Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Second Kit aka rebuild due to weight loss Bofanny's Modern WIP

• 64 Replies

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Hello all,
Bowfanny here, figured it would be appropriate if I started a new WIP thread to document my rebuild since I've lost nearly 40 pounds since September (goal is 65 pounds) however since I've dropped such an amount of weight I sold my previous kit to another Vode so that he could utilize my former shape. I am actually building two kits currently one modern and one modern legacy. This will be my build thread for my standard modern plates as well I've got a lovely strapping guide over in the legacy section that I started last year or the year before that my legacy kit is being worked on in. At any rate, no pictures as of yet. I am a large template per previous attempts at modern plates(signature line has my goodies from before) and with the new kit comes new ideas. I'll be doing trauma plates on my regular plates and hopefully they will look as nice as Raestin's kit is looking ;D

Nice thing about having all the experience wih building several kits in the past is that I should be able to knock out majority of the hard parts quickly enough to spin noggins while building a second set for a Vode. I am a fairly skilled seamster and have many a vests and other soft parts under my belts as well as a new surprise when it comes to my boots. Stay tuned for updates and remind me to post progress as I have gotten lazy and don't post much except in the helmets section. ;D happy building and thanks for looking!

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Second Kit aka rebuild due to weight loss Bofanny's Modern WIP
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2016, 03:32 PM »
Can't wait to see this!!  And big congrats on the new bod.  :)

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2016, 09:42 PM »
I'm watching!  :D

Rob

Alorad of BVC (now House): 2007-2013
Alor of MMCC: 2013-2023
Counselor to Mandalore: 2024
Retired from MMCC: 02/10/24

"17 years...it was good, while it lasted."

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
QMU#084

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2016, 11:27 PM »
Sign me up for updates! ;D

Congrats on the weight loss, too. Not a bad reason to have to build a new kit :P

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Bowfanny

« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2016, 05:41 PM »
Sign me up for updates! ;D

Congrats on the weight loss, too. Not a bad reason to have to build a new kit :P
Right! My weight loss isn't quite done, I'm only about half way done. I'm excited to get things back up and running.

QMU#084

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2016, 09:54 PM »
This is great news, vod.  I'll be eagerly watching your build!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Bowfanny

« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2016, 03:02 AM »
One of my clan mates gifted me some scrap Sintra that will become trauma plating on my kit. I'll be attempting some new things for me. I will however be considering buying my knees since I've had metal ones in the past and loved the sound they make when taking a knee on concrete. At any rate the kit is in major planning mode as I received the magnets for my RF earcap so it will be detachable, they'll be countersunk into the helmet for the tightest fit on the earcap that the magnets can do. I'm even considering the Fett-tronics for this kit just to up the anté and give the kit that little bit more pizazz.  Still no pictures but there's loads of stuff going into the planning.

QMU#084

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2016, 03:08 AM »
Right! My weight loss isn't quite done, I'm only about half way done. I'm excited to get things back up and running.

I'm not sure if running was meant as an exercise pun but if so keep at it. I've been cutting weight as well.

Malek Dair

• Ratiin ba'balut oya!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2016, 09:46 AM »
Fantastic news vod! Looking forward to what you whip up.

Oya!

Armour Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=94290.0

Helmet Thread (COMPLETED): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=95445.0

Soft Parts: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=107583.0

Gauntlets: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=114126.0

Education and armor, self defense, our tribe, our language and Our Leader All help us Survive

M.V.S. #29
B.O.M.B. #65
B.o.B.B. #009

Bowfanny

« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2016, 01:30 PM »
I'm not sure if running was meant as an exercise pun but if so keep at it. I've been cutting weight as well.
You kidding! Me Run! Lol if anyone sees me running they have two options, keep up or move out of my way lol  I've got a very nice exercise routine worked into my job that consists of squats, lifting, 5+ miles of walking, gripped pushing, and side rotations!

I'm a custodian at an Elementry school! Lol lunch tables get picked up and cleaned under every day, they're the long ones too and there are 19 of them. Then sweeping and mopping, I'm getting back into the best shape of my life and lovin it!
And just to give you guys a hint of one of my new faces(there will be many for this kit)

Don't worry Rob there will be a scratch built buy'ce in my Arsenal of helmets for this kit. I'll likely be making at least three helmets for this kit alone so that I can be eccentric and change them out depending on the events. I have had quite some luck with my trade thread in the trading station so I have a couple to pick and choose from for new projects!

