Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club

Mandalorian Armor => Helmets => Topic started by: Chickenperson on Apr 05, 2020, 10:04 PM

Title: A cautionary Sintra Helmet build WIP.
Post by: Chickenperson on Apr 05, 2020, 10:04 PM
Dear February Emily, what were you thinking? Sintra is not a good material for building helmets. You knew that. Why did you insist on using it anyways? Love, a very tired and frustrated and confused March/April Emily.
Anyways, on with the WIP.
I started out checking size with a paper template build and that was fine. It was good. That is where I should have stopped and transferred to cardstock. Here's what I actually did:
(https://i.imgur.com/VwBNENm.jpg)
I transferred it to Sintra. And then reformed the paper template to give myself a mold for shaping. Did I consult my clan or any part of the forum before any of this? No. I read a bunch of posts but thought I knew better. And for some reason I didn't want to modify a hard hat or skateboard helmet. Here's how it went:
(https://i.imgur.com/y0h2mWV.jpg)
Surprisingly not awful. I don't have a good picture of the finished product, but it was kinda rough. I filled in the gap at the top with some hot glue and thought a lot about my life decisions.
Fast forward to March's quarantine. I decided to see if I could turn this mess into a good helmet. I sanded a couple high spots down, then I added two layers of fiberglass weave on the inside and one on the outside to help smooth the outside so there would be fewer gaps to fill in. I was able to get the pieces of the dome super close to each other but there were definitely places that would have to be filled in. I had reinforced the entire helmet so I lightly coated the entire helmet in Bondo to cover the texture of the fiberglass cloth.
Here it is before and after some coating and sanding. A lot of sanding. Several hours over the course of a few days of sanding. Why did I do this to myself? Who knows! My hands were seriously sore from gripping the cordless sander. Side note: my entire athletic career has been developing foot strength. Grip strength has never been my thing. I'm a ballerina and a violin player, and I seriously underestimated how much sanding would be involved in this project.
(https://i.imgur.com/e22IGyo.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/3kb0cRh.jpg)
(https://i.imgur.com/ebr5jHJ.jpg)
I got to the point there were only a few dents that I was having a hard time seeing because of color differences between different layers of bondo and some black scuff marks from working on our outside table, so I hit it with a layer of filler primer.
(https://i.imgur.com/budVtBP.jpg)
Next step was to fill in those last few spots and cut out the visor because for some reason I decided to not bondo the spot for the visor (I mean, it makes sense. I think) and there were some gaps that would have to be filled in before paint and I didn't want to do more with that than I had to. You can see those spots in the above pictures. I grabbed my handy dandy Dremel tool, which overheated about halfway through because I paused and made the incredibly daring decision to put it on its charger and it didn't like that. So now it's cut out thanks to the fact that my family has both a corded and a cordless Dremel tool for some reason. I cut a little inside the lines with the cutting wheel and now I need to finish sanding out the visor, because I don't trust myself to do smooth curves, especially in the corners, with the cutting wheel.
And here's where we're at now:
(https://i.imgur.com/rTUjb2K.jpg)
You may notice a color difference with those patches. They're wood filler because by this point I was sick of working with bondo and I really didn't want to spend too much more time sanding. Wood filler is easier to apply and therefore has less sanding involved. Not recommended to replace bondo, but I was down to pinholes and really tiny spots that needed to be filled. More primer, more Dremel work, and some paint  still to go, but that last step will require some waiting because I do not have the right color of paint at home and there's a global pandemic going on so I'm not going to the store until absolutely necessary. I also need ears. And a visor. And my sister asked for a helmet so now I get to do this all again but not with a Sintra dome this time.
Title: Re: A cautionary Sintra Helmet build WIP.
Post by: Grimstuff on Apr 06, 2020, 01:30 AM
Oh yeah, trust me, there was definitely nothing wrong with your technique there. Triangle doming always takes a lotta filler work, and yeah especially with the stiffer materials like sintra. The project is always 90% sanding, 10% everything else once bondo is involved  ;)

Also, instead of the wood filler for the smaller holes, a really nice thing you can try is insta-cure superglue and babypowder (https://youtu.be/NA2XJ7PTT3M), mix them together into a paste, and it makes a really great quick-setting mini filler that you can snipe into spots. Assumin you have those two things around during the apocalypse of course though.
Title: Re: A cautionary Sintra Helmet build WIP.
Post by: Chickenperson on Apr 06, 2020, 10:00 AM
There may be some insta-cure superglue somewhere hidden in the garage, but no baby powder in this house so it'll be a while before I can try that. We're set up to where we have at least a week and a half until we need groceries again and the plan is to not leave the house until then. I will definitely give it a try when I can get out of the house to get supplies though.