Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

spartafett's First Build WIP

• 33 Replies
spartafett's First Build WIP
« on: Jan 05, 2016, 04:32 PM »
Hello everyone! It's been some time since I've been on these forums. I've dabbled in working on my own kit for several years now--drawing and redrawing my designs, picking up components here and there, experimenting with templates--but never had the commitment or skills to really get moving.

I have several completed costumes under my belt so I'm feeling pretty good about my ability to actually do this now. And I'm just plain tired of putting this off!

But enough of me talking...here is my design:

My color scheme will be a little deeper in the end, and this is kind of how I'm imagining my armor will turn out:

I started out with working on my soft parts. The jumpsuit and vest are done now.

The zipper on the front of the shirt will be covered by the scarf, but I'll probably make a little flap to cover it up just in case. The zipper on the back of the vest will be covered by armor and the cape. I still have to put snaps on the collar-neck-seal.

I did go ahead and start a soft parts WIP too:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=105384.0

I look forward to any critiques and suggestions! And I'm ridiculously excited I'm actually getting somewhere at last!

« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2016, 03:00 PM by spartafett » Logged
I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

Ruusaan Dax
Armor WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=105271.0
Soft parts WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=105384.0

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
Re: spartafett's First Build WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2016, 10:30 PM »
Awesome concept art! And your vest looks amazing! Looking forward to seeing more :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2016, 11:28 PM »
Nice start vod.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Mav runi

• "Judge me by my size, do you?"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events Award for 75 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2016, 11:29 PM »
First of all, i am so happy you finally started a thread, can't wait to see how it goes.

Second, i still can't get over your mad art skills XD

In case you weren't aware, there is going to be an armor party in the east valley next saturday. check the shonare vhekadla clan boards for details :)

Mav'runi's WIP http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=43880.0
MMCC - 0765  M5 - #4 EMTS - #096 MLCS#13

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2016, 01:56 PM »
Love the concept drawing, and that's a nice vest ;D Although, you'll probably need to modify your gauntlet design - the App Team prefers gauntlets to be fully enclosed. ;) You'll also need to make sure that those zippers are hidden.

It looks to me like your chestplates are angled. Are you aware of Viradectis's chestplate design, and the template that is available for it? It's what I use (and Jorikad uses it, too, and her armor looks an awful lot like yours).

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2016, 01:59 PM »
Gauntlets like that are fine.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2016, 02:02 PM »
Hm, I suppose so. Apologies, I misremembered.

Quote from: CRLs
Forearms must be fully covered by one of the following:

• Full or half/bracer style hard shell gauntlets.

Orar Jaxx

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2016, 09:54 PM »
Am I the only one who can't see the photos?

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2016, 10:43 PM »
They were there when I commented, but are no longer visible  :(

« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2016, 11:46 PM »
Love the concept drawing, and that's a nice vest ;D Although, you'll probably need to modify your gauntlet design - the App Team prefers gauntlets to be fully enclosed. ;) You'll also need to make sure that those zippers are hidden.

It looks to me like your chestplates are angled. Are you aware of Viradectis's chestplate design, and the template that is available for it? It's what I use (and Jorikad uses it, too, and her armor looks an awful lot like yours).

Thank you all! Yeah those zippers will be covered. Some of it I'm sort of making up as I go, but I'll make sure of it. I like those angled plates! I'm currently working on bending some plastic for my plates (not angled), so we'll see how that goes. If it doesn't work out I'll definitely check those templates out.

I don't think I'll be able to make the armor party next weekend unfortunately but I'll watch out for other upcoming ones. Thanks.

And thanks for the feedback!

I think I also finally figured out how I kept messing up posting the pictures.

« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2016, 01:08 AM by spartafett » Logged

Ruusaan Dax
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2016, 01:07 AM »
Quick question since I can't seem to make up my mind and have been agonizing about it...should I start up a separate thread for all my soft parts? Clearly there are a lot of non-armor components, and this section of the forums seems to be mostly dedicated to armor. I'm probably going to end up with a lot more posts about the soft parts, especially right now.

Ruusaan Dax

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2016, 01:20 AM »
Since you seem to be a capable seamstress, I say go for it ;D I didn't because "yup, tailored those legs, bought a flak vest" isn't interesting in the least, haha, but you've definitely got enough content to make a separate thread worthwhile.

« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2016, 01:49 AM »
Thank you! Will do!

Ruusaan Dax

stifler

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din!!!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2016, 01:55 AM »
Nice concept!
Your kit remember armor of Jorikad, a mando'ade of Orar Galaar!

Sorry for my english, thank Google trad!

Gaten Kolas
MMCC 1333
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2016, 04:04 PM »
Nice concept!
Your kit remember armor of Jorikad, a mando'ade of Orar Galaar!

Sorry for my english, thank Google trad!

Thank you. That's a nice kit she's got. The armor looks fantastic.

