Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Let's start building a Mando (new here and first time W.I.P) - Approved :D:D

• 314 Replies
Re: Let's start building a Mando (new here and first time W.I.P)
« Reply #15 on: Jun 20, 2016, 09:55 PM »
If the magnets are strong enough, they'll work well. I use both velcro and magnets on my kit.
I really like the white armour idea vod! It looks awesome.
I know if you join the Assassin brigade, it is recommended that you have dark colours to blend in better, but I do not know if Snipers are required to blend in.
It looks good so far.

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Boba and Jango 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017 Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #16 on: Jun 20, 2016, 10:46 PM »
I use velcro for both of kits armor to vest attachment.  I get the industrial strength stuff with the adhesive on the back.  My Ver'alor was kind enough to sew it into my vest using fishing line. 

Some people use bolts, but I'm not that quite precise!   :laugh:

Also, white looks good, when it's weathered!

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Ajoliveira

• Proud Member of the Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club
  • Awards 40% increase or more 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #17 on: Jun 20, 2016, 11:17 PM »
Also, white looks good, when it's weathered!

Mi'ix vod, are you refering weathered velco, like knees or shins?  ;D
Btw, I've been thinking on apply battle damage to my kit (I'm aware that's a bit difficult when pre-apps  :laugh:) but for what I've seen in another wip's, people do it on 6mm sintra, and mine is 3mm, so I think I must be extra carefull to not damage the intregrety of the piece  ???
But, you or anyone can point me some tutorials for applying damage?
I think I've seen a few, but they were made when painting the armor, 3/4/5 layers, i believe  :laugh:
But carving on pvc, especialy when mine is 3mm, wow, i don't wanna damage what i've done so far.. :/
Ty  ;D

KOVA #0022 | M.A.R.S #52 | M.V.S #52

Ajoliveira

« Reply #18 on: Jun 20, 2016, 11:27 PM »
If the magnets are strong enough, they'll work well. I use both velcro and magnets on my kit.
I really like the white armour idea vod! It looks awesome.
I know if you join the Assassin brigade, it is recommended that you have dark colours to blend in better, but I do not know if Snipers are required to blend in.
It looks good so far.

Hi vod, ty for the feed-back PhantonBlade  ;D
Appreciated  ;D
Well, i don't know if I'm worrying to much with colour patterns or not, but lately I've been thinkg a lot :/
I'm really focus on applying to Brigades that I don't wanna get dissapointed, mess up my kit, etc etc... ???
First, the entire kit completed, than... the rest lol  :laugh:
Ty

Mi'ix

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Boba and Jango 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017 Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member
« Reply #19 on: Jun 21, 2016, 01:27 AM »
Careful with the double posting, vod. That'll get you on the bad list with the tech team pretty quick. In the future, just go back and modify your original post and merge the second posting into the first.

Ha, I was actually referring to your armor concept where you have white plates. If you go that route, they'll dirty up nicely.

As for battle damage I just added a few dents and scrapes with my dremel. A couple light passes will do.  Unless you really press with your tool, you should be ok keeping the plate intact, minus your intended damage of course.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS 65041

Jaing

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #20 on: Jun 21, 2016, 01:30 AM »
Careful with the double posting, vod. That'll get you on the bad list with the tech team pretty quick. In the future, just go back and modify your original post and merge the second posting into the first.

This. Double posting is against the forum rules.

Ajoliveira

« Reply #21 on: Jun 22, 2016, 06:06 PM »
This. Double posting is against the forum rules.

Wow, I'm truly sorry, didn't realized  :-X
Won't happen again, sorry :(

Yesterday and today I have been working on knees, my hole set is Jango Templates but I'm not going for Jango, I'm doing a "normal costum" Mando :)
For example, can I use Boba Fett knees (unmodifed) on my Mando? Or can I design knees by hand and build them?
I'm writting this because I look the templates I have, and after cutting them and assembled, I think I didn't "love" them, the shape, i didnt really "fell in love for them", sorry :$:$
In the moment I think if I do by sketch, the knees may be "better", I don't know :$:$

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #22 on: Jun 22, 2016, 07:17 PM »
There are a few different varieties of knees available for modern builds, if you look through, you have the Fett style, Galaxies, Legacy (shin/knee combined) CW cartoon. Try and use one/more of those as your basis for custom designing.

