Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vibro-Axe and Blaster Pistol WIP

• 48 Replies
Re: Dual Vibro-Axes and Blaster Pistol WIP
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2016, 08:10 PM »
Worked on the blaster pistol chamber, the plan is to build up the domed side of the chamber with putty, then cut a niche in the bottom of the chamber to slot it into a small raised area in the grip, then drill through the domed area to mount the middle part of the barrel.

First I sanded off the text on the PVC dome and cut a template piece out of paper to transfer to styrene.
I used some sheet styrene fit together via a slot cut into each piece to make the "frame". The next step is to glue the frame to the base dome, then fill in and dome over the frame with Aves apoxie sculpt. After the Apoxie has cured, I will sand down the putty until I hit the frame again. This should mean that the putty dome will be even and shaped correctly.

"The Cabal centurion opened up on her at point-blank, and we heard the most fearsome sound. She was laughing." - Monitor Type 2 Titan armor

"Only the armor lasts" - RC 8015, Fi Skirata
OM#2184
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2016, 05:35 PM »
Another update this week.
Now that I'm starting to work with Aves Apoxie sculpt and Plastic-Weld, daily work slows down because I prefer to wait until the sculpted putty is fully cured before I sand or add more putty.

On the blaster, I am just about finished forming and sanding the chamber's "dome":

Here is a testfit with the full chamber. I plan to cut a niche into the bottom to fit more snugly agaisnt the top of the trigger housing. The large section of barrel that is directly attached to the dome will be cut and sanded to fit the curve of the dome as well.

On the axe, I glued clear plastic plates with a nice curve onto the haft midway at the endcap of the haft. These will be painted as well. The rear quillon will be sanded and shaped down to look cleaner.
I also attached a "fin" of sorts to the front handguard, mostly to breakup the pre-fab nature of the pvc shapes. I also will add a mini-pommel to the bottom of the handguard.

The quillon is built from Aves, around an armature wire core that is glued into a shaped pvc piece which will fir flush against the haft.

The end plan is to make the quillon look less lumpy of course, and sand it down to make it symmetrical and blend it into the pvc. The intention is to make it look like a single piece of forged metal.

Now the next steps are to finish attaching any greeblies that are to be mounted before the first coat of paint. Then plan details for the sleeves and finish the greeblies on the main pommel, and I've already made some progress on the pommel.

"The Cabal centurion opened up on her at point-blank, and we heard the most fearsome sound. She was laughing." - Monitor Type 2 Titan armor

OM#2184

Cakes

« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2016, 05:36 PM »
The dome looks pretty perfect to me vode. I'm sure your hand guard spikey thing will look just as sleek.

« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2016, 09:20 PM »
Some additional work completed on the blaster. Cut and sanded the niche into the chamber so it now fits flush onto the rail on top of the trigger housing. Then I trimmed and sanded one of the thicker parts of the barrel that is intended to sit against the chamber dome. I've decided not to totally smooth out all the imperfections on the dome so that when it is painted and weathered, it will have more character and a worn look to it, hopefully.

« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2016, 10:43 PM by Hiryu02 » Logged

OM#2184

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2016, 12:07 PM »
It's a good start, but you'll definitely have to even up that seam where the pipe meets the bondo. It's very obvious that it's not all one piece :( You could try to sculpt an even rim all the way around, but either way it still needs work.

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2016, 06:37 PM »
It's a good start, but you'll definitely have to even up that seam where the pipe meets the bondo. It's very obvious that it's not all one piece :( You could try to sculpt an even rim all the way around, but either way it still needs work.

Dear lord yes that seam is going to be taken care of, never fear! That is just a test fit. I am going to make sure all seams are clean and sanded. Thank you regardless for the observation.

Edit: Not meaning to be short, I was pressed for time. I plan to generally clean up all seams on the finished product before the basecoat. That chamber will have a nice defined seam where the apoxie meets the pvc. I do appreciate any and all feedback.

« Last Edit: Jan 25, 2016, 07:13 PM by Hiryu02 » Logged

OM#2184

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2016, 07:32 PM »
Ah, okay, that's good then. Some people say "some imperfections" but mean "I stopped halfway", haha. Carry on ;D

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2016, 07:49 PM »
Yes sir. I merely was saying that I wasnt going to sand the dome itself into perfect smoothness, for a bit of texture. The seams though as all going to be attacked and made clean, this is supposedly still a product of a modern manufacturing process. Or should that be it's the product of an old, old manufacturing process, in a galaxy far, far away?

OM#2184

Choruk Kar'ta

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #23 on: Apr 22, 2016, 03:02 PM »
How is the Axe coming along Vod! really want to see the end product :)

Burc'ya vaal burk'yc, burc'ya veman
« Reply #24 on: Aug 01, 2016, 07:03 PM »
Greetings vode, took a hiatus from the build for a while, but have resumed work on the kit. As I continue building and planning, I find myself looking at changes to the base design ideas due to new considerations that I had not thought about previously. In tune with my changes to my planned armor build, I have reconsidered some practical issues with the number of weapons I was planning to make.

