Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Finally, a WIP (pic heavy)-Approved!!

• 70 Replies

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
Finally, a WIP (pic heavy)-Approved!!
« on: Feb 23, 2016, 03:10 AM »
After almost a year being on here finally I'm starting my WIP!  Started with my initial plan.

And then started my helmet :) it does fit, I made it a little longer than the templates dictate, but I'm very pleased how it's started out. It has a layer of bondo on now, but will be receiving a sand and some ear caps. I had a visor tinted at a local shop, and it turned out very well. I used plastiweld to start and was let down, it ended up being far harder than the plastic on the buckets.

And plates- I work at a sign shop so I have a supply of 6mm and 3 mm sintra. I'm planning on going heavy, so I also have thighs, boot, gauntlets, neck and shnees are in the works as well. 

And my sweet backplate made by a local Merc, Tylek Ren. He took my original plan and drafted it, and fit it to my back. Connection method is Chicago screws and webbing.

Any comments or critique are appreciated :) Looking forward to finally putting it all together and finishing this kit :)  all my soft parts are done-

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Finally, a WIP (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2016, 04:48 AM »
Concept looks cool!  It looks like you have a pretty good start on your helmet, all of the edges look really clean and nice.  Plates are looking good too!  It's a bit hard to tell because of the angle, but it looks like the lower tabs on your chest pieces may need to be bent in a little more.  And that backplate is amazing!  I can't wait to see how your kit turns out, everything looks really great so far :)

Instagram: @evaarla_kal

corriban

• Mercs War Correspondent
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2016, 08:09 AM »
Chest plates look a bit big on you all around--may need to trim off a little bit so it fits more snug. The back plate looks incredible! And great job on the helmet :)

Zasiya Adenn V2 | Dee Ca'tra
MERC #1078 | KOVA #0011 | M5 #42 | QMU #019 | ALLUMINATI #027 | PMS #003

GardenGeek

« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2016, 10:32 AM »
It's a bit hard to tell because of the angle, but it looks like the lower tabs on your chest pieces may need to be bent in a little more.
Thanks :) after we took this picture, I did bend in the fangs some more.

Chest plates look a bit big on you all around--may need to trim off a little bit so it fits more snug. The back plate looks incredible! And great job on the helmet :)

Thanks for the critique- I definitely will be trimming the chest plates down now, and rebending the top I think. I took about an inch off the bottom at the last AP. The ab plate does sit height wise where it's supposed to, but I might take a bit off the sides too so it matches.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2016, 04:41 PM »
I'm so excited to finally see a WIP from you.  Your kit is already looking amazing.  Great job, vod.  I can't wait to see the rest of it.  And on your design sketch, it looks like you're planning on double shoulders?  Looks great.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Malek Dair

• Ratiin ba'balut oya!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2016, 11:01 AM »
Solid looking concept. I am really looking forward to seeing everything come to life, especially the buy'ce! Great job, keep it up vod!

Oya!

Armour Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=94290.0

Helmet Thread (COMPLETED): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=95445.0

Soft Parts: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=107583.0

Gauntlets: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=114126.0

Education and armor, self defense, our tribe, our language and Our Leader All help us Survive

M.V.S. #29
B.O.M.B. #65
B.o.B.B. #009

mishakitty

• Glitter'alor
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Special Operations Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2016, 10:03 PM »
Once you get your soft parts on, you'll be able to see what needs to be trimmed a bit better :) I'd say if you can go ahead and get those done, that will definitely help with the plating arrangement.

Looking good! i REALLY love the back plate!

E.M.T.S. #1 ~ Founder ~ Glitter Faerie In Chief

Get Elegant: Join the Elegant Mando's Tea Society

Official Invasions: 67

Various upgrades and whatnot

Dral Kar'ta (Dar's GlitterHeart)

GardenGeek

« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2016, 12:56 AM »
I'm so excited to finally see a WIP from you.  Your kit is already looking amazing.  Great job, vod.  I can't wait to see the rest of it.  And on your design sketch, it looks like you're planning on double shoulders?  Looks great.

I'm always seeing your progress on your WIP Havelock- it's definitely inspiring me to get my shebs in gear.  Yes I am planning double shoulders, but painted different colours for interest.

