Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Let's start building a Mando (new here and first time W.I.P) - Approved :D:D

• 314 Replies

Ajoliveira

• Proud Member of the Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more 15+ clan level invasions
Update - 19-08-2016

Helmet - Mandalorian Blank Helmet by Lonewolf Customs - Check
Flight Suit - Check
Vest - Check
Sash - Check
Kama - Check
Belt + Holster - Swiss Bandolier | Leg Holster Grenade Check (Knife holster and westar holster are now wip)
Upper Armor - Check
Lower Armor - Thights check | Cod check | Shins and Knees by The Mandalorian Arsenal - Check
Boba Fett ROTJ Gaunts - by Mac Cougar | Rav Bralor Fett 3D by April Storm Check/i]
Gloves + Armor - Check
Boots + Armor- Check

Electronics - Blue Chest Display by Fi-Buurenaar

Weapons:

Westar by Nirob Shysa | Verp - by Marco Tamissa 501st PT | 2 Westar 35 3D Printed (wip) | Combat Knife (wip)

Grenades:

- 4 Death Trooper Grenades (wip)
- 2 Thermal Detonator 3D Printed Check

_________________________________________________ _________________________________________________ _________________

Hi everyone, greetings from Portugal,

I have registered here a few months ago and I spent a few months (+2) thinking and planning my future Mando  ;D
I realized that my regional clan (Ra-Ruul Clan) as ended, so unfortunatly I have no Portuguese mates to help me in this task  :'( but hoppefully I believe I will also have your advice, opinions and tips in this jorney :)

Have already bought Expanded PVC 3 mm, like on this photos:

I planned building a Medium (remotly thinking of even Heavy, but for now, Medium lol  :laugh:) so already downloaded Jango Templates, sizes L and XL and printed them in paper :) what do you think?

Now, I'm cutting them, so when it's over, I'll post photos here  :D

I'm very thrilled and happy about building a Mando  ;D
Thank you in advance  :D

« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2018, 03:34 PM by Ajoliveira » Logged

KOVA #0022 | M.A.R.S #52 | M.V.S #52

Ajoliveira

Re: Let's start building a Mando (new here and first time W.I.P)
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2016, 03:45 PM »
Update - 28-05-2016

Hi vods,
So, after cutting all the templates, I had a hard task, gluing myself and see how the templates matches my body...  :laugh:

Here are the results:

This one is to see how the chest armor was...

The collar seens ok i think, but i dont know how to place it, if more above or not...

Ps.: I know the space necessary between plates, max 1 inch and 1/2 also :) but i placed the templates all by miself so the pieces may have more 1 inch of space between  :laugh:

So, after this, is ok to go foward and apply the templates on sintra? what do you think?
Every opinion and feed-back i will appreciate :)

Best regards vods

« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2016, 03:50 PM by Ajoliveira » Logged

Reyn Vok'chi

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2016, 06:13 PM »
It is better to take the photos with your arms down but I can tell you need a size down as those plates are too big for you.

Ajoliveira

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2016, 06:35 PM »
It is better to take the photos with your arms down but I can tell you need a size down as those plates are too big for you.

Thank you so much for the feed-back  ;D

In fact, these are XL templates but also printed the L ones...
The XL templates on this photos, I think were badly placed, glued myself alone lol  :laugh: and also they are not "bended" like the final shape...
Should I really try the XL and in the final, really see if they are to big or fit 100%? Or it's trowing money away?
I will cut the L ones and compare both :D

ty

Ajoliveira

« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2016, 08:10 PM »
So, I remade the size of armor and begin with Shoulder Pieces:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVWM4Te1HzM this is kinda funny :laugh:

I think the size is ok   ;D

What I really dont know is where to place them  :laugh: if in this pics the shoulder is well placed or not...

