Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Full metal Scratch Build- **painted

• 21 Replies

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Full metal Scratch Build- **painted
« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2015, 11:03 PM »
Nice! I like how you left the real steel on the faceplate ;D

Actually, hotglue isn't a half-bad visor attachment method. It's easily removable in case you need/want to swap visors later ;D

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7
« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2015, 11:08 PM »
Nice! I like how you left the real steel on the faceplate ;D

Actually, hotglue isn't a half-bad visor attachment method. It's easily removable in case you need/want to swap visors later ;D

Only thing I am worried about is the from faceplate has a sight tweek in it when it warped from welding. It can be pushed back into place and I had hoped the visor attachment would solidify everything back into place. Will hot glue be strong enough?

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #17 on: Nov 12, 2015, 11:27 PM »
Faceplate is steel, visor is plastic. I think the faceplate wins in a showdown :P

Hotgluing did not fix the minor warpage in my resin helmet, so I doubt it'll fix your metal one. You could try for bolts, but I don't know if it'll do any better.  Where is the misalignment on your helmet?

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7
« Reply #18 on: Nov 12, 2015, 11:31 PM »
The right side cheek is 1/16th higher then the left...  :-\  it's easy to push into place as is with minimal force.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2015, 12:56 PM »
I'd say since you went through the trouble to build the thing out of metal to attach Chicago screws into the interior visor area and attach the visor that way. 1/16th of an inch from 10 feet away isn't going to be that noticeable to be honest. Believe me. Once it's all together the minor is overpowered by the whole!

QMU#084
« Reply #20 on: Nov 14, 2015, 03:56 PM »
I ended up clamping everything in place and welding a 1/8 x 1 metal bar across the bottom to hold it in place and it pressure fits the bottom of the visor in place. That fixed the slight warp from before and has the added benefit that it ads structural support in case I ever drop the thing. Then I tacked in tabs along the cheek and corners to also hold everything in place. I've I ever need to replace the visor I can slide it upwards and out.

Siting on my welding bench at work. It makes a fantastic grinding helmet haha.

crutchthecrusher

• Enjoy today there is no promise of tomorrow
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #21 on: Nov 14, 2015, 04:20 PM »
Great job vod looks really good

Ericr Huric
MMCC: 1193 
Firestorm Clan.                                                            wip armor http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=90153.0
Wip weapons http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=93781.msg1369941#msg1369941
Wip Helmet http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=96098.0

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!