Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Vor'en Marr Armour WIP

• 16 Replies

Vor'en Marr

• Vor'en Marr
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member
Vor'en Marr Armour WIP
« on: Jan 20, 2016, 09:20 AM »
Hi Vods,

Ive posted on my local clans board the Vok'Chi  :P some of my progress, but as i am gathering pace, thought it best to post my separate WIPs.

So for my armour

I have cut an affixed the templates numerous times to ensure the spacing between collar and chest plates ans the chest plates to the diamond are spot on, to allow me to cut them from Sintra, after Kris (my Ruus'alor) and Nala (my Alor'ad) cast their eyes over  :o lol.

My thigh plates were a little large so i went with the medium template, which sat much better (thanks guys) and i chopped them all out of a nice fresh piece of Sintra.

A table full of armour ready to be molded

My knees are being cut from another piece this week.

I also started to form a blade, but will update progress on this in a weapons WIP.

My heat gun packed up this week, that's what i get for stripping a hand rail and not doing my armour.. I'll pick up another this weekend and start the forming process and post my progress for your expert advise and guidance

My Backplate will a one piece with at attachment for rear mounted staff, again ill post progress of this as conscious the backplate mounting method (velcro vs snaps etc may need explored if i continue down this path).

As always, i welcome any feedback suggestions and of course guidance.

Oya......

MMCC OM #1437 |MMCC Brigade #198| B.O.M.B #069 | MiB #018| B.O.O.M #027

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Vor'en Marr Armour WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2016, 03:59 PM »
Looking good! If you're with Vok'Chi, you're in good hands :)

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Vor'en Marr

• Vor'en Marr
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2016, 06:18 AM »
Hi all, apologies for the absence of recent posts, but here is my progress.

Ive formed all of the armour now, boot armour and shin will be attached to the boots, fixed at the back with black webbing and parachute clips. Some more detail to be added to them, a plate at the front, and a knife holster on each.

The thigh armour will have holsters added for my custom westar 35s, webbing added for securing to the thigh and a belt loop, in addition to industrial strength velcro... just in case  :P

Excuse the lower RS thigh plate, sticking with selotape to tracksuit bottoms..not great. Cod plate has been molded to allow a bit of room  ;) this will be attached to a belt, same one as the thigh plates and will sit under the girth belt.

Now for the main bits. The girth belt will sit higher as i have no flight suit or vest on in these pics. sits nice n snug.
I might take a shaving off the ab plate, but ill wait from my vest before i cut n trim.

Full length.. as above some tweaks, but mainly positional (darn selotape).
The shoulder bells will sit on Jango style shoulders on my vest. allowing space for bicep armour. I'll decide a bit more on this when i've test fit the vest with the rest of the kit.

Knees are in progess, 6mm sintra being used for depth as is the backplate. #headache
Gauntlets will be sintra also. ive downloaded the WOF files and will begin them in the next week or so. ive lots of greeblie for these including hoses to be attached to a tank attached to the backplate.

Still loads to do, but getting there. comments as always welcome..

Vor'en Marr

• Vor'en Marr
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2016, 12:56 PM »
Hi Guys,

Just a couple of updates. I've trimmed my breast plates and trimmed the ab plate thanks to expert advice from Kris. The mythasaur i had cut out previously for my girth belt has made its way onto my RH breast plate.

My shins looked a little plain and thought id tweak them a little before looking at fixing methods to my boots. These have just been glued to the shins, some bondo and sanding to be done yet.

ding...some sanding and bondo later.. more still to do

The attachment method will be with snaps. i bought a selection of heavy duty snaps and decent epoxy.
Both shins have had two snaps added and will also secured with webbing around the back of the boot with parachute clips.. just in case

Same for the boot armour. I've added 2 snaps to the sides and one for the toe plate. ill tweak these a little too but happy that these wont come off  ;D

The backplate will be finished tomorrow... finally

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2016, 07:21 PM »
I'm liking the mods to that top plate there, vod! Keep up the good work ;D

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Vor'en Marr

• Vor'en Marr
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2016, 02:07 PM »
Just a couple of updates. i should do more frequent ones.
My Saz night owl helmet arrived.

just to sort a visor and some ultra el wire for lighting the lower rim of the eyes.

Some rare earth magnets and tactical webbing added to my shins, to attach directly to my boots. ill add a small strip of industrial strength velcro (halfords sell everything lol) just to make sure.

A light touch of primer

And attached to my boots.. and nope they don't move.

And onto the rest of the armor

A few more mods to do aswell..
double plates on shoulder bells, bicep armour, addition to the backplate (raised Vok'Chi sigil)
Boot armour beefed up a little rather than standard plates and some additions to the thigh plates.

more to follow this week.

Vor'en Marr

• Vor'en Marr
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2016, 04:23 AM »
Just a couple of updates.

I thought my cod was a little plain, so beefed it up by adding sintra to build up the sides and bondo to fill the gaps. A couple of greeblies added too

I have a few extra bits to add to the armour, with knees, bicep plates and gauntlets being tackleed next.

LordMitchell

• "Dodge these!" *fires rocket* ~Boba Fett
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2016, 12:22 PM »
That armor is looking good!  :o
Definetly following this for more progress.

Michiel

Malek Dair

• Ratiin ba'balut oya!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2016, 12:34 PM »
Great build so far. Keep it up vod!

