Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Snaps?

• 20 Replies
Snaps?
« on: Nov 25, 2015, 09:58 PM »
I know the following are allowed to attaching chest armor:

-Velcro
-Magnets
-Snaps
-Bolts
-Rivets

My question is: how do you attach snaps to the vest if glue isn't allowed?

Ihala

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Snaps?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2015, 10:27 PM »
You need to use the heavy duty marine snaps, you glue the snap portion of the top half to the back of the armor...then the bottom part is a two-piece that goes onto the vest (front and back, sandwiching the fabric) through a small hole, similar to a grommet.  You have to hammer them together.
Did that make sense?  You could glue the snap to the vest but it wouldn't hold well.  You can use glue to attach the fasteners...you just can't glue the armor directly to the vest.

Elek, ke gana ash...
"Yes, have some..."

MMCC #1112
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2015, 10:34 PM »
You need to use the heavy duty marine snaps, you glue the snap portion of the top half to the back of the armor...then the bottom part is a two-piece that goes onto the vest (front and back, sandwiching the fabric) through a small hole, similar to a grommet.  You have to hammer them together.
Did that make sense?  You could glue the snap to the vest but it wouldn't hold well.  You can use glue to attach the fasteners...you just can't glue the armor directly to the vest.

Yep! Made sense! I think I'll be going towards velcro strips sown onto the vest. Not sure if I want to glue or put holes in my vest.

Ihala

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2015, 08:41 AM »
I prefer Velcro personally, you have to be incredibly precise with snaps.  Velcro lets you adjust your plates if need be.

Elek, ke gana ash...
"Yes, have some..."

MMCC #1112

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2015, 08:42 AM »
Velcro is my preferred method. The problem (for me) with snaps or chicago screws is that if you're a fraction of an inch off, your armor will be crooked.  And once you poke a hole in your vest, it's there for good.

You can try to attach the snap with fabric glue, but most glues will eventually fall or rip off.

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medical Corps
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2015, 06:21 PM »
Another vote for industrial strength sew-on Velcro. 4+ years and nary a problem with mine.

Jaing

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2015, 06:27 PM »
Another vote for industrial strength sew-on Velcro. 4+ years and nary a problem with mine.

Same here. All my chest armor uses the industrial strength sew on Velcro. I've used snaps on leg plates before but if you're off at all it will be crooked and is a pain to remove the snap and reposition it.

« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2015, 07:20 PM »
Is it difficult to sow on velcro strips to the vest? I'm guessing it would be depending on the material type.

Ihala

« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2015, 07:26 PM »
Is it difficult to sow on velcro strips to the vest? I'm guessing it would be depending on the material type.
Totally depends on the vest.  If it is a couple layers of canvas + Velcro, then any sewing machine should handle it with a heavy duty needle.  If it's leather, or really padded, maybe have to hand stitch it.

Elek, ke gana ash...
"Yes, have some..."

MMCC #1112
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2015, 07:30 PM »
My vest is made from duck cloth so it shouldn't be that hard. Time to improve on my sowing skills  :laugh:

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2015, 07:22 PM »
I have one of K'raam Xrati's duckcloth vests and I used iron-on velcro with no problems (don't use the peel-and-stick; it will come off in the wash).

Medical Corps

« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2015, 10:13 PM »
I have one of K'raam Xrati's duckcloth vests and I used iron-on velcro with no problems (don't use the peel-and-stick; it will come off in the wash).

Would walmart carry this Iron-on velcro?

EDIT: Found some on amazon.ca I'll order them later. Do I have to use an Iron for this? Or would a heat gun work?

http://www.amazon.ca/Velcro-Brand-Fasteners-Fabric-Fusion/dp/B00DV67W92/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1448773162&sr=8-4&keywords=velcro+fusion

« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2015, 12:02 AM by Aden Banto » Logged

Vraeden

« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2015, 02:34 PM »
I think Wal-mart carries it.  I'd go with the Velcro branded stuff, not the knock-off.  I'd use an iron, not a heat gun.

