Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

GardenGeek's soft part WIP

• 43 Replies

Draceline

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Special Weapons
Re: GardenGeek's soft part WIP
« Reply #15 on: Feb 26, 2016, 02:12 AM »
That is incredibly sweet of you! I didn't mean to make you feel bad either. Sorry. I always forget text lacks inflection, heh :-[

I'm planning on theater design as a major, and I did costumes for the drama program at my previous college, but it was Elizabethan wear that I specialized in (and those bodices are EXTREMELY flat), not mannequin-less princess seams. That's all. It's simply lack of experience. Hence my frustration with the silly pattern I have. LOL. And pattern drafting is tough working by yourself.

This ought to be very helpful. I've always worked best seeing the thing in front of me. This is pretty darn close! Thank you vod. I'll keep you apprised of my progress ;)

"As Mandalorians, we don't need the Force.
But should you ever want it on your side, don't give it a choice:
Make the Force be with you."

Armor - Soft Parts - Buy'ce - Armory
MARS #47 | NOS #02 | LOB #18 | Draluram #8 | MAJIC #161

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2016, 05:28 AM »
lol, that reads much like my guide to vests would. You've used the exact same pattern I do, and I also fit them by eye rather than measurement.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

corriban

• Mercs War Correspondent
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2016, 08:02 AM »
This is looking fantastic! I love your vest so much!

Zasiya Adenn V2 | Dee Ca'tra
Facebook | Instagram
MERC #1078 | KOVA #0011 | M5 #42 | QMU #019 | ALLUMINATI #027 | PMS #003

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2016, 04:52 AM »

I'm planning on theater design as a major, and I did costumes for the drama program at my previous college, but it was Elizabethan wear that I specialized in (and those bodices are EXTREMELY flat), not mannequin-less princess seams. That's all. It's simply lack of experience. Hence my frustration with the silly pattern I have. LOL. And pattern drafting is tough working by yourself.

This ought to be very helpful. I've always worked best seeing the thing in front of me. This is pretty darn close! Thank you vod. I'll keep you apprised of my progress ;)

I hope it's helpful- I wish I could follow a pattern- and have the patience for really extensive costuming- but I like winging it too much, and I cut a lot of corners :p I like making it work any way I can, with what I have on hand.

lol, that reads much like my guide to vests would. You've used the exact same pattern I do, and I also fit them by eye rather than measurement.

It seems to make more sense to me :) My manaquin is set to my size, but nothing fits the same on Diane as it does on me so I spend a lot of time in front of the mirror accidentally poking myself with pins.  I'm glad someone else works the same way I do!

This is looking fantastic! I love your vest so much!
Thanks Corriban! This is the second time I've made it- the first time was a total wash so I cut it up to make this one :)

UPDATE-
Spending the weekend at my dads on the mainland (and going to an AP) and brought along some projects, including my belt- and managed to get my pouches almost done! I just need to get a decorative closure for them- and attach them to the belt. Going to pick up a alcohol ink set tomorrow to age my rivets as well.

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #19 on: Mar 01, 2016, 09:17 PM »
Bias... iron in... Is that English? Just kidding, beautiful work and I love the recycled chair bit: classic. ;)

Vhett Manda Clan - Iowa, USA
MMCC # 1013

Two things left for sniper... TIME! GIVE ME TIME!
Cabur Akaata #38     M.A.B.E.L. #042... Perfect!
VRCA #067                 M.A.C.K. #43
M.A. #175
Sniper WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=90431.0

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2016, 05:41 AM »
What cute little pouches!! I really like the metal hardware with the three big circles (the closure I assume?), and I was just wondering where you got it?

GardenGeek

« Reply #21 on: Mar 02, 2016, 11:25 AM »
The closures are magnetic purse clasps- available at Michaels or Joanns in sets of two. I covered them with leather strips last night, and will have an ornamental closure overtop.  A fellow mando  riveted my pouches on last night too- I'm pretty excited to say my belt is 90% done :)

EDIT-
What cute little pouches!! I really like the metal hardware with the three big circles (the closure I assume?), and I was just wondering where you got it?
Sorry I just read this again! I got the big metal closure with the circles at fabricland :) it just felt swarzy to me :)

Cy'Mur

• Awards 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #22 on: Mar 09, 2016, 04:59 PM »
Very, very WOW!  You do amazing work. I can't wait to see your kit in troop form.