Really happy to see any feed-back and opinions :)

« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2016, 03:04 PM by Ajoliveira » Logged

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 06:22 AM »
The size looks right on that. You may need to shift them about an inch down your arm to give the collar room. But you'll know when the rest of the plates are in place.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 10:12 PM »
Looks pretty good.  My only concern, and Kris can probably expand on this, is how much of your deltoid is being covered by your current placement.  Here's the CRL for shoulder armor as far as the modern kit goes.  I personally think you'd be OK.  It doesn't appear as though the placement would affect your range of movement, but you'll definitely be wider, meaning more bumping into stuff as you get used to being in armor.  If you move them over slightly and angle them downward you'll bump into less stuff, but if you're into the straight out look by all means go for it.

As far as the gap between collar and shoulder plate, I've got an inch and change between my collar plate and shoulder plate, so I fill the gap with trophies and what not.   

Shoulder armor:

Are not required to be Fett style.
    Must sit above the bicep muscle and cover the deltoid area.
    The top edge of the plate can either be lined up with the shoulder seam or sit slightly above it.
    Double plates are acceptable.

If you've got your chest pieces cut, let's see a picture of how that lines up with your collar plate, but judging by your previous pictures you've already taken that into account with your templates.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 10:26 PM by Mix » Logged
Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 05:24 AM »
Two options there. Either, make another set of shoulders and place the top edge on the seam where your t-shirt is and leave that set where they are.
Or shift the pair you have now down so the top edge is not overlapping the collar (I think that should be about on the seam of your shirt)

As I said, it's hard to place the shoulders without the collar in place, with that done it's much easier to see how far they need to shift.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Ajoliveira

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 08:25 PM »
Update - 15-05-2016

So, finally bought my suit , 40.00€ XL size (sh*t i'm fat) ;D

two way zipper, for the "needs" ahah  :laugh:

About the pockets in the chest, the vest will cover them  :laugh:
In the bottom of the legs, i need to cut it 2/3 inc  :laugh:
I think it's not baggy or something, it fits well i think  :D
If anyone could tell me something about it, if it's ok, approvable, etc etc, i will appreciate  ;D  ???  :D

Update - 26-05-2016

So, finally started my vest with my gf help:

making slow progress  :laugh:

While she's sewing my vest (or not  ;D), it's a nice time to sand  :laugh:
The sanding is ok, not so much good, ...? any tips appreciated  ;D
Ty in advance

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 02:49 PM by Ajoliveira » Logged

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 12:01 AM »
So far so good! Those first templates were definitely big on you. I would definitely post pics of your new templates before cutting any more out. You'll want to line the bottom corners of the collar to the top corners of the collar, and the bottom tips of the chest plates with the top corner of the ab plate wings to get the placement just right. The plates shouldn't have to wrap around you at all when the size is right, the should sit on the front of your torso and not hang off the sides. The shoulder size does look good though, just move them down to the deltoid. Use Boba and Jango pictures for reference on where to place them. The flight suit looks like a great fit, that should do just fine!

Keep it up vod! You're doing great so far. Keep posting pics and asking questions and we'll get you there =)

Ajoliveira

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 11:26 PM »
So far so good! Those first templates were definitely big on you. I would definitely post pics of your new templates before cutting any more out. You'll want to line the bottom corners of the collar to the top corners of the collar, and the bottom tips of the chest plates with the top corner of the ab plate wings to get the placement just right. The plates shouldn't have to wrap around you at all when the size is right, the should sit on the front of your torso and not hang off the sides. The shoulder size does look good though, just move them down to the deltoid. Use Boba and Jango pictures for reference on where to place them. The flight suit looks like a great fit, that should do just fine!

