Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Mando build WIP, first time working with Sintra

• 29 Replies

Hiryu02

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
Hello again folks, here is my concept for my first Mando armor build. I'm going with a Medium-class build, and the plan is to primarily purchase the base parts and paint/modify to my specifications. now is building the armor plates from scratch with Sintra, due to some setbacks in my initial plan.

First off, here is the base design from the Mandomaker program:

The plan is for the armor plates to be a darker blue, more on the grey side. Slate blue, sor something similar.

I also plan to add a customized cloak, fairly large that may or may not also function as a hood. Here is a sketch of the concept. Again, I only had primary color markers on hand, so please imagine the colors as being darker or duller than they appear. I also wish to add a loincloth in the front, over the cod. Please excuse that I did not draw both arms and legs:

Now to be honest, I may change the color scheme when I get to the actual paint stages. I am having a hard time getting the right colors in Mandomaker so for the time being I am using my original colorway. I am thinking about changing to a dark gray on the helm and arms, as well as on the thigh and shin plates. Then using a dull/drab green for the chest plates. I will be doing "shknees" or a shin+ knee armor combination, with thigh plates.

The color of the cloak and loincloth may change as well.

Anyway, enough of the planning, I was able to get my hands on some 3mm Sintra locally and here we are. I also purchased a very nice flak jacket from K'raam here on the boards

Templates, CHECK.
Sintra, CHECK.
Tools, CHECK.
Flak vest, CHECK.
WIP thread, CHECK.
Bodybag, CHECK!

I started cutting out and measuring templates, and here is the initial sizing with just the templates:

I believe I have everything trimmed down correctly, so I transferred my templates to the Sintra:

I'm going to be cutting out more templates and Sintra in the coming days, but I'm not very familiar with Sintra and this is my first time working with it. So I do have a few questions.

What is the best method for bending/heat-forming Sintra? I read that a heatgun works fine but I'm just wondering.

I assume the chest plates are bent around the torso to give a more 3-D shape? Same with the belly plates?

How does one get the "folds" in the shin armor? I assume you bend the sintra into the curved shin-plate shape and then you glue the shin top plate onto the curved/folded shin? Is it a curve or a fold?

I do like how sintra sands relatively easily and will look nice with beveled edges.

"The Cabal centurion opened up on her at point-blank, and we heard the most fearsome sound. She was laughing." - Monitor Type 2 Titan armor

"Only the armor lasts" - RC 8015, Fi Skirata
OM#2184

Mig Gilamar

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: First Mando build WIP, first time working with Sintra
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2016, 08:14 PM »
Absolutely buy a heat gun. I got mine at Harbor Frieght for maybe $20. A hairdryer never got hot enough, even for 3mm. I've seen some use the oven, but I'm too concerned about fumes in the house.

Hiryu02

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2016, 08:24 PM »
Absolutely buy a heat gun. I got mine at Harbor Frieght for maybe $20. A hairdryer never got hot enough, even for 3mm. I've seen some use the oven, but I'm too concerned about fumes in the house.

To clarify, I do have a heat gun but haven't gotten to heating any sintra yet with it. So that is a reliable method for heat shaping? I'd rather not use the oven as I'm concerned about the same thing.

"The Cabal centurion opened up on her at point-blank, and we heard the most fearsome sound. She was laughing." - Monitor Type 2 Titan armor

OM#2184

Ihala

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2016, 08:34 PM »
Heat gun works well.  Play with a scrap piece first, and I recommend gloves (I have heat-proof bbq mittens).  Keep the gun moving steady and evenly, the 3mm will warp easily if you get too close or overheat one spot.  It helps to have forms to bend it on, we use pipes, smooth cans and heavy bottles...and anything else sturdy and heat resistant :)

It smells a little, but you can do it inside if you ventilate with a fan... in the kitchen by the stove fan isn't the worst idea when it's this cold.

Elek, ke gana ash...
"Yes, have some..."

MMCC #1112
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2016, 08:56 PM »
yes, i use a heatgun as well, btw your drawing skills are aces :P

"Ni narir va gaanader mando jibr, mando jibr gaanader ni"-Jalkaryr jag

(I didn't choose the mandalorian life, the mandalorian life chose me)-(my name)

Hiryu02

« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2016, 08:09 PM »
Long time no updates, and in that time the deal -I mean the plan has been altered. As I thought more about the build, I found that I had changed my mind about certain things, and so there have been some broad changes. I cut down the number of planned weapons by one, and also the general design of the armor changed. As I continue to make incremental progress, certain things start to jump out at me as not making sense in a functional way. I feel that my mando would prize function over form and form would follow function. So I am dropping my dual vibro-axes to one, as storage for two axes, a rifle and a pistol on my person would be very unwieldy.

