Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

"Trash Can" armor help?

• 23 Replies
"Trash Can" armor help?
« on: Oct 04, 2015, 04:36 PM »
Hi guys, anyways I was thinking about purchasing this at Wal-mart to do my armor:

And I was thinking: can I cut out the pieces with just a box-cutter (that's all that I got for cutting things) or do I need to also by a pair of tin snips?

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: "Trash Can" armor help?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2015, 04:50 PM »
 It will Work .... But You may be better off in the long Run using Scraps from a local Sign Shop ...  ;)

I know it's not as Handy or easy to Acquire as a Trash bin .... But it's the Material that you will Wish
you had Started With. ( Sintra , Expanded PVC , etc. ) It has many Different Names , but it's basically the same.

I've Run the Entire Gambit of Armor Materials and While Trash bins Will Work , they Have their limitations .

Shaping & painting Being the Biggest on the list ...  :rolleyes:

If you have any Questions please Feel Free to PM me anytime .. I would be Glad to help in anyway I can .

Good luck With your Build ner'vod ..  ;D

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2015, 05:31 PM »
It will Work .... But You may be better off in the long Run using Scraps from a local Sign Shop ...  ;)

I know it's not as Handy or easy to Acquire as a Trash bin .... But it's the Material that you will Wish
you had Started With. ( Sintra , Expanded PVC , etc. ) It has many Different Names , but it's basically the same.

I've Run the Entire Gambit of Armor Materials and While Trash bins Will Work , they Have their limitations .

Shaping & painting Being the Biggest on the list ...  :rolleyes:

If you have any Questions please Feel Free to PM me anytime .. I would be Glad to help in anyway I can .

Good luck With your Build ner'vod ..  ;D

I thought I heard that "some plastic tubs and trash cans also have some sort of coating in them to prevent them from losing their intended trash can shapes. from what i have been able to tell, if the inside is really smooth and shiny compared to the outside, then it has the coating." From another topic. I checked the inside today and I didn't see that heat preventing shiny coat in it.

ConDar Ward

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2015, 05:44 PM »
 It has more to Do with the Chemical make up of the plastic ...  As Far as the Coating , it's more of a Bacteria & Stain inhibitor.

Thus the poor paint Adhesion  :-\  ... . you can Do a Bunch of Sanding and a Self Etching primer ... But the Results
could be very Hit or miss with Taping and Weathering .... I'm not Saying it's impossible ... I'm Saying With all that Work in
  You Will be better off using other plastics ... IMHO ...  ;)

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2015, 07:17 PM »
I have seen a lot of people start their armor with trash cans. I have seen most of them give up out of frustration with the difficulty in shaping it, getting it to keep its shape long-term, difficulty in painting, material fragility, etc.  I have seen VERY few people successfully build their kit out of trash can plastic to the quality that they desire, and those that do typically wind up ditching it for better materials later.

Condar knows what's up, vod, and he has your best interest at heart.  Go the extra mile and make yourself a kit you'll be happy with in the long run ;D

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7
« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2015, 07:42 PM »
I have seen a lot of people start their armor with trash cans. I have seen most of them give up out of frustration with the difficulty in shaping it, getting it to keep its shape long-term, difficulty in painting, material fragility, etc.  I have seen VERY few people successfully build their kit out of trash can plastic to the quality that they desire, and those that do typically wind up ditching it for better materials later.

Condar knows what's up, vod, and he has your best interest at heart.  Go the extra mile and make yourself a kit you'll be happy with in the long run ;D

Are there's a way to get Sintra or Sitra-like materials at any retail store?

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2015, 07:53 PM »
Sintra is also known as "expanded pic foam board" and it's what many sign shops make their signs from. If you have any near you you may be able to begs scraps off of them - and if they won't give it to you free, if you can buy it from them at least you won't have to pay shipping ;D  Make sure you research market price so you don't get overcharged, though.

« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2015, 07:57 PM »
Sintra is also known as "expanded pic foam board" and it's what many sign shops make their signs from. If you have any near you you may be able to begs scraps off of them - and if they won't give it to you free, if you can buy it from them at least you won't have to pay shipping ;D  Make sure you research market price so you don't get overcharged, though.

Gotta new thought: what about a sheet of pvc from Home Depot?

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2015, 08:00 PM »
Sure, plenty of people use it.  It is heavier than Sintra, though, just so you know.  The flat sheets may be expensive; a lot of people cut their plates from PVC pipe, which I believe is cheaper foot for foot than the flat sheets.

ConDar Ward

« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2015, 08:05 PM »

« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2015, 08:09 PM by ConDar Ward » Logged

« Reply #10 on: Oct 04, 2015, 08:19 PM »
Sure, plenty of people use it.  It is heavier than Sintra, though, just so you know.  The flat sheets may be expensive; a lot of people cut their plates from PVC pipe, which I believe is cheaper foot for foot than the flat sheets.

And it could stay in shape after heating and forming?

