Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vibro-Axe and Blaster Pistol WIP

• 48 Replies

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Vibro-Axe and Blaster Pistol WIP
« Reply #30 on: Sep 18, 2016, 09:39 PM »
You're staring to move in a good direction with this.  It looks a bit like the Calico Rifle.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImages/199/942633044/wm_2093640.jpg

*inbed removed by poster.  Image too large*

« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2016, 06:44 PM by Cin Vhe'rang » Logged
« Reply #31 on: Sep 18, 2016, 09:53 PM »
Thank you for the kind words. Indeed the Calico guns have been mentioned in regards to the pistol in particular. Strangely enough I had not heard of them until they were mentioned to me here, and I looked them up after and I agree that the helical cylinder mags are very striking visually and I definitely see the similarities to my WIP, especially in the side-on profile. I'm just hoping to have a design that has visual cues to real-world weapons, like the cylindrical chamber, and soon to be added underbarrel loading lever, but have Swarzy touches, like the rear half of the chamber being a "power cell", with also a mounted charging handle coming out of the cell. Plus what I hope is a sleek, sci-fi looking toprail or fin, plus a non-retangular flash hider.

Really looking forward to finishing the last few main construction details, getting some bondo in the right spots and seeing what she looks like under a black satin topcoat. I hope she comes out looking Swarzy, at the least.

"The Cabal centurion opened up on her at point-blank, and we heard the most fearsome sound. She was laughing." - Monitor Type 2 Titan armor

"Only the armor lasts" - RC 8015, Fi Skirata
OM#2184

Cakes

« Reply #32 on: Dec 14, 2016, 09:11 PM »
That looks fantastic! Definitely has a swarzy feel

« Reply #33 on: Apr 30, 2017, 07:10 PM »
I'm working on this project again, my apologies for the long delay, had a lot of IRL stuff going on and was not motivated to craft.

The Vibro-axe is still in production. I had attempted to prime it twice now, and even after scraping and sanding off the first primer job, re-primering etc, I'm still not 100% satisfied with the basecoat. I'm setting it aside for the time being.

I went back to work on the blaster and have added almost all the parts needed before basecoat. I have added the underbarrel attackment. Some mounting plates on the trigger housing for the attachment. Going to clean it up some more and add a last panel to close off the open space at the base of the underbarrel. Also I added the rear "charging handle".

After the last couple pieces are added on, it's going to be primered. I was hoping to paint this weekend, but today has been pretty much non-stop rain, so painting outdoors is a no go. Still, I'm happy to be working on this project again.

"The Cabal centurion opened up on her at point-blank, and we heard the most fearsome sound. She was laughing." - Monitor Type 2 Titan armor

OM#2184

The Bearded Mando

• Run if you must, but you will only die tired.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #34 on: Apr 30, 2017, 09:11 PM »
Blaster is looking good so far. First coat of primer will point out any issues you may have.

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2017, 07:47 PM »

Finished applying first basecoat. Used Krylon Fusion black satin. I'm letting it cure so this is the only pic for the time being. I do have a question however.

The spray can says to "apply additional coats BEFORE 24 hours, or AFTER 7 days".

Does this mean I have to add say my second basecoat by this time tomorrow, otherwise wait a week? Can I ignore this direction? I was planning to work on it more this weekend, but that's within neither of the parameters.

The plan is a 2nd black coat, then silver layer over the black, then mustard to highlight and scrape off, then black again. Do I even need the 2nd black coat? I see a couple think spots, but then silver over that should cover, right?

OM#2184

Darth_Vemon

• Crush your enemies, see them driven before you...
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2017, 09:36 PM »
I generally ignore those directions.

K'dumi haran doslanir bat vheh ures aranov.

Benjin "Farlander" Kov'nyn

Check out my fanfic:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=130493.0

Cabur Akaata #49 M5SP #22 B.O.O.M. #21 Aluminati #46
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2017, 09:46 PM »
I generally ignore those directions.

Ok, cool. I get nervous when I'm working with stuff I'm unfamiliar with and I worry about messing it up by not following directions. Thanks for the info.

OM#2184

Den Barren

• Meg cuyir ogir at akaanir a te akaan Tio'r.
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2017, 12:01 AM »

That blaster is looking awesome vod!
Ok, cool. I get nervous when I'm working with stuff I'm unfamiliar with and I worry about messing it up by not following directions. Thanks for the info.

I typically ignore that specific part of the directions. Usually, you can apply a second coat 30min-1hr apart and be fine.

"Tion ke'gyce ner kad al'ijaat?"~What guides my sword if not honor?

Backstory
WIP Links
YouTube Mando Armor Tutorial Channel
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2017, 12:52 AM »

That blaster is looking awesome vod!
I typically ignore that specific part of the directions. Usually, you can apply a second coat 30min-1hr apart and be fine.

Thanks man. Yeah, I'm going to not touch it again probably til the weekend. Also have a scrap piece I'm going to test two types of metallic silver on tomorrow probably.

I tend to work on things days apart, one day this piece, the next a different one. So I was reading the instruction and like, what? tomorrow it's going to be bondoing the edge of a vibro-blade for cleanup and gap fill, then sanding a faux edge bevel onto it.

Grats on OM btw, last time I was here you were still working on the set. Good stuff!

OM#2184
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2017, 07:06 PM »
Painted the silver layer today, going to hit it with the mustard/toothpaste technique for creating wear spots. Will let it cure overnight before I do that, if things go easy tomorrow, I'll finish applying wear spots and get a 2nd black topcoat over the blaster.

Before:

After:

Also, I bondo-ed up the edges and some uneven spots on the tip of what is going to be my wrist blade, started sanding.

OM#2184
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2017, 08:27 PM »
Small update, I added a clearcoat, then mustard weathering on top.  It is painted over again with Krylon Fusion Black and is curing again right now, will wipe off the mustard to create the paint chip look tomorrow after it cures  overnight.

However, I just realized that other than this photo, I don't remember ALL the spots the mustard is on, and it's pretty subtle in quite a few places so I might actually forget where all the weathering is that I need to was/scrape off....whoops.

On another note, do I actually scrape it off with a tool? Or use like a wet rag or paper towel?

OM#2184
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2017, 04:26 PM »
Here is how the gun came out initially after topcoating and removing the mustard weathering. I definitely went easy on the number of wear spots, but I can always add more later on by hand with some silver paint. Less is more I think to start this project.

OM#2184

Durkev Zandar

• TC/BH-7278
« Reply #43 on: Jan 27, 2018, 07:11 AM »
great scratchbuilt, hows the vibro?

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!