Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vez's Early Crusader WIP

• 22 Replies

Vez Nau'ur

• Bibamus, moriendum est!
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Vez's Early Crusader WIP
« on: Dec 07, 2015, 11:22 AM »
Hello everyone!

Been toying with the idea of making an early cusader for a while now. After I went though seugtai's VERY detailed build, I decided to go ahead with it and giving myself the objective of Montreal Comic Con this summer as a "ready to be worn" date and hopefully have it ready for approval as well.

I really liked seugtai's idea of using papier maché, for the shoulders so I'll imitate her technique. This is what I have so far and I'm looking for a second opinion. I find they might be a bit big, but as the CRL states, "Note that most shoulder armor of this era is large and covers the entire shoulder as to protect the shoulder joint." so I'm not a 100% sure right now. I'm thinking of cutting off a bit of the sides and make the bottom tip a bit less pronounced. I'll be adding some ridges on the sides to give it that layered look.

Canada Ver Al'verde
Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Vez's Early Crusader WIP
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2015, 03:18 PM »
I like the size of the shoulders, I think they look pretty awesome. 8)
Looking forward to watching your build!

Vez Nau'ur

• Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2015, 03:35 PM »
I like the size of the shoulders, I think they look pretty awesome. 8)
Looking forward to watching your build!

Ohh thank you! I'll make sure to post regular updates!

Actually, question for you if I may? When I was reading through your build, you didn't show much in the building the base of your bucket, I'm guessing you took the Boba template and used that on a bike helmet or something? How did you reinforce everything, papier maché/fiberglass?

I should be getting some supplies during the week and start scratch building my bucket. Thinking of going with a Taung like facial structure, so the horns on the cheeks, ridges over the eyes/eyebrows that extend to the back of the bucket and have the hoses imitate the "antenna/tentacle" they have.

Canada Ver Al'verde
Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2015, 04:43 PM »
That sounds like a cool concept, looking forward to seeing it take shape.
Sent you a PM. ;)

Vez Nau'ur

« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2015, 11:18 AM »
Alrighty, small update! So I spoke a bit with seugtai over PM and she gave me some really good pointers! I'll be picking up some supplies at Canadian Tire after work but I fear I won't be able to find everything I need (I don't think they have the drywall/fiberglass tape, might have to go to an actual hardware store for that).

I'll be also working on the base of the bucket on Friday/weekend, I'll try with a bicycle helmet first with the WOF template around it (really don't feel like making a dome) and go from there. Hopefully that will come out well, otherwise I might go with a pepakura base but I don't have much patience with Pep...

I also cut out the other shoulder base and I did fix a bit the curves (they were visibly not the same curve and kinda broke the look on the side a bit). I'll be fiberglassing those probably Friday.

In the meantime I went ahead and ordered myself a Red Kap dark brown coverall. It's what I have for my current kit (but black) and I'm pretty satisfied with it. Went with a bigger fit since I always complain about my current one being a bit too tight.

Also, anyone have any metallurgy skills that could share? I'd like to make some custom buckles and O rings for my shoulder spikes (I'll attach leather strips around the O rings and place them around the spikes, a bit like a harness, hope that makes sense).

EDIT (NO DOUBLE POSTING!)
I also started thinking about what kind of weapon I want to have, I definitely want a melee one. I'm still debating between a spear like this one:

Or a style of bone or beskad long sword/scimitar.

« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2015, 11:22 AM by Vez Nau'ur » Logged
Canada Ver Al'verde
Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

Vez Nau'ur

« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2015, 09:49 AM »
Alright, so I finally attempted fiberglassing. I never did this before so I have absolutely no idea if this is a good application. But this is the results, it's only one layer on the outer side (I'll do the inner side later) and I'm using seugtai's idea of using drywall tape over the fiberglass cloth. I seem to have mix feelings about it since it kept moving around and unsticking from my piece., maybe I'm doing something wrong? Anyways. I'll do both shoulders like this, I think two coats of resin should be plenty (I think?) and then I can start adding some bondo.

I also have to make a better work place for this. I improvised myself a "fume hood" in my apartment but it seems it wasn't enough to keep the smell out of my apartment so I'll isolate that more, get a lamp for it and a heater since I have to keep the window open and a good Canadian winter should be arriving soon. It's still warm outside but I'd rather keep the area warm (It's still around 2-3 Celsius/ 35-37 Fahrenheit).