ConDar Ward

« Reply #11 on: Oct 04, 2015, 08:30 PM »
And it could stay in shape after heating and forming?

Yes ... I've never had any issues with it Staying in shape ....

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Oct 04, 2015, 08:31 PM »
As one who started with trash can armor and gave up, I highly recommend Sintra or PVC instead. For PVC, grab a 4" wide, 10' long PVC pipe. Cut length-wise, it makes a 10' long sheet that's just over 12" wide (4"x3.14=12.56"). If you make a segmented backplate, you can get at least a kit, if not two out of it.

« Reply #13 on: Oct 04, 2015, 10:37 PM »

So what about this?: http://m.homedepot.com/p/Palight-ProjectPVC-12-in-x-12-in-x-0-118-in-Foam-PVC-Black-Sheet-156238/205852828/

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #14 on: Oct 04, 2015, 11:27 PM »
That's only one square foot - it'll be too small for some of your plates to fit on (shins, belly, collar, etc). Although the "Foam PVC" leads me to believe that this is in fact sintra.  You're gonna need at least 2ft by 2ft in order to fit stuff on them properly; the sheets I bought were 2ft by 4ft and I needed two.  I would try Amazon, you'll get a better price (:

« Reply #15 on: Oct 10, 2015, 12:10 PM »

Thinking about going back to this method, gotta have something before Halloween. But what if I heat the sterilite plates with a heat gun, shape it, an quickly submerge it is cold water?

orion

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din (Family is more than blood.)
« Reply #16 on: Oct 10, 2015, 12:23 PM »
I think sinter would be easier and cost effective. i have noticed that the cheap trash can at Walmart are exactly that "cheap" and may crack when trying to shape. the plastic becomes brittle. stick to sinter is my recommendation and opinion unless you decide to purchase pre cut armor from a fellow mercy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3MM-1-8-SINTRA-PVC-FOAM-BOARD-PLASTIC-SHEETS-YOU-PICK-SIZE-AND-COLOR-/281469003858?var=

OM#1264
Cabur Akaata
« Reply #17 on: Oct 10, 2015, 12:34 PM »
I think sinter would be easier and cost effective. i have noticed that the cheap trash can at Walmart are exactly that "cheap" and may crack when trying to shape. the plastic becomes brittle. stick to sinter is my recommendation and opinion unless you decide to purchase pre cut armor from a fellow mercy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3MM-1-8-SINTRA-PVC-FOAM-BOARD-PLASTIC-SHEETS-YOU-PICK-SIZE-AND-COLOR-/281469003858?var=

So what about a Sterilite branded plastic tote as shown in one of the topics about a Cheap and Easy build?

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #18 on: Oct 10, 2015, 12:36 PM »
The heat and quench idea is pretty much how you've got to form trash can armor.  That's how I did mine before I upgraded to sintra.  If you can't get sintra, that's your best bet.... but do get sintra if at all you can.

« Reply #19 on: Oct 11, 2015, 11:25 AM »
The heat and quench idea is pretty much how you've got to form trash can armor.  That's how I did mine before I upgraded to sintra.  If you can't get sintra, that's your best bet.... but do get sintra if at all you can.
About the plastic totes, I can it them with either a box cutter or a pair of tin snips?

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #20 on: Oct 13, 2015, 07:59 AM »
Sintra on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O0CWRIW?keywords=sintra&qid=1444737395&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Three sheets of 2'x4'x1/8" (3mm) for about $45 with shipping.  You can get 5 sheets from the same place for about $63.  My clanmates and I have ordered from that place before and they're fast.

For a full set of armor, 1½ sheets will be enough for most people, depending on your body type and the level of coverage (light, medium, heavy)that you're going for.

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medical Corps
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #21 on: Oct 13, 2015, 09:05 AM »
Just my two cents real quick. With all the talk of "losing shape" I had to see where you're from, don't leave it in the car and you should be fine. Anything will warp under the warm Texas sun if you're not careful. :laugh:

Vhett Manda Clan - Iowa, USA
MMCC # 1013

Two things left for sniper... TIME! GIVE ME TIME!
Cabur Akaata #38     M.A.B.E.L. #042... Perfect!
VRCA #067                 M.A.C.K. #43
M.A. #175
Sniper WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=90431.0
« Reply #22 on: Oct 13, 2015, 12:50 PM »
So what about a Sterilite branded plastic tote as shown in one of the topics about a Cheap and Easy build?

That's exactly what I used before switching over to sintra early on in my build. Sure it's easy to cut with snips, but you have a very thin margin to heat it to the point where it's malleable before it starts melting, you gotta quench it to lock it into form, and it will try to warp back to its original shape anyway. It does this because the plastic used for those bins is heat-hardenning instead of the heat-formable you get with pvc (sintra and the likes)

Save yourself some frustration and get pvc foam or pipes... you'll be glad you did 😊

CAT #1573
« Reply #23 on: Oct 18, 2015, 08:57 PM »
Got it!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!