Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ikaan Deema's Weapons (Planning and WIP)

• 33 Replies
Ikaan Deema's Weapons (Planning and WIP)
« on: Jan 12, 2016, 07:14 PM »
Alright, so I'm working, slowly and sporadically, on a Mandalorian executioner kit. Since I want my kit to be about melee -rather than ranged- combat, most of the weapons I'm looking at doing are close-range weapons. I've got about 4(ish) weapons I want to do, including: a war axe (a non-powered one -I'm PMing an app team member about it, and finding out if it can be approved before I start), a combat knife, throwing spikes, and a fairly basic blaster carbine.

I've sketched out what I kinda want the weapons to look like, so here they are in order of the list (sans carbine).

If you have any input, or build suggestions, I'd appreciate you letting me know. Hopefully those pics show up for you.

« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2018, 07:02 PM by Ikaan Deema » Logged

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Adenn Tor's Weapons
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2016, 11:32 AM »
Pictures don't show up ): Make sure you grab the link with the image extension - should end in .jpg or .png or the like.

Non-vibro weapons are approvable (see: OriKad) but it works best if they have Mandalorian detailing - mythosaur, chest diamond shape, mando'a engravings, etc. ;)

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2016, 04:59 PM »
Ok, so can you walk me thru posting pictures? I've tried following the tutorial on the forum, but I've not been able to get it to work.

Or do I need to open the image in its own tab/window to isolate its address?

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2016, 05:11 PM »
Ok, so can you walk me thru posting pictures? I've tried following the tutorial on the forum, but I've not been able to get it to work.

Or do I need to open the image in its own tab/window to isolate its address?

Dunno how it works for you in the back end, but I just clicked the "share" button in the lower right corner, then Grab Link -> BBCode. You want the code that looks like this:

[ img ]yoururlhere.jpg[ /img ]

With image sites like this you can't just grab the url of the display page, you do need to grab the url of the image itself. ;)

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2016, 07:40 PM »
Thank you, ner vod.

So, as an example, did this work?

That answers that question. Thank you very much Kavryn.

« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2016, 02:10 AM by adenn.tor » Logged
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2016, 12:53 AM »
Ok, beyond the weapons I already mentioned, I'm figuring I should probably have some form of blaster. I'm hoping to join the Heavy Assault Brigade at some point, so I know I have to have a heavy blaster pistol/hand cannon. I did some quick research and found this:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Model_434_blaster_pistol

The thing is, I don't think most self-respecting Mando'ade would use only short-range weapons (melee and pistols). I like the look and concept of carrying a blaster carbine, and I've even picked one out ( http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/9118_heavy_carbine ) that I like. I'm worried all the things I'm looking at are too much. I know the only really "large" weapon I'd be carrying is the war axe, since carbines are small, but having four small weapons (even as I write this I'm snorting at the idea of calling a heavy blaster small) in addition to those seems like overkill.

I know I'm doing an executioner kit, so maybe overkill is in the job description, but I'll at least consider any suggestions you guys have on the matter.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2016, 08:50 AM »
First, you should make sure you have a holster, sling, or clip for any weapon you carry, if possible. The less you have to hold things, the better :) Second, just because you have all these weapons doesn't mean you have to carry them all at the same time  ;D

In my opinion, overkill is a very Mandalorian trait ;D

big man

• Peace through superior firepower
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2016, 09:51 AM »
In the words of Hannibal Smith "overkill is underrated"  :D

Btw I like the look of that ax

You can't tell me you never wave your hand at automatic doors

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2016, 09:54 AM »
I'm with Kavryn, you want your hands free as much as possible.  I've got a pistol, a verpine rifle, and a vibro knife on my kit (as well as some gauntlet mounted weapons) and I rarely carry the verp because its on a sling and it causes my plates to bunch up.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2016, 02:52 PM »
Alright, I'm posting some pics of my combat knife progress. I started it about a week ago as a test run to see what I could do, knowing that the combat knife was probably a concept I didn't need to worry about getting approved. I'm making it out of wood cos that's what I have available to me, and I want it to have some heft to it. I'm making it in 4 pieces, that way I don't have to worry about getting into awkward corners between the sections, and also cos I think it'll look more authentic. What I have here is the result of about 5 or 6 hours of work, because I spent several measuring, and then using a handsaw (before remembering that one of the few kinds of power tools I know my way around is a scroll saw). Anyway, here's what I have already. I fudged the measurements from my original design a little, but this way it should fit my hand better.

