Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ohl'd Vart's Back-From-The-Dead Legacy kit build (final status updated)

• 186 Replies

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
With a new year coming, and the old Ohl'd Vart armor and helmet being retired after 5 years of no upgrades, it's time for a change. I figured I'd start a new thread for the new kit, so I can keep on top of the build and keep the incentive going; I want to have it ready to use by spring of 2016.

I'm not going to add a lot of text to the photos, but this will be more of a "add them as I get it done" type thread...but as always, if anyone has any questions, I'll be glad to answer.  ;)

If anyone is interested, I used the large OV Legacy patterns, with 6mm Sintra for the base, and 3mm for details.  :)

« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 09:43 AM by Ohl'd Vart » Logged
Judicial Incident Report Form (for anyone to report an issue): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=form;n=34
"Let's never forget that we're here to have fun in this hobby, first and foremost; none of this spaceman suit stuff is real, and it means very little to the outside world. Never take yourself too seriously playing dress-up, because no one else does...it's all about perspective." - Ol'Varticus

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Ohl'd Vart's Back-From-The-Dead Legacy kit build
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2015, 03:06 PM »

Judicial Incident Report Form (for anyone to report an issue): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=form;n=34
"Let's never forget that we're here to have fun in this hobby, first and foremost; none of this spaceman suit stuff is real, and it means very little to the outside world. Never take yourself too seriously playing dress-up, because no one else does...it's all about perspective." - Ol'Varticus
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2015, 04:27 PM »
I love that texture.

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2015, 06:19 PM »
I love that texture.

Thanks...it's hours of using a round Dremel stone, trying for the "aged metal look". ;)

Rob

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2015, 11:00 AM »
Oooh, this should be good  ;D

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2015, 10:21 PM »
That is stunning....  :o

« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2015, 11:21 PM »
Loving the look of this!  Doing that texture manually is beyond nuts, but I'm loving it!  May just have to try to replicate that...in an albeit smaller scale.

Formerly known as TheRevan1te

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2015, 01:19 PM »
Thanks...it's hours of using a round Dremel stone, trying for the "aged metal look". ;)

Rob
You, sir, are slightly insane.  :D

Looking good, vod!  Keep up the awesome work!

Corvas Ta'niyr

• Sushir at taor be simir
  • Awards 40+ hrs of charity work recorded 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2015, 04:51 PM »
Wow OV...  You _ARE_ dedicated to your craft...

I used ABS on my legacy plates but instead of having the "smooth" side facing out - I went with the "textured" inside finish because it was more aesthetically interesting to me.  My chest diamond as actually a 3-D test print from one of my clan mates (Thanks Bowfanny!) that I glued to the center of the breast plate.

My painting was minimal since all I really needed to do was cover up the silver color from the Chicago screws.

Corvas
(the recruit formerly known as Marsh Wilste)

Sushir at ashi- o' at katahre bal kathtare- val mr ganar etie gehat'ik at rejorhaa'ir - Listen to others - even the dull and ignorant - They too have their story to tell.

G.O.M.O.L # 004
MiB #003
GBOT #013

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2015, 08:40 PM »
Thanks for the comments, guys.  :)

Yeah, that black dust is killer on the lungs, so I have to wear a mask....that microscopic crap gets everywhere. I wasn't prepared for all of the pieces I'd have to be doing, so this is going to take me a lifetime....I'm hoping to vary the details somewhat on some of the armor parts with bas-relief work, so I won't have to Dremel all of it.

I'm also going to do a top coat of a graphite metallic grey, with maybe some silver wash highlights...I'm going for the "cast iron" look, if i can pull it off.

I worked on the shoulder pauldrons tonight, but as in all things engineering, it worked on paper better than it did in practice; the card model versions I built made my shoulder silhouette look like a First Order TIE fighter, so it's back to square one on the design, lol.

Rob

Akul

• MMCC-1374
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2015, 04:12 AM »
Those plates look absolutely amazing! This is already a heck of an inspirational kit, can't wait to see more of it

QMU #33
M5 #56
[[ First Build (complete) ]]

Adenn'Kal

• Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2015, 10:00 AM »
This looks amazing.  :o

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Towhan Svel

• wat
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2015, 10:02 AM »
You've definitely done an amazing job with those, really nailed that old, hammered texture. They definitely look like they weigh a ton  :laugh:

You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2015, 08:25 PM »
Are you going to give your helmet the same texture? Plates look amazing Rob! You are the example of which we follow on these legacy kits!

QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!