In short, I realized that storing two melee weapons, a blaster pistol and a blaster rifle all on my person would be very unwieldy and not very practical in the end. So I have shelved the dual axes, and will instead carry only one.

I also bit the bullet and did some affixing of parts permanently, which I had been putting off, in particular the handguard on the axe.

Now, it basically needs some greeblies, a handguard end-capper and some bondo for seams and joints, then it's ready to sand and paint:

Also the grip will be wrapped with a leather strip.

On the pistol, I have sealed the back end of the chamber and laid out are the rear chamber pieces, with extended "op rod". Still debating how far out I want the rear of the pistol to protrude. The rear end of the main barrel has been sanded to fit, but not yet affixed. I am measuring  the dimensions for a sort of carry handle/tactical rail that will join the main chamber and the middle of the barrel. Filled in screwholes and added a sort of claw pommel for weight to the handgrip:

I hope to finish the main construction on both weapons this week and have them ready to sand.

« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2016, 07:08 PM by Hiryu02 » Logged

OM#2184

Den Barren

• Meg cuyir ogir at akaanir a te akaan Tio'r.
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Vibro-Axe and Blaster Pistol WIP
« Reply #25 on: Aug 01, 2016, 08:16 PM »
Looking good vod!

"Tion ke'gyce ner kad al'ijaat?"~What guides my sword if not honor?

Backstory
WIP Links
YouTube Mando Armor Tutorial Channel
« Reply #26 on: Aug 09, 2016, 07:55 PM »
Some small updates. I started using Bondo and spot putty for the first time to seal a few seams on the blaster and axe pommel.

The blaster has the two pieces of the rear chamber mounted together, and the whole thing in turn mounted to the sealed plate on the main chamber. I also trimmed the domed portion of the rear chamber and trimmed off about a quarter of an inch to shorten the length and to break up the sameness of the dimensions of the component pieces. The rear chamber is also intentionally mounted higher on the centerline towards the upper edge of the seal, again to break up the profile and to give asymmetry to the assembly.

The pommel on the axe has the small raised edges puttied in order to close the seams and give the impression of fluting around the pommel, which is also supposed to contain the power cell that powers the weapon.

Next step is to mount the charging handle to the rear of the blaster cylinder, and figure out a way to attach the rear part of the barrel to the front of the cylinder where it meets the trigger assembly as shown in earlier pictures.

On the axe, I need to find a greeblie to seal the bottom of the handguard, then it should be ready for paint.

OM#2184
« Reply #27 on: Aug 22, 2016, 12:29 PM »
Some more updates on the blaster.

I decided to use a domed nut glued to the trigger assembly to act as a centering point for the large part of the barrel. I then drilled a hole in the barrel as centered as possible to fit the dome and then mounted the barrel, and sealed the nut inside the barrel with CA glue and Plastic-Weld. Then I added some plastic-weld epoxy to the underside of the barrel to fill in the gap and adhere between the barrel and trigger housing.

Shown also with a test-fit of the upper rail/fin.

Will also fill in the rest of the seam between the dome itself and the barrel with Aves and sand smooth. Held off on mounting the charging handle because the protrusion might make later assembly difficult. Will probably add it last.

Now the next step is to decide on the length on the inner barrel, which will be mounted inside the larger part. Then figuring out how to add a flash suppressor to the end of the inner barrel.

OM#2184
« Reply #28 on: Sep 06, 2016, 10:32 AM »
Updates from this weekend. I've been working on several parts of the the kit simultaneously, but here is my most recent progress:

Courtesy of walwart housewares, I was looking for items to use in the vein of like Star Trek laser scapels aka salt and pepper shakers and ended up with some funnels, shot glasses and a wine aerator.

I will be using the wine aerator as a "flash hider". I also added aves to close the seam between the chamber dome and the barrel.

Here, I have inserted the inner barrel into the rear barrel sleeve, and affixed it with putty at the join. I padded the circumference of the gap to maintain even spacing, then used Aves to putty the join for strength and to give the appearance of a large beaded weld after sanding.

Most of the major construction is almost done at this point for the blaster. Things left to do are to attach the flash hider, clean up seams with putty, attach the rear charging handle, attach underslung "loading lever", add final small greebs and sanding, then paint.

On the axe, I closed the opening in the bottom of the handguard with a greeblie, and attempted to prime it. However I made a mistake by using just a Rustoleum generic primer which did not adhere at all properly. I apparently needed to use a PVC-specific spraypaint. I tested a "universal bonding primer" on a scrap piece of PVC, which seems to be doing a better job.

In the meantime I spent most of Monday attempting to sand off the wrong primer and clean up the axe for the next, hopefully successful coat of primer.

OM#2184
« Reply #29 on: Sep 18, 2016, 01:33 PM »
I have added the reinforcing seam to the top fin/rail.

The flash hider, rail now permanently affixed. Getting close to the end.

Painting question:

If I'm going to have it painted black as a main color, with some weathering showing where the black topcoat has "rubbed off" to expose metal beneath, is it better to go with a black coat, then highlight the wear areas with a silver or metallic paint to simulate metal peeking through.

Or should I prime in silver, black topcoat, then physically scrape off the black paint to expose the silver?

OM#2184

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!