Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kestra's Kit;soft parts

• 29 Replies

Kestra Wades

• Fear Nothing
Re: Kestra's Kit;soft parts
« Reply #15 on: Apr 24, 2017, 11:30 PM »
Ok...having better luck today (maybe)...

FIrst off...my waist sash

This would be the underside...I'm just proud of precision topstitching...that's all :)

Next is the interior front of my vest

Exterior front. 

The back is finished exactly like the front.  Eventually the points at the bottom will be trimmed off.  Originally the pattern was for a Victorian styled Steampunk jacket from the Simplicity line.  The Jacket had six pieces, but I combined the two side sections to make a single side pattern. 

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #16 on: Apr 25, 2017, 07:53 PM »
Oh fancy! Looking good!

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Custom Armor WIP - Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
Bounty hunting is a complicated profession...

Aria

• They told me to dress for the job I want...
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Most invasions trooped in 2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Weapons
« Reply #17 on: Apr 28, 2017, 02:24 AM »
That's looking really nice! I like the color.

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Kestra Wades

• Fear Nothing
« Reply #18 on: Apr 28, 2017, 08:32 AM »
Finished the vest, still need to add closures though, going to lace the sides and add some sturdy snaps to the neck opening.  The flight suit top needs a gusset in the arms to keep them from binding and I still need to do something about the lower arm.   Hopefully I"ll be able to get some more serious work done next Sunday, cause I'd like to start getting my plates cut and worked on.

BTW; would beads be considered stwarsy?  I'm thinking of using some bugle beads on my armor for texture and others to decorate other parts of my kits, like it was once something finer but had gotten all beat up and there's one or two really stubborn beads that refuse to drop off.

Kryamla Redalur

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #19 on: Apr 28, 2017, 12:16 PM »
I would look to padme for inspiration about beads. A lot of her costumes/outfits have beads and youdould probably get some ideas from her :)

Aria

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Most invasions trooped in 2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Weapons
« Reply #20 on: Apr 29, 2017, 02:26 AM »
I have rustic wooden beads on my kit as trophies. Beads are beads, they're pretty much universal as long as you get generic shaped ones (not cute little ladybugs that my cousin wanted to put on my kit!  :laugh:) they should be OK.

If you have a concept of what you want to do with them though and can post it, that would be helpful for us to help you know if it can be approved. :)

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

S'keara Charev

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions EnviroOps Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #21 on: Apr 30, 2017, 10:08 PM »
Wow, this looks great! I love the vest!

“Hey bounty hunter, when was the last time you brought someone in warm”?....”the last time someone didn’t tick me off”

Kestra Wades

• Fear Nothing
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 11:13 AM »
Ok....had pictures but somehow I've managed to foul things up....not surprising to be honest.  I think I'll start fresh and get some new pics taken.

« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2017, 08:09 PM by Kestra Wades » Logged

Aria

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2017, 01:59 AM »
It looks like the picture links are not working (at least in my browser). Photoshop has been doing that lately to my uploads too.

The Aria Pics
He/Him

Kestra Wades

• Fear Nothing
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2017, 09:09 AM »
I've switched to Flickr, but I'll see if I can get it working tonight. 

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2017, 08:38 PM »
It looks like the picture links are not working (at least in my browser). Photoshop has been doing that lately to my uploads too.
Sadly I don't see the pictures either :(

Akaleh Skirata

• This is all Karen Traviss' fault.
« Reply #26 on: Jun 12, 2017, 11:46 AM »
The images won't work for me either. Can't wait to see them though! It could be that you're using the wrong link- I don't know anything about flickr, but I think you want the one that ends with .jpg or .png. I use imgur and I've had issues with getting the wrong link before.

Love your flak vest design- my ori'vod and I were thinking about doing something like that for her flak vest. The only problem is that my sewing method is basically 'guess and check'- which works out most of the time, but on princess seams? That's a bit out of my depth. Those are called princess seams, right? I'm not actually sure. Great to have a sewing expert in the clan!

I have spoken.
OM #1882 | MAJIC #183
Akaleh Skirata|Beviin Shrike|Costume Gallery|Character Story

Hik'aari

• Nickaari
  • Awards Shock Infantry Brigade Member TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Weapons Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #27 on: Jun 12, 2017, 04:17 PM »
Just recently changed photo servers so I'm not sure if this is coming out right or not.

Flickr doesn't work unfortunately from just copying the URL from your internet browser.

As part of our Comprehensive Forum Guide we have a section on Posting Photos. This is a pictorial guide for both Desktop and Mobile support.

I have personally used Photobucket for years, but have found it to become unreliable recently. It does not always load, images do not always display etc.
Flickr I only used for a short amount of time, and kept finding that it posts the photos sideways to the forum.
Because of this I now use Imgur and find it to be significantly more reliable than the other two.

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Kestra Wades

• Fear Nothing
« Reply #28 on: Jun 12, 2017, 08:16 PM »
Love your flak vest design- my ori'vod and I were thinking about doing something like that for her flak vest. The only problem is that my sewing method is basically 'guess and check'- which works out most of the time, but on princess seams? That's a bit out of my depth. Those are called princess seams, right? I'm not actually sure. Great to have a sewing expert in the clan!

Those are princess seams!  When it comes to sewing them it's a simple matter of matching the raw edges with the right sides together.  Fabric in general and canvas especially is (thankfully) not sintra and works well with curves. I've done a bit more sewing with this than absolutely necessary but a) I didn't want fraying edges and b) didn't want the seams getting twisted under the armor and making things uncomfortable.   

If you need anything, just PM me, happy to help a vod out :)

Akaleh Skirata

• This is all Karen Traviss' fault.
« Reply #29 on: Jun 12, 2017, 11:04 PM »
Thanks! It might be a while, but I'll hit you up when we get to her flak vest!

Excited to see your plates when you get the picture situation figured out!

I have spoken.
OM #1882 | MAJIC #183
Akaleh Skirata|Beviin Shrike|Costume Gallery|Character Story

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!