Once you get your soft parts on, you'll be able to see what needs to be trimmed a bit better :) I'd say if you can go ahead and get those done, that will definitely help with the plating arrangement.

Looking good! i REALLY love the back plate!
I'm actually wearing my vest in the picture of my plates :p the bottom of the ab plate is just above my navel, and the collar plate is high enough to almost choke me. The chest plates let me move my arms together without them getting all weird. Somehow though, they still just feels too big.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2016, 03:27 PM »
I think the problem is the width in the bottom half, actually.  Ladies are shaped differently than menfolk (obviously :P ) and it does mean that sometimes our plates need a bit of extra modification.

I think if you angle the outside of the chestplate fangs in more and (maybe) cut a bit more of the height off the belly plate, it will help a lot. Looking at your sketch, it has the plates angling in under the chest, whereas your current plates are mostly straight all the way down. ;)

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2016, 04:15 PM »
I'd take the height from the chest plates myself. They look to have been stretched out a bit to fit over the breast fully. This seems to be a common change as it seems to be expected that the breast sits directly under the breast plate, which it actually doesn't if one keeps to the standard proportions. This leaves the ab plate sitting much lower than normal and you end up with girth, belt and cod all squished into a tiny space. The bottom of the centre of my breastplates (not the tabs which do extend further) are actually about in line with the centre of my breast and the top of my ab is overlapping the bottom edge of my breasts.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

GardenGeek

« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2016, 02:09 AM »
I'd take the height from the chest plates myself. They look to have been stretched out a bit to fit over the breast fully. This seems to be a common change as it seems to be expected that the breast sits directly under the breast plate, which it actually doesn't if one keeps to the standard proportions. This leaves the ab plate sitting much lower than normal and you end up with girth, belt and cod all squished into a tiny space. The bottom of the centre of my breastplates (not the tabs which do extend further) are actually about in line with the centre of my breast and the top of my ab is overlapping the bottom edge of my breasts.

Thanks Kris! I will definitely be keeping that in mind. Im worried that if I take off too much length, the ab plate will have to be moved up as well to keep spacing- and then I'll end up with the bottom of the ab plate far above my navel. Honestly considering just remaking my chest plates. I have no shortage of 6mm sintra.

Ty'renn Argos

• "I'd sell my mother to the Jawas for a good hunt."
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2016, 06:13 AM »
Good work!
I'm loving your back plates!! :D

Keep it up!

Ni cuy' gar vod jii.

GardenGeek

« Reply #12 on: Feb 29, 2016, 11:42 AM »
Recut my chest plates yesterday at the AP- I'm going to reshape them over the next few days- definitely more androgynous then last time. Im hoping to get all my plates attached to my vest this week as well. Also picked up some acrylic washes too :) Pics to follow :)

I still haven't got my chest plates- but designed some shnees and Tylek helped (read- made) them for me :)  this was our table mess at the sign shop where I work/where we hold our APs :)

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Finally, a WIP (pic heavy)-shnee update
« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2016, 01:02 AM »
Nice to see some more progress.  Keep it up!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Draceline

• Angel of War
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Special Weapons
« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2016, 04:27 AM »
I love those shnees! Are they riveted or Chicago screws?

"As Mandalorians, we don't need the Force.
But should you ever want it on your side, don't give it a choice:
Make the Force be with you."

Armor - Soft Parts - Buy'ce - Armory
MARS #47 | NOS #02 | LOB #18 | Draluram #8 | MAJIC #161

Malek Dair

• Ratiin ba'balut oya!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2016, 09:53 AM »
Great work! Those shnees look rad!

Keep it up and you'll be OM in not time flat!

Oya!

Armour Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=94290.0

Helmet Thread (COMPLETED): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=95445.0

Soft Parts: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=107583.0

Gauntlets: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=114126.0

Education and armor, self defense, our tribe, our language and Our Leader All help us Survive

M.V.S. #29
B.O.M.B. #65
B.o.B.B. #009

GardenGeek

« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2016, 11:08 AM »
Nice to see some more progress.  Keep it up!
Thanks Havelock! Life has been getting in the way a little bit lately, but I have a goal in mind, and I feel like I'm getting close :)

Thanks! They came out better than I could have hoped :) They are Chicago screwed together, and will be bondoed over on the front to hide them.  I wanted to mimic the feel of my backplate, so it didn't feel incongruous; normal plates on the front and then wicked weird backplate. I am also doing a similar shoulder pattern as well

Great work! Those shnees look rad!

