Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Helmet WIP Tips welcome!

• 61 Replies

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: First Helmet
« Reply #50 on: Jan 19, 2016, 12:03 PM »
The difference is noticeable when roughing out a shape.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #51 on: Jan 19, 2016, 06:48 PM »
yeah... i used 40 then 60 then 80 on a lot of my plastics projects in school.... i just wanted a lot of my facts straight before i tried to finish this

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #52 on: Jan 19, 2016, 08:12 PM »
Facts come straight!? Blasphemy! Lol jk lol

QMU#084
« Reply #53 on: Jan 19, 2016, 08:36 PM »
lol, hopefully at least the helm will be done before coast con

Bowfanny

« Reply #54 on: Jan 19, 2016, 08:43 PM »
Fingers crossed for ya Vod!

QMU#084
« Reply #55 on: Jan 19, 2016, 08:44 PM »
thanks, the sanding is a pain in the butt right now...

Zedrin Ho'dag

• Nothing's impossible; impossible just takes longer
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #56 on: Jan 20, 2016, 09:09 AM »
You may want to step up to 40 or 20 grit...

:laugh:     :laugh:

MMCC-0537 | M.A.J.I.C-047 | M.A-025 | M.A.D-004 | B.E.A.R.D.S.-028 | V.A.B.S.-004 | V.R.C.A.-069 | S.O.S.-013 | O.S.B.A.-000
« Reply #57 on: Jan 20, 2016, 05:29 PM »
ol, yeah I Got 40

« Reply #58 on: Jan 30, 2016, 12:40 PM »
Updates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any tips from here? I'm using some Bastard Rasps for the detail, and a palm sander for the big work.

Bowfanny

Re: First Helmet WIP Tips welcome!
« Reply #59 on: Jan 30, 2016, 04:50 PM »
Few more hours with the palm sander. Then touch it up with a little more bondo. I seriously sand it down

The blue on this last helmet was the resin (I added a resin pigment because I was bored).

Here's how thin I go on occasion for a smoother helmet in general

Hope these examples of my stuff are something of a help.

QMU#084
« Reply #60 on: Jan 31, 2016, 03:48 PM »
So, the helmet doesn't have to 100% bondoed? like i was trying to make the helmet not have any light come through... does it Have to be like that??? or can i paint it when its really thin? its been my only challenge... i've used a lot of bondo trying to cover it completely...

Bowfanny

« Reply #61 on: Jan 31, 2016, 04:32 PM »
So, the helmet doesn't have to 100% bondoed? like i was trying to make the helmet not have any light come through... does it Have to be like that??? or can i paint it when its really thin? its been my only challenge... i've used a lot of bondo trying to cover it completely...
You just want it to look smooth. The see through areas on that helmet were recovered with more bondo once the whole thing was evenly smooth. I added the bondoglass for strength in the thin areas.

QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!