Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP with Some Small Changes

• 301 Replies

Hanjo Solba

• Member of the Mav oya'la Clan - OM# 1724
  • Awards 40% increase or more
Re: WIP with Some Small Changes
« Reply #75 on: Sep 08, 2016, 02:07 PM »
Yeah, visors are tough. Glue or acetone, or paint thinner, or any number of other things on the visor will pretty much kill it.

The interaction of the acetone with the 3D plastic is desirable tho, but I totally understand being hesitant and wanting to not even try it after killing a visor. lol.

Keep it in mind though for a possible future technique on another 3D print with broad, smooth sides.

I may try the acetone on the small piece i have left over from cutting out the screen opening on the right gauntlet.  Should serve as a good control so i can practice.  I do plan on buying a few trophies and maybe a thermal detonator which might be 3D printed, would be good to have a faster way to finish it.  :laugh:

OM# 1724   Member of the Mav oya'la Clan      M.A.B.E.L. - #069
      Armor WIP  -    Recon Brigade WIP  -  Wife's WIP

Hanjo Solba

« Reply #76 on: Sep 14, 2016, 11:44 AM »
Hello everyone!

I have been working on the pants of my suit and i have the side pockets completely removed without causing and holes.  I do have a question though... what do you guys do with the back pockets?  I know the side pockets need to be sewed shut but the back might look strange if i remove the flaps.  I included a picture below to make it more apparent what I'm talking about. 

You can see the kidney plate Velcro is right above them so they will be slightly hidden.  i am not sure what OM requires on this.  Should i remove the flap and buttons under it and sew it shut or just leave the flaps and button them so they stay flat?

I just don't know!

I will be pinning the pants soon to fix the baggyness and attaching the strap to hold them down under the boot.  I will post picture once it is complete.  I am hoping to have a pre-app pictures submitted on here before October 31st.  (If you set a date, you work harder to meet it  :laugh:

« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2017, 12:55 PM by Hanjo Solba » Logged

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #77 on: Sep 14, 2016, 04:38 PM »
Beest bet is to put the flightsuit and kidney plate on and see how much shows.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Hanjo Solba

« Reply #78 on: Sep 19, 2016, 12:22 PM »
Deal, I will leave as is for now and just button them closed.  Thank you for the advise  :D

Just a few more updates.  Picture below is the pinning of my pants.  I took the advise of some other posters on my WIP and put the pants on backwards and pin the new seam line.  This is wear it stands now.  Once that is sewn up i will attach some elastic at the bottom to keep them from riding up. 

The next thing i have done is try to bend the knee plates i have.  I had a lot of trouble with this.  I understand why this manufacturer was banned ..... i may have to buy new knee plates if these are not approvable. I tried bending them around a rounded surface but if you bend the front it fans the sides and vis versa.   I did round them slightly so they are less square which is a plus.  It is really the best i can do without scrapping them entirely.  I hope they look a little better on me then by themselves.

The last update was i put the metallic on the left gauntlet this morning.  I will have to drill out the holes for the switches and lights and attached the flame thrower once it drys.  Always something more to do!

« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2017, 12:59 PM by Hanjo Solba » Logged

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #79 on: Sep 25, 2016, 02:31 AM »
Watching the progress from start to now has been pretty nice.  One thing I see that might need addressing is weathering on soft parts.  Just some dirt and such would make it really pop and match the plates.  I haven't been on top of your build from day one, so that's only what I see as needed now (that you aren't obviously already doing).

Great kit and concept too.  The paint and weathering especially on your knees and gaunts is excellent.

Hanjo Solba

« Reply #80 on: Sep 26, 2016, 08:44 AM »
Watching the progress from start to now has been pretty nice.  One thing I see that might need addressing is weathering on soft parts.  Just some dirt and such would make it really pop and match the plates.  I haven't been on top of your build from day one, so that's only what I see as needed now (that you aren't obviously already doing).

Great kit and concept too.  The paint and weathering especially on your knees and gaunts is excellent.

Ya about that haha, I have purchased shoe polish to weather the soft parts but I haven't went through with applying it yet.  I am a little gun shy since it is not something i have done before but it will be something I have to do before the end of next month.  I am also unsure how i am gonna weather the black but its gotten pretty dusty so it looks slightly dirty, I guess? lol

Thank you for the weathering compliment, I have spent a ton of time trying to get it just right.  I just drilled holes for my buttons and switches on the left gauntlet so I will be posting those pictures soon  :D

Hanjo Solba

« Reply #81 on: Oct 06, 2016, 08:29 AM »
Just another quick update! 

Just finished drilling the holes for the switches, light and buttons on my left gauntlet.  I may drill out the flame thrower buttons more so they sit a little lower.  Not sure yet.  Just glued the thrower on so once it is dry I will see if i like the buttons and then tooth paste and black paint.  Finally one more step closer to done. 

« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2017, 01:00 PM by Hanjo Solba » Logged

OriKad

• Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #82 on: Oct 06, 2016, 10:56 AM »
Good to know you're on top of pretty much everything!  Definitely drill out the flamethrower buttons.  They look good now but they would look better lower (down to the collar on them, I presume).

And don't worry too much about being gunshy about flightsuit weathering.  Stick to adding dirt where it naturally accumulates...  I have some pretty good experience about the accumulation of dirt on clothes since my house gained some drain clogging issues and I can't use my own washing machine.  You get a lot of general grime gathering on the seat of the pants and back of the thighs, some visible dirt contrast on all the seams but primarily wherever your hands brush most frequently.  The front of the thigh just above the knee gets it pretty rough too.  The armpits of course get sweat stains and the backs of the elbows and the forearms gather a fair bit of dirt...  So give the seams a bit of a brushdown with your shoe polish and then add some smudges wherever you think they're needed to balance that out, and then wash your flightsuit so some of the newly added dirt comes out.

Hanjo Solba

« Reply #83 on: Oct 06, 2016, 11:11 AM »
Good to know you're on top of pretty much everything!  Definitely drill out the flamethrower buttons.  They look good now but they would look better lower (down to the collar on them, I presume).

And don't worry too much about being gunshy about flightsuit weathering.  Stick to adding dirt where it naturally accumulates...  I have some pretty good experience about the accumulation of dirt on clothes since my house gained some drain clogging issues and I can't use my own washing machine.  You get a lot of general grime gathering on the seat of the pants and back of the thighs, some visible dirt contrast on all the seams but primarily wherever your hands brush most frequently.  The front of the thigh just above the knee gets it pretty rough too.  The armpits of course get sweat stains and the backs of the elbows and the forearms gather a fair bit of dirt...  So give the seams a bit of a brushdown with your shoe polish and then add some smudges wherever you think they're needed to balance that out, and then wash your flightsuit so some of the newly added dirt comes out.

Thank you, I will follow this for sure.  One question though, what would you use the weather black pants/shirt?  I am going to use black shoe polish on all the grey stuff but should i use brown shoe polish on the black?  Do they make a grey shoe polish?  I was thinking of using a screen and some brown spray paint my make a cool effect.  Just looking for ideas.  I am hunting on here for a WIP of someone that has already done this to use as an example to follow.  :D 

I will admit i have been avoiding browns to make my Mando appear more of a 'space' weathered Mandalorian.  The typical explosions, blaster fire, burns from fighting on ships and stations.  I know that there would be dirt there but just my thinking.  I may have to add browns though since i have a heavy amount of black.... 

I will drill those flame thrower buttons down tonight and maybe take a swing at the shoe polish weathering and post my results.  Wish me luck  :laugh: 

Hanjo Solba

« Reply #84 on: Oct 13, 2016, 11:56 AM »
Just another quick updated!

Finished tooth pasting, black paint, more toothpaste, then blue paint and removed tooth paste. 

Let me know what you guys think!

« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2017, 01:06 PM by Hanjo Solba » Logged

Khor Mariik

• Dread on the wind, Death from the shadows.
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 50 official invasions. 40% increase or more 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #85 on: Oct 13, 2016, 08:37 PM »
I think this is going to be a really great looking kit when you're done.

Keep it up.

Hanjo Solba

« Reply #86 on: Oct 18, 2016, 02:03 PM »
Finally finish my rocket gauntlet  :D

Posted a few pictures below, I am very proud of how this turned out.  Needs a little bit more padding on the inside to keep it from spinning on my arm but that's an easy fix.  I added a working light with one of the switches just to make it a little interesting.   

I threw a few things on just to get the feel.  Left gauntlet is almost to tight but everything feels pretty good.  I ordered some plain black gloves since the ones i made wont fit with the left gauntlet. 

Now i have some questions on weathering....

First i need to weather the black, i was thinking of using a dark gray for this and maybe some brown (if i must) if anyone has any WIP links that show how to do this weathering that would be a big help.  I will be using google/youtube/ and the WIP page on here for ideas on how to apply weathering to soft parts.

My second question comes to weathering the tubing of the gauntlets.  Since my tubing is ice maker tubing, it has a plastic coating.  Should i follow the acrylic with alcohol that i have done for the plates?  I am not sure how well that would hold.  I am waiting for the hooks to come in to hold these so i have time. 

I want to wrap these smaller details up before Oct. 28th.  So the time crunch is real!

« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2017, 01:12 PM by Hanjo Solba » Logged

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #87 on: Oct 18, 2016, 02:11 PM »
If you use sandpaper to make scratches in the tubing, then apply acrylic, it will gather in the scratches and won't easily shift because it is indented and can't be wiped off by brushing against things.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Hanjo Solba

« Reply #88 on: Oct 18, 2016, 02:33 PM »
If you use sandpaper to make scratches in the tubing, then apply acrylic, it will gather in the scratches and won't easily shift because it is indented and can't be wiped off by brushing against things.

