Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kestra's Kit;soft parts

• 29 Replies

Kestra Wades

• Fear Nothing
Kestra's Kit;soft parts
« on: Nov 17, 2015, 06:47 PM »
Ok, time for me to get to getting on my soft parts thread.

I've got several factors in my favor here, first I've got a good amount of experience in sewing, so starting from scratch is not an issue, second I've got a good sized fabric stash to work from.

[imghttp://][/img]

Ok, the fabrics left to right are black#1, grey #1, blue #1, black #2, grey #2 and blue #2

Black #1 is Cotton broadcloth and will eventually be fashioned into my two piece flightsuit.

Grey #1 is a suedecloth which will become the pouches for my ammo belt.  It looks nice and soft, but I've got methods and techniques that will allow it to be rigid to some degree.

Blue #1 is a brushed canvas scavenged off an old Renaissance cloak which will become vest, loincloth and kamas.

Black #2 is an interesting piece of animal print panne velvet that looks a lot like a real animal hide, so I was thinking of using this for some sort of trophy piece if I couldn't incorporate it into my kit itself.

Grey #2 is a polyester blend fabric called "silkessense", very silky and soft to the touch, and I was thinking this would work ideally for my cape.  While it is the lightest fabric I'm working with on this kit, I've got ways of adding weight to it so it has a little more character.

Blue #2 is also cotton broadcloth and will eventually become my waist sash.

So time for me to get to work!  I have to figure out how to give a pattern a little more for my waist still, but the cape is going to be a pretty simple ordeal so I'll start on that first.  Then I'll get the flightsuit started.

Kestra Wades

• Fear Nothing
Re: Kestra's Kit;soft parts
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2015, 07:52 PM »
Cape complete!  Took a good part of the day considering part of my day actually took me to the fabric shop because I sadly didn't plan on how to use the fabric I had nor had I enough to do what I was wanting. 

I went with a half-circle cape which is surprisingly simple to make given a few tools and enough ambition. 

To make the pattern I started with a piece of paper large enough to fit the size I was wanting to make.  Initially I wanted the radius of my cape to be 30 inches, but I forgot to add for seam allowance so it turned out a little smaller.   I used a corner of my paper to be the center of my circle, measured 30 inches along the raw edge of the paper then shifted my ruler in a rough curve, keeping the point at my 30" mark and then eyeballed the rest of the curve, turned out pretty well to be honest.

I did have to add some extra paper to one edge to get the full 30 inches, but that's a standard practice for me.  So got the dark grey cut and  then decided an emergency run to the store was necessary.   They didn't have the same color on hand, yet they did have a lighter grey which seems to work out just as well.

I had cut the dark grey on the fold, but wound up cutting that in half for two quarter circles.  I repeated that with the light grey and with some muslin to give the cape a little weight.  I seamed the matching quarter circles together, adding the muslin to the light grey and then sewed the two half circles together around the perimeter, leaving a little bit open along the edge to turn it.  Clipping the curve helps let it lie flat and trimming the seam allowance in half reduces bulk.   Finished product here;

The way it lies on the table now is how it will hang from my shoulders eventually.  I'm planning on attaching two hooks where I want it to hang on my shoulders and then four eyes to my vest so I can choose to hang it different ways if I so wish.

If anyone wants a tutorial let me know!  I'd love to help with that :)

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2015, 11:12 AM »
Oooh fancy. /watches with interest.

I like the color selection you have there. Looking good!

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Nishi Ja'tejag

• Kal bat te woor!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2016, 04:39 PM »
Cape looks great. Love the colour palatte.

Nishi Ja'tejag

Riye cuyir te tauira be a ori'jate jag.  Ni shi jate jag.  Pirusti, Ni cuy' an staabi!

Armour Planning WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=78236.0

Soft Parts WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=77697.0

WIP Photo Gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronsneary/albums/72157717142691673

Backstory: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=196736.0

Kestra Wades

• Fear Nothing
« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2016, 04:21 PM »
Not dead yet!!  I've been busy working on vests for others, but I'm going to give myself a little priority now and then!

Found a terrific deal on boots at a local Kohl's today, apparently April is the ultimate clearance sale on boots.  This pair was originally $119.99 but I got it for about $23.99 plus tax.  I'm hoping this is acceptable but if it isn't they're still sweet! 8)

Flightsuit is still in the works so hopefully I'll have that ready for pics soon, at least I have it fitting now!

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2016, 08:20 AM »
 ;)  I Don't See These Being a problem ... unless there is something I'm missing ..  :rolleyes:

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2016, 09:32 PM »
What a great deal on the boots! They should work just fine :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Kestra Wades

• Fear Nothing
« Reply #7 on: Apr 03, 2017, 09:02 AM »
Sorry I've been neglecting this, but I've had things happen since then and life has gotten crazy (death in the family).  But I'm on track now and just need to kick myself in the shebs.  My plates are cut and have started working on my gauntlets so I'll be posting armor pics soon.

Also have an interesting idea using bugle beads directly on my armor for greeblies.

Aria

• They told me to dress for the job I want
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2017, 02:43 AM »
Good to hear from you again, Kestra! I'm sorry to hear about the death in your family, vod.  :( Life is hard sometimes and I wish I could help.

I am looking forward to seeing what you have for armor and the rest of your soft parts though!

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Kestra Wades

• Fear Nothing
« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2017, 09:19 AM »
Thanks. :) 

First things first though, somehow, during a hiatus on sewing, my sewing room got turned into a junk room and I have to work on getting that cleared up. (Spring fever with a bad case of spring cleaning should help!)  I've got a good start so far, Sunday may be a good day to dig in and really get some work done.