This then made me think about handed-ness and the possible utility of having heavy armor on my non-dominant "shield arm", while keeping my axe or pistol in my right hand for accuracy. Armored left arm and shoulder means I can present the more heavily-protected side of my body towards the enemy in melee or in some ranged situations.

I also moved away from the slate blue, to a planned olive drab and tan/brown. The planned shade of tan is difficult to replicate on Mandomaker or with my limited skills with digital drawing/coloring, but it's a lot more "earthy" than the slightly bright colors in the photos.

Due to the limitations of Mandomaker, this doesn't include the asymmetrical plates on the arms. The general idea in the artwork below, showing the cloak, and the additional armor and shknees.

This is the progress from last week, both shknees are finished, curving the torso plates starting this week, and yes that is a Destiny Titan mark that I am repainting into a loincloth to more closely match the artwork.

Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

OM#2184

Hiryu02

« Reply #6 on: Aug 13, 2016, 06:33 PM »
Torso plates have been shaped, please excuse the photo quality. Taped everything to the vest to test for fit and curvature. Haven't settled on an attachment method yet. Feedback and advice appreciated as always.

« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2016, 06:57 PM by Hiryu02 » Logged

OM#2184

Hiryu02

« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2016, 03:15 PM »
My helmet is on the way, and so I'm going to start moving into final prep stages of the armor. My question now has to do with "sequencing". I.e. in what order to perform the final details on the plates.

I'm thinking this is the order:
1. Final sanding and shaping
2. Priming and painting (all painting steps)
3. Measuring placement on the vest/suit
4. Actual attachment of the plates

Am I missing any steps? Should I re-order steps?

OM#2184

Carter

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #8 on: Aug 23, 2016, 08:19 AM »
Ok first off Double post is a no no on the forums. FYI. LOL  ;)

Ok it really depends on a few things, like how you're attaching your plates.

Shape First, then sand.
Measure placement on vest/suit.
Attach plates.
Then once you're happy with them, paint.

The main reason I suggest this is sometimes you need to reshape plates once they are attached to the vest, and you don't want to want to damage the paint job.

Also shaping before sanding is always a good idea because sometimes cut edges of plastic can curl up just slightly when heated.

Hope that Helps vode.

M.A.J.I.C. #118

Join The Mercs, Visit exotic places, meet strange people, then kill them.

Hiryu02

« Reply #9 on: Aug 23, 2016, 10:08 AM »
My apologies. I know not to double post for same-day or even close updates. But if there are no responses, and I had a fresh tangent I thought a new post was acceptable. I will edit my last post going forward. I reviewed the Mandalore's sticky and indeed I will refrain from double posts in the future.

And also thank you. That suggestion makes a lot of sense, and it addresses the potential issues I'm trying to avoid. I would pull my hair out I think if I painted and sanded everything, then found out my placement was wrong or needed to tweak a curve. Much appreciated.

OM#2184

Carter

• Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #10 on: Aug 23, 2016, 11:29 AM »
No problem Vode.

M.A.J.I.C. #118

Join The Mercs, Visit exotic places, meet strange people, then kill them.

Eitanya

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians
« Reply #11 on: Aug 23, 2016, 03:36 PM »
I'm going to keep this thread away from my husband because he would knock you in the head and steal that first idea (he's a huge Strider fan.)   ;)

I like your new plan though, I think the color scheme will look great.  Keep in mind with the asymmetrical look that plates are considered one piece as a pair, though.  If you have a bicep plate on one side, you have to have one on the other side, etc.

Hiryu02

« Reply #12 on: Aug 23, 2016, 03:52 PM »
He is welcome to it, haha. I actually didn't realize at the time I was doing Strider Hiryu colors with the red and blue. Subliminal color preference, I guess.

The brown/green colorway may still change. I'm actually leaning towards a Queadluun-Rau inspired colorway with grey/green at the moment. Plus cloak/loincloth colors may change to complement better, etc. I am taking Rau for my Mando surname when I put in the OM app.

I will definitely not scrap the asymmetrical armor though, that's going to be my signature look. It will not be a bicep plate, though it does look like one. It's actually a secondary/tertiary flap attached to the additional pauldron.

OM#2184

Hiryu02

« Reply #13 on: Sep 13, 2016, 10:18 AM »
Some updates, mostly posting these for feedback on spacing and shaping.

Here are the plates, just taped on, to get an idea of the basic shapes and placement. Please excuse the stiff pose and I didn't suck in my gut enough, haha.

This last photo, I have the collar plate actually mounted with Chicago screws, so it is removable but is mounted. Please excuse the bathroom selfie.