MMCC                 #1687
S.P.A.R.C.K.        #21
Chrome Dome   #009

Backplate addition
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=127177.0

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #23 on: Mar 12, 2016, 01:31 PM »
Very, very WOW!  You do amazing work. I can't wait to see your kit in troop form.

Ditto!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #24 on: Mar 15, 2016, 03:14 PM »
Figure I better get in on this to watch for progress 8)

It's coming along amazing so far there, GG! I'm loving that belt! ;D I'm excited to see what's coming next!

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Tolsi

• -something super badass and cool here-
« Reply #25 on: Mar 19, 2016, 03:45 PM »
Im trying to understand how you did your vest but i cant figure it out :( I dont really understand how you got the shape for the back part (like, the V?? that just looks neat) or really how you did the sides :') I wanna try to do mine like this

Draceline

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Special Weapons
« Reply #26 on: Mar 19, 2016, 08:35 PM »
This is looking better and better vod! I did make sense of your vest instructions, and managed to follow half of it, but I ended up going with a sewn side back zipped one for now. The straps will be an upgraded vest.

I also stripped a chair... Yay leather. Dark brown rather than black, but free material is free! My neighbor was just throwing it out.

"As Mandalorians, we don't need the Force.
But should you ever want it on your side, don't give it a choice:
Make the Force be with you."

Armor - Soft Parts - Buy'ce - Armory
MARS #47 | NOS #02 | LOB #18 | Draluram #8 | MAJIC #161

Ran

• Not the crown makes the king.
« Reply #27 on: Mar 19, 2016, 08:51 PM »
This is ridiculous. XD

Scratch Build WIP
Art Thread
"Can your science explain the magic of rainbows?"
"Light defraction through moisture in the atmosphere."
"... It's a sad world you live in."

GardenGeek

« Reply #28 on: Mar 20, 2016, 12:19 PM »
Im trying to understand how you did your vest but i cant figure it out :( I dont really understand how you got the shape for the back part (like, the V?? that just looks neat) or really how you did the sides :') I wanna try to do mine like this

Let me sit down next week and write up a better tutorial than what I have there. With the yoke it was a last minute thing. What happened was that I made a vest last summer and I thought "I like this, but I can make it better" so I cut it and made alterations and came up with this one by altering my existing one it was finished and wearable but I wanted it to be better. I love yokes, so before putting the princess seams in the back (check out my hard parts thread if you want to see how useless doing all this fancy stuff underneath armour plates is. You can't see it underneath my backplate let alone the cape...sorry I digress)  I folded the vest back in half lengthways and cut the V in and used bias tape along the edge to really define it. After that I lay the cut portion on the floor and cut the princess seams in for the back.

I also stripped a chair... Yay leather. Dark brown rather than black, but free material is free! My neighbor was just throwing it out.

Can you imagine someone just throwing out all that perfectly good leather?!  I work next to a furniture thrift store and when they bring in a leather piece that is ripped or unsaleable they come and get me and I strip it for the leather. I just got the most amazing avacado/olive colour leather...I don't even know what I'll do with it!

As for the sides- on my original vest I had the sides sewn together, one with a zipper. I figured doing it with clips would be cooler temperature wise, and much more adjustable. All I did was cut the sides open and use nylon webbing to hold the clips in.

Thanks everyone! Kama coming very very soon :)  No sleep till OM right?

SkiBlue1737

• I always play fair, exactly as fair as my opponent
« Reply #29 on: Mar 21, 2016, 01:15 PM »
Your soft parts are looking fantastic! I love the custom dye job and the salvaged leather belt. And everything. Just love everything! :)

The entire vest has medium iron in interfacing as well to provide some extra body too. I used bias tape for the edging-

Tis a good thing I took the time to read through everything. I've been worried that my vest fabric wouldn't be sturdy enough; I completely forgot about interfacing's existence. Thanks!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!