Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

spartafett's First Build WIP

• 33 Replies

Ram'or Kranak

• Kranak Forward!
Re: spartafett's First Build WIP
« Reply #25 on: Jan 14, 2016, 05:25 PM »
Yay! Thank you!

I'll try to keep up with posting detailed progress reports for you then. :)

Thanks!  You don't know how much I would appreciate that.

Yes Ruus'alor, I do want to live forever!  Or die trying.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=78573.0
« Reply #26 on: Jan 14, 2016, 08:12 PM »
Nice work on those chestplates! And I hadn't seen those templates before - where did you find them?

I would make that backplate a little bit wider - even with a cape, the idea is still to create the illusion of having a full-coverage backplate. An inch or two wider couldn't hurt, I think ;)

It was in the female armor reference thread, in the chest armor section. Here's the link. http://www.mediafire.com/view/dbws61k7fwwl48c/Mercs-Female-ChestPlate-prototype.pdf

And thanks for the advice on the backplate

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

Ruusaan Dax
Armor WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=105271.0
Soft parts WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=105384.0

WhatATimeToBeAMando

• Pirun Sal: Kid Mando
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2016, 12:17 AM »
Oh dear goodness gracious, I love this so much there's no words!  The concept is fantastic and all you've done with it so far is absolutely amazing!  Keep doing what you're doing and I can't wait to see it finished.

« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2016, 06:49 PM by WhatATimeToBeAMando » Logged

Mav runi

• "Judge me by my size, do you?"
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events Award for 75 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #28 on: Jan 17, 2016, 04:23 PM »
I should have jumped in sooner!

For my chestplates, i simply had a mando friend whom i trust to be a professional lol the plates were heated up, then while wearing my vest and a layer or 2 of tshirt and sorry for tmi, a bra that is push up/padded, then he formed them directly on me since he can see where they should sit.

He went back over it later with a heat gun to even out the top edges and make other slight adjustments.

The mock ups look fantastic! If you are using 3mm sintra, you might be able to get the shaping you want with the sectioned pieces you drafted, however it will be harder to achieve with 6mm.

I know it can be frustrating, but take your time and breathe. If you need a femmando to help out, let me know and i will see how my schedule looks.

Mav'runi's WIP http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=43880.0
MMCC - 0765  M5 - #4 EMTS - #096 MLCS#13
« Reply #29 on: Jan 26, 2016, 01:58 AM »
I should have jumped in sooner!

For my chestplates, i simply had a mando friend whom i trust to be a professional lol the plates were heated up, then while wearing my vest and a layer or 2 of tshirt and sorry for tmi, a bra that is push up/padded, then he formed them directly on me since he can see where they should sit.

He went back over it later with a heat gun to even out the top edges and make other slight adjustments.

Thank you for the advice! That's basically exactly what I tried here. With my first pieces it didn't occur to me to bend them directly on me for some reason--I was working on my dress mannequin, which is not shaped the same as me it turns out. I'm apparently smaller than it is. :/

Patience is paying off. I think I'm getting closer. I'm using six inch pvc pipe. It's nice and thick. I traced my templates around the pipe, using the curve of the pipe to my advantage. My first time around I didn't think to do that and I was trying to unbend the plastic and then reshape it in almost the opposite direction. For example, here are the first collar pieces.

I forgot to flip my template over, so I basically had two left collar pieces. I was trying to bend against the will of the pipe to get my right piece and it wouldn't go for it. It's all warped and uneven.

So I kept that in mind this time around and that helped a lot. I thought about what direction my deepest curve would sit on me and that's how I placed the template.

I put my top and vest on and softened the plastic real good with the heat gun, almost to the point that it was getting all flappy and rubbery, held it between two pot holders and then just held it in place right on me till it cooled down. My family found it terribly amusing to find me standing in the kitchen holding my chest.  :P

Here's a couple shots of how it is all fitting right now.

I just got the seams on the chest plates fused with pvc cement, and I'm hoping to get a chance to fill them in, as time allows. I've never used bondo before, so that'll be a fun experiment. Apparently it needs hardener mixed in though? I have to go get that. Then I'll do some sanding! I also need to get the key area cleaned up--the edges aren't equal on each piece

I need to adjust collar piece, but I'm not sure how...it's too wide, so I'll trim the ends off a bit. It also digs into my collar bone, so I think I need to make it a little more narrow. I also don't like that I can't move in it comfortably, so I'm thinking of cutting it into three sections, about where my scribbly lines are. Would that be ok?

Overall, everything is fitting much better than my first attempt, so that's cool!

I added some width to the back plate, as suggested. Does this look better?

Eh, while I'm at it...I'm trying to figure out what to do for gauntlets. I didn't want the traditional weaponized gauntlets, so I'm trying to figure out something a little simpler. Are these too simple? The black will be leather, the yellow armor.  Leather strips will wrap keep the two pieces together. I think I'll have wraps like I made for my legs go under the gaunts, over the sleeves.

Thank you!

« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2016, 02:06 AM by spartafett » Logged
I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.

Ruusaan Dax
Armor WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=105271.0
Soft parts WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=105384.0

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #30 on: Jan 26, 2016, 02:25 AM »
Simple gaunts. Just get two pieces of PVC, heat one so it wraps around your wrist most of the way, then glue the second piece flat on top to complete it. Like this.

You just need a few pieces on the inside to make sure it has some support.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

corriban

• Mercs War Correspondent
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #31 on: Jan 26, 2016, 09:19 PM »
vod, it's looking really great! you're moving right along! Only thing I see is the ab needs to come up just a little bit. As for the collar plate, maybe take off a bit on the edges-- perhaps round them so they don't dig so much? Back plate looks awesome! So do the gaunts!

One thing to remember about bondo, as soon as you mix that hardener in you gotta work fast. And it typically comes with hardener, so you shouldn't have to buy it separately.

Get this http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Bondo-32-fl-oz-Lightweight-Body-Filler-PN0262/202077782

Zasiya Adenn V2 | Dee Ca'tra
MERC #1078 | KOVA #0011 | M5 #42 | QMU #019 | ALLUMINATI #027 | PMS #003

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #32 on: Jan 27, 2016, 12:01 PM »
Great work on your kit so far!  Gauntlets won't be super hard to make since you want to go with a simple style, and I love the pattern you've made for them. 

If you want a simple one-piece-no-gluing-no-bondo design, here's a picture of what I did for mine.  They're basically each triangle shape that curves around my arm with the other two points overlapping each other at the back.  They stay on really well and because there's no glue or bondo on them they have a lot of flex, which is nice when sliding them on.

Instagram: @evaarla_kal

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #33 on: Feb 24, 2016, 10:41 AM »
I had the same problem with my collar plate. After trimming the edges you have marked off, make sure you can move your arms forward. I'm in love with your kit so far- looks amazing vod :)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!