First off, does the collar plate look like it is placed correctly? I'm aware the chest plates are not spaced right.

Second, in order to have the outer lines of the chest plates follow the lines of the collar, I will need to shave off either the inner tabs around the chest diamond, or the outer edges of the "upper wings" to create the correct spacing between the left and right sides of the chest and thus the chest diamond, correct?

I know the overall lines all flow from correct placement of the collar plate, so I want to be ABSOLUTELY sure one way or another is the collar plate is set correctly, so I can continue marking and mounting the chest and ab.

Eagerly awaiting any feedback. Thank you!

OM#2184

Eitanya

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians
« Reply #14 on: Sep 27, 2016, 10:44 AM »
Collar looks good to me!  As far as trimming, I personally find it easier to trim off the outside as opposed to the inside.  Doesn't look like you need much, just a little at a time until everything lines up correctly.  :)

Hiryu02

« Reply #15 on: Sep 27, 2016, 11:05 AM »
Collar looks good to me!  As far as trimming, I personally find it easier to trim off the outside as opposed to the inside.  Doesn't look like you need much, just a little at a time until everything lines up correctly.  :)

Thank you! That is the plan. Going to wait to do final fine edge trimming until I get some velcro sewn on. Once I have the velcro on there for precise spacing adjustments, I'll know exactly how much I need to trim, if anything.

I actually went to a hybrid mounting system, due to the fact that the Chicago screws and eyelets had a bit of play in them that made exact spacing somewhat of an issue. Now the tops of the chest plates are fastened with the screws, then using velcro on the middle and bottom sides to enable spacing.

I had some hiccups on my planned gaunts, the plastic of the toilet brush holders doesn't seem to want to take glue or epoxy to fasten the plastic clips I was going to use for the elastic. Which is why I was asking you about your gaunts. Testing to see if I can even glue Sintra to the toilet brush holder piece right now, if that doesn't work I'll have to use the brush holder as a buck on which to shape sintra into a cylinder, and just make the gaunt directly out of sintra. Which really I was trying to avoid, but you know what they say about the best laid plans of gdans and Mandos...

OM#2184

Eitanya

« Reply #16 on: Sep 27, 2016, 12:17 PM »
oh my original gauntlet plan didn't work either, hence the elastic.  Make it work!   ;D

Hiryu02

« Reply #17 on: Apr 30, 2017, 07:03 PM »
I'm working on this project again, my apologies for the long delay, had a lot of IRL stuff going on and was not motivated to craft.

In any case, on the Gauntlets, I sort of had an epiphany; I tend to over-complicate everything.  I spent a lot of time trying to make a two-piece left gaunt construction. Then I had the realization that uhh, I didn't really need to do a two-piece. Some proper internal padding, and the gaunt would fit fine as two halves glued together. I didn't need to make it harder than that. Don't get me wrong, I want to make something cool and unique, but this is my first build, and I was throwing out a design that was perfectly serviceable in order to make a "unique" opening and closing method that for now, is unnecessary.

So for now I am reverting to a one-piece design for the left gaunt. And a half bracer gaunt with a mounted vibro-blade on the right arm (extendable, but manual. I know blades that shoot out automatically are a hard no for approval) .

Left arm base looks like this:

Right arm base, with early blade. Blade will have a full housing and will sit on the upper half of the forearm, secured with straps and worn over a leather arm wrap.

I'm still going to bulk up the left arm to conform to the original design, but going to try to keep things under a tighter leash. I can always upgrade the armor later as I get better and have more time to work on the design.

OM#2184

Hiryu02

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 08:38 PM »
The housing is starting to take shape. Also gives you an idea of the extending blade length.

OM#2184

Hiryu02

« Reply #19 on: Jun 14, 2017, 04:16 PM »
Vibroblade has been painted with a drybrush layering technique to bring out a metallic look, and center bar has been given a very thin coat of gray acrylic that still shows metallic streaks showing through the gray.

Now I'm waiting on some good weather to apply a clearcoat to seal, then I will glue it into the bottom part of the mounting piece. I am painting the blade beforehand because once it is glued in, I plan to enclose it and will no longer have unrestricted access to the part to paint it.

OM#2184

Hiryu02

« Reply #20 on: Jul 05, 2017, 09:36 AM »
Created a "plunger" mechanism to get the vibroblade extension started.  This allows me to place one finger on the back release button, press down, and push the center bar outward with my thumb.

Also made the rough version of the top cover, I will trim down the back end by about a centimeter or so to save weight. Due to the sintra having a bit of thickness to it, luckily I will be able to have a flush top side with a minimum of bondo after gluing the top cover in place.