Anyways, here are the photos. Like I said, I had some issues with the drywall tape moving around while I was applying the resin, it had a better coverage initially.

Canada Ver Al'verde
Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2015, 10:51 AM »
Did you add a small bit of hot glue down around the edges and along the seam lines of the tape? That will keep it from coming up while you are applying the resin. Just make sure it's a thin layer, not a bead of glue. I just run the tip of my glue gun along the piece while lightly releasing glue.

Just cut the overhang off before you add anymore resin. ;)
It's looking good though.

Vez Nau'ur

« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2015, 11:03 AM »
Did you add a small bit of hot glue down around the edges and along the seam lines of the tape? That will keep it from coming up while you are applying the resin. Just make sure it's a thin layer, not a bead of glue. I just run the tip of my glue gun along the piece while lightly releasing glue.

Just cut the overhang off before you add anymore resin. ;)
It's looking good though.

Huh. I'll try that! Thanks :)

And yeah I already snipped all the overhang. Should I go with a second layer?

Canada Ver Al'verde
Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

Vez Nau'ur

« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2015, 02:55 PM »
I did the inner side of the shoulder...and oops! Seems I put a way too much resin. It's nicely coated but I do have a puddle.

On another note, maybe I should return my engineering degree, seems I forgot how physics work!

I'll do the next shoulder tomorrow (with less resin)... in the mean time, I'm going to go get ready for the premiere tonight!! 501st and Merc party! Hurray!

Canada Ver Al'verde
Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

Vez Nau'ur

« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2015, 04:09 PM »
Alrighty! Update time! Sorry for the loads of pictures, I'm a big fan of documenting the heck out of everything.

So I added some extra layers of resin on the shoulder pieces, some sanding then bondo the heck out of them! Still in the rough, I'm thinking of adding an extra layer of bondo to hide those spots where we see the fiberglass but it's smooth so I don't think it's entirely necessary. So I tentatively drew what I want as a final shape. So some side ridges and three spikes

Thinking of making those spikes smaller, that would require a ton load of epoxy putty to build...

Also thinking of shortening those ridges, not a 100% sure yet.

I pretty much sludged the underside with bondo with my hands (wore some latex gloves), still need to give it a good sanding but my hand sander can't reach those curves inside, so I would need to do it by hand.

I also started my bucket based off WOF template. Seems to be the right size if I compare it with my regular bucket. For now I'm building it standard, but I'll modify the cheeks and make the chin and cheeks longer. I kinda did the dome separately and in hindsight, I should have taped it to the bottom part before making it... so I'll have to redo that since I'm unable to get it to fit.

Now I'm kinda worried that the paper I used won't do the trick. It's not regular paper, it's much thicker and more rigid, but it's not what other people use. So hopefully once I start applying the resin, it won't implode...

Oh, and I also receive my jumpsuit! Perfect chocolate brown that I wanted! I got smart this time, and I ordered one with a two way zipper... and slightly larger, so it fits me like a glove and I won't be worried about drinking water anymore!

I'm going to start cutting out the pieces for my thighs (out of Sintra) based of Jango's pattern and modify them a bit so they are not that easily recognizable. I'm also meeting with a friend of mine who does leather working for LARPs, and he'll show me some vambraces patterns that I can make. I'll make those and add a piece of armor on top of it. He should also show me some basic shirt and/or vest patterns I could use for my upper body armor.

Then I'll have to figure out ab and knee plates and other soft parts but one thing at a time!

One final thing. I decided to do a beast hunter kit. So I'll be making sure I get all the requirements for that while I build everything.

Canada Ver Al'verde
Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2015, 11:39 AM »
Awesome work so far. Can't wait to see where this goes.  :)

"... we think too often in terms of dualism: Jedi or Sith, light or dark, right or wrong. But there are three sides to this blade, not two, opposed and similar at the same time . . . the third edge is the Mandalorian."   - Vergere

Armor WIP

Vez Nau'ur

« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2015, 05:27 PM »
Alrighty! Loads of sanding on my shoulders and started some detailing work but no pictures for now. Though I decided to drop the side ridges and only make a small elevation around the shoulders with some bone sticking out a bit and shorter spikes. But, I worked more on the bucket, so this is what I have for now in terms of design.

