Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First attempt at building a helmet ( UPDATES in the first post) and a question?

• 34 Replies
First coat of primer, and first base coat. Waiting for the base coat to thoroughly dry before I lightly 400 grit, then 600 grit sanding. Then second coat of black before starting colours and weathering.

The front cheek areas, and part of the back rim still seem a little flexible to me. Is it possible to resin the inside of the bucket for strength, and is it required?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings!  I have been lurking on these forums for quite some time, quietly reading, and researching as much info as I could. I feel like I am finally ready to start the first piece of my kit...The Helmet.  I have done some model building before, but this will be my first costume building experience.

I started with a hard hat I found that had a nice ridge detail to it.

Cut the rim off of it.

Used the WOF templates to size out my inner.

When I was fairly satisfied with the look of it, I layed it out on Sintra.

Then I played around with the front outer layer...still not 100% on the T slot layout yet.

And that's how far I have gotten today. School for the week, and then hopefully some more time to work on it next weekend.

Comments and advise gladly accepted. ;D

Got some time to myself last night, and managed to get some more work done.  Like many others, the cheeks are a particular pain, but I am still working on them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  ;)

It was a lot of work, a lot of trial and error, and one blistered thumb, but the cheeks are finally in. Now I just need to fill with sculpy and sand, and sand, and sand.    :D

Got some more work done, unfortunately I forgot to take photos of building the base ear caps....

Key slot added

Details of the ear cap

Now comes the filler primer, and bondo , sand, drink, repeat.

Filler primer done, sanded with 400 and 800 grit, glazing putty to fill in the areas that need work, repeat sanding. Still a few areas to go over with a second run of putty, then sand again.

New photos with some close ups of the comms and ear caps. I have a few more greeblies to add, then I THINK I am ready for primer, then 600 grit sanding, then paint.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 04:22 PM by Freak Show » Logged

DocNightshade

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din...
Re: First attempt at building a helmet
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2016, 10:59 PM »
Good solid start, vod. That hard hat was a great find. That top detail is nice, especially since you don't have to do anything to make it.
I like the shapes you're playing around with in the visor. Keeps the Mando look intact...

I'm just your average everyday freak-at-heart trying to adjust to modern suburbia and family life without eating the children or going on a killing spree down at the local shopping center. Again.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2016, 11:40 PM »
Good start, it'll look right menacing when you're done!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Malek Dair

• Ratiin ba'balut oya!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2016, 10:43 AM »
Looks like a solid start. I used a similar hard hat with the same ridge in my buy'ce!

Following this with interest!

Oya vod!

Armour Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=94290.0

Helmet Thread (COMPLETED): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=95445.0

Soft Parts: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=107583.0

Gauntlets: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=114126.0

Education and armor, self defense, our tribe, our language and Our Leader All help us Survive

M.V.S. #29
B.O.M.B. #65
B.o.B.B. #009

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2016, 01:27 PM »
I love it so far vod.  Very cool hard hat design.  I definitely love the t-visor design!!!!

« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2016, 08:15 PM »
Thanks for the kind words!   The Sintra inner layer is on and glued in place. I am hoping to get the screws that were holding it on out, and the second layered screwed in, and glued this weekend. Then to decide on, and cut out the T slot ( minus a brace at the bottom) and the cheeks.

« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2016, 08:23 AM by Freak Show » Logged
Re: First attempt at building a helmet (UPDATED)
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2016, 09:57 AM »
Added new pics to the first post, to show my progress.

NegativeEleven

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2016, 04:39 PM »
That is a very cool looking hardhat you found there. I'm not ashamed to say I have exited the interstate, got back on to go back 2 miles, and turned around to grab a hardhat I saw in the emergency lane at 3am. That's pretty much the process I used to build 4 mando helmets and I am starting a 5th this week. You're off to a great start.