OM#2184

Hiryu02

« Reply #21 on: Aug 15, 2017, 09:10 AM »
Okay, so I had a friend over to help me take a full body pic of everything as I have it now. This is kind of a test shot to see how everything is looking and to help me identify issues. This is the first time I've actually tried everything on at the same time. It's missing several things and there are issues which are not correct in the pics, and he didn't know to correct them as he was just helping me take pics haha.

I would like some feedback on how everything is looking so far. Obviously everything is unpainted and undyed.

Missing:
Cape/cloak
Vibroblade on right gaunt
Additional armor layer on left gaunt/shoulder plate
Correct boots/spats
Correct gloves/forearm wraps
Actual strapping on thigh/shin plates, left gaunt
Helmet has no earcaps/viewfinder installed yet

Needs adjustment/spacing:
Posture is terrible
Pouches are misaligned and lacking an accent plate
Girth belt isn't at correct height
Neckplate is pulled back too far, will be flatter in final
Chest diamond missing, chest plates need better alignment

Things I learned:
Suiting up is HARD solo.
Need to suit up from feet upwards.
I am going to NEED suspenders probably lol. There is a lot of weight on the pants, maybe this will change after strapping.
There is surprisingly little freedom of movement.
It is a sweat factory. Buckets off to all you brave troopers enduring the elements!

Criticism is much appreciated.

« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2017, 10:40 AM by Hiryu02 » Logged

OM#2184

Fenris Claddanna

• Chaotic Fun
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #22 on: Aug 15, 2017, 09:48 AM »
So far, it's looking good. You do  have some spacing issues that I'd like to point out, though. Your collar is making a weird triangle shape between it and your chest plates, so you may need to do a little trimming to even out that gap. You also have some uneven spacing between your ab plate and your chest plates, with the gap on the left(camera right) being significantly larger than the gap on the right(camera left). Your gaps between your chest plates are off as well, with the top being narrower than the bottom. It's probably just a crooked plate, which once it's fixed, will correct at least the last two gap issues.

Your shin plates either need to come down further, or need to be trimmed down, as the knees are sitting on top and overlapping them. Unless, of course, you're planning on doing schnees, at which point I'd suggest beefing up the connection between them, as right now they just look like knees overlapping shin plates. I'd also suggest adding boot plates, as t me, it looks like something is missing, and I think the addition of boot plates would fix that.

Aside from those things, it's looking good, vod. Well done.

Oyacyir mav, ash'amur pirusti

OM#1624
Kyrimorut#021:KMB# 32:B.E.A.R.D.S#128:W.B. #08:MTS#082:M.M.R.S#017

Hiryu02

« Reply #23 on: Aug 15, 2017, 10:40 AM »
So far, it's looking good. You do  have some spacing issues that I'd like to point out, though. Your collar is making a weird triangle shape between it and your chest plates, so you may need to do a little trimming to even out that gap. You also have some uneven spacing between your ab plate and your chest plates, with the gap on the left(camera right) being significantly larger than the gap on the right(camera left). Your gaps between your chest plates are off as well, with the top being narrower than the bottom. It's probably just a crooked plate, which once it's fixed, will correct at least the last two gap issues.

Your shin plates either need to come down further, or need to be trimmed down, as the knees are sitting on top and overlapping them. Unless, of course, you're planning on doing schnees, at which point I'd suggest beefing up the connection between them, as right now they just look like knees overlapping shin plates. I'd also suggest adding boot plates, as t me, it looks like something is missing, and I think the addition of boot plates would fix that.

Aside from those things, it's looking good, vod. Well done.

Thank you, sir. I do have fixes planned for the listed issues:

Collar plate is actually pulled back too tight, causing the raise at the bottom. Correcting this with some velcro to have it lay flat and space out properly.

Ab/chest plate spacing, and chest plate spacing in general is crooked plates. I have them on with velcro/chicago screws so a little repositioning should fix the spacing. My friend didn't know to tell me the spacing was wrong, should be fixed by the time I do app pics.

The shin plates are shknees. I will bondo the seam in front, and fiberglass the internal joint for strength. The shknees are still rough but will be cleaned up significantly.

I will have boot plates as well, buying a new set of boots for this, as the first pair I got ended up as work boots lol.

I thank you very much for the feedback and criticism.

OM#2184

Zarya Arthos

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #24 on: Aug 15, 2017, 07:04 PM »
Ha! Yes, suit up feet first!

Your left gauntlet looks much longer than the right, though you might still be tweaking them. It's mostly spacing issues, which is kind of the biggest pain to get "just right". Plates look to be the right size on you, so you're coming along fine.

I think your posture is ok, just let your arms hang by your side next time.

Looking for mirrored visors? Click Here!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!