So Essentially, I made the chin a bit longer and curved the cheeks a bit. I still need to think how I'm going to attach the hoses in the back of the head, as a reminder I'm working on a "taung" style skull.

I might skip the pointy chin as that might be a problem while wearing it, but those "tentacles" in the back of the head is what I want to do with the hoses. Thinking of trying to find a 1 inch wide slinky hose, I think those would do the trick.

Awesome work so far. Can't wait to see where this goes.  :)

Thanks! I can't wait to have it completed! :D

Canada Ver Al'verde
Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

Vez Nau'ur

« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2015, 11:49 PM »
Short update!

Worked a bit more on the shoulders. Added the spikes and the ridges/details! I'll be smoothing them out soon with some bondo to make them seamless but for now I did sand them down a bit to integrate them the best I could.

I also began working on my thighs. Decided to use some 6mm sintra as a base, I'll shape them out tomorrow and begin sanding out the sides. I'll have to apply some generous amounts of sloppy bondo to make them look more bone like.

Otherwise, I finished adding the drywall tape on the paper bucket and applied a first coat of resin on it. I'll add another coat tomorrow and then add some more drywall tape on the inside and slowly start adding some resin on the inside (with fiberglass). I'll make sure to add quite a few layers to make sure it's solid.

That's it for now.  I must say, this has been an incredibly fun build thus far!

EDIT:

Quick edit since I don't want to double post. Since I still got 1 hour left on my movie, decided to shape the plates real quick. Here's the result.

Might start working on the handplates. Still undecided if I should use some 3mm or 6mm sintra for the base of those. I know I'm rough on my kit so I'm worried that 3mm + bondo is going to break. Things to ponder about.

« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2015, 12:08 AM by Vez Nau'ur » Logged
Canada Ver Al'verde
Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

Vez Nau'ur

« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2015, 05:53 PM »
Worked on the base of the vambraces. This is what I got.

These are made of 3oz cow leather, I gave them a quick burnish, traced out a random pattern, based on source material I saw. Most of those details will be hidden since I'll be adding an armor plate on top of them. Thinking of closing these with buckles, maybe some brass ones? Though I feel that would make them too steampunk'ish. Still thinking about it, I'll try to headout to Tandy leather this week to look at that and pick up some dark brown dye for these parts. I'll take a look at the same time for some materials for the loincloth.

I'll be working on the upper body leather piece soon, still not a 100% sure how I'll make them but I guess I'll have to start somewhere.

Bucket is progressing nicely I think. Slow process but hopefully it'll look nice at the end!

Canada Ver Al'verde
Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

Vez Nau'ur

« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2016, 11:05 PM »
Alright I haven't posted in a while, been busy with work (had to fly to California). But time to get back into it! So no pictures today, did some more bondo on my shoulder pieces, I'll be sanding those and hopefully dropping a first coat of primer this Saturday.

For the bucket, I nearly poisoned myself with the fiberglass resin, so uhm... gotta find a better ventilated area for that. Got an armor party coming up so might take that opportunity there.

Otherwise I'm trying to figure out how to attach my vambraces to myself. I'm thinking some buckles with leather. I want to finish the strapping method before I work on the armor piece for the forearm, that way I'll have a better view of things and the shape of how the armor plate will look like.

Added a small coat of bondo on the thigh plates to give it that bone look, I'm debating on the look I want with those, thinking of adding some small spikes like on the shoulders and leather straps that "wrap" around the leg.

Otherwise I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an easy to make pattern for a "vest". Won't exactly be a vest, more like the top half of one, but I can work from that once I get the actual pattern. Been trying to trace the vest from my normal Mando, but been having some issues on getting a good trace. Might not be trying hard enough.

Anyways that's all, another post coming up on Sunday after I get some work done. Need to pass quickly at Tandy's to get some supplies, I'm all out of dye.

Canada Ver Al'verde
Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

Vez Nau'ur

« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2016, 02:43 PM »
Alright, got loads of work done on the plates! I still need the weather to warm up before I can continue working on the bucket. Anyways, here is what I've done! So I put on a coat of white primer on my shoulder pieces.

I sculpted my thighs a bit. Still not sure what to do with the open space. Maybe just leave them like that. I'm open to suggestions!

