Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Finally, a WIP (pic heavy)-Approved!!

• 70 Replies

Aria

• They told me to dress for the job I want...
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Most invasions trooped in 2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Weapons
Re: Finally, a WIP (pic heavy)-chest plates
« Reply #30 on: Apr 12, 2016, 12:20 AM »
Looks good. The plates probably look close since you're using thicker sintra then normal.

Also, I kinda liked the marbled look on your bucket before you primed it again.  ;)

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #31 on: Apr 12, 2016, 03:13 AM »
The upper portion of the diamond cutout looks a little wonky, but I think that may also be a viewing angle thing. I'd say everything is fine :)

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Gnar-Gnar

• Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #32 on: Apr 12, 2016, 03:13 AM »
you people and your angles...  :laugh:

Myra Tiin

• Outer Space Vandal
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2018 Celebration Chicago Mobile Engineers Brigade Member
« Reply #33 on: Apr 12, 2016, 03:51 AM »
In your first picture (when we see the full width of your plates) it looks like they are a bit too large. You can check this by moving your arms forward : if your plates bother you while doing this, you'll need to trim them.

Desert ops Brigades - WIP  - Pixel Mandos
 QMU #017 - KOVA #002 - EMTS #118

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #34 on: Apr 12, 2016, 02:46 PM »
Possibly too wide, or alternatively the one dart you have needs to be a little deeper and you may need a couple of smaller darts to spread the bend around the curve of your chest. Hard to tell from the front but one of the pics looks to be still sticking outwards rather than curving round the side of the breast.

You may also find you need to increase the size of the chest diamond space as with spacing it will be a rather small diamond at the moment - if you do I'd take it from the bottom of the gap to even up the surrounding bit of plates.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Aria

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Most invasions trooped in 2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Special Weapons
« Reply #35 on: Apr 12, 2016, 11:01 PM »
Possibly too wide, or alternatively the one dart you have needs to be a little deeper and you may need a couple of smaller darts to spread the bend around the curve of your chest. Hard to tell from the front but one of the pics looks to be still sticking outwards rather than curving round the side of the breast.

You may also find you need to increase the size of the chest diamond space as with spacing it will be a rather small diamond at the moment - if you do I'd take it from the bottom of the gap to even up the surrounding bit of plates.
Annndd....welcome to female armor making!  :P

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #36 on: Apr 12, 2016, 11:44 PM »

Im going to be cutting the diamond next- and the spot where it's going too- The current space was from the boba templates (I think)- but it's definitely too small. I wanted it to be lined up before really putting a lot of energy into it.

Here's from the side after I trimmed the edge- I think it curves around okay, and from the top it follows my curve exactly. Thoughts?

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #37 on: Apr 13, 2016, 11:04 AM »
Looks fine in close up. I'd personally only be trimming that any more than you have if you're catching you're arms on it.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

GardenGeek

« Reply #38 on: Apr 18, 2016, 11:18 AM »
Thanks for your help Kris :) I spent the weekend drilling, bondoing, and sanding. I feel like I could sleep for a week! I definitely got a lot done though, and can't wait for painting today :)

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #39 on: Apr 18, 2016, 11:35 AM »
Can't wait to see it next weekend

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

Vheh Zoller

• The One Armed Merc
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #40 on: Apr 18, 2016, 11:39 AM »
loooooooooooooove your shnees! i cant wait to see more

Vheh's Facebook   |    The One Armed Merc    |   JesCosplay

MMCC: #1080, M5 #37, EMTS #115,G.O.M.O.L # 007, P.M.S. #2, QMU#039, Kilted Mando Brigade Member #33

Kodaan Orion

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #41 on: Apr 23, 2016, 10:54 AM »
Looking great !! :D

mmcc #1418

Choruk Kar'ta

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2016, 03:45 PM »
this build is cool :D cant wait to see it all painted. the helmet really nice work. back plate and the shins those are soo coool :D
how did you bend the chest plates? thinking of going for the Mannequin method for my girlfriend.

Burc'ya vaal burk'yc, burc'ya veman

GardenGeek

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2016, 11:04 PM »
What a crazy couple of weeks!! Got my kit painted and wearable for the local con. This was the first day-

the second day I fixed my thigh plates, and my holster as well. I have weathering to do, but overall I am very very happy. I found it to be very comfortable and not nearly as warm as I thought it would be. I haven't got any pictures of the second day in kit with the fixed thighs.

this build is cool :D cant wait to see it all painted. the helmet really nice work. back plate and the shins those are soo coool :D
how did you bend the chest plates? thinking of going for the Mannequin method for my girlfriend.

Thanks vod! I cut the small size pattern out of paper and held it to my chest, and figured out where the dart should be. Then I cut the 6mm sintra using the pattern and shaped it on my chest while wearing my vest.  Kris Jasra at the beginning of this thread has some amazing advice too- I can't find it right now!

Aria

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2016, 11:22 PM »
Hm....that color looks vaguely familiar...  ;)

You mentioned you fixed your thighs and holster...cod plate looks a little crooked in the picture, but that's an easy thing to fix. Looks nice! I can't wait to see your weathering.  :)

The Aria Pics
He/Him

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!