Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My First full Mando Armor! WIP

• 30 Replies

Draigas

• I am the storm.
Re: My First full Mando Armor! WIP
« Reply #25 on: Oct 08, 2016, 02:08 AM »
Wow digging the design.

« Reply #26 on: Oct 08, 2016, 11:31 AM »
Thanks! Its turning out as good as Im seeing it in my mind. The fun parts are still ahead. Finishing the pepakura build process obviously first... then hardening, smoothing and paint. Paint is the part Im most nervous about since I dont feel comfortable with my painting skills when it comes to multiple colors and weathering. But Im still going to give it a go. I can always repaint it if I DONT like it.

Fear not the Dark, but what dwells within it.

Bariikas Talgal

• Leave a legacy worthy of a song
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #27 on: Oct 08, 2016, 12:16 PM »
Great looking build thus far! I have yet to fully understand how Pepakura is made (other than it's just a lot like origami) so I will definitely be watching eagerly!

Retired MMCC: #1608
« Reply #28 on: Oct 08, 2016, 03:02 PM »
Pepakura is a mix between Origami and a wearable 3d puzzle. If youd like to know more I can explain it a bit more. Now... I do not do the design phase of pepakura cause I dont have the 3d program as of yet.

_________________________________________________ __________________________

>>>UPDATE<<<
_________________________________________________ __________________________

I had to change up gears to keep the progress moving forward on the set. So... I took a day and a half to start work on the primary weapon for my Mando...

Keep in mind...

Its in the VERY early and ROUGH stages, based on my own design but pulling hints from a few places as well. Its a LOOOOOOONG way from being any where near finished and needs LOTS of work and pieces added to it.

« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2016, 10:46 PM by EKreed » Logged

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #29 on: Oct 11, 2016, 04:23 PM »
Definitely post a sizing test before moving onto the hardening. Interesting design though.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #30 on: Jan 02, 2017, 07:33 PM »
I know its been a long times since I posted last but I have had some family issues over the holidays, But... in the last few days I have gotten several things done. I will also apologize in advance for the incoming pics.

The MAJOR part of what I have gotten done is FINALY starting the hardening process, now yes I know someone posted about doing a sizing before hand... Ive been sizing this stuff from the start while accounting for extra thickness for resin and fiberglass. And... if I do run into something of a sizing problem I can still modify it and glass it back together to fix the sizing issues.

I have also scrapped and restarted the weapon build for my armor just because I didn't like how it was going, and Ive gone back to figuring out the original design and how I can manage to pull it off instead of just settling for the one I had half designed off another option.

Heres a run down of what Ive gotten done thus far...

Hardening:
Helmet
Ear Caps
Shoulders
Stock for my Weapon

Redesigned:
Weapon
Ear Caps

Finished Assembly:
Under Jacket
Shin armor pieces

Now I get to continue moving forward on the armor parts so that I can get it finished to a point to fill and prime. After that... PAINT!

I have not gotten a great pic of the outter side of the helmet. I did start with the wrong resin and well... made MORE work for myself before I can call it finished hardening.

The above pic is of the ear caps  which are 95% or so done base hardening and the Shoulder bells.

Theres a decent pic of the inside of the resin hardening process of the bucket. If you look close enough you can see faint over run of the hardened green/blue resin jelly that I REALLY do not suggest using. Im basing that off of the fact that it doesn't really meld with the cardstock that I used for the pepakura form.

I don't remember if Ive posted these yet. Don't have a finished pic of the shin armor but heres a mostly complete side pic of them. I think it at least gives a good feel for the armor. The stock for the weapon is still hardening and curing so I don't have a great way to get a pic of it while its doing that on the shelf out of the way. But... it basically the EXACT same look as the previous linked pic of it, just not white any longer since its got a yellowish coat of resin now as well as been filled with expanding foam to fill the cavity. Will get a pic later this week.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!