Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My First full Mando Armor! WIP

• 30 Replies
My First full Mando Armor! WIP
« on: Mar 31, 2016, 08:26 PM »
Here are some starting pics of my armor. Right now its just the chest and part of a concept back im working on.

The Chest Thus far

The concept back Im working on.

Both pieces were damaged in a move a month ago so i have to do some minor repair, reshaping and remodification before i can resin them once i figure that all out but first they both need some parts added to them. I will get a pic of my helmet soon. Still working on details for it right now, other than that it looks like your nearly standard Modern Mando helmet, unfortunately its foam at the moment where the rest is in Paper but thats cause im working on details amongst other things for it right now (it wont be foam when im Done with it). Right now I still need to figure out the Visor, the clothing under the armor and well... obviously the rest of the armor, which i have plans for some but not all.

Fear not the Dark, but what dwells within it.

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: My First full Mando Armor! WIP
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2016, 09:45 PM »
This looks rather interesting.  Watching.  :D

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2016, 10:05 PM »
Its got some shaping that NEEDS done obviously... but im liking how its going so far.

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2016, 10:09 PM »
Yeah, vod.  This is a good, solid start.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2016, 10:17 PM »
Thanks Havelock. This is at least SOME of what id like to get approved when done. As you can see at the bottom points of the chest piece its ripped from getting crushed in moving. But thats a EASY fix on both parts. And will blend away nicely once its hardened, filled and painted.

Da'am Keldau

• Beskar Gett'se Clan - Montana
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2016, 10:34 PM »
Definitely going to be an interesting build. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2016, 11:36 PM »
Im gonna be working on the back more tomorrow. Once I get it updated i will update this thread! Im glad so far everyone is enjoying the look! I really like it. After i get the chest figured out im gonna move on to the shoulders and gauntlets, as long as i can figure out what to do with the gauntlets.

« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2016, 07:17 PM »
Greetings again.

Heres a small update to the back piece of my WIP Custom Mando Armor Back. Its finally starting to really shape out now.

Its just the base shape at the moment... Will be adding some elements after i get the base done before I call it ready for resin.

« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2016, 09:46 PM »
Heres an update to the back. Other than the edge trim that gives it the thickness... the back base is done and time to deck it out with the custom details and ready it for hardening. Thoughts so far? I know its rough. But its still in that phase of fine tuning before i get to hardening.

Havelock

« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2016, 06:00 PM »
Thoughts?  Do more, vod.  I wanna see what else you have planned!   :laugh:  Seriously, though, this is a very unique build, and I can't wait to see more.

« Reply #10 on: Apr 06, 2016, 07:04 PM »
Oh More is coming! For sure... Im going to get the details for adding to the back done next so its complete. Then on too the arms, then legs.

« Reply #11 on: Apr 08, 2016, 12:03 PM »
Well its a set back. Just did some test fits with the front and back to take some measurements and the chest piece is a bit on the small side. So Its time to scrap it and built a upscaled one. Its nothing Major. Just need to do it now. Ill get to that once the Back is finished since im working on it and the shoulders together. will post pics when able.

« Reply #12 on: Apr 09, 2016, 04:30 PM »
Well its a small update but its still an update. Its Not the chest armor since i Have YET to start on resizing it. But It is the shoulder armor Im working on. No, its not in proper shape yet, its been flattened out a lot... and will need a lot of working to get it right.

If you can see the straight edges at the top of the bell, those are supposed to be 90 degree (or near it) lines and will be once i get it shaped fully. Yes. I did make a few custom panels to fill in parts that I wanted to give it the look Im going for, hinse the orange (even though it looks red on my screen) words and markings.

« Reply #13 on: Apr 14, 2016, 01:11 PM »
Thanks for all the help so far! I really needed the encouragement to keep going! Heres a update to the chest plate.

I recently got it upsized to a point i like the length top to bottom. But I cant change the size side to side without changing the top, pepakura designer doesnt allow to do that on a single axis basis sadly. SO! Next option! Cut, and make custom insert panels to make the project wider to fit my chest! Yes I know the ab panel is upside down at the moment but its how it got tossed down there! The open areas to the side of the chest medallion that arent filled in yet are going to get a custom set of Vents, Or at least im hoping thats how its going to work out. I didnt redo the shoulder clasps because i REALLY liked the size of them, though i might need to add a lil too them to make them cover a bit more since I wont have the Gorget with this design...

The Ab panel is going to have to be widened as much as the chest. I just havent gotten the panels done for it just yet. Working on that next. Still trying to figure out the vents Im making by hand right now.

