Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Build, early crusader acklay hunter.

• 28 Replies
First Build, early crusader acklay hunter.
« on: Apr 25, 2016, 06:07 AM »
Greetings Vod,

Glad to be here and excited to get started on my first kit!
I plan on doing an early crusader kit as i was blown away when i saw Seugtai's kit and was absolutely inspired though im sure mine will pale in comparison.

I want to build a kit to resemble chitin plates rather than the bone you see often in EC builds, of there is someone on the app team that sees this post care to chime in and let me know if this is an approvable material for EC kits?

First sketch to give an idea of where i want to go with this;

I want to make a half cape, loin cloth (with chitin plates attached) and possibly a kama from different leathers stitched together in a motley sort of look as if i had made them from beasts i had killed.

Breathing tubes will be connected to either side of the bucket and connected to a cylinder attached to the back plate.

Gauntlets will be a little different, i plan on mking the right gauntlet able to hold a selection of drug capsules - bacta, stims, tranqs etc as i plan on making a needle type sidearm to suit.
The left gaunt i would like to have a dual punch dagger type thino protruding from the end, made to resemble a bone spur/ chitin material.

And onto colours, well the leathers will be various natural shades so that one is easy. Flight suit will be a medium grey. The chitin which would make up most of the armor plates etc i am very tempted to go with shades of green and browns, with natural mottling.

Ive made a spear to go with the kit which can be found here;
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=112453.0
Helmet link    http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=120908.msg1632564#msg1632564

Bone sword link    http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=115087.msg1582144#msg1582144

Cheers!

« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2016, 12:23 AM by Dacian » Logged

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: First Build, early crusader acklay hunter.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 07:24 AM »
Chitin as in exoskeleton type material a la crabs, lobsters etc? I can't see anything wrong with that, although I'd use a mix of more common bone and chitin to keep it both traditional and to give it your own flair.

From your drawing for example, do the upper chest leather,  gauntlets and ab plates in bone and the rest chitin.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 05:11 AM »
Thanks Kris,

I was debating using a mixture of materials, im glad you had a similar thought.
Perhaps i go with bone for the chest and back plate, gaunts and shins. Chitin for shoulders, ab and thighs?

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 06:02 AM »
Sounds like a pretty good mix, nicely balanced.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 05:03 AM »
Update time!

So i knocked up my thigh armor plates and hit them with a bit of paint so i could get some feedback from you all.

What do you think of this? Still a little wet on the wash, and could do with a highlight or two but you get the general gist.

Full WIP to follow at some point.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 05:06 AM by Dacian » Logged

Kris Jasra

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 05:08 AM »
Looks like an acklay to me.

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 08:39 PM »
As you have started building, I'm moving this to the armour components section.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 07:19 PM »
That looks really good, vod.  Very nice.  Looking forward to more.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 07:21 PM »
Thanks for moving it Carid.

Cheers for the comments, this may be a slow process but l will at least try to get the chitin plates completed soonish and start work on the bone.
Have several pieces of leather already which will become my half cape and loin cloth, possibly kama as well.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 07:33 PM »
I'm curious how this will turn out.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 04:01 AM »
Nice paint job, I like the edges, the colours are cool as well
Nicely done mate, with out reading your post, the pics reminded me of something like she'll of a crab
Great work

Tanosia

• Shiny.
  • Awards 40+ hrs Charity Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs of charity work recorded Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 04:19 AM »
liking the concept and definitely liking the job you've done on the plates. Looking forward to seeing this progress and be worn :D

MMCC #962
Approved 2014
Sandhawk Clan Ver'alor 2015
Sandhawk Clan Alor'ad 2016
Oceania Regional Ver'Sol 2017 - 2018
Oceania Regional Commander 2019 - 2021
Oceania Regional Commander 2023 - Current
« Reply #12 on: Jun 20, 2016, 06:26 PM »
Greeting all,

Slight update, I wish this was going a little quicker but alasbwith moving and starting a new job most of ny stuff is still in boxes.
You can see one of my weapons finished for this kit here;
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=115087.0
The flightsuit is ordered and on its way, wasnt my original colour choice but with a little weathering black will work, and will help the bone and chitin colours pop i think.
Like so;

Cheers

Choruk Kar'ta

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #13 on: Jun 21, 2016, 12:16 AM »
know the feeling vod. currently building my man/hobby room. so all the kit making stuff is in boxes. total chaos at home XD
what color flightsuit was your first plan? ofc black will work but if you want a different color buy that one or you will regret it later on :)

Burc'ya vaal burk'yc, burc'ya veman
« Reply #14 on: Jun 21, 2016, 08:32 AM »
Was originally going to go for a sort of tan colour, but that was really for ease of weathering haha.
I think black will work, if it doesnt no worries, just means i have a new set of overalls for my work room ;)

« Reply #15 on: Jun 21, 2016, 11:38 AM »
Flightsuit looks nice.which one is it?

