Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Th'Odin Vorr's Armor Progress 2/2/17 (pic heavy)

• 29 Replies

ThOdin Vorr

• Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur
Th'Odin Vorr's Armor Progress 2/2/17 (pic heavy)
« on: Mar 20, 2016, 01:36 PM »
 ;)Hello everyone, I'm Th'Odin and welcome to my build thread!

so I've been away for about forever now and its time that I finish this dream I started.
Alot of my progress pictures have been lost and im going to have to repost them all again but this time it will just be a brief over view.

First of all this is Me with this awesome guy who inspired me to want to be apart of this amazing club, you all know him as Dirgha'tus.
This was taken a year ago btw

And it begins
I purchased two raw buckets one for myself and the other for my nephew.

after spending a boat load of money on tools and supplies i got started on my bucket. First of all using dry erase markers to trace out some details and then using my dremel to carve the markings out.

After this point I installed my visor and attempted to make my rangefinder be able to go up and down using magnets.. however it failed and since then I've decided that i don't want a range finder. I wont post pictures of this method that used unless someone asks me to.

:( I cant find any of the pictures I took when I made my visor but basically I bought a face shield kit from home depot(http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Clear-Professional-Face-Shield-90028-80025/202195394) this is the exact one I got. I used some car window tint and tinted the visor after cut it. Then I cut off most of the blue dome part of the head harness and mounted that inside my bucket so I can wear it.

Then I started painting, and this is where I stopped after hitting some creative block..... but after many coats Im finally getting somewhere

I used Liquid Masking fluid to cover up my claw marks and other 3d damages.
My name on my bucket

I started using toothpaste as a masking agent around this time..... it didnt work how I would have liked, it most places it was used it melted away after the paint was sprayed and eventually make it a headache to remove... in some spots it even took the previous coats of paint with it.

If anyone else decides they want to give liquid masking fluid a try, my advice is dont let it stay on for a long period of time. My mistake was putting all this stuff on and then not touching my bucket for months. It took me hours of going over my bucket with an xacto knife picking at the stuff to get it off... but It was well worth it.

After a quick crystal clear coat, really brings out the beauty of it. (sorry for the video link, but just incase you want to see it in real time)
http://vid1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah295/Travis_Trescot/16321201_111983705981502_3844286503500906496_n_zpsbctohrud.mp4

Thats all for now. I will be going over the helmet with some silver Rub-n-Buff, Also I still need to fab out my antenna that I will be using in place of a range finder. I have two helmet fans ordered and I will install those as soon as they come in. I dont plan on blackwashing anything until I have all of my armor painted and ready.

Feedback is always welcome.
Regards
-Th'Odin Vorr 

« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2017, 07:14 AM by ThOdin Vorr » Logged
-Th'Odin Vorr

-Verd ori'shya beskar'gam-

Parjir

• Oya!
Re: First Mando Build (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2016, 11:14 PM »
First love your ODST costume and it looks like you've got a great plan on your kit, the colors look good, and i'm looking forward to your build.

“Life is a gift that everyone cherishes, but eventually has to return.” - Mandalorian proverb

ThOdin Vorr

Re: First Mando Build (pic heavy)
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2016, 10:46 AM »
First love your ODST costume and it looks like you've got a great plan on your kit, the colors look good, and i'm looking forward to your build.

Thank you!, the Odst was my first completed project. I only wore it one time, was actually looking to sell the helmet to fund my kit.. and Im so excited to start my Mando at last... just been doing some trimming on my bucket.. trying to decided where I want to put some claw marks at.

-Th'Odin Vorr

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: First Mando Build Beast Hunter new helmet progress (pic heavy)
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2016, 01:21 PM »
Looking good! Definitely a nasty beastie, there.  Your Mando may want to invest in beskar the next time around :P

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Hik'aari

• Nick'aari
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Special Weapons 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2016, 02:03 PM »
I especially like how on the face slash you have taken into consideration the fact it would jump from the "Cheek Bone" to the bottom of the cheek.

I look forward to seeing how you paint these sections to really make the damage *pop*

Hik'aari WIP  |  Cat #1319  |  Akii'su WIP
Need Help? Rules and Guides

Raestin Ke'Varek

• Fortune favors the bold
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2016, 02:07 PM »
I love the texture in those gouges... Really "sells" the look.  Good job.  :)

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2016, 08:09 AM »
Very nice, and a smooth transition over the cheek plates.

