Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Helmet WIP

• 20 Replies

Keltten

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Helmet WIP
« on: Oct 11, 2015, 12:52 PM »
Finished (For now ) bucket!

Sorry for dead links!!!

Hello All.

Just started my Bucket and could use some advice and found this section so ill update my WIP here as well!

I have a headshot props Fet bucket

Cut out the Visor with a Dremel and sanded it down.

Following Sypher I added a Horn to my Bucket

Tried let the bucket eat and then assimilate the visor. Didnt work out well so put it in my hand.

Glued on the Ears and started bondo.

Visor inside. Thank to Sypher for the help! Made a template and cut out of the facemask replacement. Added some screens and those plastic washers.

Test fitting with the bucket on! IT FITS!! (i have a really big head...)

(experimented with some paints and LOVED the green) (shoulder part here) So i added it to the bucket

First paint attempt

Didn't like the red.... so replaced it.

Now i need to start weathering.. Which i should of researched BEFORE painting if i wanted to use some of those methods.... OPS!!

Might try and figure out how to sand all the paint off and restart the paint job or thought might ask around for some help! (thus this thread)  Anyone got some ideas on how to improve this? (Very much in love with the green which is the only thing i want to keep lol

« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2016, 10:39 PM by Keltten » Logged

Kebii'laar

• Aliit o'r nare, ne tal'din.
Re: Helmet WIP
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2015, 01:11 PM »
Well, if you want paint scratched off in places, you can TRY sanding gently.  If that doesn't work just sand it all off and start over, putting down masking of some sort as you lay down colors.  Or you can just hit it lightly with some fine-grit sandpaper, give it a nice heavy blackwash and call it a day.  For the blackwash, mix some black acrylic paint, and maybe burnt sienna and burnt ombre, in with a lot of water (try 2 parts water, 1 part paint).  That'll give it a worn look without having to completely redo your paint job.

Also, is that metal flakes I see going on in that paint job?

B.E.A.R.D.S. #103, QMU #026

Gar taab besuum, ni ven'ijaati gar'gai o'r an ner'nare.  Gar ru'ba'juri gar'ade jate.
Gar'gai ven'cuyi o'r ner'nare, draar digur'la.  Ni ven'ba'juri ner'ade jate.
Ni taab besuum, gar ven'ijaati ni'gai o'r an gar'nare.  Ni ru'ba'juri ner'ade jate.

Malek Dair

• Ratiin ba'balut oya!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2015, 01:25 PM »
Fantastic paint work so far vod! With some weathering this will go from great to stellar in no time!

Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Ora vod!

Armour Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=94290.0

Helmet Thread (COMPLETED): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=95445.0

Soft Parts: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=107583.0

Gauntlets: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=114126.0

Education and armor, self defense, our tribe, our language and Our Leader All help us Survive

M.V.S. #29
B.O.M.B. #65
B.o.B.B. #009

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2015, 03:15 PM »
Very nice customization Vod! Can't wait to see more!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2015, 07:19 PM »
Great job! I like the fin/horn idea.

Ahn'vil Burk'yc

• | House Burk'yc |
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 25 official invasions. EnviroOps Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2015, 01:14 PM »
Nice bucket vod!

Advice on the overal paintscheme; a little too busy or my tastes ( stick to 2-3 colours, of wich 2 main and 1 detail ), but if you want it that way, keep at it ;)

For weathering: you don't HAVE to weather it while painting. I didn't weather it at all untill my bucket was entirely painted. Using a small sponge I just dabbed metallic paint on all edges and using a larger sponge I carefully dabbed the same metallic paint on the larger areas. Came out great according to my clan ( pics on my facebook HERE )

Keltten

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2015, 09:28 PM »

Some updated pictures. Added weathering by thinking. I do not like this red and went to remove it XD sanded other parts with 800 grit paper and liked the look! Added some custom ish snake mouth top and fangs with eyes on the side.

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2015, 09:34 PM »
I like it!

QMU#084

Ahn'vil Burk'yc

• | House Burk'yc |
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 25 official invasions. EnviroOps Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: Nov 10, 2015, 02:18 AM »
Nice snake! I like the thought that went into it :) in the same direction of dangerous animals ( jaig eyes -> viper head ) and same style as jaig eyes... yep, definately a fan here !

Keltten

« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2015, 01:43 AM »
Thank you. I want to work on it more will keep the Green parts but the rest is up in the air. Did submission to become a MO tho!

