Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Let's start building a Mando (new here and first time W.I.P) - Approved :D:D

• 314 Replies

Ajoliveira

• Proud Member of the Mandalorian Mercs Costume Club
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more 15+ clan level invasions
Re: Let's start building a Mando (new here and first time W.I.P)
« Reply #25 on: Jul 06, 2016, 11:36 PM »
Update - 06-07-2016

Yesterday I bought this gloves, 12.00€:

And today I as able to do the armor for them  ;D

Question: Those 2 fingers, should I leave them like it is or maybe paint them in black? :S

In the next few day I'm gonna post upper armor + vest   ;D

« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2016, 11:45 PM by Ajoliveira » Logged

KOVA #0022 | M.A.R.S #52 | M.V.S #52

Mi'ix

• Ideals are peaceful. History is violent.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #26 on: Jul 07, 2016, 08:18 AM »
Gloves look good.  I would leave them as they are so you don't get more complicated with paint than you have to.

The plates on the top of the gloves look a bit too bit.  Just a little trim and you'll be there.

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

Mandalorian Mercs Brigade Application Form

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Tra'cor Clan || M.V.S. #41|| M.A.B.E.L. #60 || 72 Official Invasions

Reginmund

• Gar taldin ni jaonyc; gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la
« Reply #27 on: Jul 07, 2016, 11:56 AM »
Update - 01-07-2016
I saw this online and just loved it  ;D
May I use them?  :-[

I would say that the holster is acceptable based on other recent questions people have asked. I do know that some have used Velcro to attach small pieces of "armor" to cover the buckles. You will also need to weather the gear for sure. If you want an official answer I would go to the Q&A forum and fill out the question form found here.

C.A. #67 | M.A. #160 | M.A.D. #69 | M.A.R.S. #64 |M.L.C.S. #32 | VABS

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #28 on: Jul 07, 2016, 05:26 PM »
They are acceptable providing any velcro or elastic is completely hidden. We do prefer leather over tac gear, however as said above, adding plates and such can be a great alternative to help make an earthy looking holster just that little bit more star warsy

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Ajoliveira

« Reply #29 on: Aug 02, 2016, 08:35 AM »
Update - 02-08-2016

After a week on holydays with gf, got my head clean, focus and prepared to move foward on my building  ;D

I know I havent done much, specially when making my vest is becoming a problem, resized a couple of times, building from scratch 2 times and still havent done it right  :'(

Nevertheless, I got 2 shippements received:

Westar from Nirob

Chest Display from Fi-8015

Purchased this yesterday near home

Any comments appreciaded, especially for the belt and holsters, I think it's ok, but will be happy to have any feed-back on these  :-[
Ty in advance  ;D

Ajoliveira

« Reply #30 on: Aug 22, 2016, 12:16 AM »
Update - 22-08-2016

Such an happy news, specially when is MandoMonday  ;D ;D

A few more days and u are home  ;D

And this:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good week vods  ;D

Ajoliveira

« Reply #31 on: Aug 26, 2016, 05:24 PM »
Update - 26-08-2016

Tights are done and vest is almost finnished :-[

Now, I've been struggling myself, I don't know  :-X
Still back, knees, cod and shins left and already tried once knees and shins, not pictured here cause I dont loved the result... I know this is all about pacience, skill, try and error, try and error, but I feel I'm loosing it... The passion, the goal of OM, they are still here, but last 3 weeks I have no good result, here no one to help or ask 4 tips, locals to buy material, kinda "all alone" in this and when the (few) results are not quite espected, sh*t, I'm loosing it  :-X I don't know  :-X :( (sorry 4 this)

Ajoliveira

« Reply #32 on: Sep 01, 2016, 08:28 AM »
Update - 01-09-2016

Yesterday got some free time and:

- Vest with neck seal completed:

A little try out, now with the upper armor:

(Need a little more trimming, the sintra kinda lost is shape in the lower section of the chest  :'()

Any toughts, suggestions?
This step been completed, may give me more "strengt" to complete the building  :-X

Ty ;D

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #33 on: Sep 01, 2016, 07:18 PM »
Nice work on the vest, looking good! The plates seem just a tad bit big, but judging by how they are sitting, they seem okay. At the most I'd trim the outer edges of the chest and collar plates, but I'd get a second opinion on them first. Coming along good though!

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #34 on: Sep 02, 2016, 05:13 AM »
Overall looking really good, the edges of the plates are really nicely straight cut. And you're right, just a touch more shaping at the bottom of the chest plates.

They do look a little large though. For now, trim a little off the edges and see how that looks.