QMU#084

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2016, 02:17 PM »
Lol...I was wondering if you had lost your scratchbuilding touch, Bow!  :laugh:

Rob

Bowfanny

« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2016, 02:56 PM »
Lol...I was wondering if you had lost your scratchbuilding touch, Bow!  :laugh:

Rob
No sir it's just not been advertised because I do a few commissions and let the people share the progress themselves :D

QMU#084

Bowfanny

« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2016, 04:04 AM »
Just gonna drop these here...

Now these are mainly just ideas at this point they're subject to change depending on my thoughts as I go. Base plates are ABS, trauma plates are Sintra I have enough Sintra I might change out my ABS plates but I'm not entirely sure I'll do that. Once I get the basic idea all worked out I'll be forming everything and sanding my edges and installing my maginets. Thoughts!? Ideas? Questions, comments or complaints!?

QMU#084

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2016, 11:53 AM »
Looks tantalizing to me, so far!  8)

Rob

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2016, 01:59 PM »
Glad I found this early on! Looks like this will be equally interesting/entertaining. Rob I'm looking at you  :P

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Bowfanny

« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2016, 03:14 PM »
Glad I found this early on! Looks like this will be equally interesting/entertaining. Rob I'm looking at you  :P
Lol welcome to the foray! Lol I'm kicking things together at my pace. Most of the torso has been cut and trauma plates designed for each plate. Back plate just got the ideas and mods to accommodate said ideas.

QMU#084

Bowfanny

« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2016, 01:14 AM »
Naughty Bowfanny posting two times. But this time with an actual update with pictures and everything!

So I got the chest plates shaped quite a bit to hug the curve of me as much as possible. I'm not going to attach the trauma plates until my vest attachment is done since I intend to countersink some 1/2inch magnets into the bottom of the plates and have another piece of thin plastic to cover the hole on the bottom and the trauma plates to hide it on the top. It'll basically be a little plastic sandwich.

I might still change some things up but overall I'm pretty satisfied with results thus far. Back plate is being worked out, I'm not sure it's going to pass my desired look or if I'm going to need to rework things. I'm glad I have enough supplies to do a couple practice pieces. I'm happy to say the Sintra I was given by a clanmate has increased my overall experience with the material and I am willing to tinker with it more now than this time last year when my original Fett plates started snapping. I'll be adding hand plates and bicep plates this time around as well as a couple more items that I've yet to decide shape wise and fit. Thanks for looking guys!

QMU#084

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2016, 09:41 AM »
Ooooh...layery plate goodness abounds!  :P

Rob

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2016, 09:52 AM »
I'm definitely a fan of layered trauma plating. Looking great so far ner'vod!   8)

Malek Dair

• Ratiin ba'balut oya!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2016, 10:22 AM »
Nothing says bad shebs like Trauma plates!  ;D

Armour Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=94290.0

Helmet Thread (COMPLETED): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=95445.0

Soft Parts: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=107583.0

Gauntlets: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=114126.0

Education and armor, self defense, our tribe, our language and Our Leader All help us Survive

M.V.S. #29
B.O.M.B. #65
B.o.B.B. #009

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2016, 10:36 AM »
Well you know I'm a sucker for layers!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Bowfanny

« Reply #22 on: Feb 08, 2016, 12:45 PM »
I really want to get my paint started but There are many steps in this build that I am happy to check off as I move along the journey, my goal is to have this kit done before the annual Autism walk in May. At the rate I am going I might make that goal. Also my current Ruus'Alor was kind enough to gift me some Trooper Jasher legacy plates that need re-strapped that are 22ga steel so I'll be updating my strapping thread in the legacy section in the next couple weeks, but first I'd better order my 1/8 inch Chicago screws so that I can do the random things I do!

QMU#084

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2016, 08:02 PM »
Sweet, vod.  Keep it coming.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Bowfanny

« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2016, 08:05 PM »
Sweet, vod.  Keep it coming.
Due to my OCD and bouncing things off the app team guys I know I'll be redoing the Trauma plates to be symmetrical. Not a setback as I noticed it before I finished it. It was good practice! The new plates will be the same shape as these ones except they will actually be lined up properly and be even!

QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!