Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Pymaria's WIP

• 52 Replies

Pymaria

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions
Pymaria's WIP
« on: Apr 15, 2016, 03:16 PM »
This is my first build! I'm getting help from a mando and making a kit side by side with my boyfriend. So if you see any blue plastic in the pictures it's his and not mine. But I'm really excited to start making this! I hope to have it done fairly soon.

This is the color scheme I decided to go with. I have a black flight suit made from scrubs and I hope to have black, pink, white and possibly also grey.

Last night I decided to do some sketches of my armor to get a couple ideas of what it would look like. I'm still trying to figure out the design on the plates though. I don't think I want to do just a bunch of straight lines.

This week I also started cutting and shaping my plates. These aren't all of them. Just the ones I had at the moment.

I had help shaping my first thigh plate. We didn't want to just do a flat plate, so we tried to make it sit closer to me.

Then I got to do the other thigh and some of my other armor. I also started work on my weapon.

Please let me know if I should reconsider or change something!

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Pymaria's WIP
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2016, 03:46 PM »
Template and cut the collar and shape downwards. So start with the collar then space the breast plates to that. If you start with the breast plates then you may find you've got them in the wrong place (it's a common mistake to get them too low down) and end up with a huge oversized collar to try and gap fill and the ab sitting under all your belts because it's too low.

Love the shaping on that thigh though, nicely 3D.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2016, 10:10 PM »
You're off to a great start, vod.  Very nice.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?

Pymaria

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2016, 10:56 PM »
Thanks for the idea. I'll start on that soon.

Pymaria

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2016, 02:10 AM »
I worked on my vest today. I got some black duck fabric from Joann's and this pattern for a dress with a vest like appearance.

My grandpa helped teach me how to read a pattern and gave me tips on how to create the area for my shoulder plate.

So now I just need to sew these up. It's going to close in the back with velcro. I know it's a little long now, but I can always take off fabric later when I fit it to myself.

Havelock

• Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2016, 01:02 PM »
Nice.  Good start, vod. 

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett

Pymaria

« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2016, 07:51 PM »
I went to my clan armor party and met a lot of awesome and helpful people! I'm super excited to be part of such a group of fun and talented people.

And now back to my work. With a lot of help yesterday I was able to get my gauntlets and collar shaped. Now I just need to attach the piano hinges and do the final touches to the shaping of the gauntlets.

We also tried hand shaping a chest plate and it didn't turn out as well as we wanted. So we will be using other methods to try to get the cupped shape I want.

I finally got an idea for my weapon! This is the basic styling of it.

Today I decided to lay out the components I have to see how they looked together. I am using the scarf at the top instead of a neck seal. I wanted a little more of a girly touch and it doesn't show my neck with a bucket on....so yay!

I seam ripped several pockets and labels off my flight suit and left a few holes in the pants. Could I make that into weathering or should I look into getting new pants? Also, I have side pockets pockets on these pants, are those okay? If not I was thinking of trying to sew them shut.

Any help would be appreciated!

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 17, 2016, 10:48 PM »
Maybe for the pants you could use some super obvious thread to stitch it together to make it looked lived in and repaired without actually being holey. I'm not sure if holes in the flight suit would fly. I really love your colors :)

Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Pymaria

« Reply #8 on: Apr 17, 2016, 11:23 PM »
Maybe for the pants you could use some super obvious thread to stitch it together to make it looked lived in and repaired without actually being holey. I'm not sure if holes in the flight suit would fly. I really love your colors :)

Thank you! That's a great suggestion and I'll try that soon.

I decided to plan out my paint for my armor and this is it.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #9 on: Apr 18, 2016, 05:11 AM »
That's exactly what I've done to my flightsuit after I ripped it :P I have the brightest green embroidery thread on a black flightsuit holding it together now.
With the pockets - how obvious are they is the main question. If they stay tightly closed then no need to deal with them since they have no zip. If they have a tendency to gape open then you'll need to sew them closed.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Pymaria

« Reply #10 on: Apr 19, 2016, 12:55 AM »
I shaped my chest playes all by myself and by hand today! I'm super proud of myself and what I can accomplish after only a week or work.

