Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Questions about building a Boba...

• 5 Replies

Drek'ar Ventress

• Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Questions about building a Boba...
« on: Apr 27, 2016, 10:52 AM »
Looking to start building a ROTJ Boba soon, but I have some questions.  When I first found the MMCC I originally wanted to build a Boba.  However, after looking around, it seemed that starting with a custom mando was easier, more forgiving and cheaper.  However I never lost the desire to have a Boba.  My questions are directed more so at those who have completed Boba's or are currently working/building one...

How much of the kit were you able to make yourself?  I thoroughly enjoyed building my kit and would like to try to build as much of a Boba kit as possible.

The items you are unable to make yourself, where is the best place to acquire the items?

Aprox how much money did you put into your kit?

Dha Bral

• Both Predator and Prey
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Legends of Mandalore Brigade Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months 2016 EnviroOps
Re: Questions about building a Boba...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2016, 08:46 PM »
This is the thousand(s) dollar question.

Firstly, stay off eBay unless is MOW, mojo_Skywalker, or myself (but I took all my sales down so I could catch up.

I'll give you MOWs email if you need something.
To all out buy the majority of your pieces unfinished in kit form, you're looking at around $3.5k, give or take $500 for a good quality kit.
You can make a lot of the soft parts, but you'll have to buy some, if not all the soft parts, and almost if not all of the armor components if you want top quality; unless you can craft leather and are extremely skilled and have the proper tools. Standards have risen over the years, and Fett quality with them. If you go hunting for a year or two so, you can occasionally find deals and snatch them up if you're quick, but you may only shave $1k off your top dollar.

As far as acquiring items, The Dented Helmet is the best place, hands down. If you want opinions on vendors and their pieces, I'm happy to give you mine, just shoot me a PM or hit me up on a messenger. I make a few pieces and  a few kits myself, and have a few odds and ends around as well. So if you're stuck or don't know what a good price is, don't be afraid to ask the questions.

« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2016, 09:03 PM by Dha Bral » Logged
It's spelled "Canon", not "Cannon".

(SHHH!!! I found the secret to getting OM approved!)

Drek'ar Ventress

• Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2016, 10:31 PM »
Awesome, this is exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you Dha!

I knew it was gonna be pricey.  I'm not looking to build one next month, but I want to start looking into the process and possibly have one built this time next year, or a little longer if needed.  My OCD will probably make it take longer, but I'm ok with that.

I've got MOW bookmarked on eBay, I've heard lots of good things about his stuff from TDH.  I will probably be in touch with you at some point.  Maybe a better idea for me, would be to start collecting possible places to get the items I need and then get some opinions from you/here on quality.

Thank you again for your response, and I will be in touch with you in the future.  Thanks!

By the way, your current build is beautiful :o.  Only hope mine looks similar one day.

« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2016, 10:41 PM by StangTtops88 » Logged

Dha Bral

• Both Predator and Prey
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Legends of Mandalore Brigade Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months 2016 EnviroOps
« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2016, 01:40 AM »
Yours will get there if you are persistent. The first thing you have to do is decide which Fett to build. There are many more than just the "Big 3" (ESB, ROTJ, ROTJ SE) ;)
All will cost you about the same, pros and cons to each.

It's spelled "Canon", not "Cannon".

(SHHH!!! I found the secret to getting OM approved!)
« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2016, 12:30 PM »
I have MOW gauntlets, boots, flight suit and jet pack for my Supertrooper. He has new molds for his pack I think so there may be less finishing work involved than I put into mine. I am happy with all my parts from him for the price and he provides excellent customer service- which is important to me. The only thing that is a pain is the 2 piece flight suit - but that is easy to fix by connecting the 2 and having it tailored. My armor is Bobamaker. Excellent products but he is very busy and it can take some time to get your stuff- which is fine if you use the wait time to build other stuff.

I have been buying as many found parts as I can so my costs aren't a fair representation of what it would cost a normal build but $3500 in parts is pretty accurate. If you can't paint it yourself expect that to jump a lot and also increase the wait time. I have all my build info on TDH under the same user name. If you have any questions on vendor experiences/ parts - feel free to message me.

« Reply #5 on: Jun 28, 2016, 09:25 PM »
Agreed to everything above, MOW has great stuff, I wear his jumpsuit, gauntlets, boots and jet pack myself, had my Fett 501st approved a few years back and just started trooping again this year. And again, thedentedhelmet.com is the holy grail for anything related to building a Fett. You can make everything yourself, you can find tutorials and blue prints for just about every piece of the suit, it all depends on how crafty you are.  And plenty of great vendors as well.  The ammo belt is one of the easiest self builds in my opinion, batninjas ammo belt tutorial is spot on.  I find it easier to purchas quality hard parts (armor and such) from the vendors there and assemble and paint myself. But thats up to you to determine yourself.  Good luck with your build!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!