If you're having no leg armour (like Boba) then try not to make your knees tiny. Smaller sized knees can work but only with heavier shin and thigh armour so that the legs still look well covered and not bare.

Also when designing, do not use any other armour template. Shoulders are not knees. Upside-down shoulders are still not knees... :P

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #23 on: Jun 22, 2016, 07:18 PM »
Feel free to mix and match Boba and Jango templates as they're both modern era. Knee designs vary widely and many people do completely custom knees. You may also see some individuals use shin/knee combo, clone knees, etc.  For example, I'm largely using Jango templates for my legs, however I'm using Boba knees.

And don't worry too much about the double posting, just try not to do it again.  If you want to update, just edit the previous post if no one has replied since you updated, or just wait 48 hours and post again (I think it's 48 hours).

Ajoliveira

« Reply #24 on: Jul 01, 2016, 01:52 PM »
Update - 01-07-2016

(Hope this won't be considered double-posting, so sorry about it)

Hi everyone  :D

In the last few days I was able to work on the knees, and so far the result is this:

(I was a quick shot, sorry  :laugh:)

A few questions:
1 - The size is ok? I think it fit well...
2 - I'm working with sintra, so the best way to attacht this? Velcro or snaps?
3 - Can I use knees without the jig part? :S
4 - This knees are Boba Fett and I'm working with Jango Templates... :S Can I also try and use Death Watch, for example? :S

I saw this online and just loved it  ;D
May I use them?  :-[

Ty in advance and have a nice weekend  ;D

Ajoliveira

« Reply #25 on: Jul 06, 2016, 11:36 PM »
Update - 06-07-2016

Yesterday I bought this gloves, 12.00:

And today I as able to do the armor for them  ;D

Question: Those 2 fingers, should I leave them like it is or maybe paint them in black? :S

In the next few day I'm gonna post upper armor + vest   ;D

« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2016, 11:45 PM by Ajoliveira » Logged

Mi'ix

« Reply #26 on: Jul 07, 2016, 08:18 AM »
Gloves look good.  I would leave them as they are so you don't get more complicated with paint than you have to.

The plates on the top of the gloves look a bit too bit.  Just a little trim and you'll be there.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS 65041

Reginmund

• Gar taldin ni jaonyc; gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la
« Reply #27 on: Jul 07, 2016, 11:56 AM »
Update - 01-07-2016
I saw this online and just loved it  ;D
May I use them?  :-[

I would say that the holster is acceptable based on other recent questions people have asked. I do know that some have used Velcro to attach small pieces of "armor" to cover the buckles. You will also need to weather the gear for sure. If you want an official answer I would go to the Q&A forum and fill out the question form found here.

C.A. #67 | M.A. #160 | M.A.D. #69 | M.A.R.S. #64 |M.L.C.S. #32 | VABS

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #28 on: Jul 07, 2016, 05:26 PM »
They are acceptable providing any velcro or elastic is completely hidden. We do prefer leather over tac gear, however as said above, adding plates and such can be a great alternative to help make an earthy looking holster just that little bit more star warsy

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Ajoliveira

« Reply #29 on: Aug 02, 2016, 08:35 AM »
Update - 02-08-2016

After a week on holydays with gf, got my head clean, focus and prepared to move foward on my building  ;D

I know I havent done much, specially when making my vest is becoming a problem, resized a couple of times, building from scratch 2 times and still havent done it right  :'(

Nevertheless, I got 2 shippements received:

Westar from Nirob

Chest Display from Fi-8015

Purchased this yesterday near home

Any comments appreciaded, especially for the belt and holsters, I think it's ok, but will be happy to have any feed-back on these  :-[
Ty in advance  ;D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!