Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Metal Plates

• 21 Replies
Metal Plates
« on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:21 PM »
I decided to go for the metal armour plate option because I like the idea that the armour could actually protect me in the event of real battle.. (as if id ever actually need it) That and I had a scrap car hood on hand and figured I'd give it a shot! I have all my pieces cut out now that I need and I'm to the stage of shaping... Which is where I'm a little stuck. I want to make sure I have nice clean folds in my metal but am not quite sure how to accomplish it. My other problem is that I don't know what kind of strapping to use to mount my leg armour I know snaps and velcro are best for the torso but whats the best to attach the thighs knees and shins? And wheres the best place to get it?

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
Re: Metal Plates
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2016, 09:47 PM »
By folds, do you mean dishing? I do all my work on just an anvil with a couple of different sizes for ballpeen hammers and a lot of patience. Then hit them lightly with a flap disk, and finish them off with a wire wheel on a bench grinder. It's not the "right" way to do it, but it works and gives pretty good results. I'll likely end up hitting everything with a polishing wheel and some jewelers rouge before painting. Remember that any little imperfections can actually add to the overall believability of your plates. That they've really seen action.

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2016, 10:12 PM »
Shaping metal plates?  Smack them with a hammer until they fit right, vod.  That's all I ever do.  Having an anvil or a decent work bench is awesome, but I've achieved fine results with a ball peen hammer, a carpeted floor, and a cheap vice.

And leather straps should work fine for the shins and thighs, and good ol' elastic is you go-to for the knees.

« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2016, 10:45 PM »
Yea i mean shaping my plates! the metal is fairly thin so i can bend some of it by hand i just wanted to have nice clean lines on my back and shin plates. Wheres a good place to pick up leather straps and elastic?

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2016, 11:24 PM »
Yea i mean shaping my plates! the metal is fairly thin so i can bend some of it by hand i just wanted to have nice clean lines on my back and shin plates. Wheres a good place to pick up leather straps and elastic?
Google it.  They can be had online easily.  As can pretty much everything. :P

« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2016, 10:04 PM »
Attempted some shaping tonight and I'm pretty happy with the results the back plate was the most finicky part for me and its not quite perfect but I don't have anywhere to hammer it into place unless I decide I really really want to make my downstairs neighbours hate me!  :P I tried to go buy chicago screws to attach the plates tonight as well but was out of luck... apparently not many stores sell boxes of 50+ chicago screws. I will probably end up having to buy them as singles which will mean they will be more expensive but it shouldn't be more than 30-40 bucks which isn't the worst thing in the world.

I laid my plates out to get an idea of how they would look once attached (The spacing will be adjusted once they are attached)

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2016, 12:32 AM »
Could go out into the parking lot and use the asphalt. Not ideal, but it would work.

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2016, 10:21 AM »
For Chicago screws, try amazon or ebay. I'm going that route for attachment as well, and I picked up a box of 100 sets for something like $10, plus shipping. Plates are looking good, vod.

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2016, 01:12 PM »
For Chicago screws, try amazon or ebay. I'm going that route for attachment as well, and I picked up a box of 100 sets for something like $10, plus shipping. Plates are looking good, vod.
Just ordered a box off amazon... Thanks to the Canadian dollar it cost 35 bucks but that's still not too bad and I'll have loads of extras for future builds . Thanks for the suggestion Vod! Now I just have to wait for them to get here... I hate waiting... Haha

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2016, 07:26 PM »
Looks pretty good, vod!  Make sure to clean off the rust and paint it up- mild steel that thin will rust through in no time at all against a body if not properly sealed/ painted/ coated.

And don't worry, everyone has trouble with back plates.  They're notoriously tricky.

« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2016, 01:44 AM »
All the reddish colouring you see is the primer from the original paint of the car the hood came from so I shouldn't have a problem with rust coming through I got all of it off as far as I can tell. I'm glad I'm not the only one who had to struggle with the back plate!

