Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

MCarger81's W.I.P.

• 64 Replies
MCarger81's W.I.P.
« on: Nov 16, 2015, 06:26 PM »
Hey Vods here is the start of my WIP, it took me about a month but, I have finally completed my Own Vest and now needing some armor template advice. As you see i'm struggling trying to tape them on   ??? and i feel they are the right size EXCEPT my collar... is it me or does it seem off, wrong angle or just too big?  much advice is greatly appreciated

Toa

• Peace is good, but war is where valor is proven
Re: My W.I.P. Now available to show...please help!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2015, 07:03 PM »
The collar is too wide. I had the same issue. But the spacing looks good, and the size looks good except the collar.

War never changes. But no man survives it unchanged.

Svik Katora

• Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2015, 07:18 PM »
The plates might be a bit low to, the collar plate is supposed to sit high. The advice I got from an app team member is to set it about where your shirt collar would sit normally. And the rest of the plates would come up to match it. But yes, the collar plate appears to be a bit too wide as well. Great job on the vest by the way vod! Looks like it fits you really well, you might have to find a way to either tuck the straps in somewhere or hide them a bit, but other than that, top notch.

« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2015, 07:22 PM »
The collar is too wide. I had the same issue. But the spacing looks good, and the size looks good except the collar.

Yes that's what i thought, it's back to the drawing board to fix them up, thank you!

« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2015, 07:23 PM »
The plates might be a bit low to, the collar plate is supposed to sit high. The advice I got from an app team member is to set it about where your shirt collar would sit normally. And the rest of the plates would come up to match it. But yes, the collar plate appears to be a bit too wide as well. Great job on the vest by the way vod! Looks like it fits you really well, you might have to find a way to either tuck the straps in somewhere or hide them a bit, but other than that, top notch.

ok so if I round the inside of the collar and narrow it some then i should be good, thank you for the advice and kind words!

Svik Katora

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2015, 07:25 PM »
Yup, after that you should be golden.

« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2015, 07:26 PM »
Yup, after that you should be golden.

Perfect! Also i'll do what you said and maybe make some velcro for the straps to hide them, maybe buttons...

« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2015, 08:25 PM »
Ok so i did some cutting and re-arranging of my templates, please let let me know if this works especially the collar. I also moved up the ab plate and the pec places.Thoughts and ideas?

Svik Katora

« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2015, 08:49 PM »
Looks good to me.

« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2015, 11:27 AM »
Looks good to me.

Thanks for the good news Svik  :D i'm going to start on the cog next and backplate templates then once all is cut and approved I'll get to the Real cutting

« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2015, 05:26 PM »
I'm working on my paper template for the Back Plate, can you guys post up some pics of yours? for some reason i'm having a hard time putting the image in my head as to how it is attached to the back

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2015, 07:00 PM »
To me, the plates look a bit big still. Not by much though. It's almost universal that people think the plates need to be bigger than they really are. Take a good close look at Jango and Boba, and you'll see they really are fairly small compared to their body size. I don't think you need to lose more than 1/8" all around to make it perfect, although in reality it's probably approvable as-is.

I'd still try and move that collar up all the way so it's just below the neck hole of the vest. You may even want to trim a little more out of the curve of the collar for your neck so the wings can sit up higher on your collar bone. Again, I'd start with 1/8", post a pic, and if necessary take another 1/8" off. Shouldn't need more than 1/4" though to get it up where it should be.

Keep up the great work!

« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2015, 07:08 PM »
To me, the plates look a bit big still. Not by much though. It's almost universal that people think the plates need to be bigger than they really are. Take a good close look at Jango and Boba, and you'll see they really are fairly small compared to their body size. I don't think you need to lose more than 1/8" all around to make it perfect, although in reality it's probably approvable as-is.

I'd still try and move that collar up all the way so it's just below the neck hole of the vest. You may even want to trim a little more out of the curve of the collar for your neck so the wings can sit up higher on your collar bone. Again, I'd start with 1/8", post a pic, and if necessary take another 1/8" off. Shouldn't need more than 1/4" though to get it up where it should be.