For the length you may want to throw on your cod or cod template and your girth belt or something that will take up the same room as your girth belt to make sure you have enough room for both of them below the plates.
If not, take a tiny bit off the bottom edge of the collar and move the rest of the plates up, then take a tiny bit off the bottom of the gut plate.

Also, love that neckseal, much neater than my first vest was :)

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Ajoliveira

« Reply #35 on: Sep 02, 2016, 02:19 PM »
Wow, ty so much for the feed-back guys  ;D

In fact, I spend almost 2 months and 5/6 meters of pleather to achive this result, so banging my head against a wall worked very well  >:( :laugh: :laugh:

I was thinking at the size of the upper armor, and you two confirm it, 1st were XL and this are Large, but a little trimming must be done cause in the end, fat is fat and belly is belly :) :laugh:

Now that vest is done, next step is:

- Cod
- Sash
- Kama

The main industry of my city is related to shoes , hats (I think we supply the brittish police + Harrison Ford in Indiana Jones) and fabrics, leather and pleather, sooooo.... fkng cheeaaappp  :laugh: :laugh:

Nevertheless, this are a quick pics I take:
(sasha is not made, only the fabrics around my waist)

I have been thinking of using this blue on the sash, what do you think? Any thougts?

Ty all  ;D

« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2016, 02:38 PM by Ajoliveira » Logged

Mi'ix

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Brigades Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Boba and Jango
« Reply #36 on: Sep 02, 2016, 03:16 PM »
I like it.

We haven't seen what kind of weathering you're going to add to your kit, but the blue should dirty of very nicely.  It also looks like there's some of your flak vest popping out of your right side there.  Make sure that either gets tucked in, or your vest may need some additional tailoring to make sure it fits just so.

I'm a little late to the party on the plates, but I'm in agreement that the plates look a wee bit large in addition to some minor plate shaping at the bottom of your chest plates.  Either way, everything is coming together nicely. :)

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Ajoliveira

« Reply #37 on: Sep 02, 2016, 04:03 PM »
Hi Mi'ix how are u vod?  ;D

Sorry all, once again I forgot to mention: my vest in the 2 pics its not closed in the back, my gf was not at home and I need help to close the zip in the back, thats why its popping and loose  :laugh:

Ty for your reply, having vods helping out its more easier and I dont feel so alone in this  :-[  ;D

I think I wanna go for sniper and im afraid that the blue is not good but I LOVE this blue so much  ;D but it must go dirty, very dirty and I dont know how  :P

The sash can be wrapped around the waish a few times? And close it with snaps? I think the kama should cover it  ;D it must be on the top of the kama right?

Ty all  ;D

Kris Jasra

« Reply #38 on: Sep 02, 2016, 08:10 PM »
I love that shade of blue. I wear my sash over the top edge of my kama and the bottom edge of my vest so all the fixing are hidden. Snaps are fine, I've used them on my belt.

Kol Varek

• Beanpole (Formerly Kol Var'Das)
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #39 on: Sep 03, 2016, 02:41 PM »
Also, love that neckseal, much neater than my first vest was :)

And mine..but we don't discuss my first vest. That's why I paid for mine  :P

If you insist on wielding a hammer, you better be sure you can correctly identify a nail.

Reginmund

« Reply #40 on: Sep 05, 2016, 08:26 AM »
Quote from: Ajoliveira
I think I wanna go for sniper and im afraid that the blue is not good but I LOVE this blue so much  ;D but it must go dirty, very dirty and I dont know how  :P

There are a lot of ways to dirty fabric. To name a few:

Shoe polish (Blacks, Browns, Mahogany)
Tea/Coffee staining
Spray paint
Fabric paint
Ink
Sun bleaching
Sand paper
Use the fabric to wipe brake dust from car wheels
I don't like the look but, tears and cuts with frayed edges

My favorite weathering? Natural. Wear the sash when you are working in the yard, in the house cooking, while you are under your car changing the oil, wipe your hands on it when they get dirty... you get the point. You want to build up multiple types of wear and stains for a realistic look. When you wash the fabric use the hottest water and drier setting, cheap detergent and a liquid fabric softener will help fade and wear the fabric too. I plan on letting my daughter play with my fabrics, she should be 2 1/2-3 years old by the time my soft parts are ready. I might even let my son play with them too, as he will be 6 months - 1 year old by then. Kids can get anything dirty. haha

Ajoliveira

« Reply #41 on: Sep 13, 2016, 05:02 PM »
UPDATE - 13-09-2016

Wow, Reginmund ty so much for the tips  ;D been thinking lately who to do black wash and u helped a lot, ty so much  ;D

Now, cod is done:

Decided to attach a small belt to it  ;D obviusly the sash/girth will cover the top of the cod and the "undercover" belt ;D  ;D