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2016, 02:29 AM »
I go through at least 100 Chicago screws on my legacy armor builds, I like the nickel plated screws from Tandy leather. The bags of them cost $35 and they work amazing. I've checked Amazon a lot for things and even the Chicago screws and if I were to build another legacy kit(which I am) I'm going to use the Amazon ones. And I may even get a couple different sizes because stacked plates can loosen some of my screws. Looking good on the armor Vod!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2016, 11:46 PM »
Got my upper body plates mounted other than my back plate! I ordered a case of 100 chicago screws of amazon for 30 bucks. Pretty happy with how they look so far next ill have to glue the screws in place to the plates so they don't rattle around. Then i need to prime and get ready for paint! Still on the hunt for where to get some leather strapping for the leg plates! Where is a good place to get some leather straps? I was thinking of going to an upholstery store but I'm kind of just shooting in the dark. Let me know what you think of the plates spacing and sizing!

(Yes those are First Order PJ pants lol)

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2016, 12:03 AM »
Leather strapping? Petsmart :P

No, seriously. My shnee strapping is small dog collars, and my neck armor is mounted on a large.  And it comes pre-assembled, unlike a Tandy Leather kit ;D

Plates look pretty good, I'd bring that ab up some though. You want the spacing to be even all the way around all your major plates.

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2016, 08:37 AM »
You can save a trip (you'll also need a leather punch to put holes in said strapping) and hit up Tandy Leather, either at one of their stores or online.  They have a good variety to choose from, in terms of thickness and application.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2016, 06:37 PM »
You may need to do a little more trimming to even up the spacing on that. Especially the ab plate which appears to be a little lopsided.
Also, how sharp are the edges on those, they look pretty sharp from the pictures, although I know they can be deceiving, just thinking that you may end up with the edges of the chest plates slicing into your arms.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2016, 05:49 PM »
You may need to do a little more trimming to even up the spacing on that. Especially the ab plate which appears to be a little lopsided.
Also, how sharp are the edges on those, they look pretty sharp from the pictures, although I know they can be deceiving, just thinking that you may end up with the edges of the chest plates slicing into your arms.

Thanks for the feed back! You're totally right they are a bit sharp and could do with some filing down. The ab plate seems fairly even in person it may just be the picture that makes it look a little wonky but I will be sure to really take a good hard look to make sure it's even. I have my back plate ready for mounting next just need to find the time to actually get it done. Updates soon to come! Thanks all! :)

« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2016, 06:44 PM »
Back Plate Mounted! Needs a little bit more shaping to match my shoulders perfectly but so far so good!

Draceline

• Angel of War
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Special Weapons
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2016, 07:04 PM »
The backplate looks a bit wide on you. Can you move your arms freely?

"As Mandalorians, we don't need the Force.
But should you ever want it on your side, don't give it a choice:
Make the Force be with you."

Armor - Soft Parts - Buy'ce - Armory
MARS #47 | NOS #02 | LOB #18 | Draluram #8 | MAJIC #161
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2016, 07:10 PM »
The backplate looks a bit wide on you. Can you move your arms freely?

Yep. It doesn't seem to interfere with my arms at all

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2016, 08:18 PM »
It looks very wide. Mostly behind the armpit. Need about an inch off in a crescent shape with the inch being the deepest part right behind your arm.
Otherwise by the time that is shaped to hug your back you will lose the arm movement that you have right now.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Draceline

• Angel of War
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Special Weapons
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2016, 08:32 PM »
It looks very wide. Mostly behind the armpit. Need about an inch off in a crescent shape with the inch being the deepest part right behind your arm.
Otherwise by the time that is shaped to hug your back you will lose the arm movement that you have right now.

That was the same thought I had. A tight, highly structured dress bodice can do the same thing if it is too wide.

"As Mandalorians, we don't need the Force.
But should you ever want it on your side, don't give it a choice:
Make the Force be with you."

Armor - Soft Parts - Buy'ce - Armory
MARS #47 | NOS #02 | LOB #18 | Draluram #8 | MAJIC #161

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!