Keep up the great work!

Great Info, thank you Ralin I'll start with an 1/8th and see how that works, if anything that'll probably help alot since it's a tad hard to cross my arms

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2015, 08:26 AM »
Yeah, I was just gonna say the collar still looks a bit wide, Ralin is (no surprise) right on the money. That little trim should make you golden

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2015, 05:20 AM »
I'm working on my paper template for the Back Plate, can you guys post up some pics of yours? for some reason i'm having a hard time putting the image in my head as to how it is attached to the back

Side view, rivetted to the vest at the top tabs and under the arms.

Older shot but hopefully helpful:

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2015, 12:04 PM »
Thanks Kris & Kiffren for your pics, that helps alot!  and yes i've actually trimmed down my plates all by 1/4" i will be trying it on today and resending a pic for verification. Thanks all for your help!

« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2015, 03:04 PM »
Alright here's an update of my templates which I  trimmed roughly 1/4" all around and also the collar, it feels and looks much more like the orig. Boba/ Jango. After studying pictures long enough, one gets either blurred vision or his eyes become open lol let me know if this is passable

Erio J'uni

• Trust me. All you are to me is a paycheck!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 75 official invasions.
« Reply #17 on: Nov 20, 2015, 07:46 PM »
Sizing looks SO much better!  You're on your way, vod.

MMCC #899 | B.O.M.B. #1 - The Bomb'alor | M.A.J.I.C. #132 | K.O.M.S. #17 | B.O.O.M. #11 | The IT-Mando Society #11 | Grey Brigade #59
« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2015, 08:37 PM »
Sizing looks much better! I don't know what's going on with your collar plate though. I assume that bump is due to the material under it? But it looks kind of like it's wider in the middle so I'm hoping that's just the picture angle. You might even be able to move your collar (and all your plates) up a hair more but I think you're getting pretty close to spot on.

Ya that bump unfortunatley is just from the paper/ tape but i assure it's not really like that  here's a pic with out it on me... I think this should show what it really will look like.

« Reply #19 on: Nov 24, 2015, 03:55 PM »
So i've got my template ready for the my backplate, but can someone tell me.... is this a two man job to heat up the material (Sintra) and mold it to my back? cause it sounds difficult to tackle by myself lol when all else fails... ask the wife ;D

Lynn TXP 0369

• He's no good to me dead.
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade
« Reply #20 on: Nov 24, 2015, 04:36 PM »
Loving the vest and the armor is looking really good!! The last sizing hit it's mark pretty good.
The back is a two person job to get it right. Just don't have the wife use the heat gun with you in it thinking it is a hair dryer though... :laugh: :o
Lynn

Phil. 4:13
Ex Phoenix Squadron member TXP 0369.
Helmet done.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=100331.15

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #21 on: Nov 24, 2015, 05:02 PM »
Aye, backplates are best with 2 people. I find bribery works well to get the second pair of hands.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #22 on: Nov 25, 2015, 12:26 AM »
thanks lynn... haha ya i'll treat her to a nice dinner and then ask after the fact  8)

« Reply #23 on: Nov 26, 2015, 04:41 PM »
I usually use 3 people plus the one who it's being formed to. I get the plastic all floppy (not just parts of it, the entire thing). The person getting it formed needs something to protect them from the hot plastic (usually a sweatshirt does the trick). One person holds the shoulders, one holds the sides (kidneys), and the third rubs over the entire back to get it shaped nicely. Usually we form backplates at armor parties when there are lots of people available to help.

It can be formed with one or two people but it works better if you have more.

Very informative Kiffren, thank you for sharing and I'll try to get more helping hands as well.

« Reply #24 on: Oct 28, 2016, 02:04 PM »
It's been too long since I've uploaded any new pics let alone worked on my wip, but i've finally got the space and resources now. As you can see the armor is a real "W.I.P"  :o  more to come!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!