Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Legacy Helmet WIP

• 24 Replies
Legacy Helmet WIP
« on: Jan 28, 2016, 10:53 AM »
*Most Recent Update Pic*

I've been following the guide by Ori Cabur, here http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=34853.0

This is what it looks like so far, I still have a bit more sanding to do, and I'm waiting on some Etch primer and Rub'n'Buff

I decided to open up the T-Visor a bit more a give it some curves, let me know what you think and whether or not suitable enough for a modern era helmet - and if not what modifications do I need to make.

More Pictures
http://imgur.com/a/qBcbf

Also I would like to coat the inside of the helmet of something to make it look a little cleaner, but have no idea what I want to actually use, any suggestions?

« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2016, 01:07 PM by Techxorcist » Logged

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: My First Bucket - A scratch build
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2016, 04:04 PM »
That's a legacy(modern era) helmet design right there. Great progress so far Vod.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Helix

« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2016, 03:00 PM »
You could buy some smooth cast resin and rotocast one or two coat inside the helmet, it will look cleaner as you want it.

Great work Vod!

My sales thread : Helix's lair

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2016, 04:40 PM »
You could buy some smooth cast resin and rotocast one or two coat inside the helmet, it will look cleaner as you want it.

Great work Vod!
I know a place cheaper than Smoothon for resin. Enough for one helmet for $20 plus shipping. More than enough to slush a couple layers in a helmet like this.

QMU#084
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2016, 06:18 PM »

Great work Vod!

Thats not a bad idea. I might also put a couple layers of fibreglass mats too. My bucket slipped off my workbench and sustained a few cracks (which I've managed to patch up) but I think it's still lacking in structural rigidity.

Also I have a question, Is a Rangefinder essential, because my kit is going to be for an Engineer, and I'm thinking a couple side mounted torches may be more useful than a rangefinder. Basically, will it affect my chances of the kit being approved.

Something like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181895813555 with the batteries wired up and secured with velco to the inside of the helm.

Bowfanny

« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2016, 07:36 PM »
Rangefinders aren't essential. Do your thing Vod!

QMU#084
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2016, 09:45 AM »
Rangefinders aren't essential. Do your thing Vod!

Awesome, thats what I thought, just wanted to make sure before I did something that would difficult to fix down the line.

Bowfanny

« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2016, 12:05 PM »
Awesome, thats what I thought, just wanted to make sure before I did something that would difficult to fix down the line.
Nah you're good to go!

QMU#084
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2016, 07:09 PM »
Some more progress, two coats of primer down, who knows how many more to go.

« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2016, 07:16 PM by Techxorcist » Logged

Bowfanny

Re: Legacy Helmet WIP
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2016, 07:11 PM »
Before I go and start saying a bunch of stuff I have a couple questions,
Is your Mando all blown to heck with battle damage, or is your helmet going to be some family heirloom that's been passed down for generations?

QMU#084
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2016, 10:33 AM »
Before I go and start saying a bunch of stuff I have a couple questions,
Is your Mando all blown to heck with battle damage, or is your helmet going to be some family heirloom that's been passed down for generations?

I was planning on weathering it quite heavily.

The finish on the helmet after using body filler wasn't quite as smooth as I had hoped, but I thought I would use that to my advantage, so the parts where you can clearly see grooves, I'm going to sand the black layer off revealing the silver below, as if it's been hit some flying shrapnel or something, causing fairly big dents.

If it doesn't turn out looking very good after the weathering, I've started my kit very early so I've got plenty of time to redo things if needed.

Bowfanny

« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2016, 01:38 PM »
I was planning on weathering it quite heavily.

The finish on the helmet after using body filler wasn't quite as smooth as I had hoped, but I thought I would use that to my advantage, so the parts where you can clearly see grooves, I'm going to sand the black layer off revealing the silver below, as if it's been hit some flying shrapnel or something, causing fairly big dents.

If it doesn't turn out looking very good after the weathering, I've started my kit very early so I've got plenty of time to redo things if needed.
Good to know. Yeah the bondo sanding stages are a pain in the Shebs, but if you're going to look like you jumped out of a cargo hatch and hit a couple dozen branches on a tree with your helmet on a downward descent then having a helmet like that is kewl, can't wait to see how it turns out. Painting is a joy and a pain!

QMU#084
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2016, 11:18 AM »
Visor in, not yet secured, figured I'd wait until the weathering is done.

Bowfanny

« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2016, 12:01 PM »
Nice visor! Good color!

QMU#084
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2016, 05:13 PM »
Can't wait to see some weathering on this bucket.  :)

« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2016, 11:49 AM »
Accent colour done, which means the next stage is weathering :D

« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2016, 09:17 AM »
Weathering complete. Pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Arno Kal-Torra

• If your good at something, Never do it for free.
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2016, 01:56 PM »
Awesome!! You may consider doing a brown/black wash to darken the green a bit and have it match the weathering a bit more but looks great!!!

Bowfanny

« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2016, 02:46 PM »
Maybe greeblie the earcap areas so they aren't so very empty looking. Not required but they seem like they're missing something since you added the round tops and all already.

QMU#084

Arno Kal-Torra

• If your good at something, Never do it for free.
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2016, 03:20 PM »
Maybe greeblie the earcap areas so they aren't so very empty looking. Not required but they seem like they're missing something since you added the round tops and all already.

I have to agree unless you're planning on doing a very streamline kit where you wouldn't want any unnecessary extrusions:)

« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2016, 07:44 PM »
I am going to be adding a couple side mounted Lights. I've taken a couple 'Blocklite' torches and wrapped them in Foamboard ready to paint. They usually snap straight onto 9V batteries, but instead i'm going to wire the batteries up and mount them to the inside.

I'll get them on, paint and weather them, then go from there, and see if it needs a couple greeblies or something.

« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2016, 12:55 PM »
Update time. I've installed the helmet-mounted spotlights, and am pretty pleased with how they turned out.

I'm still working on arranging the wiring, batteries and padding on the inside though, don't think I'm going to have any room for a fan though.
Would it be a bad idea to have a pipe running from a fan pack mounted to my back plate to provide fresh air and prevent the visor from fogging up.

I've actually realised I can just run both lights and the fan off one 9V battery, meaning I have plenty of space for everything to fit in, it also means the lights aren't as blinding.

The ear caps probably could do with something extra to fill the space, but I'm not really sure what. What do you think?

Sorry for the terrible pictures, the lighting in my room is not the best.

« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2016, 03:27 PM by Techxorcist » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!