The starting picture:

Progress on the blade and the tang (after I remembered the scroll saw):

The blade and the guard*:

*I made the guard with part of the wood I had to cut off of the side of the block to make the knife the right thickness. I carved out most of the hole in the middle (I looked for a more technical term, but nakago-ana was all I could find, which isn't exactly applicable) with wood carving knives, and then used a dremel to fix the corners. You may have noticed there's chipping around the hole, but since I already have to sand the guard down to the right depth(?), I wasn't worried about it.

The blade and the guard (mostly) together:

After sanding guard down most of the way to the 1/4" depth (still not sure I'm calling that dimension the right term), I sanded the tang so that the guard would fit. It took a few rounds, but I got the guard up this high so far. When I'm not busy I'm going to be fixing that. After that, I need to do the handle pieces, and when that's done I'll be putting detail into the actual blade shape.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2016, 03:18 PM »
Looks like it's coming along quite nicely!

« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2016, 02:17 AM »
These are my design sketches for the blaster and carbine I'm planning on making. I don't really like the look of what looks more like a rifle scope on a pistol, so you'll notice my blaster pistol is missing that, even if the rest of it is consistent with the source images.

Here's the custom DeathHammer, which I'm obviously calling the Iron Crusher:

And here's the N'Gant-Zarvel 9118 carbine, which I'm calling the "Shock" (SHC: Savage Heavy Carbine) Variant:

Sorry for the fuzziness and the spare lines in the sketches. What do you guys think?

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 06:54 PM by adenn.tor » Logged
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 07:00 PM »
Okay, so I've made progress on my axe. For the most part, it's just going to be the three pieces, so the large parts of the cutting are done. This is what I've got so far. Obviously it's just the bones of the axe at this point, but I'm trying to keep this updated, and myself motivated, instead of letting this thread gather dust.

This is essentially the idea of the blades and how they'll look with the handle.

This is with both blades at least partially cut.

I also decided what I want to do with my gauntlets. Since I don't have the experience to feel comfortable doing weapons platforms, I'm choosing to make my gauntlets fairly basic and put dagger sheathes, and their accompanying daggers, on them. I wanted to go with a basic, fairly straight blade for my daggers, so this is what I came up with.

If you guys have any suggestions or advice, please let me know.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 03:09 AM by adenn.tor » Logged
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 03:33 PM »
Ok, so it's been a little while, so I don't think this is considered double posting. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I've been working on my axe the last couple days, trying to get as much done as I can before I leave to work at Camp. Here's where I'm at. I got the starting angles cut, then used a few files/rasps to work in actual curves, and then I sanded it. Probably not as much as I should have, but it still looks good. The handle is stained (not pictured) and the blades are primed and waiting for me to have time to actually paint them. I've started working on "sleeves" that will make it seem like the blade was forged as a solid piece and was mounted to the handle afterward, but those are gonna take me a while with the way I'm doing them. Anyway, here are the progress pictures. I know, it's really basic, but I don't have much skill with fabricating or anything so I didn't want to make it complicated. That'll come on my other weapons.

One blade (mostly) done, the other just started.

Both sanded down.

And finally primed.

I don't think I ever explained the reason for the concave curve of the blades. It's a design that I've had in mind for years (I used to doodle Medieval-esque weapons when I was bored in class, I was a weird kid), and it's meant to allow the wielder to fight someone using a sword without requiring a lot of dodging. The idea I kind of based it on was a mix of stave fighting, the crescent-shaped guards of Chinese hook swords, and, obviously, an axe.