I get mine at Joann.  They have an app that has coupons you can use from a smartphone, plus they have coupons on their webpage and in the local newspaper (remember those?).  Usually there's at least one coupon for 40-50% off any one item, and as long as the coupons have different SKU numbers, you can use multiple coupons in the same purchase transaction.

Medical Corps

« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2015, 04:24 PM »
I think Wal-mart carries it.  I'd go with the Velcro branded stuff, not the knock-off.  I'd use an iron, not a heat gun.

I get mine at Joann.  They have an app that has coupons you can use from a smartphone, plus they have coupons on their webpage and in the local newspaper (remember those?).  Usually there's at least one coupon for 40-50% off any one item, and as long as the coupons have different SKU numbers, you can use multiple coupons in the same purchase transaction.

I'm from Alberta Canada. Never heard of it before!  :laugh:

I'll look into it though. Mind attaching a link to the page for the Velcro goods?

« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2015, 02:05 AM »
I also have a question about snaps so I figured I'd post it in this thread too...

Has anyone had a problem with snaps being too thick for installing armour?

Like when you use Velcro, the armour sits quite flush with the vest, but with snaps I feel like it might sit a bit far from the vest because snaps themselves are a little thick.

I just wondered how many vod'e have actually used snaps and how it looks when finished?

Thanks everyone, sorry to highjack the thread (I'm happy to repost this in a separate thread if it's required)

Beskar'gam progress:

Bucket: NME Props Assassin (completed)
Gauntlets: Bo Katan  (completed)
Armour: 0% (need to buy)
Soft Parts: 0% (making from scratch)
nme props jetpack: 0% (raw kit)
Weapon: DL-44
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2015, 03:22 AM »
No problem vod, good question.  :)

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2015, 04:47 AM »
In my opinion, snaps do make the plates sit a bit farther than my liking from the vest. It's personal preference though.

« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2015, 06:34 PM »
In my opinion, snaps do make the plates sit a bit farther than my liking from the vest. It's personal preference though.

Yeah fair enough, thanks Ralin.

Do you or does anyone else have photos of what armour looks like with the snaps installed?

I bought a bunch of snaps already intending to use them for this suit but it only just occurred to me when I posted my question that it may not look too great, so now I'm thinking of going velcro... :\

Beskar'gam progress:

Bucket: NME Props Assassin (completed)
Gauntlets: Bo Katan  (completed)
Armour: 0% (need to buy)
Soft Parts: 0% (making from scratch)
nme props jetpack: 0% (raw kit)
Weapon: DL-44

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2015, 07:03 PM »
Keep the snaps back an inch or more from the edge or they will show; they're secondary attachment. Velcro should be 1/4" to 1/8" from the edge; primary attachment and will keep the edges from floating. I use Dritz size 10 sew on snaps. That way if I mess up the placement I can cut a stitch and redo. ;)

Vhett Manda Clan - Iowa, USA
MMCC # 1013

Two things left for sniper... TIME! GIVE ME TIME!
Cabur Akaata #38     M.A.B.E.L. #042... Perfect!
VRCA #067                 M.A.C.K. #43
M.A. #175
Sniper WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=90431.0

Rion Han

• That is my real name....
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2015, 01:49 PM »
Greetings all, just thought I'd weigh in with my method for attaching with snaps. I thought snaps would make the plates "float" too much from the armor, so my solution was to create countersink holes in the armor to take in the extra space. Using a heat tool (and vapor mask for fumes) I made a slight cradle to rest the female half of the snap.

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2015, 02:29 PM »
I plan on doing something very similar, but using chicago screws counter-sunk into to the back of my plates.  The chicago screws will go in eyelets on my vest/flightsuit.  This should make for very tight fitting plates, that can be removed should I need to wash anything.  :)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!