Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

WIP for my pre vizla costume

• 23 Replies
WIP for my pre vizla costume
« on: Mar 30, 2016, 01:41 PM »
 Hello all!
Ok quick intro to those i have not met. Name is David, and im from New west B.C. I saw star wars in all its glory when i was a little boy. My whole life i wanted to build a movie quality costume. Deciding on that costume was not an easy task. With dozens of cool characters from the movies and expanded universe, how is one to decide?
I started off doing boba fett. Then switched to Jango Fett, Then to a random death watch soldier, and finally Pre Vizla. My kids and i were re watching all starwars movies and animated series we had on hand. Pre just got me! with his dark saber and killer helmet, he was my man!
 Some of my other criteria was everything i did had to be scratch built. this was due to i had a few months off and the time to do it. ill start adding pics as soon i as i figure out how to add them here! lol
 I look forward to meeting all of you in the near future!

Zophar Ptay

• Ba'buir'ika
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: WIP for my pre vizla costume
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2016, 02:23 PM »
Hey Dave, glad you found your way here.     For pics, you will have to upload them to an image hosting site (I use photobucket)  and use the IMG tag to insert them here.

Late Crusader WIP

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2016, 02:27 PM »
Welcome to the Club, Faja! It'll be excellent to have a Pre Viszla running around with us, and you've got plenty of help from some good guys and gals nearby you.

For posting pictures, what you gotta do is upload them to an image hosting website, like Photobucket or Imgur, and copy+paste the [IMG] links into your post. Simple as that! Here's a link to a tutorial written up in The Lounge.

Looking forward to seeing what you've got! ;D

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Gnar-Gnar

• Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2016, 02:41 PM »
Man everyone beat me to the punch  :laugh:

anyways glad to see you start a build thread... or should it be mostly built thread? :laugh:

« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2016, 04:25 PM »
 Wow thanks all! im going to upload my pics right now

« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2016, 04:51 PM »

this is the start of my helmet. Got templates from dented helmet.
As you can see i was going boba fett at first. When i finally made my mind up on my Pre Vizla, I needed his helmet logo. I have no idea what im doing so i traced the logo right off my monitor onto paper. I trhen used a glue stick to do the stencil.Here is the bucket with painted logo.

« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2016, 05:07 PM »
 So to help anyone who is new at this, a few tips i leared: 1 Acrylic and enamal paints do not mix! I also sprayed acrylic clear coat on oil spary paint, and it messed up real good! My next build i will use only rattle cans. 2 SLOW DOWN! i had to redo so many things due to my level of 8 year old boy!
ok ill post the armor next!
So my shoulder pads i have realized are shaped wrong, My flak vest needs to be cut at the bottom, its also the wrong color i have just recently learned. Not sure if i can die it or not. It says a leather like material. the material is twill in this photo. Here is a better pic of the vest and wrong shaped shoulder pad. im going to recut them today.This is how it should be shaped.My chest plates are almost done.

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #8 on: Mar 30, 2016, 05:41 PM »
There you go! Pictures work! I'd suggest putting the picture links in between paragraphs, though, as they are breaking up the text and making it a little difficult to read ;)

So, first off, since you're building a Pre Vizsla I will link you over the his CRLs (Costume Requirements List). The tough part about doing a Canon character for your first build is that they are subject to more stringent requirements for you to qualify for Official Membership, so it is wise to have the CRLs for your character at hand to reference as you go along.

Now I'll comment on what you've got going so far :)

-Your helmet is amazing! Seriously, did you actually scratch build that?! It's one of the best I've seen! 8)
-You already noted that the shoulders aren't the right shape, but I'll also mention that the chest plates are going to have to be changed as well. See the pictures in the linked CRLs and compare.
-I think we'd also appreciate it if we could get a picture of you wearing the plates. With vest would be best, but without is fine as well. I have a feeling the plates may actually be too big for you so it would be good to put that up and let us have a look.
-As you found out, don't mix paint types! :P And, hopefully to save you more trouble, it's safest to stick to ONE BRAND of spray paint, too. I like Krylon, but Rustoleum is also popular. Just don't use both.

With how much you've done, and considering how much you would likely have to change to fit into the Pre Vizsla Reqs, do you think it might be worth doing just a random custom Death Watch member to start with, then upgrading/building a Vizsla with the skills you learn later? Not saying that to discourage you! Do what makes you happy! But I thought I'd mention that thought as it will probably be easier, and you will build up experience to do things even better the next time :)

« Reply #9 on: Mar 30, 2016, 07:47 PM »
 thanks for the input sermin! I do realize the character Pre vizla is tougher then say an a made up madalorian. I wonder if i just do A death watch solider if that would ease some of my burden? hmmm Well in the mean time i do have some pics of stuff i did today.

So took my old WOL template that i got from dented helmet, and redrew the curved lines. once i was happy, i transfered them to sintra. I have mainly been using the 1/8 SINTRA. I just use my olfa knife to cut it out.

Its now time to very gently heat up the plastic. PLEASE USE A RESPERATOR...THE FUMES ARE EXTREAMY TOXIC! (i have a sign shop a few blocks away, and he was happy to sell me his cut offs of sintra!)

Here they are all sanded and ready for paint. I used 80 grit first to round edges, then go from 150-400 smothing out all rough spots from my cut.

I then glue a temp holder on the back so i can hang it on my paint rack. I also fully clean it off with windex, then use a broad cloth.

First coat of paint!
 Ok wow! i know have crazy respect for all those who came before me! I had no idea it took this long to all theses pics! lol
oh and i also did my glove armor.

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2016, 08:03 PM »
Everything looks awesome! It looks like you're off to a great start :)  please do post a picture of you wearing the plates. Adjusting plate size is a lot easier before you paint and have to repaint. With a character like this, I'd drop a line to the app team and make sure you're on the right track :)

Gnar-Gnar

• Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #11 on: Mar 31, 2016, 01:08 AM »
Everything looks awesome! It looks like you're off to a great start :)  please do post a picture of you wearing the plates. Adjusting plate size is a lot easier before you paint and have to repaint. With a character like this, I'd drop a line to the app team and make sure you're on the right track :)

^everything she said. also like seeing the protective equipment while molding the sintra... way to many gnarly fumes in this hobby, and usually not enough precautions taken...

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #12 on: Mar 31, 2016, 03:16 AM »
thanks for the input sermin! I do realize the character Pre vizla is tougher then say an a made up madalorian. I wonder if i just do A death watch solider if that would ease some of my burden? hmmm Well in the mean time i do have some pics of stuff i did today.

Like I said, just throwing it out there as something to think about. We can definitely get you suited up as Vizsla, too! :D I'll also echo what GardenGeek said.

Good progress, keep it up!

« Reply #13 on: Mar 31, 2016, 04:14 PM »
 Ok more progress, and as requested, an armor fitting.

Thanks Gnar,Garden geek,Serim, and Zophar for your help!

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #14 on: Mar 31, 2016, 11:39 PM »
Looking good! Do you have one taken straight on? That will help the most with size and placement.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!