Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First bucket

• 39 Replies

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
First bucket
« on: Feb 17, 2016, 10:19 PM »
So, I was going to stick with an easy build on my bucket and just keep the build notes in my main WIP thread.  But, my bucket's keyholes are offset, and I think cutting them out and replacing with something interesting is the way to go, as suggested by Evaarla.

Also, if I'm going to spend the time on super custom, i want to stray from the normal Boba style bucket.

First off, I have a Forgeprops Bobble-head free bucket.  Other than the key holes being slightly off, it seems to be a pretty good form.  I have some bondo on now to smooth out the lumpy dome.

Before bondo:

Offset keys >.<

With first layer of bondo, and general idea of change to the T:

If I can get the dremel to cooperate, I will leave the diamonds.  If not, I will fill them also.

My concept with some really bad MS Paint, updates as I find something to replace the keyholes - maybe fill it in completely and do something girly.
The silvery face color will actually be a pearl, but otherwise this is what I am aiming for

I really want HEAVY damage to my bucket, so any input is greatly appreciated!  I will find the bucket that has caused me to stray a bit away from my 501st, so that everyone can understand my thoughts.

Thank you all very much!

Edited to add info on Visor area - Evaarla noted that the visor needs to be 75% exposed.   I bondo'd in the bottom two inches, which will leave 3.5 inches open.  It's 5.5 inches, not including the top of the T.  With the T, its just over 6 inches.

« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2016, 10:40 PM by ladydeth999 » Logged

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: First bucket
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2016, 11:45 PM »
Well just so you know the keyslots are actually canon being off center. Boba's are. Mod away if you want though.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2016, 11:58 PM »
Well just so you know the keyslots are actually canon being off center. Boba's are. Mod away if you want though.

Thank you!  I'll see how much a pain in the -censored- the front alteration is, and IF I can find an amazing piece to go back there.

Should I only use bondo for the front or hit it with resin also?

:D

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2016, 12:06 AM »
Thank you!  I'll see how much a pain in the shebs the front alteration is, and IF I can find an amazing piece to go back there.

Should I only use bondo for the front or hit it with resin also?

:D
if you can afford it you can use apoxie sculpt which allows about 45 minutes of work time and its sandable and you can use it in the house while watching tv. but if youre comfortable with bondo sure you can! as its already a cast helmet adding extra resin will only add weight to the whole thing. I actually had a Biker Dude say my helmet weighed a  lot compared to his hog helmet. My helmet weighs 3 to 4 pounds lol

QMU#084

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2016, 09:28 PM »
Bucket update!
Had an amazing day hanging out with Orlando and Tampa Merc!  Phil Juarez of Tampa helped me a ton on my bucket, and gave me much more needed info on how to go about smoothing it out.

I'll post more pics once I get the filler primer laid, and Phil thinks I'm smooth enough to keep going :D

Bowfanny

« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2016, 09:49 PM »
Bucket update!
Had an amazing day hanging out with Orlando and Tampa Merc!  Phil Juarez of Tampa helped me a ton on my bucket, and gave me much more needed info on how to go about smoothing it out.

I'll post more pics once I get the filler primer laid, and Phil thinks I'm smooth enough to keep going :D

Awesome Vod! Also love the  masquerade  Stormtrooper vinyl helmet in the background.

QMU#084

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2016, 11:14 PM »
Haha!  The little guy's mask is to test how that non-fiberglass epoxy works on cloth with a structure.  I was going to attempt coating a corset in it to make my armor.  After some discussion with others, I found it would most likely be very tedious and difficult,  and then possibly not heavy duty enough to withstand FL heat. 
I will instead be inquiring about Terraflex.  It's supposed to be hardier than Worbla and easier to handle than Sintra.

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2016, 06:03 PM »
Could I pester one or more of you to give my bucket a once over before I paint?  I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.  I also have my local Mandos helping out.

Thank you and let me know if more pics are needed.  Some of the pics might seem off because of bondo coloring, sanding, and/or lighting.

TorTracyn Dusat

• Pronounced: Tor-trah-sheen
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2016, 06:54 PM »
This is looking awesome! I love heavy damage and the colors, as well as the augmented t-visor. Looking great so far!

OM #1301  //   Cabur Akaata, a Society for current and former military #2  //  M.A.R.S. #25  //  V.O.T.S. #47  //  B.O.M.B #59  //  G.O.M.O.L #8  //  P.M.S. #4

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2016, 07:09 PM »
Thank you, Tor!  <3

TorTracyn Dusat

• Pronounced: Tor-trah-sheen
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2016, 10:01 PM »
I can't wait to have you out trooping with us. :)

OM #1301  //   Cabur Akaata, a Society for current and former military #2  //  M.A.R.S. #25  //  V.O.T.S. #47  //  B.O.M.B #59  //  G.O.M.O.L #8  //  P.M.S. #4

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2016, 04:12 AM »
I don't like that my left ear is a bit straighter across the bottom than the right, so I'll fix that.  Also, Kamino Outpost threw up a few pics of a helm that has killer diamonds.  This has me considering adding a bit of flair to my almost non-existent diamonds.