Keep it up and you'll be OM in not time flat!

Oya!

That's the idea! :) I'd like to be OM by the end of April :) Oya!!

I went to the paint store yesterday and picked up some chips to get an idea of my colour spectrum- and ended up with these :) can't wait to get painting! I have all the paint already , but it gives me an idea for the whole kit together :)

Jayrodadon

• "Coffee gone, helmet on."
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2016, 12:56 PM »
Those shnees are rad.  I was thinking the same thing, (as we talked about before), but I was thinking one solid piece. But I must admit, those you have create a strong argument for multiple pieces.

OM #2240
Cabur Akaata (Protector Battalion) #156
"We don't have a word for hero. Being prepared to die for your family and friends, or what you hold dear, is a basic requirement for a Mando, so it's not worth a separate word. It's only cowards we had to find a special word for." -Baltan Carid, Legacy of the Force: Revelation

Da'am Keldau

• Beskar Gett'se Clan - Montana
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2016, 01:29 PM »
Wow! Talk about initiative! Everything looks awesome!

« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2016, 04:07 PM »

They are fixed schnees, we agreed that while segmented moving k ees would be amazing, it seemed a little less Star Warsy. As such, being someone who does not like to rely solely on an adhesive, I installed some countersunk chicago screws through the layers. It will be glued as well with a very light layer of bondo to fill in the minute lines.

Edit: Apparently my phone does a bad job at seeing multiple pages of posts... your question was already answered.  :laugh:

« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2016, 04:21 PM by Tylek Ren » Logged
First Kit - Early Crusader - In Progress: Bondo Helmet, Page 4
Other First Kit - Modern - In Progress:
Hard Parts and Soft Parts updated 25/04/16

Draceline

• Angel of War
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Special Weapons
« Reply #20 on: Mar 09, 2016, 08:03 PM »
Edit: Apparently my phone does a bad job at seeing multiple pages of posts... your question was already answered.  :laugh:

No problem at all. You gave more detail to the answer anyway, so I'm not objecting in the slightest. I like seeing how things are done. It gives me ideas.

"As Mandalorians, we don't need the Force.
But should you ever want it on your side, don't give it a choice:
Make the Force be with you."

Armor - Soft Parts - Buy'ce - Armory
MARS #47 | NOS #02 | LOB #18 | Draluram #8 | MAJIC #161

GardenGeek

« Reply #21 on: Mar 09, 2016, 09:38 PM »

Gosh Tylek- you're late to the party :p I'm really happy with how my kit has come out so far, in a huge part because of Tylek's hard work. He's been making all the crazy stuff that's coming into my head :)

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #22 on: Mar 15, 2016, 03:17 PM »
Also posting in here to get updates! :P

I really should have been on the look out for your WIP sooner, it's coming along great! I can see that this will be a quality kit!

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

GardenGeek

Re: Finally, a WIP (pic heavy)-helmet update :)
« Reply #23 on: Apr 07, 2016, 05:05 AM »
Feeling like I'm getting stuff accomplished :)

I finally sanded down my helmet from the coat of bondo...

And then took it to work and a friend fiberglassed the inside and then I primed it again :)

I got some sanded it again and threw on some hollow ear caps that I carved from some scrap 3mm sintra. I wanted to be able to have some extra ventilation and be able to hear a little better. So we drilled holes through the helmet and put the vented caps over top to hide them.

After tomorrow I'll have my plates on and update with those :) yayyyyy. Also tomorrow is repriming my helmet and earcaps and hopefully backplate as well. Progress!

Tenebris

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Finally, a WIP (pic heavy)-Helmet update
« Reply #24 on: Apr 08, 2016, 09:47 AM »
That backplate is lush, I really like the way you've taken the same shape through the shnees.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!