Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

GardenGeek's soft part WIP

• 43 Replies

Tolsi

• -something super badass and cool here-
Re: GardenGeek's soft part WIP
« Reply #25 on: Mar 19, 2016, 03:45 PM »
Im trying to understand how you did your vest but i cant figure it out :( I dont really understand how you got the shape for the back part (like, the V?? that just looks neat) or really how you did the sides :') I wanna try to do mine like this

Draceline

• Angel of War
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Special Weapons
« Reply #26 on: Mar 19, 2016, 08:35 PM »
This is looking better and better vod! I did make sense of your vest instructions, and managed to follow half of it, but I ended up going with a sewn side back zipped one for now. The straps will be an upgraded vest.

I also stripped a chair... Yay leather. Dark brown rather than black, but free material is free! My neighbor was just throwing it out.

"As Mandalorians, we don't need the Force.
But should you ever want it on your side, don't give it a choice:
Make the Force be with you."

Armor - Soft Parts - Buy'ce - Armory
MARS #47 | NOS #02 | LOB #18 | Draluram #8 | MAJIC #161

Ran

• Not the crown makes the king.
« Reply #27 on: Mar 19, 2016, 08:51 PM »
This is ridiculous. XD

Scratch Build WIP
Art Thread
"Can your science explain the magic of rainbows?"
"Light defraction through moisture in the atmosphere."
"... It's a sad world you live in."

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #28 on: Mar 20, 2016, 12:19 PM »
Im trying to understand how you did your vest but i cant figure it out :( I dont really understand how you got the shape for the back part (like, the V?? that just looks neat) or really how you did the sides :') I wanna try to do mine like this

Let me sit down next week and write up a better tutorial than what I have there. With the yoke it was a last minute thing. What happened was that I made a vest last summer and I thought "I like this, but I can make it better" so I cut it and made alterations and came up with this one by altering my existing one it was finished and wearable but I wanted it to be better. I love yokes, so before putting the princess seams in the back (check out my hard parts thread if you want to see how useless doing all this fancy stuff underneath armour plates is. You can't see it underneath my backplate let alone the cape...sorry I digress)  I folded the vest back in half lengthways and cut the V in and used bias tape along the edge to really define it. After that I lay the cut portion on the floor and cut the princess seams in for the back.

I also stripped a chair... Yay leather. Dark brown rather than black, but free material is free! My neighbor was just throwing it out.

Can you imagine someone just throwing out all that perfectly good leather?!  I work next to a furniture thrift store and when they bring in a leather piece that is ripped or unsaleable they come and get me and I strip it for the leather. I just got the most amazing avacado/olive colour leather...I don't even know what I'll do with it!

As for the sides- on my original vest I had the sides sewn together, one with a zipper. I figured doing it with clips would be cooler temperature wise, and much more adjustable. All I did was cut the sides open and use nylon webbing to hold the clips in.

Thanks everyone! Kama coming very very soon :)  No sleep till OM right?

SkiBlue1737

• I always play fair, exactly as fair as my opponent
« Reply #29 on: Mar 21, 2016, 01:15 PM »
Your soft parts are looking fantastic! I love the custom dye job and the salvaged leather belt. And everything. Just love everything! :)

The entire vest has medium iron in interfacing as well to provide some extra body too. I used bias tape for the edging-

Tis a good thing I took the time to read through everything. I've been worried that my vest fabric wouldn't be sturdy enough; I completely forgot about interfacing's existence. Thanks!

GardenGeek

« Reply #30 on: Mar 30, 2016, 09:00 PM »

Finally found another pair of gloves that I like after I lost one of my other gloves at an armour party. I hope they'll work- no logos or anything, though the chevrons are distinctive- but not noticeable when I'm wearing them.  Any thoughts?