Sunday is going to be exciting! 

Lem'zig Dee

• WEAPON OF MASS PERCUSSION
  • Awards Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2016, 09:54 AM »
Looks like you are in good hands and well on your way!

IG  -  @suzylamoureuxdrums

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2016, 10:45 PM »
Some more pics for record keeping purposes!

Mar 13 progress - adjusted ear mounting and lower lines; initial base metallic bronze on inside and out.  My thoughts are to hit the outside with very light coat of metallic black and metallic silver for authentic metal damage.  Coat of khaki afterwards, and some type of design in a off-white pearl.  The inside will stay bronze with possible brown pearlized coat.  Then, weathering and damage.

http://imgur.com/a/ikLzm

I then harassed Sir Phil at Kamino Outpost for how to go about mounting the ears.  We both agree the ears are kinda thin, so I am going to sink in Chicago screws and glue them.  I hope to not have any screws showing but the possibility exists.

Phil and Michael can be found at https://www.facebook.com/Kaminooutpost/?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #15 on: Mar 20, 2016, 07:19 PM »
I took some pics of the process I'm working through on my ears - dremeled them out so I can set Chicago screws for mounting to helmet.  I feel like glue will not be enough.

Imgur album - http://imgur.com/a/NuojR

Steph

Bowfanny

« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2016, 08:32 PM »
Nice thought on that.

QMU#084

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #17 on: Mar 21, 2016, 08:39 AM »
Mr Phil Jaquez of Tampa did all the thinking on this one  :D
I did get some E6000 in the female sections - they are similar to rivets and have a hole on both sides.  But, I have a small bit that should be able to clear most without destroying the threads.

Bowfanny

« Reply #18 on: Mar 21, 2016, 09:53 AM »
You're using open faced Chicago screws lol my kits are put together that way.

QMU#084
« Reply #19 on: Mar 21, 2016, 10:22 AM »
I took some pics of the process I'm working through on my ears - dremeled them out so I can set Chicago screws for mounting to helmet.  I feel like glue will not be enough.

Imgur album - http://imgur.com/a/NuojR

Steph

That's exactly how I attached mine.  Works great.  Good job so far!

"Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #20 on: Mar 21, 2016, 04:02 PM »
I'll clear the female side when I get home and see how everything is measuring up.  Thank you for keeping an eye on me!

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #21 on: Mar 21, 2016, 10:53 PM »
The E6000 is not good for this application - and flat head screws are awful.  Mine are aluminum and stripped out really quick.  Phil said to hit Tandy leather for better, but still flat headed screws, and get some gorilla epoxy.  Patience is a virtue!

Fenrir Kyramud

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
« Reply #22 on: Mar 23, 2016, 03:22 PM »
I don't like that my left ear is a bit straighter across the bottom than the right, so I'll fix that.  Also, Kamino Outpost threw up a few pics of a helm that has killer diamonds.  This has me considering adding a bit of flair to my almost non-existent diamonds.

Sunday is going to be exciting!

Kamino Outpost? Is that run by Tom Vader? The bucket pictured is one of Tom's Juggernauts.

Cat# 1196
Iron Fang: #8
B.O.M.B.: #48.
V.O.T.S.: #43
Dog Lobster Supporter #46
G.O.M.O.L. #5

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #23 on: Mar 23, 2016, 03:42 PM »
I only know Phil of Kamino Outpost - this bucket was getting some repair work done when they posted it on their facebook page.  They are out of Tampa.

I ended up having to pull out the screws on my ears - they were aluminum from Ace Hardware and too soft.  Also, E6000 is too giving for my application, so I got some Gorilla Epoxy.

Also, the ears don't sit completely flush, so I'm heading over to Tampa this weekend to harass Phil in person :D  Time for more bondo.

ladydeth999

• Atin D'emon - 1713
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2016, 09:08 PM »
I have much progress on my bucket!  They should be in order, with the bottom being the most current.  My plan is offwhite/sand colors with some pearl/iridescent highlighting.

Base Black Metallic - wet sanded

Visor installation

After masking fluid and wet sanding

Initial coat of final color, heavy wet sanding to see damage

Light coat of final color with slight wet sanding

side view

It will get one more coat of the final top color, some of the pearl enhancements, and then more weathering!  The inside will be bronze metallic with some wet sanding to keep the glare down. 

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!