Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Coder's build: Armor painting begins

• 21 Replies

Coder

Coder's build: Armor painting begins
« on: Apr 11, 2016, 08:33 PM »
Gonna be making a pilot mando with a one piece chest/backplate. Pics coming soon.

Real soon

« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 01:12 PM by Coder » Logged

Jaing

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: Pilot WIP: Enclosed chest piece
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2016, 08:49 PM »
I have combined your two previous posts. Please refrain from double posting, posting twice in a row, it is actually against the forum rules

Coder

« Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2016, 08:54 PM »
I have combined your two previous posts. Please refrain from double posting, posting twice in a row, it is actually against the forum rules
My bad

Coder

« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2016, 07:41 PM »
Made a little progress today. Managed to get the plates finalized so tape isn't holding themy together....well here it is

Base mold

Plates attached

The other side

Wearing it now that it's sturdy

Ab plate will slide freely underneath to allow mobility

UPDATE:
Added base form for life support...

« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2016, 10:15 PM by Coder » Logged

Malakier Vhett

• 'The Craziest Merc'
  • No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 50 official invasions. Award for 75 official invasions. Celebration Anaheim 2022
« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2016, 11:03 PM »
Digging the basic concept, but don't forget to work in something to make it more instantly recognizeable as mandalorian. Maybe add trauma plates in the shape of Fett plates on your chest.

Armor does not make a Mandalorian. The armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.

Coder

« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2016, 09:46 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try my best but there's not going to be much room on the front chest plate.

So I made small progress today....the beginnings of the back plate!

Ain't no flight suit like a free flight suit....some times it pays to be military....

Coder

« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2016, 07:11 PM »
It's been a really slow weekend...not much progress but a little.
Worked on the back plate a bit.

Coder

« Reply #7 on: Apr 21, 2016, 08:34 PM »
Started working on a primary kit as well.

I need advice on the chest plate size. I know the collar needs a trim and my spacing is wack but how about  the chest. I really can't tell on myself and need fresh eyes... thanks

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #8 on: Apr 21, 2016, 08:59 PM »
Collar could do with a trim in the centre to pull the edges in closer to your neck rather than on the outside.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Coder

« Reply #9 on: Apr 21, 2016, 09:22 PM »
Collar could do with a trim in the centre to pull the edges in closer to your neck rather than on the outside.

Gotcha...I was going to completely redo the collar anyway. Also took just a smidgen off of the chest plates and it fells exponentially better

Teilyr Farsel

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 267th Rapid Assault 40+ hrs of charity work recorded Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #10 on: Apr 23, 2016, 03:53 PM »
Watching with interest! Looking forward to seeing it come together.

Coder

« Reply #11 on: Apr 26, 2016, 04:56 PM »
Front plates are now primed and metally!!!

I will arrive at the gates of the Manda. I will fly eternal! SHINY AND CHROME!

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #12 on: Apr 27, 2016, 10:37 AM »
Looking really solid there Vod! keep up the good work

Coder

Coder's build
« Reply #13 on: Apr 28, 2016, 09:12 PM »
Could I get a quick size check on my back?  The sides are fine but I can't tell about the overall size. Thanks...

Edit: also plate reusability is a wonderful thing  8)
Gotta protect them giblets

« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2016, 10:00 PM by Coder » Logged

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Coder's build: backplate size check
« Reply #14 on: Apr 29, 2016, 05:47 AM »
Length is good, might be a bit wide over the shoulders and behind the arms. Same way you test the front plates - roll your arms backwards, if your arms shifting pushes the backplate away from your back then you could do with trimming some off. And secondly, use the collar plate to judge the width of the top tabs over the shoulder as the two should match up - I tend to wait till they're fixed in place before doing that trim just to ensure they stay matched.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Coder

« Reply #15 on: Apr 30, 2016, 10:00 AM »
Not much of an update.

Got most plates primed and shiny. Does any one have a great tutorial for knees?

Naran Baatar

• "The Khan"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions 267th Rapid Assault
« Reply #16 on: Apr 30, 2016, 10:08 AM »
Knees are pretty straightforward, that is if you don't want the knee darts. And even doing knee darts isn't that bad

The basic knee however you just cut out the main plate and shape it just like any other plate. Granted with knees it is good to go for a couple of systems to keep them in place, the elastic strap around the back comboed with snaps or velcro will keep them in place and help to stop them from wandering off to weird places as you walk around.

Coder

Re: Coder's build: we have knees!
« Reply #17 on: Apr 30, 2016, 02:06 PM »
So I attempted to make some knees... they are a little warped but with the damage I'm going to add they should be fine. ;D

Templates traced

KNEEVENGERS ASSEMBLE!!!

Any one have good tips on how to hide clamshell joints?

« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2016, 02:17 PM by Coder » Logged

Coder

Re: Coder's build: we have knees!
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 11:51 AM »
Wow pushed to page 4....yall have been busy. Well here's a taste of what my armor will look like!

Fresh paint....hrrrrrrgn....

And the helmet...

Kris Jasra

Re: Coder's build: Armor painting begins
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2016, 04:07 PM »
Might need to sand down the shoulder plates a little more, that looks like patches of unsanded bondo.

Coder

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2016, 04:24 PM »
It is.... but there is a method to the madness.... ;)
Also it's supisingly thin...5 min of sanding and I lose the texture I want. I need to mount them so I can get the flow right...

« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 04:47 PM by Coder » Logged

Coder

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 08:07 AM »
Sorry for the double post but I have an update I promise....
Added a significant amount of grime last night

Still need to work on the rust a bit

Needs a touch more on this one..

Really proud of the grime on this piece...

Need more grime up around the top and bottom to get it to match the neck...

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!