MMCC - #1151 "El Evan" Modern Era
             - MVS #61
501st Legion
   - TB-11110 Biker Scout
   - BH-11110 RotJ Boba Fett
The Finest (G.I.Joe Costume Club)
   - Viper
   - Copperhead
   - Lamprey
   - Destro

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2016, 04:44 PM »
That is a very cool looking hardhat you found there. I'm not ashamed to say I have exited the interstate, got back on to go back 2 miles, and turned around to grab a hardhat I saw in the emergency lane at 3am. That's pretty much the process I used to build 4 mando helmets and I am starting a 5th this week. You're off to a great start.
Lol you great big nerd you! Lol jk Vod free is a great price lol

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
Re: First attempt at building a helmet (UPDATED) (AGAIN)
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2016, 08:27 PM »
Added new pictures to the original post. Got the cheeks in place.

NegativeEleven

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: First attempt at building a helmet (UPDATED) (AGAIN)
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2016, 08:55 PM »
Nice job making those fit. I usually take a shortcut and just layer sintra under the T-section then smooth it out. I've done that on 2 helmets. My ex-girlfriend's helmet had wire mesh in the upper cheeks backed with fabric mesh, because that was easy to fit by hand without having to cut it out perfectly and heat the exact curve. Laziness leads to innovation!

MMCC - #1151 "El Evan" Modern Era
             - MVS #61
501st Legion
   - TB-11110 Biker Scout
   - BH-11110 RotJ Boba Fett
The Finest (G.I.Joe Costume Club)
   - Viper
   - Copperhead
   - Lamprey
   - Destro
Re: First attempt at building a helmet (UPDATED) (NEW PHOTOS ADDED)
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2016, 01:05 PM »
Added photos of my progress to the original post!

Any comments or advise, gladly appreciated.  :D

primer and putty and sanding, oh my!  New pics added to first post

That looks fantastic, Vod! Can't wait to see the result.

MIRAGE

Great job can't wait to see it painted

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Wow!!!  That looks fantastic vod!  Love everything about it.  8)

Malek Dair

• Ratiin ba'balut oya!
This buy'ce has a great profile. The angular plates and details give a very cool overall look to the piece.

Looking forward to more progress! keep it up vod!

Helmet Thread (COMPLETED): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=95445.0

Education and armor, self defense, our tribe, our language and Our Leader All help us Survive

M.V.S. #29
B.O.M.B. #65
B.o.B.B. #009
Thanks for all the comments guys...got kind of bogged down with getting ready for exams. I have some time off between semesters so I am hoping to have some updated photos to add soon.

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
Very clean work, I'm thoroughly impressed! Can't wait to see your full build!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.
Re: First attempt at building a helmet (UPDATES in the first post)
« Reply #20 on: Apr 27, 2016, 08:47 PM »
Small update, but new pictures at the bottom of the first post!

As always comments and critiques always welcomed.

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #21 on: Apr 27, 2016, 11:19 PM »
Seriously, someone went to the raestin ke varek school of scratchbuilding!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Malek Dair

• Ratiin ba'balut oya!
« Reply #22 on: Apr 28, 2016, 08:30 AM »
Nice progress. You're getting there vod! Keep it up!

Oya!

M.V.S. #29
B.O.M.B. #65
B.o.B.B. #009

Raestin Ke'Varek

« Reply #23 on: Apr 28, 2016, 09:10 AM »
Seriously, someone went to the raestin ke varek school of scratchbuilding!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

@ Freak Show
Seriously vod, that's some amazing work!!  Love the updated pics.  I have a feeling you're gonna be asked to cast this helmet... ;)

« Reply #24 on: Apr 28, 2016, 02:12 PM »
Wow,

Thanks for the great complement Kal Vardas! And the kind words form everyone else.

I am pleased with the way it is turning out. I have never cast anything before... but would love to learn. I don't think I will experiment with my first helmet as my first casting attempt though. :D

I snuck in a picture with my interpretation of my EE-3, and the first stage of my gauntlet. I should start an armor planning thread, but really, I  create as I go. Which also explains a complete lack of build photos for the blaster.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!