My only question: why a beastie with only 3 claws? :P Everybody does 3 claws and I can think of so few animals with only 3. Cartoon images of paws, why?! :P

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

ThOdin Vorr

« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2016, 10:50 AM »
Very nice, and a smooth transition over the cheek plates.

My only question: why a beastie with only 3 claws? :P Everybody does 3 claws and I can think of so few animals with only 3. Cartoon images of paws, why?! :P

three marks cause A Nexu is what caused them lol Sorry guys thats my bad On my part on not saying that in my planning thread. My Mando Th'Odin, specializes in hunting large beasts but has a standing contract with settlements on the planet Cholganna to hunt and capture troublesome Nexu that prey on livestock and citizens.

« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2017, 12:31 PM by ThOdin Vorr » Logged
-Th'Odin Vorr

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2016, 07:20 PM »
I'll let you off then, you thought about what got you :P You wouldn't believe the amount of people that proudly state that they were got by a Rancor and then have 3 piddly claw marks and I just have to ask if it was a maimed baby rancor :P ;)

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

ThOdin Vorr

« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2016, 03:39 AM »
UPDATE!

pretty much finished the trim work for now. cut out a slot for the rangefinder to go up and down. Unfortunately i lost control of the dremel a couple of times so that cut didn't turn out pretty like I wanted it to but it should work. Also I cut the line down the left ear. I plan on backing it with a black screen so that way it will provide another source of ventilation. Next step now is to figure out how I want to mount my range finder and start thinking about how I am going to mount my visor in.

My nephew started working on his helmet over spring break, his claw marks are much wider than mine. This is supposed to be as if the beast grabbed on, or slowly drug its claws down, As to compared to mine where that would be more of a fast glancing swipe, thus smaller cleaner markings.

Sorry had to remove all the picture links =(

« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2017, 12:32 PM by ThOdin Vorr » Logged
-Th'Odin Vorr

ThOdin Vorr

« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2016, 04:03 AM »
I'll let you off then, you thought about what got you :P You wouldn't believe the amount of people that proudly state that they were got by a Rancor and then have 3 piddly claw marks and I just have to ask if it was a maimed baby rancor :P ;)

well have to admit, I panicked at your first comment :o LoL. Had to pull up some Nexu pictures and was relived to see their three clawed feet ;D.

-Th'Odin Vorr

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Mar 27, 2016, 11:04 PM »
well have to admit, I panicked at your first comment :o LoL. Had to pull up some Nexu pictures and was relived to see their three clawed feet ;D.
The Three-Clawed Head Slasher is a common threat to Mandalorians, apparently.  the triple-claw-slash across the helmet is wildly common, so much so that it's become something of a cliché.

ThOdin Vorr

Hey Everyone, got a few things done on my bucket.

first off, I attempted to fabricate a system with magnets that would hold my rangefinder up but would allow me to lower it whenever I wanted to.

Basically the concept is that I drilled a small hole in the rangefinder stalk to install a small steel rod that the magnets would grab on to. Inside my bucket I used my carving bit to kinda build a pocket that would hold the magnets which I secured down using JB weld putty.

This system worked great until I put the range finder on at the end of the stalk. the magnets were not as strong as I though they would be.
I did find a solution however. originally I was going to use binding posts to fasten the stalk to the bucket. however the end of the post presented a problem cause I would need to carve out a crater on the ear cap in order to put that on. Using a binding post I though it would be better if the stalk did not have to interact with a threaded bolt as this would cause the nut at the end of the bolt to loosen up every time the RF would move. A binding posts threads are inside the post and the idea was to have unlimited RF movement without having to tighten anything. The binding didnt give enough resistance and that with the magnets not being strong enough and having to modify the ear cap made me switch back to a threaded bolt and a lock nut.