Now, before moving foward, time to trim a bit upper armor:

Cutted 0.5 cm and the diference is notorius  :laugh:

Then, time to google and search how to make a sash, I wrapped it but need to find a way to close it  :laugh:
A few days ago I become Supporter, wich give me acess to brigades and been learning a lot since them   :P ;D

Ty all  ;D

AJ

« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2016, 05:33 PM by Ajoliveira » Logged

Reginmund

« Reply #42 on: Sep 13, 2016, 11:16 PM »
Not a problem! I spend way too much time on this forum, The Dented Helmet, and The RPF. Combine that with some real world experience...and you get a bunch of random knowledge that occasionally comes in handy.

Can't help much on the sash, unless you want to do a belly dancer style (minus the metal bits), or maybe a pirate style. :laugh:

Mi'ix

« Reply #43 on: Sep 14, 2016, 08:19 AM »
How are those plates looking on you now that you've done some trimming?

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Ajoliveira

« Reply #44 on: Sep 19, 2016, 06:58 PM »
How are those plates looking on you now that you've done some trimming?

Hi Mi'ix  ;D

I must do a final shapping and when its done, I will upload pics  :rolleyes: ;D

Been very busy last 2 weeks but today I got a few time left and been working on attaching thigh armor:

Tried to apply "a little bit" (kinda of 2 much, sh*t) of epoxy to hold better the thigh armor and a quick shot to see the placement... :-[

Now, time to let dry and tomorrow lets see  :P ;D

Ty all and a nice week vods  ;D

AJ

Ajoliveira

« Reply #45 on: Sep 26, 2016, 07:21 PM »
Update - 26-09-2016

Boot armor done:

I think I pretty happy with the result of them, obviusly tried to walk around home, did a little jumps (lol) and they didnt come off  :P

In the next few days will try to figure out how to make a sash (specially close it)  ???
Will be simple as a simple knot in the back?  ??? ???
(have my brain fried and gonna bang my head into a wall)

Since I have no clan, Dha Bral pointed me Vi-Caeirn, the European Regional Ruus'sol, and already contacted her in order to help me out, in case of clarifications and building related stuff  :-[

After almost one month, today the Portuguese Customs updated my LoneWolf helmet shipping status and finally they gave green light to get it out of the Customs and in the next few days (weeks?!) gonna receive it  ??? >:(

AJ

Kris Jasra

« Reply #46 on: Sep 26, 2016, 09:17 PM »
Whoooo, yay for the customs release. Boot looks good too.

Tie could work, or velcro, snaps, buttons or buckles. All depend on the material, some work better with thinner material, some work better with heavier material.

And Vi won't steer you wrong. Do feel free to keep poking me if you need anything too.

Ajoliveira

« Reply #47 on: Sep 27, 2016, 12:44 PM »
Ty so much 4 the feed-back Kris  ;D

And hell yeah, guess what came in the mail today  ;D :P

Yesterday they gave green light and today already received it  ;D :P
Arrived in Portugal on 29th and only today received, almost 2 months of waiting (and i got luck, normal time is 3 months or more, sh*t)
And I payed more 61.00€ to take the helmet from there, damm  >:(

Later will take more pics  ;D :P
Ty all

AJ

Mi'ix

« Reply #48 on: Sep 27, 2016, 03:08 PM »
Now you'll have to update your signature!

I would consider trimming the shoulder bells on your flak vest as they look a little billowy right now. 

Any updates on the final shaping of those chest plates? 

Looking very nice and I'm excited to see how that chest display goes in.  :)

Legends - Protector 
Canon - ESB Boba Fett

BH/TI/TS/MW 65041

Ajoliveira

« Reply #49 on: Sep 29, 2016, 01:08 PM »
Hi Mi'ix  ;D

Ty so much, I'm feeling reliefed and happy that everyone says it looks good, it means that I'm in the right track  :-[ ;D

In fact, have too much work latelly and havent too much free time (houseduties with gf are a pain in the @ss, but its a must ahah)  :-[

The only and relevant fact that I have is this moron pic (ahah):

Now, more seriusly, will try to do once again the final shape in my chest plates, cause I don't know why my right chest plate somehow loose a lit bit his shape in the lower corner  :-X :'( :'(

I'm already seeing paint & damage tutorials, I really wanna start painting assap, here in Portugal our Comic Con is on the 2nd week of December and I wanna so bad use it for the 1st time there  :-[ :-[

Ops, I forget: Mi'ix I didnt understand the "billowy" part, can u please explain better vod?

AJ

« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2016, 01:14 PM by Ajoliveira » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!