Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Beskar'gam one - fight! (WIP)

• 119 Replies

Og' Reh

• Ugliest Mandalorian you've ever seen!
  • Awards 40% increase or more
Re: Beskar'gam one - fight! (WIP)
« Reply #100 on: Sep 21, 2017, 04:33 AM »
I like it at the moment - seems weared down, but still like taken care periodically. It just doesn't show on the pictures.

But I'll be working on that some more. At this point I got my suit fitted even better, and I'm sewing last velcros myself. I was hoping to get new pictures yesterday. The new deadline is scheduled for tomorrow. We'll see if that works! :D

At this point most of the setbacks I encountered at first trial, are fixed, so I'm really looking forward to put that all on again! :D

Stay tuned and thanks for reading! :]

- My Lord! The field is lost! Army in disarray. This may be the end of the war...
- Desperate times need desperate measures... Call Mandalorians!
- Like... BOTH of them?

WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=105164.0
Bucket (complete): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=106492.msg1782976#msg1782976

trashcanmando

• This is all Karen Traviss' fault. they/them
« Reply #101 on: Sep 21, 2017, 03:33 PM »
Can't wait for pics, glad to hear you've got everything sorted!

Og' Reh

« Reply #102 on: Oct 07, 2017, 12:22 PM »
All'rightey Vode! Finally I managed to get some pictures.
A lot of issues were adressed, now I got new ones but I feel way more optimistic.

Please note, I don't know why my vest was missing. It serves no purpose, other than being required in CRL, but somehow I misplaced it recently and need to find it. :)

Main issues ahead:
- Collar area to be covered
- Gauntlets are still lacking... A lot.
- New back plate needs to be bent some more, and shoulders need to be covered. Left one will be covered with the previous piece from pauldron that will be fixed solid. I'm still thinking about the right arm. One idea is a piece of cloack. Other is another, smaller pauldron.
- Cod will be fixed better and hung higher, covered with the other belt.

Further adjustments are in planning. Also - these are not yet pre-app pics. There's a lot of work still ahead.

So... There go the pictures!

The weathering of softs, that I've mentioned before:

Armed pictures:

And... Unexpectedly I got a gif of me, that I really like so... There you go!

- My Lord! The field is lost! Army in disarray. This may be the end of the war...
- Like... BOTH of them?

Bucket (complete): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=106492.msg1782976#msg1782976

trashcanmando

• This is all Karen Traviss' fault. they/them
« Reply #103 on: Oct 08, 2017, 02:57 PM »
That is one kandosii gif!  ;D You're getting there!

Cakes

« Reply #104 on: Oct 08, 2017, 09:08 PM »
Looking good! Love the white and red

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #105 on: Oct 09, 2017, 05:26 AM »
Definitely getting there.

Now it's all on you there's only 2 main things jumping out at me.

1. You need two waist items (kama and it's belt don't count). I'd suggest a girth or sash rather than a thinner belt to cover the are from the bottom  of your ab to just over your cod.
2. The backplate as wel as needing the shaping you mentioned, is also a little too long as it shouldn't be sitting over the belts. I'm not sure if it's possible to remove the top segment, trim that down and pull the other  three up, but that would be my plan. I'd also look at tugging the front plates up a little if you can.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Og' Reh

« Reply #106 on: Oct 09, 2017, 06:04 PM »
There is a girth belt if you take a closer look. It just seems I need to learn what are the layers supposed to be. I know I need to put cod under the belt, I'm not counting the kama belt as well, but the girth goes over the plates, or under the plates?

I've been trying to get the front higher already, but at this point it's on my throat-bones already and getting it higher goes against my throat very uncomfortably. :/

I'll need to take a closer look at that back. I didn't know it shouldn't be so big. I thought the only size requirement is min 2/3 back covered. I've worked on the back today, got it fitted better and painted triangles, so at this point it probably will be easier to cut the lowest section than work the upper one. Is that really that bad?
Also... I need to put that belt lower, to cover top of my cod, so I might get that sorted anyway... ;)

- Like... BOTH of them?

Og' Reh

« Reply #107 on: Jun 17, 2018, 04:59 PM »
Oh Vode... It's been a while, but I was busy during that time!

Today I've taken the pre-app pictures.

As I'm analysing them, and I'm tutoring my photographer, on which details to look at and rectify accordingly. So I'm confident, I'll get better in the final run, but I'm quite fond of what I got anyway.

Please help me to prepare, so I won't be a pain in the app-team shebs - if you see anything I should clear out, let me know.

And the last but as Shrek'ed as an ogre could be ;) :

- Like... BOTH of them?

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #108 on: Jun 17, 2018, 07:03 PM »
You're doing really well vod!

The biggest issues I see show up in the side photos.  Your armor doesn't really sit against your flak vest in the shoulder, upper back, and upper chest area.  Any of those areas where we can see air between armor and vest need to be shaped and adjusted to eliminate those gaps.   Also, the top of your first chest plate needs the corners shaped so they lay down onto the collar plate, and your ab plates have some are gaps at the points.  Should be able to just bend  those bits down pretty easily.

You have an exposed snap on your right arm (left in picture)  -- is there something that is supposed to be attached there?

Getting close :)

Og' Reh

« Reply #109 on: Jun 18, 2018, 02:38 AM »
Thank you for the feedback! I appreciate it really!

The biggest issues I see show up in the side photos.  Your armor doesn't really sit against your flak vest in the shoulder, upper back, and upper chest area.  Any of those areas where we can see air between armor and vest need to be shaped and adjusted to eliminate those gaps.

Ok. This one will be tricky. I've tried to round up the back plates, but that tilts the piece that meets the collar. I'll try to find optimal position, but in case it fails, do you think the back piece could be remedied by adding an underlying piece (or actually two pieces, added on the edges), that could be shaped to perfectly lie on me/vest? The existing piece would become more of a trauma plate than.

