Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Blaster Sound and Light Circuit

• 15 Replies

arc97

Blaster Sound and Light Circuit
« on: Nov 21, 2015, 12:20 PM »
Hey guys! I decided to put lights and sound inside my modded Nerf Recon.  Here is the circuit diagram.

And what I have so far.

So what it does is play a pulsing hum when idling and it plays Mandalorian blaster sounds when depressed.
The problem is with the lighting part: there are 3 volts moving through the switch, so when I put the LED(s) on the circuit, they don't light at all.  How could I wire the LED(s) into the switch?

Karjair

• MMCC #1027
  • Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Blaster Sound and Light Circuit
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2015, 09:00 AM »
I'm not an electronics expert so someone feel free to correct me here. I looked up the Adafruit board pinout and triggering information and it appears your LED is connected to two inputs and ground.
There are eleven trigger pins - named #0 thru #10

You don't have to use them all! We just had lotsa pins so we made them all available.

Each trigger bin is an input that we recommend using with a pushbutton or tactile button or other kind of switch. When the # pin is connected to GND for more than about 50 milliseconds it will trigger! There is a 100K pull up resistor on each one, so you do not need any extra resistors or pullups. -- From Adafruit's Website

arc97

« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2015, 09:40 AM »
It's actually connected to a double throw switch.  The Normally Open is where the LED is on the diagram so that it is powered when the switch is pressed.  Pin 10 is the normally closed, so that plays the idle hum.

« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2015, 12:25 AM »
It looks like you need to connect the anode side of the LED to +V instead of pin 0, since your switch closes to ground. You could solder it directly to VIN.

I would also put a small resistor on the ground side for safety - something like a 330 or 560 ohms would do the trick.

Ahn'vil Burk'yc

• | House Burk'yc |
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 25 official invasions. EnviroOps Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2015, 03:48 AM »
Foxman is right, the LED needs to be powered ( and right now it isn't as it's wired between 2 inputs and GND ). So just wire it to Vin instead of pin 0 ( so when the switch closes into the NC position, the current flows from Vin through the resistor through the led to GND.

But then I think you'll need to add some things to play the firing sound, as you'll won't be using pin 0 ( which I assume triggers the firing sound ).

p.s: I know it sounds like I'm talking to a child, but this way you can visualise stuff better in my opinion :) no offense meant ;)

arc97

« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2015, 01:22 PM »
like this?

Bfahome

• I'm sure it will all work out in the end!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2015, 09:54 PM »
That doesn't look like it'd be a good way of wiring it, because now you have the battery wired to the 0 pin (albeit through an LED and resistor) which may cause problems with the board, and might even fry it (can't say for certain, don't know the exact specs on the board and neither the product page nor tutorial specifies exactly how the board is built from what I can see).

If you can separate the LED's power from the connection between the trigger pin and GND, that might be the best option.  A double-pull-double-throw switch that runs two isolated connections in parallel might be something to look into, because it would trigger both the board and LED without crossing the two circuits.

arc97

« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2015, 10:14 PM »
What about a diode?

Ahn'vil Burk'yc

• | House Burk'yc |
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 25 official invasions. EnviroOps Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2015, 02:33 AM »
Diode would do the trick :) just shove it in there ( remember polarity people. ).

Let us know if it works now ;)

arc97

« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2015, 12:21 PM »
Got the circuit done. I'm also gonna add two accessory buttons for random sounds. So far I have the cantina band, any other ideas?

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2015, 04:17 PM »
Random stormtrooper crosstalk, blaster fight, lightsaber, Artoo sounds?

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

arc97

« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2016, 10:59 AM »
Status report, I got it all bottled up.

For ease of access, I left the old access port open so I can access the board's USB and the battery pack.

When fired it fires a yellow led and plays one of the mando blaster sounds from the clone wars. There are two accessory buttons on the left side that play whatever I put in the board via USB. I'll post an updated circuit diagram.

« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2016, 07:52 PM »
Did you ever get an updated schematic completed?

Boba Dean

"Lau'De Lachlor"

Bucket: 75%
Rifle: 90%
Flight Suit: 100%
Armor: 0% / Legacy Armor
Vest: 100%
Boots: 100%
Other Weapons: 25% / Nintendo Zapper Hybrid
Gaunts: 0%
Kama: 0%
Loin Cloth: 0%
Cape: 0%
Gloves: 100%

arc97

« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2016, 09:12 PM »
Did you ever get an updated schematic completed?
Sorry. I did. I'll post it as soon as I get home from christmas

« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2016, 07:12 AM »
Sorry. I did. I'll post it as soon as I get home from christmas

Thanks... I appreciate it!  Merry Christmas!!  ;D

Boba Dean

"Lau'De Lachlor"

Bucket: 75%
Rifle: 90%
Flight Suit: 100%
Armor: 0% / Legacy Armor
Vest: 100%
Boots: 100%
Other Weapons: 25% / Nintendo Zapper Hybrid
Gaunts: 0%
Kama: 0%
Loin Cloth: 0%
Cape: 0%
Gloves: 100%

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!