Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP for first build

• 25 Replies

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
WIP for first build
« on: Feb 06, 2016, 12:31 AM »
Hello everyone!  I have just started my build, and I am empty handed thus far.  I have a thousand ideas, but I know it will be good to get them in here for approvals.  I did pickup one of the smaller Boba Style helmets, and it should be here next week.

I have chosen a color scheme, with pearl (off) white and khaki being the big stuff.  The rest are browns (boots, belts, pouches), dark reds and plums (accents), with some heavy rust and damage in my weathering.  I live in FL and need to keep it cool - being a Jawa has taught me some lessons and I still have yet to troop in the summer.  The Boba style helmet should allow plenty of room for fans, which ended up being why I purchased this style vs the Nite Owl.  It will have to be my next build.

I do have a design in my head, that is becoming in MS Paint.  I want the design out on "paper" so that I can make sure I'm not copying other ladies.

One of the things that I haven't been able to pin down firmly is the boots style.  I want coffee brown, but what is the requirement?  I read over the big fem-mando post, but Ver'ta didn't mention.  I'm hoping for the comfortable style - http://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Womens-Captiva-Launch-Waterproof/dp/B00HF64EH2/ref=cts_sh_1_fbt

Anyways, thank you for taking the time to read over my ramblings!

Steph - DZ-16667, Jawa of the Empire's 501st.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: WIP for first build
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2016, 01:06 AM »
I don't see why those boots wouldn't work.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2016, 02:36 AM »
I like those boots! Very fancy :) just be wary with the boba size helmets; if you're on the shorter side, that helmet may be too big. If that's the case, then you might need to add some bulk to your shoulders to compensate for that. I'm looking forward to seeing more from you

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2016, 09:27 AM »
Thank you both very much!  The helmet should be perfect for us slightly shorter ladies; I went with my gut and got one of the Bobble-Head free from ForgeProps.

But, knowing the shoulders can be made bigger is very good to info.

Do girls tend to choose waist wraps over kamas?

Steph

Kryamla Redalur

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2016, 10:30 AM »
Oh good! Glad to hear that it's a smaller one :) I personally have a waist sash and a kama so that's entirely up to you. Though it does seem most people have a girth belt or sash because it helps fill the space between the vest and lower half/cod plate. Hope that helps!

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2016, 11:05 AM »
Oh good! Glad to hear that it's a smaller one :) I personally have a waist sash and a kama so that's entirely up to you. Though it does seem most people have a girth belt or sash because it helps fill the space between the vest and lower half/cod plate. Hope that helps!

I found your pics and love how long your kama is!  In my opinion, it makes it a bit more girly but keeps to the mercenary feel.
How do keep all that white so pretty??

Thank you again for your time, I really do appreciate it!

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2016, 07:42 PM »
Oh thank you :) so far, none of it has gotten too dirty but just some soapy water will do the trick! Or if it's really bad, I imagine oxyclean will work! I've gotten blood out of my vest before with oxyclean lol

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2016, 08:08 PM »
I posted this question on the Ladies of the Legion facebook page, but I wanted to see if any of you here had any thoughts....

I picked up a caged corset from Charlotte Russe on sale - its the mesh style corset with minimal boning, http://www.charlotterusse.com/product/Caged-Corset-Top-with-Velvet-Trim/311497.uts

The breast cups are perfect size for me, and are lined.  I plan on picking up some resin from Michael's soon and trying out making at least the breast and possibly the stomach armor by coating both the front and the back side numerous times, like the pepakura technique.  I don't think it will require the fiberglass because of the existing structure, but that is wishful thinking for now.

I will test a different item with similar properties to see what happens before messing up the corset :D

Steph

Edit - I dont think the resin is epoxy, this stuff appears to dry faster.

http://www.amazon.com/Alumilite-Amazing-Casting-Resin-16-Ounce/dp/B0058V9KMK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1454807905&sr=8-2&keywords=polyurethane+resin

« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2016, 08:19 PM by ladydeth999 » Logged

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2016, 07:16 PM »
I wouldn't necessarily recommend that method, mostly because you'll have both a flightsuit and a vest on before you put your armor plates on. Something that fits you skintight won't fit after you add two layers of fairly thick cloth.

