Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mashukir's WIP (Pic Heavy) Now with working pics!

• 44 Replies

Mashukir Prudiise

• the laziest of potatoes
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2017 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Mashukir's WIP (Pic Heavy) Now with working pics!
« on: Dec 22, 2015, 01:50 PM »
Admittedly I've been putting this off.... but I should really be posting all my progress pics here.  So here goes. 

We  started my build a few weeks ago, and have been working on it since.  It is 12g aluminium and between 18-24g copper as well as leather holding it all together. 

The end of the first day, with some of my plates cut out.  I do realize I'm missing gauntlets, a cod, and a helmet, but those are all coming.

The next week we dry fit everything, and started painting.  (borrowed helmet/it is a little cold here, as you can see)

When I was home in my studio I did the cutout for my left shoulder, and the used the extra bit on the right chest plate

Shoulder/bicep/chest plate dry fit and copper application

Chestplate assembled

First fitting (Pardon the hoodie, it was FREEZING in the shop.) 

back plate accessory/storage fitting

chest plate with diamond (just got that riveted on today):

« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2018, 06:03 PM by Mashukir Prudiise » Logged

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Trish's WIP (Pic Heavy)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2015, 02:19 PM »
Dang, that's looking spiffy! You working with Dresdon? That helmet looks like one of his.

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Mashukir Prudiise

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2017 Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2015, 02:25 PM »
Dang, that's looking spiffy! You working with Dresdon? That helmet looks like one of his.

Yup! He's doing the aluminium side, and I'm doing the copper. The majority of the pics are taken in his shop.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2015, 02:32 PM »
Well, looks like he's got you all set :P Looking forward to more progress!

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2015, 03:26 PM »
If you are working with Dresdon you're in good hands. He definitely knows what he's doing.

Mashukir Prudiise

« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2015, 07:21 PM »
I'm having a blast, hoping to have new pics up in the next few days, waiting on paint to dry, and a little more progress before my next pic dump.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2015, 03:58 PM »
Oooooh, somebody else using a split ab like mine :P Movement is good yes? Love the copper detailing on your plates.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2015, 07:33 PM »
Wow. I have zero doubt in this build. Dresden will keep you right. that copper work is great. as is all of the armour too. Would love to get working on a set with dressy :P

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Mashukir Prudiise

« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2015, 11:02 PM »
Oooooh, somebody else using a split ab like mine :P Movement is good yes? Love the copper detailing on your plates.

I actually surprised how comfortable the plates are (thus far), I can bend enough, except for my back plate. The split ab is all on Dresdon, but I love the way it looks.

Wow. I have zero doubt in this build. Dresden will keep you right. that copper work is great. as is all of the armour too. Would love to get working on a set with dressy :P

The copper work is all I can contribute, I trained at school as a jeweller. As for who is helping me, I lucked in to it. I Live in the right place at the right time.

So.  New pics tonight. 

Handplates  Not fastened down to the gloves yet, Trying to find my heat gun.

Greaves with copper attached/blackwashed and the belts attached.

Looking at starting my flak vest next.  Does just duck cloth work, or does it need batting?  I have a grey flight suit that I've been modifying for a while, and it fits pretty well now. I'm thinking a black flak vest.

« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2015, 06:32 PM by silvertrish » Logged

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2015, 04:17 PM »
Duck cloth is pretty stiff, but metal is heavy, so I've got no clue, hahaha. Someone with more sewing experience should probably weigh in here :P

Also, posting new progress after more than a day or so doesn't fall under the double posting rule, so as long as you're posting new progress you don't have to edit it into your previous post :)

Akul

• MMCC-1374
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2015, 04:50 PM »
You kit looks stunning! That weathering and copper work is absolutely gorgeous, and I love the shape of the torso plates. And as far as a duck cloth vest, batting it might be a good idea with metal plates. I used duck cloth for my vest with no batting or lining and even with only 3 mm Sintra plates bolted to it, it pulls down a little bit. With your plates mounted on leather already, though, you're less likely to have that problem, I think c:

QMU #33
M5 #56
[[ First Build (complete) ]]

Mashukir Prudiise

« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2015, 05:30 PM »
Duck cloth is pretty stiff, but metal is heavy, so I've got no clue, hahaha. Someone with more sewing experience should probably weigh in here :P

Also, posting new progress after more than a day or so doesn't fall under the double posting rule, so as long as you're posting new progress you don't have to edit it into your previous post :)

I had no idea what fell where (and I know double posting is bad), so I went for safety this time. :-P

You kit looks stunning! That weathering and copper work is absolutely gorgeous, and I love the shape of the torso plates. And as far as a duck cloth vest, batting it might be a good idea with metal plates. I used duck cloth for my vest with no batting or lining and even with only 3 mm Sintra plates bolted to it, it pulls down a little bit. With your plates mounted on leather already, though, you're less likely to have that problem, I think c:

Thanks!!!   I'm hoping to get my vest patterned/material bought in the next few days (if it ever stops snowing). I think I'll leather up the shoulders to support the shoulder/bicep plates, but I'm hoping to avoid batting the whole thing, especially with the floating armour over the vest. I am aware how hot armour gets, so the less layers the better.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2015, 06:51 PM »
I've got metal on leather and they've never sagged, so I'd say with them mounted metal-steel-fabric, you'll be fine as long as all the points have that reinforcing so you don't leave any significant weight hanging from just the fabric

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Mashukir Prudiise

« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2016, 06:03 PM »
Today I finally got back to the shop for some repairs, and velcro installation.  It was about -10 in the shop today, so changing into my flight suit took some coaxing, but even with a t-shirt instead of my flak vest, and the biceps not anchored (because of the aforementioned t-shirt), I think I'm still making progress.  Something i learned was that in spite of the fact I am only about 5'3", was that the "tall" one piece flight suit fits my torso perfectly, I just had to take the legs up about 8", and about 5" off the inseam.  Apart form the arms being a little baggy, it fits perfectly.

Front view:

Left side (again, bicep not anchored, I will make sure everything is velcroed on straight when my vest happens):

Right side:

After all the pics were taken, it got "crush gaunt weathered", AKA Dresdon went to town testing his new crush gaunts on my armour. I am officially no longer shiny.

« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2016, 06:38 PM »
that looks purely amazing, honestly right after i finish with my sinter build, ima make a metal one hopefully, my mom has metal working tools for jewelry :P but i noticed that your cheek pieces in the helmet were like vents, are you going to cover them in the back?

"Ni narir va gaanader mando jibr, mando jibr gaanader ni"-Jalkaryr jag

(I didn't choose the mandalorian life, the mandalorian life chose me)-(my name)
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2016, 06:56 PM »
Cool metalwork, looks great :D

<Work in progress> An Ugnaught stole my signature

Mashukir Prudiise

« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2016, 07:00 PM »
that looks purely amazing, honestly right after i finish with my sinter build, ima make a metal one hopefully, my mom has metal working tools for jewelry :P but i noticed that your cheek pieces in the helmet were like vents, are you going to cover them in the back?

Sadly the helmet I have on is pics isn't mine. it is one Dresdon grabbed to cover my face (lol), I'm not sure what is going on with it.  Mine is designed, but I have to wait in line for it.

Be really careful with the jewelry tools. My kit is mostly aluminium, and I wont let my tools near it. Too much risk of scratching something or accidental contamination.. I won't touch my tools to the aluminium, only the copper.

Cool metalwork, looks great :D

Thanks!

« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2016, 07:06 PM »
Sadly the helmet I have on is pics isn't mine. it is one Dresdon grabbed to cover my face (lol), I'm not sure what is going on with it.  Mine is designed, but I have to wait in line for it.

Be really careful with the jewelry tools. My kit is mostly aluminium, and I wont let my tools near it. Too much risk of scratching something or accidental contamination.. I won't touch my tools to the aluminium, only the copper.
true true, ill probably talk to her about it, but how do you bend the metal (even if it is aluminium) wouldn't it be hard to shape with out some kind of tools?

Mashukir Prudiise

« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2016, 07:10 PM »
true true, ill probably talk to her about it, but how do you bend the metal (even if it is aluminium) wouldn't it be hard to shape with out some kind of tools?

Him, and the metal gets heated, then hammered on an anvil to get its shape. I'd look up sinking (metalsmith terms, not armour, but silversmithing us what I know)

« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2016, 08:11 PM »
wait i get it now, is that why your name is silvertrish, cuts your a silversmith XD it rhymes lol

Mashukir Prudiise

« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2016, 09:13 AM »
I currently have black belts holding my shin plates on. My flight suit is grey. Should I look into sewing tubes  of leftover flightsuit fabric to cover the straps, or will they be fine showing?  I loathe to cut into my flightsuit if I can avoid it.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2016, 10:27 AM »
What material are the straps? If it's leather it'll be fine, nylon can be OK depending on the general look of your kit, and elastic always needs to be covered.

Aesthetics-wise, do what makes you happy ;D

« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2016, 10:28 AM »
well I mean its all up to you, but to be honest it depends on the era, because the older eras the armor was held on by visible straps... but the newer era its less common for that... but I would get other peoples opinions as well, but I like the straps

Mashukir Prudiise

« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2016, 10:49 AM »
The belts themselves are leather, I just don't want to be rushing around last minute trying to find fabric to cover them up, if I have to.

I'll try to get a picture next time I have my flight suit on, and someone is around, not the easiest part to photograph on myself.

« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2016, 10:56 AM by silvertrish » Logged

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2016, 11:09 AM »
My shins are held on by brown leather belts on black boots. Leather is always swarsy, so no worries there :D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!