I sculpted my knees a bit. I also free handed the templates, I think they came out nice! Thinking of making some large spikes from these, never know when you got to knee someone in the stomach ;)

And I sculpted my arm pieces. Now these I'm thinking of fixing these to the vambraces by making three large spikes, placing an O-ring around each of them with leather attached to the O-rings and riveting them further down, by "pulling" the straps. Maybe even extend them and have them also act as my closing mechanism with buckles.

That's about it for now.

Canada Ver Al'verde
Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2016, 12:10 PM »
Amazing work!

Vez Nau'ur

« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2016, 09:26 PM »
Update time!

So not much progress, been awfully busy with work and D&D. But I worked on the spikes for the knee and forearm plates. I'm kinda happy!

It's really just a base coat of white primer. I'll go get some of the paints I need for the bone texture, and I might start working on those this weekend.

I also worked a bit on the bucket at our latest armor party. Got a coat of resin on the outer layer and a coat on the inside. Still need an additional coat or two on the inside before I'll be happy with the solidity. It looks pretty rough, but that doesn't matter since I'll be slopping bondo on that anyways ;)

Finally I'm still struggling with the vest pattern, but whilst watching Adam Savage on Tested, he showed a small technique he uses for copying patterns. Just cover the section of the fabric with some painters or masking tape. So I did that on my current vest.

Then you take the tape off and put it on some craft paper.

And voilà! I got my patterns! :)
Hopefully I can start working on the first version of the patterns this weekend (gotta modify the master templates) and be golden for starting the leather vest.

Canada Ver Al'verde
Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

Vez Nau'ur

« Reply #18 on: Jul 15, 2016, 10:00 PM »
Sorry for Necro! Been pretty busy but I don't want to start another thread... so here is my progress on this build!

My bucket is at this stage, I'm debating if I should make those cheeks less pronounced or not. I'm not sure also if I wanna go Taung style for the bucket as I had originally planned.

Got a bunch of my parts painted. Any thoughts? I hope I got the technique right to paint bone. I feel it looks fine but I think I might be biased :) Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Foreams:

Knees:

Thighs:

Shoulders:

Canada Ver Al'verde
Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

Vez Nau'ur

« Reply #19 on: Jul 23, 2016, 06:50 PM »
Alright, so I decided to scrap the Taung style bucket and go with something more animal like, since I'm building this guy as a Beast Hunter. So I was thinking of doing a "spine" of sorts over the bucket with spikes coming out, this is a rough sketch. The visor I think I'm gonna make it look very aggressive, with pointy ends. Though I'm still not settled on the overall look, might also make it very organic and not 100% straight. As for the spine thing, last tube instead of a spike, it'll be the entry point for one of the tubes, thinking of doing a second small one in one of the cheeks.

http://s835.photobucket.com/user/calvinference/media/Early%20Crusader%20WIP/Bucket/20160723_184515_zps1gdxggmx.jpg.html

Canada Ver Al'verde
Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP
« Reply #20 on: Aug 29, 2016, 01:26 AM »
Alright, I'm looking through all of my bookmarked threads, and I just re-stumbled on this one. I wanted to comment on here to say this looks awesome, though I don't know much about Early Crusaders, and also out of some urge to encourage you. Sometimes I feel when I post several times in a row without anyone saying anything, that they aren't noticing or don't approve, and I don't want anyone else to feel that way.

Vez Nau'ur

« Reply #21 on: Aug 29, 2016, 09:03 AM »
Alright, I'm looking through all of my bookmarked threads, and I just re-stumbled on this one. I wanted to comment on here to say this looks awesome, though I don't know much about Early Crusaders, and also out of some urge to encourage you. Sometimes I feel when I post several times in a row without anyone saying anything, that they aren't noticing or don't approve, and I don't want anyone else to feel that way.

Haha thanks! But it's not big deal on my end, I'm a strong believer on documentation, which might be my professional life affecting my everyday life (I'm a software engineer), so I really don't mind.

But I thank you for the encouragements!

Canada Ver Al'verde
Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #22 on: Aug 29, 2016, 09:25 AM »
Haha thanks! But it's not big deal on my end, I'm a strong believer on documentation, which might be my professional life affecting my everyday life (I'm a software engineer), so I really don't mind.

I'm the same way, documentation is key to the business atmosphere.  I have a WIP that has maybe one or two comments, but I keep posting and updating when I get things done on my Late Crusader build.

By the way your kit looks awesome!!  Not super into the early crusaders but appreciate the dedication and superb work fellow vode put into their kits.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 85
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!