Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

3D printed Pre Vizsla style helmet WIP (with pictures)

• 96 Replies

wmmbuzzkill

• Awards 40% increase or more Special Operations Brigade Member Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Since I have a 3D printer at my disposal, I decided to give printing a helmet a whirl. Thanks to member "Liquid Sun" for making and posting the .Stl files for this Pre Vizsla style helmet!!

First stage that I decided to take a picture of, first coat of bondo on the dome is sanded, now fusing and bondoing the upper and lower half together.

First coat of Bondo + printed Original ears

Second and third bondo coat done and primed

Spot putty!

Modified brow piece attached and bondo'd over. Lens came in from T-Visors.com!

First coat of colour applied!

Details!

Minor interior padding

3D printed Lens clips

Some battle damage with the 3D printed ears designed by MemorY!

stripped all the original paint off... restarted with metallic base for proper weathering technique

Metallic with black overspray

Back to the green and red! unmasked, as well as new simpler lower profile ears done again by the masterful MemorY!

Final stages methinks!

« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2016, 08:54 PM by wmmbuzzkill » Logged

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: 3D printed Pre Vizsla style helmet WIP (with pictures)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2016, 06:33 PM »
Very nice!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

wmmbuzzkill

• Awards 40% increase or more Special Operations Brigade Member Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:59 PM »
Second coat of bondo done and sanded. Also printed the Ear pieces and vent.

Corvas Ta'niyr

• Sushir at taor be simir
  • Awards 40+ hrs of charity work recorded Most invasions trooped in 2017 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2016, 01:30 AM »
Words fail me at the awesomeness that appears before me.

Corvas

Sushir at ashi- o' at katahre bal kathtare- val mr ganar etie gehat'ik at rejorhaa'ir - Listen to others - even the dull and ignorant - They too have their story to tell.

G.O.M.O.L # 004
MiB #003
GBOT #013

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2016, 02:30 AM »
Words fail me at the awesomeness that appears before me.

Corvas
Bazinga

QMU#084

wmmbuzzkill

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2016, 08:36 PM »
Third and (hopefully) final major bondo coat was sanded tonight. Sprayed it with a high density filler primer to bring out the low spots and scratches so I can fill in with Glazing putty.

wmmbuzzkill

« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2016, 10:01 PM »
Spot putty on and drying... Looks like it's got a nasty rash!
Before

After Sanding

Little bits more to fill and smooth out... I've never been this meticulous on finishing a 3D printed piece as this helmet.

Bowfanny

« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2016, 10:11 PM »
Hey that's looking pretty good! What are your plans once you finish it?

QMU#084
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2016, 10:18 PM »
Hey, I'm trying to print this helmet as well. I'm having some trouble with the orientation on my printer. How are you doing it?

Looks awesome by the way!!!

Zbrush | Rhino3D | Fusion360 | Pixal Designs

wmmbuzzkill

« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2016, 10:21 PM »
Hey that's looking pretty good! What are your plans once you finish it?

I'm still working out the color scheme specifics.. I'm really doing this whole thing very "by the seat of my pants" so to speak.. no major plans. My original was this
with some additional striping and detailing

But after time I've moved closer to this overall design

I love my greens and earthy colours... but I want to include some red in there too.

wmmbuzzkill

« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2016, 10:22 PM »
Hey, I'm trying to print this helmet as well. I'm having some trouble with the orientation on my printer. How are you doing it?

Looks awesome by the way!!!

Thanks! I'm printing with a flashforge creator pro.. so the way he had his models cut and oriented, they were too large for my build plate. I took them into Netfab Basic and chopped them up a bit more to my liking.

« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2016, 10:25 PM »
Thanks! I'm printing with a flashforge creator pro.. so the way he had his models cut and oriented, they were too large for my build plate. I took them into Netfab Basic and chopped them up a bit more to my liking.

Ok. I have an Ultimaker 2, and I can fit a whole piece on my build plate, it's just hard to print it without using a ton of support. So I'll probably do something similar to you and use Netfabb to slice the models into more pieces.

Bowfanny

« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2016, 10:27 PM »
Gotta love nettfab for its slicing and dicing and fixing of holes!

QMU#084

wmmbuzzkill

« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2016, 10:30 PM »
yeah, either that or just try to change the way they sit on the plate. Just remember that you can kind of afford to sacrifice some support on the internal overhangs just because it may droop for the first few layers but then after that if kind of catches up and finishes how it should on the outside.. maybe be messy on the inside but that doesnt matter too much.

wmmbuzzkill

« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2016, 10:30 PM »
Gotta love nettfab for its slicing and dicing and fixing of holes!

Netfab is my best friend... I'm not exactly skilled at 3D design at all.. it helps make things so easy..

« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2016, 10:34 PM »
Ya. I've tried setting it up every way I can think, But a lot of the pieces are tall and can't stay attached to the build plate. So this'll help with that.

wmmbuzzkill

« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2016, 10:42 PM »
Ya. I've tried setting it up every way I can think, But a lot of the pieces are tall and can't stay attached to the build plate. So this'll help with that.

What material are you printing with and what are you using for build plate adhesion? I did mine in PLA, and as for the build plate I did blue painters tape with elmers glue... no supports and none of the parts moved on me.

« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2016, 09:40 AM »
Yeah. This is freaking awesome. Bookmarked!  8)

« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2016, 10:31 AM »
very beautiful! wonderful! I just wish I had a 3d printer XD

"Ni narir va gaanader mando jibr, mando jibr gaanader ni"-Jalkaryr jag

(I didn't choose the mandalorian life, the mandalorian life chose me)-(my name)
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2016, 11:19 AM »
What material are you printing with and what are you using for build plate adhesion? I did mine in PLA, and as for the build plate I did blue painters tape with elmers glue... no supports and none of the parts moved on me.

PLA as well, although I'm thinking about going to ColorFabb XT. I love that material. :) But I've never had an issue with PLA being on a "naked" build plate for me due to the heated bed. But once I go to XT I'll use blue tape. So that issue is resolved. I just need to get my printer up and running now. :)

wmmbuzzkill

« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2016, 11:36 AM »
PLA as well, although I'm thinking about going to ColorFabb XT. I love that material. :) But I've never had an issue with PLA being on a "naked" build plate for me due to the heated bed. But once I go to XT I'll use blue tape. So that issue is resolved. I just need to get my printer up and running now. :)

I also have a heate bed, but i like the fact that the blue tape keeps the bed clean..makes the adhesion extra strong.

« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2016, 12:43 PM »
I also have a heate bed, but i like the fact that the blue tape keeps the bed clean..makes the adhesion extra strong.

This is true. So I should be able to get some pieces printed tonight. :) Got quite a few parts sliced already, secretly at work. :P

wmmbuzzkill

« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2016, 06:22 PM »
This is true. So I should be able to get some pieces printed tonight. :) Got quite a few parts sliced already, secretly at work. :P
just a warning if you are planning on printing it.. The overall width of the helmet *is* 9", but at one point it tapers in to 6" so it makes it a bit tight over the head and ears getting on. Just barely fits for me.

Bowfanny

« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2016, 07:14 PM »
That taper is why my pepakura one has a wider bottom on the visor than at the top.

QMU#084

wmmbuzzkill

« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2016, 07:29 PM »
Yeah I noticed your spacing on the mandibles was wider... thankfully I am just barely able to fit my head inside this lol. Im planning on using different ears than the normal pre bizsla ones.. going to design others cause i dont like the pre vizsla ones

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!