That's a great idea.  I will be sure to give that a try shortly.  Thank you!!!

Hanjo Solba

« Reply #89 on: Oct 28, 2016, 09:56 AM »
Well i don't have any new pictures to post but i do have some updates.

I weathered the tubing.  I tried the sandpaper idea but i guess because it is a rubber line the scratches didn't show up.  After the black wash I use black spray paint to make scorch marks so its looks pretty good.  I finished sewing the hooks on the shirt to hold the tubing and cut the tubing to length.  Its all glued up and drying.  I kept the tubing rather short since my local cons can be a little tight to walk around in.

As of now i am planning on wearing my 'kinda' finished kit on Saturday.  I say kinda because i have a cape and jet pack in the works already but apparently they are not required to submit my pre app pictures.  Saturday is a family Halloween party so it gives me the chance to make sure nothing comes apart but if it does its not a big deal. 

I have not weathered the vest or hip pouches yet and i may not have time to.... (Just as a warning, i am still a little gun shy on doing that till i have a defined plan and some practice on some other cloths)

I will take some pictures before the party and post them here as soon as i can!

Hanjo Solba

« Reply #90 on: Nov 02, 2016, 09:04 AM »
Well i need to make a few adjustments before pre-app photos....

1. Left gauntlet twists on me a lot.  Need to increase the padding to prevent this.  Killed my wrist ...
2. Cod plate makes it so i can never sit down.  Not really a big deal but when its hot out i am sure it will be.  Just seems like the crotch of the pants is to low so the cod plate hits them rather then going between my legs.... I think i will need to buy new pants to fix this since the tru-spec pants naturally have a low crotch.
3. I need to get the girth, ammo belt and vest organized correctly.  I had to throw the gear on quickly for one of the parties and everything got jumbled together and bunched on me. 
4. Weather the vest and belt pouches. (i know, i know... this really should have already been done by this point...)

Overall it felt solid.  The picture below shows me at one of the parties i went to last weekend.  The stock length on my blaster is a little long so it looks like its a hip fired weapon from now on.  I did spend a lot of time without the bucket on haha  Visor makes walking around at night impossible.  Just about there though  :D

« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2017, 01:15 PM by Hanjo Solba » Logged

OriKad

« Reply #91 on: Nov 02, 2016, 11:03 AM »
You're getting really really close.  Your cod and gauntlet issues are utility rather than CRL, and you've got the right plan for fixing the gaunt.  For the cod I'd recommend altering the plate rather than replacing the pants.  Perhaps cut off from the top of the plate so that its attachment point is closer to the edge of your girth belt, and that way the plate will be able to lift up more easily (while still falling correctly when standing)

Go ahead and do your weathering as planned.  It's the right plan.

Going by that pic, your chest plates seem a little crowded.  I wish I could describe it better (or make it sound less judgey... Sorry.  I mean it in the most helpful way possible)

But really, you're coming along nicely.  I mean it when I say you're close... probably closer than you're guessing. :)

Khor Mariik

• Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 50 official invasions. 40% increase or more 11+ Invasion Report Appearances
« Reply #92 on: Nov 02, 2016, 12:28 PM »
My pants and Cod did the same thing.

I just roll the top/belt line of the pants over once. That brings the crotch and butt up a little tighter so the cod sits in front and doesn't hang up on it when I sit. My vest and belts hide the roll so it's never seen. Worked great for me with no alterations needed on teh Cod or the pants to fix the issue.

Hanjo Solba

« Reply #93 on: Nov 22, 2016, 09:20 AM »
Well it looks like it is going to be some time before I can finish my costume.....

I tore my MCL and meniscus in a hockey game last week....  I will find out to what degree tomorrow. Needless to say this has made working on my costume a challenge.  What is worse is i planned on wearing it to the con on Dec 3rd.  Thats not happening now.  I may still try to get out to the con with this fancy brace they gave me at the ER but I can get around very well so it will probably be a short visit.  Just sucks.... 

Either way, it looks like i won't have any new updates for at least 6 weeks.... longer if i need surgery...

well guys ... wish me luck

Khor Mariik

« Reply #94 on: Nov 23, 2016, 08:03 PM »
Ouch!!

Don't stress it. Do what you need to do to heal. We'll still be here.

Sending good juju for a speedy and full recovery.

Hanjo Solba

« Reply #95 on: Nov 30, 2016, 01:10 PM »
Ouch!!

Don't stress it. Do what you need to do to heal. We'll still be here.

Sending good juju for a speedy and full recovery.

Thank you!!!  MRI results tomorrow morning, I hate injuries....