Thinking of making a Twi'lek Bucket as well. But i need to find good priced Lekku.

Keltten

« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2016, 02:22 AM »
So Got approved but wanted to make a modification to the helmet and got the OK by many peoples!

Thinking of making 2 PORTS on the back that make it look like the upper part of the Lekku are covered and well Armored and having some hang out from the neck on.

I have heard there are other Twilek mandos but couldn't find any examples so doing this 100% custom without being tainted with good ideas!

Thinking of using a circle piece on the Lekku itself (once i cut it) and having it (maybe with a magnet) clip (and magnet) into the ports. Still working on the idea tho! BUT REALLY excited!

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2016, 04:00 PM »
Ooooh! This I wanna see.

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2016, 05:44 PM »
Lekkuphiles... ;D

Ahn'vil Burk'yc

• | House Burk'yc |
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2016, 02:44 AM »
One of my clanvode has made a new kit with a lekku integrated. He bought an NME props bucket and cut out the back, making room for his lekku to come out. Don't think he is on the forum though ( well, not active that is ).

pics can be found on the Twin Suns Facebookpage ( and like it while you're at it :P )

Keltten

« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2016, 10:29 PM »
SO my Twilek is DONE!

I might make a new post detailing what i did if i see some people requesting it. (which means ill take more pictures XD of details)

So i went with an armored Lekku look.

This is what i started with.

was getting some Lekku from Twi'lek Pam.

Then i used some Cree body paint to get the color i wanted.

Then i had to come up with a method to add ports that come OUT from the helmet instead of just having cut out thats allow the lekky to hang out.. Lekku need SOME protection!!

SO i got some 3 inch pipes from Home Depot

(Painted Lekku and complete pipes)

Then i cut the pipes to fit to my bucket. Then i put some sintra INSIDE the pipe and glued that in. Then i used the sintra in the pipe to be used to attach to the bucket (with screws)

After cutting the Lekku i put some vecro around the base of the lekku and put velcro into the pipe as well!
This allows me to re arange the lekku as i see fit to put them pointing out away from my body or closer. As im a big guy i had them pointing away.

I Also took some girp padding and added into the pvc pipe to help protect the lekku and give it a air tight look if you looked in.

Cree paint is rubbing off at this point! and got some epoxy on the lekku.. (tried to glue sintra inside with magnets.... didnt work... LATEX and all)

Attached the Pipes via screws and the sintra in the pipes to my bucket!

(painting it as i kinda messed up my paint job)

Couldnt save the paint job... TT_TT

Had to have a Test Fiting!!

Had to say at this point i was like AWSOME!! but had to hide the glue.... was going to do bondo but a friend suggested that i put another material on it to give it more color. So with the advise of Syper i added some metal grating like object! No picture of just this part as i wanted to keep it a surpise untill the first troop i had.

So here is the finished result.
Granted i still need to work on getting the lekku to fall back more its hard! (granted after this picture i turned the lekku around so they pointed in a little bit more!)

Thinking a hanger pushing the lekku might work as the inside is just pillow stuffing.

Pros and cons

Pros
EVERYONE knew i was a twilek.! Everyone thought i looked amazing (and as a big guy that means a lot to me!)

Keltten

« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2016, 10:40 PM »
Twilek bucket!

Bowfanny

« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2016, 10:44 PM »
Giggity there Vod!

QMU#084

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2016, 11:31 PM »
Ohhh that's clever I love it! So simple, and yet, you NAILED that Twi'lek shape! I haven't seen too many completed Twi'lek Mandos, but yours definitely hit all the right notes. Great job!

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2016, 11:02 AM »

Thinking a hanger pushing the lekku might work as the inside is just pillow stuffing.

Awesome build! I've been curious how people pull of the twilek kits. It's awesome!

Random question. Who is the Mando in the hood?

Zbrush | Rhino3D | Fusion360 | Pixal Designs

Keltten

« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2016, 03:44 PM »
Awesome build! I've been curious how people pull of the twilek kits. It's awesome!

Random question. Who is the Mando in the hood?
Thanks! I couldn't find any examples so my version is just off the top of my head. I am still looking for others to see if I can improve mine.

Hooded mando is a recruit!

Keltten

« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2016, 12:41 AM »
Posted a better Wip/Tutorial on my bucket in a new post XD much more organized!

also got a good pic from my first troop with the bucket!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!