Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vez's Early Crusader WIP

• 22 Replies

Vez Nau'ur

• Bibamus, moriendum est!
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Vez's Early Crusader WIP
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2016, 02:43 PM »
Alright, got loads of work done on the plates! I still need the weather to warm up before I can continue working on the bucket. Anyways, here is what I've done! So I put on a coat of white primer on my shoulder pieces.

I sculpted my thighs a bit. Still not sure what to do with the open space. Maybe just leave them like that. I'm open to suggestions!

I sculpted my knees a bit. I also free handed the templates, I think they came out nice! Thinking of making some large spikes from these, never know when you got to knee someone in the stomach ;)

And I sculpted my arm pieces. Now these I'm thinking of fixing these to the vambraces by making three large spikes, placing an O-ring around each of them with leather attached to the O-rings and riveting them further down, by "pulling" the straps. Maybe even extend them and have them also act as my closing mechanism with buckles.

That's about it for now.

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Early Crusader WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

M.A.B.E.L. #68
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2016, 12:10 PM »
Amazing work!

Vez Nau'ur

• Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2016, 09:26 PM »
Update time!

So not much progress, been awfully busy with work and D&D. But I worked on the spikes for the knee and forearm plates. I'm kinda happy!

It's really just a base coat of white primer. I'll go get some of the paints I need for the bone texture, and I might start working on those this weekend.

I also worked a bit on the bucket at our latest armor party. Got a coat of resin on the outer layer and a coat on the inside. Still need an additional coat or two on the inside before I'll be happy with the solidity. It looks pretty rough, but that doesn't matter since I'll be slopping bondo on that anyways ;)

Finally I'm still struggling with the vest pattern, but whilst watching Adam Savage on Tested, he showed a small technique he uses for copying patterns. Just cover the section of the fabric with some painters or masking tape. So I did that on my current vest.

Then you take the tape off and put it on some craft paper.

And voilą! I got my patterns! :)
Hopefully I can start working on the first version of the patterns this weekend (gotta modify the master templates) and be golden for starting the leather vest.

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Early Crusader WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

M.A.B.E.L. #68

Vez Nau'ur

« Reply #18 on: Jul 15, 2016, 10:00 PM »
Sorry for Necro! Been pretty busy but I don't want to start another thread... so here is my progress on this build!

My bucket is at this stage, I'm debating if I should make those cheeks less pronounced or not. I'm not sure also if I wanna go Taung style for the bucket as I had originally planned.

Got a bunch of my parts painted. Any thoughts? I hope I got the technique right to paint bone. I feel it looks fine but I think I might be biased :) Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Foreams:

Knees:

Thighs:

Shoulders:

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Early Crusader WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

M.A.B.E.L. #68

Vez Nau'ur

« Reply #19 on: Jul 23, 2016, 06:50 PM »
Alright, so I decided to scrap the Taung style bucket and go with something more animal like, since I'm building this guy as a Beast Hunter. So I was thinking of doing a "spine" of sorts over the bucket with spikes coming out, this is a rough sketch. The visor I think I'm gonna make it look very aggressive, with pointy ends. Though I'm still not settled on the overall look, might also make it very organic and not 100% straight. As for the spine thing, last tube instead of a spike, it'll be the entry point for one of the tubes, thinking of doing a second small one in one of the cheeks.

http://s835.photobucket.com/user/calvinference/media/Early%20Crusader%20WIP/Bucket/20160723_184515_zps1gdxggmx.jpg.html

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Early Crusader WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

M.A.B.E.L. #68
« Reply #20 on: Aug 29, 2016, 01:26 AM »
Alright, I'm looking through all of my bookmarked threads, and I just re-stumbled on this one. I wanted to comment on here to say this looks awesome, though I don't know much about Early Crusaders, and also out of some urge to encourage you. Sometimes I feel when I post several times in a row without anyone saying anything, that they aren't noticing or don't approve, and I don't want anyone else to feel that way.

Vez Nau'ur

« Reply #21 on: Aug 29, 2016, 09:03 AM »
Alright, I'm looking through all of my bookmarked threads, and I just re-stumbled on this one. I wanted to comment on here to say this looks awesome, though I don't know much about Early Crusaders, and also out of some urge to encourage you. Sometimes I feel when I post several times in a row without anyone saying anything, that they aren't noticing or don't approve, and I don't want anyone else to feel that way.

Haha thanks! But it's not big deal on my end, I'm a strong believer on documentation, which might be my professional life affecting my everyday life (I'm a software engineer), so I really don't mind.

But I thank you for the encouragements!

Gaht Kyr'bes Clan, #912
Vez's WIP
Vez's Early Crusader WIP
Vez's Force Hunter WIP

M.A.B.E.L. #68

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC# 1330 & 1330b & TDE#388
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #22 on: Aug 29, 2016, 09:25 AM »
Haha thanks! But it's not big deal on my end, I'm a strong believer on documentation, which might be my professional life affecting my everyday life (I'm a software engineer), so I really don't mind.

I'm the same way, documentation is key to the business atmosphere.  I have a WIP that has maybe one or two comments, but I keep posting and updating when I get things done on my Late Crusader build.

By the way your kit looks awesome!!  Not super into the early crusaders but appreciate the dedication and superb work fellow vode put into their kits.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 53
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader 1330b
B.E.A.R.D.S #137 | Mando Rider #038 | ALUMINATI# 036 | MLCS# 026

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!