Re: Ikaan Deema's Weapons (Planning and WIP)
« Reply #14 on: Apr 03, 2018, 03:10 AM »
Most recently I had been focusing on my kit's soft parts, but now I'm shifting towards working on my weapons, partly as a means to stave off the lack of motivation caused by my depression. Working on something "new" will help, I think. The last few days I've been working on my blaster pistol, which is based on the Model 434 heavy blaster pistol. I've made it a custom design, in large part because the reference images from Wookieepedia aren't 360°. Also, the fact that I hate the aesthetic of scopes-on-everything may have had something to do with it. You can see a low quality sketch I did of the concept farther back in the thread. I did a better, full-size "sketch" so I could make my templates for the various parts.

Here's one of the inspiration pictures I'm using:

The full-size sketch, after several handle iterations:

The template(s):

And now here's my progress!!
You'll notice my interpretation of the blaster has the durasteel (pvc) running most of the way back along the top of the blaster. From the reference picture, I thought that was how it was actually designed, but having seen sketches by other people, I'm not so sure anymore. Also, because pvc is thicker than metal tubing, you aren't really going to be able to see the barrel inside the pvc, even with the vent holes drilled into it.

So, the majority of my time working on the pistol last night was spent doing this (please forgive the unevenness of the holes - my drill press is old and missing some pieces, so it was easier to freehand the holes with the drill):

Here's the barrel lined up with the first body piece and the uncut handle (the outline of which you might be just able to make out, sorry for the glare on the wood) so I could get a feel for the basic setup:

And this is where I'm at now, after cutting both body layers out, affixing them so I could even them out (don't worry, I'm gonna cover the screw holes), cutting out the rough shape of the handle, and cutting the notch in the pvc so it's the right shape for my design:

The parts aren't attached to each other yet, I was just lining them up for a progress check. I'm pretty happy with my progress, but if y'all have any feedback or suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Shurik Bhar'vani

• "Scopes are for people who worry they might miss"
« Reply #15 on: Apr 03, 2018, 08:12 AM »
I like where this is going! Keep it up vod

"Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Nice list?  Must be a typo. <ZAP> <ZAP><ZAP> " -Bazii Malric on Santa Shurik, circa 201(3?)
« Reply #16 on: Apr 07, 2018, 06:40 PM »
My progress has been a bit slower than I'd like. I had a goal yesterday of at least finishing my axe, that way I'd have at least one of my weapons done. Realizing the weather wouldn't allow for finishing the axe completely took some of the motivation out of me, but shuffling around in the garage somewhat aimlessly gave me time to pore over the pieces. Turned out I needed to sand the axe heads down more and fill in some spots where the wood splintered at the edges. I sanded both axe heads down, but I only got to put wood filler on one of them before I called it a night on using tools. That said, I definitely think I put enough filler on it to cover/even out the wood grain and fill in the splintered bits. Now I just need to sand that down, put filler on the other one, sand that, and I think the blades will be ready to attach. Then I get to work on something to make it look like the blades are attached to each other instead of directly to the haft. I was going to try to use wood to make rings to slide over the haft, and attach the blades to those, and make them look like one piece, but I came up with an easier idea. I think I'm going to use sintra to make it look like the blades were forged separately, then riveted together using squares of metal shaped around the haft. I don't know how to describe it better, so I may try sketching it out and posting the pic to better explain.

After I stopped working on my axe for the night, I decided I wanted to do a better design sketch for my blaster carbine. Here's the sketch, which I modified a little after the picture.

With that design comes a couple questions. First, what is the typical length of a carbine? I couldn't find a straight-forward answer online last night. The general consensus seemed to be that the barrel length is typically under 20 inches. So that's about what I'm accounting for. Second question: do carbines use significantly shorter stocks than regular rifles? I found a something that said the standard stock length is something like 13.5 inches, but I didn't know if that length is universal to all "long" guns (rifles, shotguns, carbines, etc.). As it is, I'm figuring my stock will be about 13.5 inches long, and the rest of the blaster will be 19.5 inches. Problem is, that's a total of 33 inches long, and that just seems a little big to me.