Ruusaan Dax

Myra Tiin

• Outer Space Vandal
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2016, 04:04 AM »
Gjsibfoahfizhgjd your concept drawing is awesome and your vest is rad ! Can't wait to see more of your build :D
Oya for desert mandos ! :D
And you can create a thread for your soft parts, but that's not an obligation.

Desert ops Brigades - WIP  - Pixel Mandos
 QMU #017 - KOVA #002 - EMTS #118

Orar Jaxx

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2016, 10:59 AM »
Now I can see the pics!  Looks awesome!

Laaran Dala

• Though she be but little, she is fierce.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2016, 04:20 PM »
Your concept drawing is amazing and that vest is absolutely killer!  :o  Can't wait to see where you go from here!

« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2016, 03:07 PM »
Thank you everyone! And now for some armor updates! I worked out paper patterns first, tested them on my dress form and on myself several times and thought I had them just about perfect. So I cut my templates out of my plastic and started heatforming them.

It wasn't working. I spent several hours slowly adjusting them, and getting them close, but not perfect. It was getting frustrating.

I got the idea that I didn't want darts in the armor and really preferred the idea of more subtle shaping. The pieces worked alright when I tried them just on me but sat really weird as soon as I put my vest on. They were also too wide, so they dug into my arms.

Here's what I learned: female armor is shaped very differently than male. This is obvious if you're busty, but I am very much not, so I didn't anticipate it. My pieces were cut very similarly to male pieces, which stuck out on my skinny frame. I didn't draft my templates properly.

To compare: the white piece is my first attempt, with all my crazy lines to help me keep track of everywhere it needed to curve. The black is my new and improved piece. I was impressed with how subtly and yet essentially different the angles were. That and the size.

I also discovered that it's very important to do mock ups. I should've known that: I'm an artist, and am very well aware of how essential it is to do foundation work before jumping right into what you want to become the final product.

So I started over, copied the templates from here: http://www.mediafire.com/view/dbws61k7fwwl48c/Mercs-Female-ChestPlate-prototype.pdf

They were very nice because they helped me to understand the shapes for female armor. I altered these to give still more subtle shaping and extended them slightly.

Once I had my basic shapes worked out in paper, I made the templates again, this time out of pellon--a stiff, interfacing sort of fabric. Paper tends to only want to bend in one direction or another, but the pellon was better simulating how the plastic will actually bend (I think). More adjustments were made till those were sitting right.

Then I made a full mockup out of craft foam. In theory, I'm ready to cut my plastic and it should work better this time. (I think.)

But since I don't want to screw it up again, I'm looking for some feedback!  :D

I did end up with a seam, but as they were coming together I came around to the idea and started to really like how it looked. It more closely reflects the look of the armor in my drawing--and since I'm pleased with how that looks I think I won't try deviating from it. :) The zippers are hidden by the armor and the scarf. It all sits well on me and doesn't dig in anywhere. But is there too much space between plates?

And the back.

I wasn't sure if the lower piece needed to be a bit wider or not. I will also have a cape that hangs something like this:

Even if these aren't quite right, they have gone way better than any of my armor mockups have gone before, so I'm still thrilled by that!

« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2016, 03:14 PM by spartafett » Logged

Ruusaan Dax

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2016, 03:23 PM »
First, let me say, you're concept art is stunning.  Seriously.  :o

Great job with the new mock-ups!!  Sizing and spacing look spot on, very cleanly done.  If you get your hard plates looking like the foam ones, you're gonna have some nice plates.   8)

Ram'or Kranak

• Kranak Forward!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2016, 03:30 PM »
I'm responding simply to keep track of how you do this.  I have two sets of female armor to do for my wide and daughter.  Honestly it scares me.  Great build so far!

Yes Ruus'alor, I do want to live forever!  Or die trying.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=78573.0
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2016, 03:57 PM »
First, let me say, you're concept art is stunning.  Seriously.  :o

Great job with the new mock-ups!!  Sizing and spacing look spot on, very cleanly done.  If you get your hard plates looking like the foam ones, you're gonna have some nice plates.   8)

Yay! Thank you!

I'm responding simply to keep track of how you do this.  I have two sets of female armor to do for my wide and daughter.  Honestly it scares me.  Great build so far!

I'll try to keep up with posting detailed progress reports for you then. :)

Ruusaan Dax

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2016, 04:35 PM »
Nice work on those chestplates! And I hadn't seen those templates before - where did you find them?

I would make that backplate a little bit wider - even with a cape, the idea is still to create the illusion of having a full-coverage backplate. An inch or two wider couldn't hurt, I think ;)

3mandos

• "Kebii'tra Verd" #2179
« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2016, 04:48 PM »
Looks really cool. Great work.

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2016, 05:12 PM »
I would make that backplate a little bit wider - even with a cape, the idea is still to create the illusion of having a full-coverage backplate. An inch or two wider couldn't hurt, I think ;)

Kavryn makes a good point about the backplate & cape.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!