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #31 on: Mar 30, 2016, 09:26 PM »
Look fine to me. As far as chevrons go, aren't they kind of like pyramids? Three separate civilizations all independently came up with an interesting design? :P :laugh:

Vhett Manda Clan - Iowa, USA
MMCC # 1013

Two things left for sniper... TIME! GIVE ME TIME!
Cabur Akaata #38     M.A.B.E.L. #042... Perfect!
VRCA #067                 M.A.C.K. #43
M.A. #175
Sniper WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=90431.0

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #32 on: Apr 01, 2016, 03:43 PM »
I don't see why those gloves wouldn't be approvable. They're really nice in my opinion

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

GardenGeek

« Reply #33 on: Apr 04, 2016, 06:44 AM »
Perfect! That's what I was hoping the verdict would be :) I was thinking glove armour, but it interferes with my gauntlets. Maybe later :)

I got around to attaching more buckles to my vest yesterday, along with my backplate!! What we did was attach the back half of the buckle to the backplate, and it clips in to one of the buckles on my vest.

My Kama is half finished now... soft parts are almost done, which means weathering (which kind of terrifies me). Anyone have any soft part weathering tips or advice?

Shammah

• Vhett Manda
  • Awards 40+ hrs of Charity Work Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #34 on: Apr 04, 2016, 06:27 PM »
Dirt is our friend. The best kits look like you haven't had much time to clean them... ever. ;D Think about where you've been (Hoth or Endor? Or both), what you did while you war there (stuck in the rough for a month or a tea party), and how many times has this happened to you over the years?

Think layers as well: a little dirt, then cleaned up (when you got the chance), then more dirt. Each scar, scratch, chip, bump tells a story. They didn't all happen at once well. Some just happened, others happened years ago. What is that going to look like? Weather doesn't have to be filthy to be good, it just needs to be honest looking like knees and elbows getting ground in dirt. Just a few ideas for you. ;)

Vhett Manda Clan - Iowa, USA
MMCC # 1013

Two things left for sniper... TIME! GIVE ME TIME!
Cabur Akaata #38     M.A.B.E.L. #042... Perfect!
VRCA #067                 M.A.C.K. #43
M.A. #175
Sniper WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=90431.0

Avidem

• ba'slanar nayc vod bat te kyrbej
« Reply #35 on: Apr 04, 2016, 07:52 PM »
This is looking good.

Aria

• They told me to dress for the job I want
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #36 on: Apr 12, 2016, 10:46 PM »
I really like the idea of bucking the back plate into the vest....I might 'borrow' it.  ;) Or something similar.
The third plate on mine is starting to pop up for no reason.

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

GardenGeek

« Reply #37 on: Apr 19, 2016, 10:51 AM »
I really like the idea of bucking the back plate into the vest....I might 'borrow' it.  ;) Or something similar.
The third plate on mine is starting to pop up for no reason.

Please do :)

Actually finished my vest now- except for the Velcro for my chest diamond :) yay!

Gnar-Gnar

• Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #38 on: Apr 19, 2016, 06:40 PM »
Woot Woot!
 :o

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #39 on: Apr 19, 2016, 09:08 PM »
Nice

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #40 on: Apr 19, 2016, 11:11 PM »
So close! I am excite! ;D

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Aria

• They told me to dress for the job I want
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Most invasions trooped in 2017
« Reply #41 on: Apr 20, 2016, 12:27 AM »
Looks very nice!

The Aria Pics
He/Him
Swimmy Rancor Clan of Cold Frozen Northerness || MMCC#1248 || Light Melee#001 ||  M5#47 || Ficus Relocation Brigade

Bjourk

• Ad Astra Per Aspera
« Reply #42 on: Apr 23, 2016, 11:26 AM »
Very impressive so far!

Bjourk's All-Steel Build WIP - (Helmet build link on the jump)

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2016, 09:22 PM »
I'm sorry, I just now stumbled on this and these soft parts are amazing. 

Those gloves of yours look pretty good to me.  You could claim that the gray leather is made from Kaminoan, like a set of gloves a certain null trooper is known to have!   :)

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!