Also, the top of your first chest plate needs the corners shaped so they lay down onto the collar plate,

I believe that could be done.

and your ab plates have some are gaps at the points.  Should be able to just bend  those bits down pretty easily.

Could you plese clarify, which pieces you think of?
Just to be clear - the idea behind the first ab-plate was that it should be a liason between chest plate and further ab-plates, so looking from the front it is supposed to appear in line with ab-plates, but from the side it's midbetween chest and abplates, so it actually differs from the rest of the abplates.

You have an exposed snap on your right arm (left in picture)  -- is there something that is supposed to be attached there?

He shall be removed without further due, for the purpose of that application! ;)
You'll never see him again! ;)

- Like... BOTH of them?

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #110 on: Jun 18, 2018, 06:35 AM »
You've been busy.

I've highlighted the main plate lifting that needs getting back down. For the backplate it requires bending in both directions, down the back and across the back - this means if you wish to keep it as it is it will more than likely need hammering to get the curves right. The other option is to split it so that you have side panels that bend around your back to lay against it, then panels down the centre that hide the fact that the side parts don't go all the way across.

You'll need to tuck the flightsuit back at the wrists as it can't poke out from the gauntlets.

Other than that, I have a suggestion - the gloves are standing out a little still - a little more weathering to the white, and then either painting the black armour red or adding a little silver to imitate damage would tie it in to the rest of the kit a lot more.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Og' Reh

« Reply #111 on: Jun 18, 2018, 07:50 AM »
Thank you for the feedback!
I believe what happened is that before the changes I had front and backplates too low and had to rework them. Part of the process was to shorten the stripes so they went up and now they don't folow the initial curves they had.

But detail-wise:
The backplate was split, but it caused a lot of unchecked movement of the plates, so I decided I'll rivet them so they form horizontal pairs. I left the vertical movement option. I'll take a closer look at the back and see what I can hammer and what I could add to cover those gaps. This will probably be the major challenge to get straight.

That, or I just could get rid of my hump. ;)

Chestplate should be possible to line up with collar.

I'll need to think out something for the ab plates. Their positioning change depending on where I attach the tape that keeps it on my body... When I had it on the upper piece, they were in line, but the bottom was going outwards from the abdomen. First option is to get a tape to every piece. Second option is to get rid of the tape and allow them to lie as they natually do. I'll try those options.

Wrist flightsuit - that part I don't quite understand. My goal was to have fully sealed suit, so I made an extra wrist covers, that go from the inside of the gaunts, reach over the top of the gloves and are held there by the plate. I can take away that cover, but than I'll have the wrists with visible skin. Is that viable?

Gloves - I'll start boxing against the walls right away Ma'am! ;)

- Like... BOTH of them?

Sep Ho'ban

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #112 on: Jun 18, 2018, 08:59 AM »
Wrist flightsuit - that part I don't quite understand. My goal was to have fully sealed suit, so I made an extra wrist covers, that go from the inside of the gaunts, reach over the top of the gloves and are held there by the plate. I can take away that cover, but than I'll have the wrists with visible skin. Is that viable?

Exposed skin between gauntlets and gloves is not approvable.  Sleeves sticking out past the end of the gauntlets is not approvable.  Ideally, the back of your gloves should tuck under the bottom end of your gauntlets.

In your photos it appears that your flightsuit sleeves extend past your gauntlets to cover the end of your gloves.  You CAN tuck your sleeves into your gloves.

Redness

• Surrender. Or don't. That would be more fun.
« Reply #113 on: Jun 18, 2018, 12:47 PM »
Or it might be excess material from flightsuit sleeves. If that's the case, wrapping sleeves around and tucking them in the gloves should help.
Do some gardening work with them gloves - they're too shiny ;) And pull in your belly next time  :P no more sticking out armor ;)

MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Og' Reh

« Reply #114 on: Jun 19, 2018, 01:13 PM »
The backplates took it's punishment. Gee... Rivets were snapping like popcorn!  :o

It's way closer to the body now though. I can't take pictures untill tomorrow, but it's gonna be judgement day - either it's going to be enough, or I'll need to add extra plates or make it anew. I pushed the plate to limits today.

The cover needs to go over the gloves. I'm actually planning to sew it on top of the gloves, so the cover becomes part of the gloves. Than it'll be no problem to tuck it into the gauntlet.

The rest seemed easy to fix. I believe it's much better now.

« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2018, 01:19 PM by MandalOgre » Logged
- Like... BOTH of them?

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #115 on: Jun 21, 2018, 11:02 PM »
You've been busy.

Kris, you ain't kidding. Looks great, what they said! Can't wait to see this all good to go!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Og' Reh

« Reply #116 on: Aug 11, 2018, 04:53 AM »
I'm just gonna drop it down here...

Thank  you for your application to the Mandalorian Mercs Costuming Club!  After review of your application and conferring with the Applicant  Approval Team and Personnel Officer, we have determined that your  armour submission meets our standards for approval! On behalf of  Mandalore the Uniter and the MMCC Command Council, we would like to  welcome you to the Mercs!

Yikes! :D

- Like... BOTH of them?

Redness

• Surrender. Or don't. That would be more fun.
« Reply #117 on: Aug 11, 2018, 07:32 AM »
Now we're talking :D Conratulations, vod! Let's get this clan thing rolling ;)

MMCC #1529
M.A.B.E.L. #065
#1 Armor WIP
#2 Verpine WIP
#3 Jodo Kast WIP

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #118 on: Aug 11, 2018, 11:33 AM »
Well done.  Congratulations, vod.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #119 on: Aug 11, 2018, 02:26 PM »
Well done!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!