« Reply #14 on: Apr 15, 2016, 07:50 PM »
Another SMALL update to the Armor! This time its the modded and extended Abs section.

Like the chest. I got it to a width I liked I just had to extend it to fit me... being 6'3'' tall and about 245 lbs. I had to fix a bit of it. So heres the mostly completed abs section.

I might still add a little to the sides to pull it around each side of the body a bit more but i havent decided on that as of yet. I figure i will wait to get the chest and back done to see how they fit together in a test fitting.

Havelock

« Reply #15 on: Apr 15, 2016, 10:16 PM »
Keep it up, vod.   :)

« Reply #16 on: Apr 15, 2016, 10:39 PM »
Thanks Havelock! Im doing just that. Most of this work has been happened over the last few days. Im just trying to figure out the chest vents that Im wanting to do. Just going to take time on that. But im about to get the final pieces around that area done so that i can then at least figure the vents out easier.

« Reply #17 on: Apr 19, 2016, 11:10 AM »
Just a small preview of the gauntlets (Kom'rk?) that Im working on. No its not fully assembled. But its a good base start. This side, left arm, will have a small screen type addition and a few buttons to maneuver the screen (non functional for the time being) and the other side is being worked on based on the same design. It will have the weapons system of some sort that Im still working on.

Now to get to finishing the other arm and figuring out how to split it to be able to get it on.

Havelock

« Reply #18 on: Apr 19, 2016, 07:13 PM »
Good luck with that!   :laugh:  Nice work again. 

« Reply #19 on: Apr 19, 2016, 09:39 PM »
Thanks Havelock. Im doing what i can with what i got.

« Reply #20 on: Apr 28, 2016, 08:28 PM »
I know I havent updated in a while. But thats cause things have gotten busy. I have made progress on the armor but its slow going since im having to take 2 pieces of armor and mod them into one. But on the BRIGHTER side of things. I have started the layout of the base fabric side of the armor. I have purchased the fabric and pattern to make the coat part of this custom armor, the part this armor is going to be attached too. NOW... to get it adjusted for my design, attach it to the fabric, cut out all the wonderful pieces, and get to sewing and hope it comes out like I forsee it in my head!

Joy... just a SMALL bit of a daunting task since its been oh.... 10 years since i REALLY last sat down at a sewing machine. Lets see how this turns out. At least this time Ive got a pattern that I DIDNT have to scale from old, old, old... OLD world designs to new world sizes and dimensions. WOOHOO!

As soon as I get the cuttings done... Ill post something with pics envolved!

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2016, 06:37 PM »
Its been a while... heres a small update to my mando. Its far from done, pep speaking, but its coming along.

It still has a LOT of work to be done. LOTS of accessories. LOTS of details. And of course my custom antenna.

And a question about the Antenna. Does it state that I have to have the antenna to get the helmet approved? Cause im not sure I like the look of the antenna/eye piece from the Jango / Boba helmet. But I think I might want something of a antenna. Just not sure.

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 10:22 PM »
Heres a small update on the armor. Ive had to stop working on it as much because of job restraints. I am going to have to wait to work on the cloth parts of the gear set until I can find a place that I can layout the patterns on the cloth Ive chosen. A tiny slow down, but not one that is a real hindrance of any sort at this time.

I didnt like the ear "caps" as they looked alone. So i merged them with the original ear pieces that i made that are 20% larger when i was trying to scale the helmet, so it actually helps fill the gap that I needed since i adjusted the helmet another way after the initial build phase.

The rectangular holes in each "cap" will have some kind of screen or light in it as well as 2 antenna coming out of the top "cap" section. I will get a picture of that when i get to that point.

« Reply #23 on: Oct 07, 2016, 12:07 AM »
Ok... I think its been WAY too long since I last updated. So... heres a mass update.

First off... Ive moved a time or two and had a few set backs, like parts of the armor getting crushed and near loss crushing of the helmet that ive been able to save.

Here is my set as it sits with repairs, re-enforcements and updates. Ive also got the jacket sewn together I just cant seem to find the picture of it I had taken and not about to disturb those sleeping family members to get the jacket and take more pics.

Ive also started on the weapons set but dont have pictures of them yet since I just started them tonight. Any how... Ive got LOTS to do still but Im making progress.

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #24 on: Oct 07, 2016, 11:39 AM »
before you start putting resin on things, make sure to post pictures of the pieces somehow held on you to make sure everything sits right. Dig the design though.

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!