Hanjo Solba

« Reply #96 on: Dec 15, 2016, 11:26 AM »
Well I have a grade 1 tear which is lucky.  No surgery, just heal time and PT.  Down side is its close to a grade 2 so im limping around for 6-8+ weeks.  Either way, i figured i would begin lining things up for the jetpack. 

Does anyone have any pointers when it comes to creating button holes on the back of the vest for the jetpack harness straps?  I can cut holes in the back plate but sewing is not one of my strong points.  I have already tested the harness i have and it fits nicely under everything.  Really firms up the costume tell you the truth.

I was thinking before rubbing shoe polish all over it (What i have left before pre-app photos), i would run it down to my local tailor.  I am sure this is something they could do but i have no idea the cost on that.  Just don't want to start chopping holes haha

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! 

dbickel

• MMCC ID #1388
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40% increase or more 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #97 on: Dec 15, 2016, 08:46 PM »
Well I have a grade 1 tear which is lucky.  No surgery, just heal time and PT.  Down side is its close to a grade 2 so im limping around for 6-8+ weeks.  Either way, i figured i would begin lining things up for the jetpack. 

Does anyone have any pointers when it comes to creating button holes on the back of the vest for the jetpack harness straps?  I can cut holes in the back plate but sewing is not one of my strong points.  I have already tested the harness i have and it fits nicely under everything.  Really firms up the costume tell you the truth.

I was thinking before rubbing shoe polish all over it (What i have left before pre-app photos), i would run it down to my local tailor.  I am sure this is something they could do but i have no idea the cost on that.  Just don't want to start chopping holes haha

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

My sewing machine had a button hole pattern and I simply used that when sewing it. The big thing you want is for the holes to be located logically along a path your jetpack harness straps will take. This is pretty easy to do luckily as you can wear your harness over your flak vest and figure out how the straps will run, where it will go through your vest and then through any back armor you will be wearing.

Wearing a jetpack harness, and how the straps are run, are highly dependent on where you want the jetpack worn. Be careful that your harness straps run through your armor to connect to the jet pack in such a way that minimizes stress on your armor. Traditionally back armor plates are the strongest because often they need to deal with some of this, but added stress will cause cracking at your strap points in the back plate. It will also cause your front neck piece to literally choke you if you have your back armor plate and front neck piece connected.

It sounds very simple, but getting the jetpack harness, straps, and jetpack connected was definitely the hardest part of my build. Its something you need assistance with (since you can't see your back) and requires a lot of planning and prep to do correct.

I suggest posting a picture of the harness you are using and how you plan to attach the jet pack to the harness. We both have the same jet pack (which is the lightest Fett jetpack out there by 2 lbs) and I could give you some pointers on connecting it to whatever harness system you plan to use.

Sith David

• Dovakiin the akaan cuyan
« Reply #98 on: Dec 15, 2016, 09:13 PM »
WOW  :o I really love the gauntlets and the Westar 34's. Mind telling me how to do the black wash thing? I have a pair of westars,maybe you could give me your input as to if they look good or not, as well as that cool black wash grease thing. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=108405.msg1513060#msg1513060  I have never worked with cosplay anything before, but I want to learn the ways of a mando armor creation! :D

Y

I'm Dovakiin the akaan cuyan, In Tampa Florida Buurenaar Verda Clan, I hunt with my vods to get the job done!

Current WIPs - Jango Westars http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=108405.0

Hanjo Solba

« Reply #99 on: Dec 19, 2016, 02:58 PM »
My sewing machine had a button hole pattern and I simply used that when sewing it. The big thing you want is for the holes to be located logically along a path your jetpack harness straps will take. This is pretty easy to do luckily as you can wear your harness over your flak vest and figure out how the straps will run, where it will go through your vest and then through any back armor you will be wearing.

Wearing a jetpack harness, and how the straps are run, are highly dependent on where you want the jetpack worn. Be careful that your harness straps run through your armor to connect to the jet pack in such a way that minimizes stress on your armor. Traditionally back armor plates are the strongest because often they need to deal with some of this, but added stress will cause cracking at your strap points in the back plate. It will also cause your front neck piece to literally choke you if you have your back armor plate and front neck piece connected.

It sounds very simple, but getting the jetpack harness, straps, and jetpack connected was definitely the hardest part of my build. Its something you need assistance with (since you can't see your back) and requires a lot of planning and prep to do correct.

I suggest posting a picture of the harness you are using and how you plan to attach the jet pack to the harness. We both have the same jet pack (which is the lightest Fett jetpack out there by 2 lbs) and I could give you some pointers on connecting it to whatever harness system you plan to use.

I can do that!  I will take some pictures tonight or tomorrow (I know tonight is going to be a little busy) and post them.  Slightly sad they i have the pull the plates off but i figured getting the button hole location located would be very important.  I will post as soon as i can!!! Thank you for your help!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!