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2016, 11:22 PM »
I wouldn't necessarily recommend that method, mostly because you'll have both a flightsuit and a vest on before you put your armor plates on. Something that fits you skintight won't fit after you add two layers of fairly thick cloth.

I def agree!  I did get the XL and had it over my shirt and a super padded bra when fitting it.  It also has some padding that can be removed after it has a good top layer of resin to help it hold the shape.  I'm not expecting it to work flawlessly, but I feel its inexpensive enough to try.  I'll be taking lots of pics of all the parts before, during and after, just in case it works, and in the case that it doesn't, good proof of why not to do it.

:D

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2016, 06:31 AM »
Sounds like a plan.  :D

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Laaran Dala

• Though she be but little, she is fierce.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ clan level invasions 15+ invasions in 2018
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2016, 12:25 PM »
If I were you, I'd run your idea past the App Team before putting a lot of time/work/money into your idea, just to be safe. 

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2016, 01:44 PM »
Personally I'd cover the outside with masking tape (the silver sort) then resin and fibreglass. let it dry and then peel off the corset (resin does not stick to masking tape). Yes, you'll lose the extra support from the boning but that's substituted by using the 'glass. And the corset will be a re-useable template if you ever need to redo your plates.
However - as an experiment I'd be curious to see how well resin takes to fabric as it's something I've never tried. I'd definitely still use the 'glass though. Resin on it's own is very brittle.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2016, 05:39 PM »
Personally I'd cover the outside with masking tape (the silver sort) then resin and fibreglass. let it dry and then peel off the corset (resin does not stick to masking tape). Yes, you'll lose the extra support from the boning but that's substituted by using the 'glass. And the corset will be a re-useable template if you ever need to redo your plates.
However - as an experiment I'd be curious to see how well resin takes to fabric as it's something I've never tried. I'd definitely still use the 'glass though. Resin on it's own is very brittle.

Kris,

Should I get the fiberglass style resin instead of using the polyurethane style?  Is there something that I could instead of fiberglass with the poly?

Thank you all very much for the input - I will go put in a note to one of the application members and see what they say before I do anything.

Steph

« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2016, 07:36 PM by ladydeth999 » Logged

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2016, 08:32 PM »
I only ever use the 'glass resin and always with 'glass. First thing I made without 'glass didn't make it to a troop in one piece, since then I've always added the 'glass for strength.

Also, how are you planning to do the upper part of the chest? The chest plates will start a good two inches or so above the cups. The ab will be fine as that should end up sitting right under the underbust down to your navel. But you will need a base above the cups for the top of the chest plates, and above that for the collar plate. With the extra up top you'd need to add on somehow I would use it for a base to mold over, but not for actually making the plates from.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2016, 09:24 PM »

Also, how are you planning to do the upper part of the chest? The chest plates will start a good two inches or so above the cups. The ab will be fine as that should end up sitting right under the underbust down to your navel. But you will need a base above the cups for the top of the chest plates, and above that for the collar plate. With the extra up top you'd need to add on somehow I would use it for a base to mold over, but not for actually making the plates from.

I am thinking you are spot on about the above cups - but I have altered the armor generator image to look how I want

The corset is full coverage, but I think I might try playing with the duct tape idea and build up the upper area a bit.  I have a mask that is the same style structure as the corset, and I will get some duct/gorilla tape to see how the poly resin works. 

My reasons for wanting to use poly resin is I am Central FL, and the humidity makes drying times extra long.  And, my roommate has a 2 year old, so I am trying to stay away from the fine hairs and other things that might be dangerous for me to carry inside.  All of my sanding is limited to the uncovered outside backyard.

Thank you all so much, I really appreciate it!

Kris Jasra

« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2016, 09:32 PM »
Try not to leave too much open area between the plates - rule of thumb is often quoted - you want around half an inch to 1 inch max around the plates. I always advise starting planning from the collar down so that you don't put the chest plates too low. If you centre the chest plates on the breasts then you'll end up needing to extend the collar and the chest plates will be lower than normal, which will push the ab plate down and clutter up the waist as you try to fit everything into a smaller space.