Basically I drilled 3 holes. in which I also drilled holes in the ear cap. I then cut three small steel studs that I used to fix the ear cap to the bucket. I accidentally drilled all the way through on one hole but I kind of like how that looked when it was done. I was pretty satisfied how this turned out, now the earcap is installed in a way that its not permanently secure, but yet firmly secure.

as always, feedback is very much appreciated ;D

« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2017, 12:33 PM by ThOdin Vorr » Logged
-Th'Odin Vorr

Khull'Fal

• Original name HawkWolf
  • Awards Beastmaster Brigade Member 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Love the 3D weathering on your lid  8)

Very good progress, keep it up.

MMCC #1337/ L.O.B #1/ Cabur Akaata #31/ G.O.M.O.L #13/ M.A.C.K Dady #23/ Oribru Akaata #30

ThOdin Vorr

Ingenious idea even if it didn't work Vod!

Thank you Vod! I think when I go to do my Nephews RF that I may use larger magnets. and a flat peice of steel rather than a steel rod.

-Th'Odin Vorr

polarlight

• It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Those claw marks across the front of the helmet are awesome, nice detail! looks very natural.

The hunter has become the hunted.....

ThOdin Vorr

Those claw marks across the front of the helmet are awesome, nice detail! looks very natural.

Thanks Vod!  ;D

-Th'Odin Vorr

really nice job on everything!! good planning makes for a funer build!!

Go forth and be Creative

Karl Dha'Werda

• MMCC Karl & Rex Dha'Werda &RL/TDE Karl Darklighter
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Donated four quarters of 2023. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
Hey Everyone, got a few things done on my bucket.
first off, I attempted to fabricate a system with magnets that would hold my rangefinder up but would allow me to lower it whenever I wanted to.

Basically the concept is that I drilled a small hole in the rangefinder stalk to install a small steel rod that the magnets would grab on to. Inside my bucket I used my carving bit to kinda build a pocket that would hold the magnets which I secured down using JB weld putty.

Vod, can you update your links (as Facebook deletes links after a few days) or swap them over to a different image hosting site.  It is great material for others to figure out how to get a working rangefinder.

Fair warning I like to take pictures and I've written a novel, so be prepared for both.
Karl Dha'Werda Facebook
Oyu'baat Clan
OM Troops: 84
Mandalorian WIP
Late Crusader kit
B.E.A.R.D.S#137|Mando Rider#038|ALUMINATI#036 FMM|MLCS#026|Oribru Akaata#54|MVS#100

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017

If I could make an artist recommendation, it seems as if the center Nexu claw is not only larger, but further forward than the rear two. I would suggest the center claw go up a few inches (or centimeters depending on what you use) higher than the outside two. Also perhaps make the center claw mark a little wider perhaps? Might set these claws apart from others! I do like your work making the cuts 3D though!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

The Bearded Mando

• Run if you must, but you will only die tired.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Syper has a great visor installation tutorial in the helmet stickes.

ThOdin Vorr

Re: Th'Odin Vorr's Helmet Progress 1/31/17 (pic heavy)
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2017, 07:53 PM »
Hey everybody

This is the first time I've ever used rub-n-buff and I love it.
I used a brush and cotton cloth to highlight the edges of the helmet to make everything jump out. I also went back over all of the claw marks and other battle dings. I'm going to wait to black wash once I have all my armor plates painted.
first pic is before rub-n-buff and everything after is rub-n-buffed

So a while back I bought a bar of aluminum with the idea of making my own rangefinder but ultimately I've decided to make an  antenna so I cut off a length and traced out a pattern that I will cut out later, it's possible for me to double up on the bar to give it more depth but I haven't decided yet

-Th'Odin Vorr

Bariikas Talgal

• Leave a legacy worthy of a song
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: Th'Odin Vorr's Helmet Progress 1/31/17 (pic heavy) i'm back!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2017, 08:48 PM »
Wow! The three-clawed beast just got nastier, top notch! I normally am not a fan of the clawed helmets but I am -certainly- a fan of this! Good stuff mate. ;D

Retired MMCC: #1608

Kris Jasra

« Reply #23 on: Feb 01, 2017, 06:31 AM »
You continuing the claw marks over the collar/shoulder armour too?

ThOdin Vorr

« Reply #24 on: Feb 01, 2017, 07:43 AM »
You continuing the claw marks over the collar/shoulder armor too?

I was going to continue the marks onto the collar plate but wasn't going to take it any further than that

-Th'Odin Vorr

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!