Aria

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #10 on: Apr 09, 2017, 11:32 AM »
Oh no! I wish I could say that's never happened to my sewing room too.... :laugh:

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Kestra Wades

• Fear Nothing
« Reply #11 on: Apr 18, 2017, 10:41 PM »
Pictures coming soon!  Got a waist sash knocked out in that royal blue broadcloth.  Funny thing is I intended to use a bum roll base as a base for my sash so I could do some interesting pleats and twists to it, but seeing it as it is, I might just use it this way instead. 

I've changed plans on my flightsuit because things just didn't work as I'd hoped and I wasn't able to put as much into it as I would have liked.  For the bottoms, I took a dressy pair of black jeans and removed the back pockets.  For the top, I've got some black canvas that is a good match and I FINALLY got the pattern to fit me well enough that I'm happy with it.  Either that or I'm losing weight, which isn't a bad thing (I chalk it up to healthy eating and cutting down on junk). 

Got the vest cut and ready to assemble.  Planning on a side closure, so I'll see what interesting things I can do with it.

In other words; PROGRESS!  :laugh:

Aria

« Reply #12 on: Apr 19, 2017, 12:39 AM »
In other words; PROGRESS!  :laugh:
Sounds like you're making a lot of it!!  :laugh: I am looking forward to seeing pictures. :)

The Aria Pics
He/Him

Kestra Wades

• Fear Nothing
« Reply #13 on: Apr 23, 2017, 09:47 AM »
Snags...I hate snags...especially when it comes to sewing, but I think I got this covered.  The sleeve for my top wound up binding my upper arm when I raised it, but instead of doing something drastic (like cutting the whole thing off, remaking and wasting more time and fabric) I'm splitting the underarm seam about 4-6 inches and then inserting a gusset to give me a little allowance.  I'm also going to have to tighten up the lower sleeve to fit under my gaunts.

My vest is together and looking FANTASTIC...I couldn't be happier with it.  ;D  I did something interesting with the inner and shoulder seams.  Instead of just letting them loose, I  zigzagged the seams together where I could namely the sides to front and back and shoulder seams except for the section I left open for my head to.  After that, I then topstiched the seam to the front and back so the whole thing lies flat so it's a little more comfortable.  Also has the nice side effect of making the whole thing a little sturdier.

I've got pics, but right now Photobucket doesn't like me...will post them soon.

« Reply #14 on: Apr 24, 2017, 01:59 PM »
Hmmm. I want to see this vest!

Always a pleasure to meet a Jedi.
                                              -Jango Fett
MTS (Mando-Tough) #098

Kestra Wades

• Fear Nothing
« Reply #15 on: Apr 24, 2017, 11:30 PM »
Ok...having better luck today (maybe)...

FIrst off...my waist sash

This would be the underside...I'm just proud of precision topstitching...that's all :)

Next is the interior front of my vest

Exterior front. 

The back is finished exactly like the front.  Eventually the points at the bottom will be trimmed off.  Originally the pattern was for a Victorian styled Steampunk jacket from the Simplicity line.  The Jacket had six pieces, but I combined the two side sections to make a single side pattern. 

Kryamla Redalur

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: Apr 25, 2017, 07:53 PM »
Oh fancy! Looking good!

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Aria

« Reply #17 on: Apr 28, 2017, 02:24 AM »
That's looking really nice! I like the color.

The Aria Pics
He/Him

Kestra Wades

• Fear Nothing
« Reply #18 on: Apr 28, 2017, 08:32 AM »
Finished the vest, still need to add closures though, going to lace the sides and add some sturdy snaps to the neck opening.  The flight suit top needs a gusset in the arms to keep them from binding and I still need to do something about the lower arm.   Hopefully I"ll be able to get some more serious work done next Sunday, cause I'd like to start getting my plates cut and worked on.

BTW; would beads be considered stwarsy?  I'm thinking of using some bugle beads on my armor for texture and others to decorate other parts of my kits, like it was once something finer but had gotten all beat up and there's one or two really stubborn beads that refuse to drop off.

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #19 on: Apr 28, 2017, 12:16 PM »
I would look to padme for inspiration about beads. A lot of her costumes/outfits have beads and youdould probably get some ideas from her :)

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Aria

« Reply #20 on: Apr 29, 2017, 02:26 AM »
I have rustic wooden beads on my kit as trophies. Beads are beads, they're pretty much universal as long as you get generic shaped ones (not cute little ladybugs that my cousin wanted to put on my kit!  :laugh:) they should be OK.

If you have a concept of what you want to do with them though and can post it, that would be helpful for us to help you know if it can be approved. :)

The Aria Pics
He/Him

Ca'tra Sarad

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #21 on: Apr 30, 2017, 10:08 PM »
Wow, this looks great! I love the vest!

“Hey bounty hunter, when was the last time you brought someone in warm”?..

Brigades Application:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=form;n=4

Kestra Wades

• Fear Nothing
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 11:13 AM »
Ok....had pictures but somehow I've managed to foul things up....not surprising to be honest.  I think I'll start fresh and get some new pics taken.

« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2017, 08:09 PM by Kestra Wades » Logged

Aria

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2017, 01:59 AM »
It looks like the picture links are not working (at least in my browser). Photoshop has been doing that lately to my uploads too.

The Aria Pics
He/Him

Kestra Wades

• Fear Nothing
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2017, 09:09 AM »
I've switched to Flickr, but I'll see if I can get it working tonight. 

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!