Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Yogi's Jetpack build

• 24 Replies

Yogi

Yogi's Jetpack build
« on: Jan 21, 2016, 10:51 AM »
This is my Jetpack build WIP, loosely based off of the WOF templates. This isn't going to be a direct copy of the Z6, but sort of inspired by. So far this build has cost me a whopping 6 dollars as I've been able to use a lot of materials and pieces I had around the house or got for free. Note in some pictures I have stand in Items so that I can sort of visualize the final product and plan.

For the base I used a section of wood paneling I had laying around, the center cylinder is a free 4" cardboard tube I got from the home depot Rug section. The outer tanks are 3" mailing tubes that you can get from a UPS store or any store with mailing supplies. The inner frame is some spare wood I had laying around. the top section around the tanks is the top of a plastic storage bin. The section where the missile will attach is from some old Carburetor spacers I had laying around. I still have a ways to go with this one but its starting to take shape, stay tuned.

MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan

Yogi

Re: Yogi's Jetpack build
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2016, 03:42 PM »
Cut an old license plate in half to cover the front section, and made the sides from an aluminum no smoking sign I purchased at Home Depot for 2 bucks. Rocket is made from a star wars cup that I got at Toys R US for 99c and a toddler puffs container. Next I just need to craft the back plate and do a whole lot of bondo work and sanding

MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan

civvik

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2016, 04:56 PM »
Looking good brotha! Can't wait to see how this is going to turn out! I like that you've kept with the Star Wars look while doing a non-traditional build.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2016, 08:41 PM »
Hahahaha this backpack is a thing of beauty. I'm really enjoying seeing all the junk you're finding and turning into a perfectly reasonable jetpack.  ;D

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Yogi

« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2016, 11:35 PM »
First hit of Bondo

Experimenting with exhaust vents

The more I see the missile the less I like its shape, this one will probably get scrapped

« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2016, 03:58 PM by Yogi » Logged
MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan

Yogi

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2016, 01:53 PM »
More bondo work and sanding to fix seams and blend the different pieces of the jetpack:

Rocket is definitely getting scrapped at this point and I will start over and try something else with it.

MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan

Yogi

« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2016, 04:23 PM »
Added the backplate, cut an access panel into it so that I can add electronics later. I also made a new rocket and I liked this one a lot better. I removed the bottom thrusters as I think I will go with the thrusters to the side design like the z6.

MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan

Yogi

« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2016, 08:00 PM »
Added this shower drain as a vent to the bottom of the carb spacer

Also added a 3"- 4" PVC pipe to the main missle section.

Got some bondo work to do to the missle and the back of the JP, but Im just about done with construction and plan to paint this weekend. Any suggestion for a color scheme?

MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan

Snooptheroop

• "..." -Luke Skywalker, The Force Awakens
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2016, 09:05 PM »
I'd say make it go with the colors of your costume. Or if you want to do something different, Google mandalorian color meaning and you can see what each color represents.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2016, 09:33 PM »
So I'm very curious, what's the final price tag on this thing? :P

Yogi

« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2016, 10:05 PM »
So I'm very curious, what's the final price tag on this thing? :P

well since I had most of the stuff just laying around or it was free, I've spent maybe $20. Spent a lot of man hours on it though. I've been unemployed since June so I had to get creative as money wasn't really available otherwise I would have just bought a MOW. I start a new Job on Monday so I'll have cash but no longer unlimited time :)

MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2016, 10:26 PM »
hehehe that's not a bad price at all ;D

Congratulations, I'd take money and limited time any day :P

Drako Katora

• It's fun to shoot from bell towers, very dramatic.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2016, 04:00 PM »
It might be an issue with the wifi where I'm at but I'm not seeing the images  :(

Yogi

« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2016, 06:37 PM »
It might be an issue with the wifi where I'm at but I'm not seeing the images  :(

I think photo bucket is down today

MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan

Yogi

« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2016, 07:04 PM »
Finished the assembly, paint and weathering on the body. Color is Rustoleum Deep Forest Green. Really pleased at how this turned out, especially for a grand total of about $30 invested (Although a ton of man hours). Not happy with the rocket at all so I will be looking to order one. In the future I plan to add a harness system once I have my armor ready as well as electronics like a beacon light.

MMCC #1845
Haaranovor Clan

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!