« Reply #16 on: Jun 30, 2016, 06:20 PM »
Sorry about being lax, here is a bit of an update.

Bucket started, still very much a wip but you xan see where i am going with it, i will start a thread in the helmet section at some point.

Here you can see how i am going to mount my breathing tubes.

And how they will sort of look once attached

Bracers and Shnees fiberglassed ready for the bondo treatment, ab plate here as well.

As always comments welcome.
Cheers,

Dacian

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #17 on: Jun 30, 2016, 06:24 PM »
good start! I see much bondo and sanding in the future! ;D

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Choruk Kar'ta

• Aliit ori'shya tal'din
« Reply #18 on: Jul 01, 2016, 11:30 AM »
ooooooo vod those parts look nice :) how much diameters are those tubes? I got 3cm gas mask tubes :) 

Burc'ya vaal burk'yc, burc'ya veman
« Reply #19 on: Jul 01, 2016, 08:22 PM »
I have no idea, maybe 18-20mm
They connect to a T piece at the back, which in turn connects to a cylinder which will be mounted on my back plate.

« Reply #20 on: Sep 26, 2016, 12:19 AM »
Update time, i realisr that I am necroing my own thread, but with a large enough update to be worthwhile, it also allows me to update the original post to contain other links to my WIPs for one easily accessible location.

I have done quite a bit of work on my helmet as you can see in the following link, visor yet to be determined and installed
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=120908.msg1632564#msg1632564

I have also done a bit of work on the rest of the armor plates, taking aboard the suggestions above i have decided to have a mixture of both Acklay inspired chitin plates as well as bone.
Shnees, half gaunts, chest and back plate will be bone whilst thighs, ab plate, helmet and shoulders will remain chitin.

Well then, pics or it didnt happen
Start to sculpt out the ridges on the half gaunts, the idea is borrowed from Zoogys magnificent build and what she did on her thigh plates

Fiberglass and bondo over the shnees, you can see the basic shape i am going for here

Smoother again with a view of the half gaunts getting the same treatment

Quick dusting of spray paint to show me major depressions before i start building up the ridges

Pity about the lighting, but here you can see the completed thigh and ab plates to mimic chitin

And finally starting to get those ridges on the shnees

The shnees will be attached with velcro to the flightsuit as well as having leather buckles around the leg to hold them in place. As for the half gaunts, the plan with those is to attach them to a pair of leather archery bracers and have leather strapping/wrap criscrossing atound the wrist.

Expect further updates soon, i have given myself a deadline so i gotta get cracking

As always comments are more than welcome.

Dacian

Mojo Khuriso

• "Ni copikla gar runi"-I desire your soul
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #21 on: Sep 28, 2016, 09:31 AM »
This is turning into an awesome build vod!!! It's taxing and time consuming but DEFINITELY well worth it!!! I can't wait to see the finished product 😊😊

I can smell your fear...this hunt will be all too easy...
« Reply #22 on: Sep 28, 2016, 04:52 PM »
Thanks for the confidence boost Mojo, i cant wait to see it completed either, finally see all the pieces of the puzzle coming together

« Reply #23 on: Oct 01, 2016, 03:40 AM »
Thanks for the confidence boost Mojo, i cant wait to see it completed either, finally see all the pieces of the puzzle coming together

Slight update.
Shnees and half gaunts finally getting the right sort of shape, just need to smooth out the edges, get some sandpaper to them and i should be ready to prime hopefully before the end of the weekend

Still need to add some spot putty here and there and fill in a couple of cracks

Same story on the half gaunts, bit of spot putty to go, some sanding and we should be sweet, profile is looking good at least

As always comments, critique and questions all welcome

« Reply #24 on: Oct 16, 2016, 04:01 AM »
Greetings Vod,

Hopefully enough of an update that i forgo the "thou shalt not double post".

More shaping on the 'bone' pieces of armor and begun throwing on a bit of paint.

Quick test fit of the half gaunts to make sure they will sit as intended.

Base coat for the bone is an ivory white as you can see here

First layers of weathering and shadows applied. Going for an aged bone sort of look, it wont be as dark as it appears here and for some reason my camera makes these more yellow than they are in person. Still a few more layers to go

Started roughing out the chest armor as well, ive added some more to the 'sternum' area since this pic to raise it up some and give it some more definition.

And you can see here what im going to do with the shoulders, i didnt want them to be identical so... they aren't.

The half gaunts (bracers), shnees, chest and back plates will be 'bone' whilst the shoulders will be very similar to my chitin pieces i have done earlier.

As always, feedback, questions etc more than welcomed.
Dacian

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!