Following this kit with interest. Oya!

Armour Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=94290.0

Helmet Thread (COMPLETED): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=95445.0

Soft Parts: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=107583.0

Gauntlets: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=114126.0

Education and armor, self defense, our tribe, our language and Our Leader All help us Survive

M.V.S. #29
B.O.M.B. #65
B.o.B.B. #009

Vor'en Marr

• Vor'en Marr
« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2016, 02:03 PM »
So here we go,just a light update.
The armour is more or less complete, just knees (haven't decided which style, likely do my own) and gauntlets (scratch built from sintra).

All have been treated to two healthy coats of primer and the same with aluminium paint. Ill distress some of these shiny pieces soon ahead of the masking and painting of the main colours.

My new sheet of sintra has arrived too. so i can now complete the shoulder bell plates and bicep plates as well as knees and gaunts.

My boot armour will be extremely dirtied up. but for now you can see two raised additions. these are part of my backstory, having a Strill as a pet and the other being the arc of the moon Concordia, memories of Mandalore.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2016, 11:41 PM »
Plate sizing and spacing is on point (hike up the shoulder bells a bit when mounting your plates), but that Night Owl is tiny on you.  You might want to consider a larger helmet. :P

Vor'en Marr

• Vor'en Marr
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2016, 06:42 PM »
Backplate update.
I was not sure where i should mount my knife and finally settled on a spot on my backplate.
So I made a thin sheath out of sintra. just big enough for the blade to seat, and tight enough to make sure it doesnt fall out.

Here is what the inside looks like.

I fixed the sheath to the backplate with a couple of countersunk screws and e6000. All of the gaps filled with sintra scraps

1st coat of primer. ill sand and fill a little more to smooth it out.

Boot update
Ready for paint n weathering now.

Collar plate and backplate now attach together. Some reheating and a little trim has them spot on now.

I have a couple of shoulder studs to add to the collar plate along with some reinforcing trauma plates. I now have a spot for the shoulder cape to mount to.

All plates have had industrial strength velcro applied and will cure for a day or so. The fussy sew on velcro will be sewn on to the flight suit and vest in the next day or so.

Vor'en Marr

• Vor'en Marr
« Reply #12 on: Apr 02, 2016, 02:20 PM »
In the final stages of the armour now. painting in progress. just a couple of additions though.
The bicep plate will be cut, formed and painted tomorrow.

My shoulder studs are complete, i'll fit them tomorrow then attach my cape through the eyelets and bolt underneath. the backplate / collar plate. I cam across an old extra keyboard. i didn't particularly want large keys and was thrilled with the slim ones i found. some decent epoxy and bam, they are in and solid.

I've cut out a neat template for kill stripes which will sit on my collar plate, rather than helmet.
below is a rough photoshop view of how the accent stripes may look (disregard the colours on this), my colours are in a separate pic.

My overall colour scheme has changed, as I thought it might, to be more in keeping with desert ops theme and with brigades in mind.

For my backplate this will be extremely worn so i have feathered several layers of paint over aluminium and distressed it to show lots of metal effect.

Gauntlets and knees will be this week.

I'll post new pics of the 2nd coat of paint and then the weathering black washes begins.

here are some progress pics.

More to follow tomorrow

Kurshi BeJahaal

• I don't roll on Shabbos. ב"ה
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #13 on: Apr 02, 2016, 07:41 PM »
Watching this thread with interest!

MMCC #1484¦¦64 Career Invasions¦¦Rancor Clan
Helmet Scratch Build||Beskar||Privateer||Protector

Vor'en Marr

• Vor'en Marr
« Reply #14 on: Apr 03, 2016, 03:33 PM »
Well it didn't rain today so i was able to get out and get the armour painted.
I wet with an accent colour right through the armour and added kill stripes on my collar plate.

For the weathering, the aluminium paint came through really well using vaseline and a little brush.
I reapplied the vaseline with each layer of paint so i could get a good depth of colours. 2 coats of primer, 2 coats of aluminium, 2 of my top coat and another with the accent colour.

Bicep plate has been cut and painted to match the rest of the armour.

The last bits of paint will be the mythosaur skull on one shoulder bell and the Vok'Chi sigil on the other.

Close up of the backplate

Collar studs have been added, two are epoxy'd on, the other two are bolted. these will hold my shoulder cape in place.

Chest pieces

Shin plates

So onto my gauntlets. I've cut them out and trimmed. These will be one piece, not hinged like some others.

Some bits n pieces for hoses and flamethrowers

Still some more to do but getting closer to the finish line.

Vor'en Marr

• Vor'en Marr
« Reply #15 on: Apr 13, 2016, 05:10 PM »
final stretch and its onto the knees.
I wanted something a little different for my knees, but still in keeping with the style of the kit.

Some measuring and drawing resulted in this.

Cut out of 6mm sintra

And formed around the same jig used for the fett knees

Test fit.. yep i think its ok. now make another

And snap a pair. Now for some bondo and sanding.

Vor'en Marr

• Vor'en Marr
« Reply #16 on: Apr 18, 2016, 04:47 PM »
Knees are now complete.
Some bondo and sanding..

after some grey primer a couple of coats of aluminium.

Final paint, weathering..

just some velcro to attach to the knees..

Kit is now complete, woohooo. now for full kit on and a couple of tweaks before app pics.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!