Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Lynn TXP 0369 armor (WIP)

• 11 Replies

Lynn TXP 0369

• He's no good to me dead.
  • Awards Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade
Lynn TXP 0369 armor (WIP)
« on: Nov 25, 2015, 10:04 PM »
Got my chest, shoulder, and neck collar armor all trimmed and ready to paint.

I gotta cut the slots for the chest lights.

I decided to get my feet wet with attaching the shoulder armor.
I'm using Chicago screws epoxied to the armor along with Velcro for initial placement .

I then cut holes in the vest and used 1/4" grommets for the Chicago screws to pass through.

Lynn

« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2015, 12:24 PM by Lynn TXP 0369 » Logged
Phil. 4:13
Ex Phoenix Squadron member TXP 0369.
Helmet done.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=100331.15

Lynn TXP 0369

Re: Lynn TXP 0369 armor (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2015, 09:21 AM »
 I got the collar armor on using the same method as the shoulders.

I ran out of Chicago screws and I'll have to go back to the hardware store and get more.
I can get the Velcro on the armor and glued to the vest until I get more.
Lynn

Helmet done.

Lynn TXP 0369

« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2015, 09:12 PM »

The armor is all fitted now, I still have to fit the back plate to the neck collar, but the front is done.

I took a break from the gauntlets to get this done, now I can take it off and paint it up.

Lynn

Helmet done.

Vinthiz

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2015, 12:37 AM »
looking good really good! Especially love that bucket, keep it up! ;D

"Nice blaster, it's a start. So what do you do with your free hand? Fix your hair, strike a pose, or is your aim so shaky you need two?" -Gen Vizla

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2015, 09:40 AM »
Not sure if it's the picture angle, or that its on a mannequin, but the spacing seems to be a little off around that ab plate. I'd just double check it while it's on you to be sure.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Lynn TXP 0369

« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2015, 03:39 PM »
Not sure if it's the picture angle, or that its on a mannequin, but the spacing seems to be a little off around that ab plate. I'd just double check it while it's on you to be sure.
It is because of the mannequin, it fits and looks fine on me. It is an XL on a size small mannequin, so it is like a tent on him and draped all over the place.

The great thing about armor spacing is that it can be a off and be OK.
There are a bunch of Fett pics either movie stills or promotional shots and a lot of them have some kind of funky spacing,

I'm going by promo and museum display set placement for the most part and is how this build is being done.  It doesn't need to be perfectly spaced all around, the pics show that.

Different suit same movie.

Even if I was off I isn't as extreme as the pics posted.
I'm not going to worry about it if it is off a little bit.
Lynn.

« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2015, 03:57 PM by Lynn TXP 0369 » Logged
Helmet done.

Reyn Vok'chi

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2015, 08:22 PM »
Love that bucket  8)
Be mindful that when it comes to submitting your app, the spacing discrepancies apply only to particular canon Boba Fett builds and the single most common cause of kickbacks is poor plate spacing. Likewise, unless you are doing a canon Boba, the signature dents in the armour and helmet are not allowed.
You've done some really nice work so far, keep it up I can't wait for more.

Lynn TXP 0369

« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2015, 09:41 PM »
Thanks!
Advice taken on dents, if I'm accepted, I'm accepted, if not, that is fine too.

I'm here to help when and if needed to anyone needs some tips, tricks, etc., enjoy the costumes that  I see,  and most of all have fun doing this and troop when done.

I have a vision on where this look is going, that will not change.

Lynn

Helmet done.

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2015, 07:37 PM »
Thanks!
Advice taken on dents, if I'm accepted, I'm accepted, if not, that is fine too.

I'm here to help when and if needed to anyone needs some tips, tricks, etc., enjoy the costumes that  I see,  and most of all have fun doing this and troop when done.

I have a vision on where this look is going, that will not change.

Lynn

Hey! Love that you went with Boba armor and vest. Don't see a lot of vac formed armor for customs, but I always appreciate the extra mile taken.

I'll echo what has been said about the armor spacing. We have really clear rules for custom costumes regarding armor spacing. You're saying that you'll take your chances on the application process, but you have two people here who will be voting on your app giving you feedback. We want to help you and save you headache later on down the line by giving you a heads up that it won't pass as is.

Boba's armor placement in ESB is pretty jacked up. It actually took me several tries to place my armor to mimic the jacked up-edness of his armor placement for my own ESB costume. I still didn't get it totally right. You've done a good job of mimicking the ESB placement, but you aren't making an ESB as far as I understand, right? I noticed you also linked some ROTJ and SE pics. They fixed the spacing issues in those movies. You should be going for something closer to that. You'll still get the Boba look, but it'll be the Boba look that looks right and wasn't where they were putting his knees on upside down because the person that dressed him didn't know how the costume worked :laugh:

Personally, I don't think anyone is requesting that you change your vision, unless your vision is solely dependent on mimicking the ESB chestplate placement (which would be a weird thing to center a costume on :laugh:). I know changing spacing when you've used bolts isn't the easiest thing in the world (I did it 4 times on my Boba), but I think it will improve the look of your custom Mando.

Lynn TXP 0369

« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2015, 09:45 PM »
Thanks for the comps and also noted on what you said, and thanks!
I wasn't trying to say my plates where placed like the ESB Fett, I was just saying that the ESB and some ROTJ plates are jacked up and not spaced great.

My spacing is like the pre pro Fett, thumb space top plate to collar, and 1/2" or so all around the rest.

The spacing on the mannequin looks wonky because it is going from my 46" inch chest down to a 38" inch chest so it is draped over it like a tent with a lot of sagging. Believe me, I had that vest on like 20+ times placing and checking those plates and it took me well over 3 hours last night just to put on the three plates.
Lynn

Helmet done.

Lynn TXP 0369

« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2015, 07:08 PM »
I finally got my 1" nylon webbing so I can rig up my cod and girth belt.

I'm going with a Kama for now so I won't need a kidney plate.

Lynn

« Last Edit: Dec 13, 2015, 07:11 PM by Lynn TXP 0369 » Logged
Helmet done.

Lynn TXP 0369

« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2016, 08:39 PM »
Went in a different direction for my kit.
Mandalorian protector.

All ready for my first outing this Saturday night.

Jet pack and boot spikes should be here in the next few weeks.
Lynn

« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2016, 08:57 PM by Lynn TXP 0369 » Logged
Helmet done.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!