Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

How to Start

• 4 Replies
How to Start
« on: Nov 15, 2020, 08:23 PM »
Hello, I'm new to the forum and I want to start my first set of armor. I have seen a lot of 3D models for helmets and prints but I was wondering if anyone knows of an alternative way? I don't have a 3D printer so I'm trying to avoid that route.

Celtkhan

• Want some soup?
Re: How to Start
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2020, 08:56 PM »
https://youtu.be/W3TfUh_Y7z8

That’s where I started mine, although I used a hard hat instead of a bike helmet. He also has a thread documenting the build which covers a few finer points that aren’t in the videos.

« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2020, 02:20 AM »
Are you wanting to make a Helmet from scratch or looking to purchase one?

I bought the Hasbro Black Series Prototype Boba Helmet as a starting point. Itll need work but not much.

I know you can buy Raw buckets which are cast and then you need to get a visor and do the cleanup and whatnot. Again some work needed but a good challenge.
Then theres the Make it yourself which would be the biggest challenge of them all.

Depends on your cofidence, skill and budget I guess.

Making your own has the advantage of being able to make it exactly how you want it to be.

What ideas do you have in mind?

This Is The Way
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2020, 04:59 AM »
How much are you willing to spend, how many tools do you have on hand, and how much work do you want to put in? 

If you go to the Mandalorian Supplies thread in the Trading Station you can find multiple people selling anything from ABS vacuum formed bucket kits to fully finished resin cast helmets.  Or you can get one of the Rubies Jengo two-piece or the Black Series Boba Fett Helmet and modify it.  Or, if you're really locked into a small budget, a hard hat or bike helmet and hardware store buckets.  If you're feeling a bit extra there are also pepakura files here on the forums and go with a papercraft and fiberglass.

https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?board=277.0

Obviously a fully finished resin cast helmet will cost you significantly more than an unfinished bucket.  It literally is only determined by exactly how much work and money you want to put in at the end, the less finished the product the more work; pepakura and fiberglass with create the most work, next is the helmet/bucket, then the various kits/toy mods.  The helmet/bucket DIY option is one of the cheapest with "Kick the Bucket" (https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=170297.0) being the most affordable bucket sold on the Trading Station.  Pepakura and fiberglass is about equivalent in price to a resin cast at about $160+(US).

« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2020, 12:07 PM »

I know you can buy Raw buckets which are cast and then you need to get a visor and do the cleanup and whatnot. Again some work needed but a good challenge.
Then theres the Make it yourself which would be the biggest challenge of them all.

I'm not confident enough to try and make one from scratch, but I think going this route still leaves plenty of customization options so I think that's what I'll do.
Thanks for the help everyone  :like:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!