Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

This one goes out to the lady - Mandos - Easiest Chest Cast Ever!

• 14 Replies
Okay, I've seen a lot of tutorials to assist in the shaping of female Mando chest plates.....and I've tried a lot of them too. And I don't know if anyone has posted this one before but I wanted to share my success. (And FYI, I'm not sure if I posted this in the right area.)

One of the OM for my local clan mentioned using casting tape for the form of his wife's chest plate. They looked beautiful! But I couldn't seem to find any good tape. So I found "...Craft Wrap - Plaster Cloth Gauze Bandage..." on Amazon. It's only $6.95 a roll and it says they mostly use them for pregnant belly casts. So I thought, "What the heck?"

My rolls came in today. These are my rolls:

So I got out an old bra. My thinking is that it should be one similar in size to your daily wear bras. You can fit smaller jubblies in bigger plates but not bigger into small plates. So beware of sports bra issues which can....compress things. Then I got a good sized mixing bowl from the kitchen and put about three cups of water in it. Once that was done, with DRY, GLOVED hands I cut my plaster bandages into 6" strips.

*You may want to put a towel down as I had a good bit of drips as the process went on. I also did this in the bathroom to minimize chaos and also have a mirror to look at myself.*

Then I took a single strip, gently dipped it in the water and then applied it to myself. I didn't think it needed explaining, but you should be wearing only the bra at this point....bottoms are optional... :laugh: The package says not to leave the strip in the water for more than 3 seconds but a simple dip and go worked fine for me. Then i just started gently layering. Start with a single layer and then have a go at two or if you're feeling adventurous, three. I'm pretty tall and about a C cup and I used whole single roll with about two layers in general. make sure you don't let you bandages wrinkle up or fold in on itself. You can press them down pretty good and they'll stay in place.

Once you're done, let it dry for about ten minutes (or until it feels hard). Then you can GENTLY peel it off. It will stick to you but don't freak out. I did a few shrugs and it helped loosen enough to get my fingers in and peel away. The bra you wear is gonna stick the worst. But again. Be Gentle. This is only plaster. I actually had to unclasp mine to get it off.

My finished product:

I'm gonna hit it with some resin tomorrow to give it some real strength. But I think it was a great success. And the up side is that I did this by myself. So if you don't have some helping hands it was super easy. I hope this helps!! Cheers!

NOTE: You have to put resin or some supporting agent on the cast or it will probably disintegrate. The left over plaster on my skin came off as soon a the water hit it. I'm putting the resin on today and will give further updates later.

Also sturdiness is dependent on layers. the edges of mine snapped but the main parts are super solid this will hopefully be improved by the resin, as I hope to make this a permanent form of myself. If you don't have resin, I would suggest two layers of really good duct tape. Resin doesn't really like cold weather so results can be mixed. I had this issue so I'm gonna use both resin and duct tape.

« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2016, 01:33 PM by ChameleonCode » Logged
"It makes me happy that I make you nervous...that tells me you aren't stupid."

Armor:

Helmet:

Techblade a.k.a Dral Tracinya : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=111300.0

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
OO! This could also be used to make casts of legs, knees, forarms, etc!

With a little work you could probably use this to intern make an image of your chest (or whatever part of your body you did with this technique) for molding future sets of armor to (whether with this material, or out of other materials). Just a thought.

For example, when I get a chance I think I'm gonna try making casts of my forearms with this, and use that in turn to form the aluminum for my gauntlets to.

« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2016, 10:03 PM by Malakier Vhett » Logged
Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
So awesome.  Thank you!

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
Bookmarked.
Might help if my wife decides on a second kit

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
How sturdy is the plaster after you put the resin on it? I definitely see it being useful I would just be a bit worried that it would be very brittle. You could possibly lay fiberglass to help strengthen it as well if that were the case.

How sturdy is the plaster after you put the resin on it? I definitely see it being useful I would just be a bit worried that it would be very brittle. You could possibly lay fiberglass to help strengthen it as well if that were the case.

And enter my update :laugh:

NOTE: You have to put resin on the cast or it will probably disintegrate. The left over plaster on my skin came off as soon a the water hit it. I'm putting the resin on today and will give further updates later.

Also sturdiness is dependent on layers. the edges of mine snapped but the main parts are super solid this will hopefully be improved by the resin as I hope to make this a permanent form of myself.

Yes I'm posting this note in two spot but....yea.....humans....lol

« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2016, 02:15 PM by ChameleonCode » Logged

Armor:

Helmet:

Techblade a.k.a Dral Tracinya : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=111300.0

Malek Dair

• Ratiin ba'balut oya!
Great tutorial! Bookmarking this for future reference...may or may not be leaning towards rolling a full metal legacy kit next.... ;D

Armour Thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=94290.0

Helmet Thread (COMPLETED): http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=95445.0

Soft Parts: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=107583.0

Gauntlets: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=114126.0

Education and armor, self defense, our tribe, our language and Our Leader All help us Survive

M.V.S. #29
B.O.M.B. #65
B.o.B.B. #009
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS. I'm starting work on my (first) armor set this weekend, and the chest was frightening me the most.

Bookmarked for future reference. You're fabulous.

No problem!! If you don't want to put resin on it I would suggest good duct tape as an inexpensive alternative. Its a little chilly out the last couple of days and I've noticed mixed results with my resin projects. Happy crafting!

Armor:

Helmet:

Erio J'uni

• Trust me. All you are to me is a paycheck!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 75 official invasions.
Chameleon, you are fantastic!  You're building epic stuff and helping to educate others.  Bravo!

MMCC #899 | B.O.M.B. #1 - The Bomb'alor | M.A.J.I.C. #132 | K.O.M.S. #17 | B.O.O.M. #11 | The IT-Mando Society #11 | Grey Brigade #59

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Hmmmm, plastercast. Should have thought of that. My tape attempt failed as it got knocked out of shape while 'glassing.

However, that did mean my housemate went out to the garage for a couple of hours and made me (his words here not mine) boobiquin. 1.2mm aluminium hammered out cast of my chest. It's very weird, like a silver whiteboard that I can draw on and use for fibreglassing on :P

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

SkiBlue1737

• I always play fair, exactly as fair as my opponent
This is fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

Hmmmm, plastercast. Should have thought of that. My tape attempt failed as it got knocked out of shape while 'glassing.

However, that did mean my housemate went out to the garage for a couple of hours and made me (his words here not mine) boobiquin. 1.2mm aluminium hammered out cast of my chest. It's very weird, like a silver whiteboard that I can draw on and use for fibreglassing on :P

I'm absolutely dying!!! LOL *boobiquin* is the most awesome word to wake up to.  :laugh:

My duct tape dummy is great for helping with positioning but its not good for forming.

Armor:

Helmet:

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
This is Boobiquin. In all it's 34DD glory (formed to a sports bra and leather mando vest so none of that underboob shelf) currently set up for fibreglassing an early crusader chest plate (card shaped to fit then duct taped down and blu-tack to stop the resin running and give the plates an edge. Sticky side of the duct tape just peels right off the metal and the silver side peels off the fibreglass)

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
Nice! See this is exactly what I want to do. Mine's not all fancy and metal tho like some people.... ;) ;) :laugh:

Armor:

Helmet:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!