I used the the cap of a helium tank to give it a cupped look.

I also did my boot covers and my knees today. So as of now I have no more plates to shape from scratch, only last minute adjustments.

Pymaria

« Reply #11 on: Apr 21, 2016, 06:07 PM »
After a week and a half of working on this I have all of my plates cut and shaped. A few of them need tweaking, but next step is painting!

Havelock

« Reply #12 on: Apr 21, 2016, 06:36 PM »
Great work, vod.  Keep it up.

Kryamla Redalur

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Apr 21, 2016, 09:28 PM »
Looking great! :)  I don't recall, did you tape your plates on you to see if they fit properly?

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Pymaria

« Reply #14 on: Apr 21, 2016, 10:01 PM »
Looking great! :)  I don't recall, did you tape your plates on you to see if they fit properly?

I did not yet. I should be doing it soon though. I just did all the last minute adjustments

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #15 on: Apr 21, 2016, 11:48 PM »

I did not yet. I should be doing it soon though. I just did all the last minute adjustments

Fantastic :)

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Havelock

« Reply #16 on: Apr 22, 2016, 12:10 AM »
Cool.  Looking forward to seeing pictures of your kit.

Vheh Zoller

• The One Armed Merc
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #17 on: Apr 22, 2016, 10:55 AM »
Love it vod! I can't wait to see more

Vheh's Facebook   |    The One Armed Merc    |   JesCosplay

MMCC: #1080, M5 #37, EMTS #115,G.O.M.O.L # 007, P.M.S. #2, QMU#039, Kilted Mando Brigade Member #33

Pymaria

« Reply #18 on: Apr 23, 2016, 07:30 PM »
I got some soft parts done! I sewed my vest together yesterday.
This is the first time I tried it on. It is a little baggy on the sides and needs refinement.

This is the second time with refinement and I took it in on the sides. I still need to make my flaps for the shoulder armor though. Dont mind the fold in the middle. Once I have my collar on it, it will go away.

I decided to try on all my other soft parts with it!

I'm using the scarf around my neck instead of a neck seal. I've already checked to make sure that I can't see any skin with it and the helmet on. So I hope this will be okay.

My gun is also coming along nicely!

Please let me know if I should change or move or fix anything!

Naritir Ka'ra

• If at first you don't succeed... reload.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #19 on: Apr 23, 2016, 08:30 PM »
Wow... you are doing amazing! And so quickly!!! Keep it up, vod!!

MMCC #1755 | Invasions: 10
BOMB #57 | PMS #8 | MLCS #2 | WB #13 | VABS | MA #175 | MACK #41 | MTS #108 | MARS #66 | GOMOL #28 | MirShebs #16 | Wrang #3

I'll sign autographs, after the smoke clears.
Mk01 OM 4/5/17
F: naritir T: @naritir_kara IG: naritir
Story

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #20 on: Apr 23, 2016, 10:04 PM »
Looking great :) I used a scarf (granted I do have a neck seal too) so I think you should be okay without an actual neck seal

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Ceryc Bevik

« Reply #21 on: Apr 26, 2016, 12:00 AM »
All of this looks great. I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished kit!

OM: #1454
Manda'galaar Clan

Pymaria

« Reply #22 on: Apr 29, 2016, 10:58 PM »
I made more progress on my kit this week! I put two darts in my vest to pull it closer to my waist and finally mapped out my plates.

I also primed all my plates and did a coat of silver on some.

And my gun and gauntlets are coming out great!

More work this weekend!

Pymaria

« Reply #23 on: Apr 30, 2016, 11:30 PM »
Today I got all my plates silvered and I started color too!

Then I decided it was a sewing day! 

I made my cape.

And I also learned just how much I hate sewing velcro on pants....

But that is finally done! It's starting to look like a kit and not just a bunch of random parts!

Havelock

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2016, 09:02 PM »
Awesome.  I'm glad to see you had such a productive day, vod.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!