I'd draw up some templates and just try them to fit (I use old newspaper and tape so it's no real cost apart from time) just to see how that design will look on you as the mando generator is no substitute for your own figure.

I'll have to let somebody else answer re resins, our weather here is good for nothing in the winter half and okay for 'glass and resin in the summer half...

« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2016, 09:38 PM by Kris Jasra » Logged

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2016, 11:27 PM »
I think Kris is probably right :D

I may still play with the corset out of sheer curiosity, but I dont think it can follow the armor lines without a ton of work.
I will start a paper kit, and see if I can still do the curves I'm aiming for.  Terraflex is supposed to curve really well, and I can make a form of myself with duct tape to form it on.  Tried and true methods are probably the easier way.  Does Terraflex need a coat of resin like Worbla?

Kris Jasra

« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2016, 06:07 AM »
Afraid I can't answer the material question again, but that new design I like.

Havelock

« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2016, 07:50 PM »
Afraid I can't answer the material question again, but that new design I like.

Ditto.  Sorry I can't give you a more constructive answer.

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2016, 11:38 PM »
Thank you both for your time!  I will get a paper template made up of what I'm looking to do, and get some pics taken.  I'll inquire about the Terraflex in the few weeks I know it will take to get the paper pattern.

I have been pestering Ms Misha on Facebook - she is somewhat close to me here in FL.

;D

Edit - adding a parts list for my own sanity, borrowed from Solus' build for his wife.

Helmet - ordered Forgeprop - smaller Boba Fett style, viewfinder?

Armor - Paper and tape; inquire and test Terraflex
Make gauntlets from PVC, acquire greeblies
neck, chest, cod/loincloth, back, shoulder, knee, diamond

Soft parts
Flight suit - Berne Poplin Short Sleeve coverall, Khaki, with Under armor - white long sleeve heat-gear
Neck - researching
Vest - researching
Boots - brown - bought
Gloves - brown finger-less leather to match boots
Sash/girth belt and longer styled Kama - do females lean more towards sash?

« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2016, 12:23 AM by ladydeth999 » Logged

Kris Jasra

« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2016, 07:19 AM »
I have a girth belt. I chose to use that because I modded the plate design a little so I've tried to keep everything else more traditional so I don't lose the Mando aesthetic. I do think it depends on the kit though, one of my friends who lives nearby has a thinner than standard girth belt that goes over a wider sash. I tend to leave making it till last - since I don't know exactly how many layers it will be sitting over and such, which means you can have a sit back and decide which you think will suit your kit more.

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2016, 08:00 AM »
I like the design on the right in the second mando maker picture :)

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

mishakitty

• Glitter'alor
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Special Operations Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2016, 09:56 PM »
Hello Love! I'm super sorry I didn't connect with you sooner. I was in birthday land  :laugh: and then had a 14 day stretch of work where I was pretty slammed. I'm here now though to help, although you've gotten tons of great responses!, and you can always PM me too.

Ok! I think your ideas with the corset will work. I will pm you - I have some friends who've done exactly what you're talking about with duct tape mannequins and I can put you in touch with them if you'd like. It sounds like you're right on track. I don't have much knowledge about the material, but you may be able to use the resin first and then bondo over for a nice smooth look.

Super proud of you for the part's list. I definitely recommend doing that to people so very smart! I like to do parts and then a "to do"list; you can use the little strike through option up top to mark things off as you go ;)

You'd asked about kama/sash. I wear a sash for my main kit, and my secondary warrior kit has a long unusually shaped kama along with a sash. It's a nice look to layer one over the other so you may think about doing it. I'm not sure if ladies prefer sashes but I know I dig them because, to me, they're more forgiving and can be moved around and such.

keep up the good work!

E.M.T.S. #1 ~ Founder ~ Glitter Faerie In Chief

Get Elegant: Join the Elegant Mando's Tea Society

Official Invasions: 67

Various upgrades and whatnot

Dral Kar'ta (Dar's GlitterHeart)

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #24 on: Feb 24, 2016, 11:05 PM »
I have a sash under my ammo belt/holsters and I love it. I would recommend one as well :)

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!