Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming an Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Author Topic: mounting armour  (Read 27150 times)

mounting armour
« on: Sep 21, 2007, 07:03 PM »
what method have you used to mount you'r armour , and what is the best method , post methods

Re: mounting armour
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2007, 08:27 PM »
Industrial strength velcro is my choice, plus it allows you to re-sit your armour easily
Founding member of the Vok'Chi

Alor'ad 2007-2012

Official #0014

Vode An

Taglar Dreskk

• Jon Nichols
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2007, 08:27 AM »
So far all my stuff is velcro, but I plan on adding snaps as well soon.  I found that the velcro just doesn't hold as well in some parts and additional attachments are needed.

It's nothing major...just a personal preference.

If you do velcro, get a package of "industrial strength" (meaning super strong GLUE) and a package of "non-sticky".  Use the glue version on your armor (clean the area with alcohol first, then apply and let stick for 24 hours before trying it out) and use the non-sticky version for your vest (VERY IMPORTANT as the glue on the normal stuff will gunk up your sewing machine).
MERC #0008 | MAJIC #0012 | VRCA #0018 | BEARDS #0003
Mercs Codex Review Comittee 2013-2014
Rancor Clan Ruus'alor 2013-2014
Mercs Forum Administrator / Communications Officer 2007-2012
Founding Member of Rancor Clan
37 career invasions

Mandalore the Uniter

• Haggisalor
  • Uniting the faithful.
  • Awards 2016 Award for 25 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2007, 09:40 AM »
I personally use the same method as Jun.  I find the snaps to be very strong, but you can't adjust your armor...so you better get the snap placement right =D

My thigh plates are held tightly in place with my holster straps.  Used to use velcro, but that was highly irritating. 

Jax Archillies

« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2007, 12:21 PM »
I use bolts and velcro

Brisk Arper Vok'chi

• Wasnt born! he was government issued!
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 2007, 12:27 PM »
i use exactly the same as taglar...listen to his advice...i learnt the hard way that YOU REALLY SHOULD get sewing  velcro...i almost blew up my mothers sewing machine before figuring it out lol

Ca'tra Talyc

• I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2007, 01:51 PM »
High powered magnets. Glued to the back of the plates and sewn into pockets on the backside of the vest. I'm pretty worried about the plates getting knocked off or pulled off though. I may end up going to velcro if it becomes a problem.

It's just the starter armor. Next time, I think I'd like to try bolting it.
Pretty girls break hearts; Mando girls break necks.

« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2007, 05:45 AM »
Industrial strength velcro is my choice, plus it allows you to re-sit your armour easily

Don't I know it...   ;)  ;)  ;D

« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2007, 05:48 AM »
High powered magnets. Glued to the back of the plates and sewn into pockets on the backside of the vest. I'm pretty worried about the plates getting knocked off or pulled off though. I may end up going to velcro if it becomes a problem.

It's just the starter armor. Next time, I think I'd like to try bolting it.

I also in the begining used strong magnets, but found they did a ove around a lot. So I now use very strong Valcro with Bolts here and there, and lower body armor is held by sraps and the odd strip of elastic.  ;)

Drake

• OM #0047 BVC Merc Veteran '07
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: Sep 24, 2007, 05:28 PM »
High powered magnets.

Perhaps a hazard to your health.....

I used Industrial Velcro. :)
[PAGES 1-7 DETAIL ZABRAK MANDO, 7-∞ DETAIL STEEL LEGACY] : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=38505.90

Drake Manufacturing: https://www.facebook.com/DrakeMfg/

Mando_Kyram

• I <3 Hannah
  • Geno Slade'ous
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: Sep 28, 2007, 07:44 PM »
Well my armor is tin, so i am (stillin the process) punching holes in the ends and sewing my armor to my vest.

Jax Archillies

« Reply #11 on: Sep 29, 2007, 07:08 PM »
tin?  not aluminum?  where did you find large sheets of tin?  how think is it? how much did it cost?  pics?

Mando_Kyram

• I <3 Hannah
  • Geno Slade'ous
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: Sep 29, 2007, 08:25 PM »
Well I used aluminum at first, but i wanted something stonger so I chose tin. I buy it by rolls, and I got it at roofing supply store, Same as aluminum, Mine was about $80 and I have a thread in completed mandos i think is on the first page (Slade). That is with velcro attachings so it didnt stick well. All the reason that I updateing.

Jax Archillies

« Reply #13 on: Oct 02, 2007, 02:41 AM »
sorry, but aluminum is almost 200 times stronger than tin, and has a high weight to strenth ratio.  thats kinda why they use it to make .  Usually it is used as a coating on aluminum, iron, copper or steel to prevent rust.  mostly it is used as a conductor in electronics and such.  it IS however more easily bent than aluminum or aluminum aloy's.

abou tsewing your armor to the vest.  what kind of thread are you using?  did you get some good upostry thred?  i dont knwo of any thread short of rope or leather that will hold armor plates or armor with edges for a long time without cutting itself in half.  i propose the following:

once youve finished your armor, dril or punch holes (shodul be extreamly easy with tin) at two to three corners of the armor.  use a flush mounted screw and bolt directly to the vest.  once tightened all the way, use JB Weld to secre the nut onto the bolt so i till not vibrate or jar loose.  Bondo over the hole and spot prime, andthan paint away! and POOF! 

OR

you can use INDRUSTRIL velcro only on teh armor plating.  this will NOT come loose in the heat of battle.  the only issue is you might either want to hand sew the velcro to the vest with an upolsters needle (thick one) or use the proper needle in a sweing machine and go slowly.

both ways work perfect.  the blot way will NEVER faitl, however, the velcro way will not fail in 99% of cases studied.
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2007, 02:46 AM by Jax Archillies »

« Reply #14 on: Oct 02, 2007, 10:39 AM »
just got both types of velcro , but check my athor thread have a problem

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming an Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!