Keep it up vod! You're doing great so far. Keep posting pics and asking questions and we'll get you there =)

Ty so much for the reply  ;D
Lately I havent much time to do this, but today just got 2h and started making my vest and a sanding test in one plate  ;D
I think the sanding is good, ok, smooth, but any tips/advice will be appreciated of course  ;D
Ty all  ;D

Ajoliveira

« Reply #11 on: Jun 12, 2016, 03:21 PM »
Update - 12-06-2016

After a few days without much time, finally i've done progress  ;D

Inicially, i was to bought this boots:

20.00€ but they were to heavy, wow :o
So, decided to bought this:

I suppose this is not gonna be a problem if i leave them... What do you say? (Never the less, in last case, i can cut them :laugh:)
- Gonna do 2 or 3 pieces of armor for them, for the back and front;
- Gonna cut brand logo and cut those red and blue lines with a cissor;
- Do I need to paint the gray lines of the boots or can i leave them? I really dont know...

Vest almost finnished, the only thing i will do is fix the shoulder part, do a little cut and sew again  ;D
have a nice weekend guys  :laugh: ;D

« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2016, 03:27 PM by Ajoliveira » Logged

Kris Jasra

« Reply #12 on: Jun 12, 2016, 03:37 PM »
The stitching on the boots will be fine, just the logo that really has to go.

Mi'ix

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #13 on: Jun 12, 2016, 03:38 PM »
Boots look good to me. You already know you have to cut off the logo. The gray stitching shouldn't be a problem and the buckles should work nicely.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Ajoliveira

« Reply #14 on: Jun 20, 2016, 07:52 PM »
Update - 20-06-2016

Hi vods Kris and Mi'ix  ;D

Ty so much for the replies  ;D
I think for now I have more spare time, so I will do my best to keep my building and my post upgraded  :D

For a few minutes, i was able to do this for the first time and i think i wanna do like this 90.00% lool  ;D :laugh:

Now I have been thinking:
Hoppefully in the future, I will try to join Brigades and I have been checking also the BRL's, but for know my "main concern" are the colors of my flight suit (navy / dark blue) and the armor set colors (maybe mixing red/black/white)... I know i can't see Brigades Forum and wips of vods and more info, cause they are under sigile (obviusly lol  :laugh:)
So, despite of this, is possible anyome enlighten me if I go throw this colors scheme (like mandomaker pics), I can join assult or sniper? Or they required specific colors?

So far I got this, all sanded, just need to shape chest, diamond (?) and belly armor, shoulders and collar are shaped and i think is fitting well  ;D

In a few days i will be able to take a pic with this set, vest and flight suit  :D

One question:
- For attaching, I have velcro at home but I'm thinking on buying earth magnets on ebay lol
What do you think?

Ty  ;D

« Reply #15 on: Jun 20, 2016, 09:55 PM »
If the magnets are strong enough, they'll work well. I use both velcro and magnets on my kit.
I really like the white armour idea vod! It looks awesome.
I know if you join the Assassin brigade, it is recommended that you have dark colours to blend in better, but I do not know if Snipers are required to blend in.
It looks good so far.

Mi'ix

« Reply #16 on: Jun 20, 2016, 10:46 PM »
I use velcro for both of kits armor to vest attachment.  I get the industrial strength stuff with the adhesive on the back.  My Ver'alor was kind enough to sew it into my vest using fishing line. 

Some people use bolts, but I'm not that quite precise!   :laugh:

Also, white looks good, when it's weathered!

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Ajoliveira

« Reply #17 on: Jun 20, 2016, 11:17 PM »
Also, white looks good, when it's weathered!

Mi'ix vod, are you refering weathered velco, like knees or shins?  ;D
Btw, I've been thinking on apply battle damage to my kit (I'm aware that's a bit difficult when pre-apps  :laugh:) but for what I've seen in another wip's, people do it on 6mm sintra, and mine is 3mm, so I think I must be extra carefull to not damage the intregrety of the piece  ???
But, you or anyone can point me some tutorials for applying damage?
I think I've seen a few, but they were made when painting the armor, 3/4/5 layers, i believe  :laugh:
But carving on pvc, especialy when mine is 3mm, wow, i don't wanna damage what i've done so far.. :/
Ty  ;D

Ajoliveira

« Reply #18 on: Jun 20, 2016, 11:27 PM »
If the magnets are strong enough, they'll work well. I use both velcro and magnets on my kit.
I really like the white armour idea vod! It looks awesome.
I know if you join the Assassin brigade, it is recommended that you have dark colours to blend in better, but I do not know if Snipers are required to blend in.
It looks good so far.

