Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Finally, a WIP (pic heavy)-Approved!!

• 70 Replies

Malek Dair

• Ratiin ba'balut oya!
Re: Finally, a WIP (pic heavy)-shnee update
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2016, 09:53 AM »
Great work! Those shnees look rad!

Keep it up and you'll be OM in not time flat!

Oya!

Armour Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=94290.0

Helmet Thread (COMPLETED): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=95445.0

Soft Parts: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=107583.0

Gauntlets: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=114126.0

Education and armor, self defense, our tribe, our language and Our Leader All help us Survive

M.V.S. #29
B.O.M.B. #65
B.o.B.B. #009

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2016, 11:08 AM »
Nice to see some more progress.  Keep it up!
Thanks Havelock! Life has been getting in the way a little bit lately, but I have a goal in mind, and I feel like I'm getting close :)

I love those shnees! Are they riveted or Chicago screws?

Thanks! They came out better than I could have hoped :) They are Chicago screwed together, and will be bondoed over on the front to hide them.  I wanted to mimic the feel of my backplate, so it didn't feel incongruous; normal plates on the front and then wicked weird backplate. I am also doing a similar shoulder pattern as well

Great work! Those shnees look rad!

Keep it up and you'll be OM in not time flat!

Oya!

That's the idea! :) I'd like to be OM by the end of April :) Oya!!

I went to the paint store yesterday and picked up some chips to get an idea of my colour spectrum- and ended up with these :) can't wait to get painting! I have all the paint already , but it gives me an idea for the whole kit together :)

« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2016, 12:56 PM »
Those shnees are rad.  I was thinking the same thing, (as we talked about before), but I was thinking one solid piece. But I must admit, those you have create a strong argument for multiple pieces.

Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #156

"We don't have a word for hero. Being prepared to die for your family and friends, or what you hold dear, is a basic requirement for a Mando, so it's not worth a separate word. It's only cowards we had to find a special word for."
https://imgur.com/a/FlZWnVe

WIP
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=106123.msg1508559#msg1508559

Da'am Keldau

• "Shoot straight and run fast."
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2016, 01:29 PM »
Wow! Talk about initiative! Everything looks awesome!

« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2016, 04:07 PM »
I love those shnees! Are they riveted or Chicago screws?

They are fixed schnees, we agreed that while segmented moving k ees would be amazing, it seemed a little less Star Warsy. As such, being someone who does not like to rely solely on an adhesive, I installed some countersunk chicago screws through the layers. It will be glued as well with a very light layer of bondo to fill in the minute lines.

Edit: Apparently my phone does a bad job at seeing multiple pages of posts... your question was already answered.  :laugh:

« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2016, 04:21 PM by Tylek Ren » Logged
First Kit - Early Crusader - In Progress: Bondo Helmet, Page 4
Other First Kit - Modern - In Progress:
Hard Parts and Soft Parts updated 25/04/16

Draceline

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Special Weapons
« Reply #20 on: Mar 09, 2016, 08:03 PM »
Edit: Apparently my phone does a bad job at seeing multiple pages of posts... your question was already answered.  :laugh:

No problem at all. You gave more detail to the answer anyway, so I'm not objecting in the slightest. I like seeing how things are done. It gives me ideas.

"As Mandalorians, we don't need the Force.
But should you ever want it on your side, don't give it a choice:
Make the Force be with you."

Armor - Soft Parts - Buy'ce - Armory
MARS #47 | NOS #02 | LOB #18 | Draluram #8 | MAJIC #161

GardenGeek

« Reply #21 on: Mar 09, 2016, 09:38 PM »

Gosh Tylek- you're late to the party :p I'm really happy with how my kit has come out so far, in a huge part because of Tylek's hard work. He's been making all the crazy stuff that's coming into my head :)

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #22 on: Mar 15, 2016, 03:17 PM »
Also posting in here to get updates! :P

I really should have been on the look out for your WIP sooner, it's coming along great! I can see that this will be a quality kit!

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

GardenGeek

Re: Finally, a WIP (pic heavy)-helmet update :)
« Reply #23 on: Apr 07, 2016, 05:05 AM »
Feeling like I'm getting stuff accomplished :)

I finally sanded down my helmet from the coat of bondo...

And then took it to work and a friend fiberglassed the inside and then I primed it again :)

I got some sanded it again and threw on some hollow ear caps that I carved from some scrap 3mm sintra. I wanted to be able to have some extra ventilation and be able to hear a little better. So we drilled holes through the helmet and put the vented caps over top to hide them.

After tomorrow I'll have my plates on and update with those :) yayyyyy. Also tomorrow is repriming my helmet and earcaps and hopefully backplate as well. Progress!

Tenebris

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Finally, a WIP (pic heavy)-Helmet update
« Reply #24 on: Apr 08, 2016, 09:47 AM »
That backplate is lush, I really like the way you've taken the same shape through the shnees.

Gnar-Gnar

• Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #25 on: Apr 09, 2016, 12:50 AM »
following

GardenGeek

« Reply #26 on: Apr 11, 2016, 09:08 PM »
Looking for input for chest plates- I'm thinking about taking some off for the width of the chest plates, probably between 1/4 and 3/8ths. The plates are hanging a little off kilter till I epoxy in the Chicago screws- other than that- thoughts?!

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Finally, a WIP (pic heavy)-chest plates
« Reply #27 on: Apr 11, 2016, 10:29 PM »
Placement looks a little tight...but it should work.  So other than trimming, I think you're good.   :)

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

GardenGeek

« Reply #28 on: Apr 11, 2016, 11:06 PM »
If the placement looks tight- it's probably just the angle :) Plates are spaced to be 3/4 of an inch between collar plate and chest plates, just under half inch between the chest plates.

Luckily my thumb is 3/4" :) also- with sanding, the plates will appear to be a little more spaced. Ahhhhh....the joys of working with 6mm. *sigh*

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #29 on: Apr 11, 2016, 11:29 PM »
loving the progress.  can't wait to see it in a couple weeks

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!