If anyone has any suggestions or answers to those questions, I would greatly appreciate them.

**edit 1: I know that modern carbines are significantly shorter than historical carbines, but given the source material (N'gant-Zarvel 9118 heavy blaster carbine) and the general aesthetics of Star Wars, I was assuming the proportions would be more in line with the historical variety.

**edit 2: This is a reference picture of the blaster carbine, if it helps explain things.

« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2018, 07:18 PM by Ikaan Deema » Logged

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #17 on: Apr 07, 2018, 09:26 PM »
If you're looking for information on WWI and WWII weapons, a good place to go would be the Forgotten Weapons YouTube channel.  The guy who runs it has tons of info.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Shurik Bhar'vani

« Reply #18 on: Apr 07, 2018, 09:41 PM »
If you're looking for information on WWI and WWII weapons, a good place to go would be the Forgotten Weapons YouTube channel.  The guy who runs it has tons of info.

I can help a bit with this, military history and firearm nut that I am  :laugh:

Historically speaking, a carbine is usually a modification to a full-size rifle where the barrel and overall front end has been cut down to a shorter length, usually 24" barrel length or less (24" being "this is basically still a rifle, but we're French and our 8mm Lebel is over four feet long so we needed to do something realistic about that").

As far as Star Wars blasters are concerned, it's entirely up to you. In Knights of the Old Republic, blaster carbines have no stocks at all and what appears to be about a 12" barrel, while the rifles look about 3ft long overall and still have no stocks -- examples from the movies for blaster carbines include the E-11 stormtrooper rifle (which is definitely a carbine, having replaced the DC-15 rifles that the clones used) and Boba Fett's EE-3.

If you're going with a classic-style stock, such as the one in the picture, i would recommend a standard-length to it if only for comfort while shouldering the rifle for pictures and whatnot.

It's worth noting that an overall length of 33" is exactly the same length as a real/airsoft m4 carbine with the stock fully extended -- so that's still well within "carbine" length rifles.

"Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Naughty list...  <ZAP> Nice list?  Must be a typo. <ZAP> <ZAP><ZAP> " -Bazii Malric on Santa Shurik, circa 201(3?)

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #19 on: Apr 07, 2018, 09:49 PM »
Thanks, Shurik.  :D
I'm a bit of a firearms nut, too, but I'm mostly an Old West pistols and modern guy.  Though I DO love the German made stuff from WWII... ;D

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Shurik Bhar'vani

« Reply #20 on: Apr 07, 2018, 10:21 PM »
Thanks, Shurik.  :D
I'm a bit of a firearms nut, too, but I'm mostly an Old West pistols and modern guy.  Though I DO love the German made stuff from WWII... ;D

Fair enough  :laugh: I just happen to be a massive military history nerd as well.

Staying on topic -- I actually really like that blaster design! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with Ikaan  8)

« Reply #21 on: Apr 09, 2018, 12:12 PM »
Based on the sketch I'd say your pistol grip area will be a little cramped. I'd move the receiver forward a little. Or lengthen the grip.

« Reply #22 on: Apr 09, 2018, 02:54 PM »
On the pistol? The handle actually came out pretty long, but I'll keep an eye on it. Thank you.

Shurik Bhar'vani

« Reply #23 on: Apr 09, 2018, 03:09 PM »
On the pistol? The handle actually came out pretty long, but I'll keep an eye on it. Thank you.

I think he meant the sketch of your carbine vod  :laugh:

« Reply #24 on: Apr 09, 2018, 10:59 PM »
I thought they did too, but after darthdan said pistol grip, I'll admit I wasn't sure.

As for the carbine grip, that and the stock were among the design pieces I edited after taking the picture of the sketch. I can post a pic of the modified version a little later. If I do, I'll just edit it into this post. That said, I may still have to modify the design further. Having not really handled guns often, or designed them before, I am far from an expert, and I'll listen to any feedback and suggestions I can get.

« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2018, 11:02 PM by Ikaan Deema » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!