Hi vod, ty for the feed-back PhantonBlade  ;D
Appreciated  ;D
Well, i don't know if I'm worrying to much with colour patterns or not, but lately I've been thinkg a lot :/
I'm really focus on applying to Brigades that I don't wanna get dissapointed, mess up my kit, etc etc... ???
First, the entire kit completed, than... the rest lol  :laugh:
Ty

Mi'ix

« Reply #19 on: Jun 21, 2016, 01:27 AM »
Careful with the double posting, vod. That'll get you on the bad list with the tech team pretty quick. In the future, just go back and modify your original post and merge the second posting into the first.

Ha, I was actually referring to your armor concept where you have white plates. If you go that route, they'll dirty up nicely.

As for battle damage I just added a few dents and scrapes with my dremel. A couple light passes will do.  Unless you really press with your tool, you should be ok keeping the plate intact, minus your intended damage of course.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Jaing

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #20 on: Jun 21, 2016, 01:30 AM »
Careful with the double posting, vod. That'll get you on the bad list with the tech team pretty quick. In the future, just go back and modify your original post and merge the second posting into the first.

This. Double posting is against the forum rules.

Ajoliveira

« Reply #21 on: Jun 22, 2016, 06:06 PM »
This. Double posting is against the forum rules.

Wow, I'm truly sorry, didn't realized  :-X
Won't happen again, sorry :(

Yesterday and today I have been working on knees, my hole set is Jango Templates but I'm not going for Jango, I'm doing a "normal costum" Mando :)
For example, can I use Boba Fett knees (unmodifed) on my Mando? Or can I design knees by hand and build them?
I'm writting this because I look the templates I have, and after cutting them and assembled, I think I didn't "love" them, the shape, i didnt really "fell in love for them", sorry :$:$
In the moment I think if I do by sketch, the knees may be "better", I don't know :$:$

Kris Jasra

« Reply #22 on: Jun 22, 2016, 07:17 PM »
There are a few different varieties of knees available for modern builds, if you look through, you have the Fett style, Galaxies, Legacy (shin/knee combined) CW cartoon. Try and use one/more of those as your basis for custom designing.

If you're having no leg armour (like Boba) then try not to make your knees tiny. Smaller sized knees can work but only with heavier shin and thigh armour so that the legs still look well covered and not bare.

Also when designing, do not use any other armour template. Shoulders are not knees. Upside-down shoulders are still not knees... :P

« Reply #23 on: Jun 22, 2016, 07:18 PM »
Feel free to mix and match Boba and Jango templates as they're both modern era. Knee designs vary widely and many people do completely custom knees. You may also see some individuals use shin/knee combo, clone knees, etc.  For example, I'm largely using Jango templates for my legs, however I'm using Boba knees.

And don't worry too much about the double posting, just try not to do it again.  If you want to update, just edit the previous post if no one has replied since you updated, or just wait 48 hours and post again (I think it's 48 hours).

Ajoliveira

« Reply #24 on: Jul 01, 2016, 01:52 PM »
Update - 01-07-2016

(Hope this won't be considered double-posting, so sorry about it)

Hi everyone  :D

In the last few days I was able to work on the knees, and so far the result is this:

(I was a quick shot, sorry  :laugh:)

A few questions:
1 - The size is ok? I think it fit well...
2 - I'm working with sintra, so the best way to attacht this? Velcro or snaps?
3 - Can I use knees without the jig part? :S
4 - This knees are Boba Fett and I'm working with Jango Templates... :S Can I also try and use Death Watch, for example? :S

I saw this online and just loved it  ;D
May I use them?  :-[

Ty in advance and have a nice weekend  ;D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!